Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That sure was a whole lot of nothing as a season ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next season will be a whole lotta nothing, too.

Whole Lotta Nothing: The TV Show.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

See y'all in 18 months!

Nah, probably not.

I haven't watched the last 2 episodes and frankly I don't think I care anymore. Maybe I'll put them in while I clean.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

That sure was a whole lot of nothing as a season ending.

Suits the rest of the season then

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
So did Shadow somehow move the house or make all the cops disappear? I couldn't really figure out what was happening in those scenes.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Oasx posted:

So did Shadow somehow move the house or make all the cops disappear? I couldn't really figure out what was happening in those scenes.

ikr, it seemed like an awful lot of buildup to a conflict that shadow literally just hand waved away which is way out of character for this show

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What staggers me is that the whole cop/media thing was the season finale and not like the inciting incident of episode 3.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

It's like whatever you want man...

Seriously, this season was a waste of time. I don't think I will watch s3 week to week. It's interesting how this s2 and Westworld s2 were both a major decline from their s1 but in vastly different ways.

TV is giving us a master class right now in how to gently caress up over arcing story lines.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Westworld decided to go nuts with the story, and American Gods decided to just not have a story at all.

So does this mean that Shadow is Wednesday's son and he also has magical powers? That seems like what they were getting at when Shadow was dragged into Yggdrasil and then swiped those cops away. That's kind of interesting, but what a wet fart of an episode. New Media goes nuts setting up Wednesday and Shadow to be arrested for whatever crimes and then Shadow deletes the cops, and then... nothing? Did Wednesday know it would all blow over? I get that the show is called American Gods but that doesn't make that deus ex machina by Shadow to wipe out Mr. World's big play any less stupid and pointless. Mr. World looks like a feckless loser now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought shadow was going to cause the big explosion they kept referencing?? like his wiping the toys away was going to be the shockwave or whatever

but nope??

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That would have been good as the 1st/2nd episode of the season setting up mysteries for the rest of it. Having to wait 12-18 months to see if any of that actually meant anything, not so much.

It's a shame because this season was still visually great. Something needed to happen though and it just didn't.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I only watched the first two episodes and they sucked. That's really funny they fired the show creator and lost Gillian Anderson for this crap. Geniuses

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I liked the bits where he was pulled into the tree. Cool way handling him realizing he's been an idiot this whole time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

night slime posted:

I only watched the first two episodes and they sucked. That's really funny they fired the show creator and lost Gillian Anderson for this crap. Geniuses

They fired Fuller because he wanted a Game of Thrones budget for a show that was getting mediocre ratings.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oasx posted:

They fired Fuller because he wanted a Game of Thrones budget for a show that was getting mediocre ratings.

And then they ended up spending close to what he wanted in reshoots and delays

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And then they ended up spending close to what he wanted in reshoots and delays

And tanked the ratings even more, is my guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Most of the previous episodes I could at least appreciate the style and world building, but that was kinda poo poo as an episode and awful as a finale.

New Media's not even fun as a character you love to hate, she's just meh.

We were supposed to understand what even happened? Shadow got sucked into the world tree and then they both disappeared and he saw the funeral home as a child's toy and wiped away all the cops which made them disappear and then the whole world forgot about the nationwide manhunt? What?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

We were supposed to understand what even happened? Shadow got sucked into the world tree and then they both disappeared and he saw the funeral home as a child's toy and wiped away all the cops which made them disappear and then the whole world forgot about the nationwide manhunt? What?

:wtc:

Did they already announce a third season? I hope not, Ricky Little should move on to something, you know, good. Ian McShane, too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Looking at the current intro it really is a case of them needing more executive producers for season 3.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Johnny Truant posted:

:wtc:

Did they already announce a third season?

Yes with a former TWD showrunner as the new showrunner:
https://deadline.com/2019/03/american-gods-season-3-renewed-new-showrunner-1202576699/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait for 8 episodes of Wednesday sitting in that restaurant, asking for various condiments. Then, in the season finale, he asks for the check.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh wow. So a show that is dragging on a good day... gets a showrunner from AMC's show that does nothing but drag. That'll be fun.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh wow. So a show that is dragging on a good day... gets a showrunner from AMC's show that does nothing but drag. That'll be fun.

Well, on the even more negative side, before AMC he worked on Dexter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh god this couldn't get any worse could it?

joepinetree posted:

Oh.

:suicide:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
At this point I'm rooting for Mr. World to talk to the main characters and bore them to death.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Gonz posted:

Next season will be a whole lotta nothing, too.

Whole Lotta Nothing: The TV Show.

Seriously. If they're doing the Mike Ainsel plotline I might just skip it. The boyfriend is excited for more, but he hasn't read the books. I have and I don't know if I want a season of Nothing In Wisconsin.

Cojawfee posted:

So does this mean that Shadow is Wednesday's son and he also has magical powers? That seems like what they were getting at when Shadow was dragged into Yggdrasil.

That is exactly what they were getting at.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 30, 2019

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

joepinetree posted:

Give me Ricky Little riding a boat into a fuckin hurricane with deadwife and I might be pleased?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I just got a chance to watch Sunday’s episode and HOLY poo poo THAT SUCKED.

The only redeeming moment was, as always, the Djinn and Salim not-Salim. That was the only bit that didn’t feel absurdly forced or completely disposable.

I don’t know if I can summon the energy to care about Season 3.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like that they kept the door open to brining Mad Sweeny back. Pretty convenient that Laura is one step away from having an anti death potion.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
didnt realize this was the last episode of the season until i checked imdb

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I like that they kept the door open to brining Mad Sweeny back. Pretty convenient that Laura is one step away from having an anti death potion.

But they focused on her dipping her shoe in Sweeney’s blood to get the two drops, so she technically has all the ingredients for the anti-death potion!

I do have to say that one redeeming factor is that at no point has Shadow even approached “forgive and forget” with Dead Wife, and he's very clear that he doesn’t trust her and that she’s done nothing to earn his trust back. That’s more satisfying than the usual “You hosed me over entirely and repeatedly, but you facing danger or injury is enough to make me forgive everything because now I realize life is too short to ever be negative!”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

END ME SCOOB posted:

Legion and Westworld both loving cratered for me in recent memory.

Legion's second season also had... questionable pacing but that was because plot progression took a backseat to more character development and exploration, which is actually central to the story and theme. And it actually concludes several arcs and resolves dangling plot threads by the end of the season.

It holds up as long as you go in aware it slows down.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Legion season two was superior to the first one in my opinion.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Outside of the Mad Sweeney origin story episode I doubt I'll remember a single other thing that happened this season a few weeks from now.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Seriously. If they're doing the Mike Ainsel plotline I might just skip it. The boyfriend is excited for more, but he hasn't read the books. I have and I don't know if I want a season of Nothing In Wisconsin.

That is exactly what they were getting at.

His ID at the end confirmed it. He's taking that bus to Lakeside and you know it.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Bring back Mad Sweeney and all is forgiven honestly.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Mad Sweeney spin off series would be preferable. Mr. Nancy makes frequent guest appearances.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This season and the finale were so meh that it made me spoil the entire series on wikipedia because Im not sure I'll have the energy to keep following it. Sucks after a solid season 1 and its not like season 2 was all bad but theres only so much faffing about I can handle in any hour long show.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerkface posted:

This season and the finale were so meh that it made me spoil the entire series on wikipedia because Im not sure I'll have the energy to keep following it. Sucks after a solid season 1 and its not like season 2 was all bad but theres only so much faffing about I can handle in any hour long show.

I did the exact same thing. I read chapter summaries of the entire book. I can feel how slow season 3 will be.

S3 it's going to be an entire season of shadow in that Lakeside town as Michael, getting to know the locals, going on road trips failing to pick up gods... Nothing happens until the end of the season when someone recognizes him and turns him in for robbing the atm/bank

So yeah, gently caress this non plot...

I think after reading the wiki that there's only enough turning points for a 2 season miniseries like a UK show (think Life on Mars style).

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's one not particularly long novel. In fact it's short by the standards of contemporary epics. Stretching it into multiple seasons of television was insane. It could have been one top notch 12 episode series.