Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
testing your partner is some loving stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I rejected my girlfriend's proposal because she did the same to me a month ago?
My girlfriend and I have been together for 13 years. Since high school. Last year, we talked about getting married a million times. We talked about having kids. Hell, we even decided their names.

So, a couple of months ago, I asked my girlfriend to select a ring for herself. She was really excited and she told me she liked one from Tiffany's. Proposal was not a big deal for either of us. I got the ring for her and proposed. She said yes. And I was really happy. We discussed about making it official and she agreed with me. I wanted to make it a bit special, so I decided to tell our family on her birthday.

On her birthday, we hosted dinner for our families. It was a very small gathering. So, after dinner, I announced that we were getting married. Everyone was happy for us. At this point, idk what happened. She started crying and told me that she had second thoughts about getting married. Everyone was really shocked. She removed her ring and gave it back to me. It felt like a slap in my face. I just left. She later told me that she was really stressed and depressed and apologized. Things became lukewarm between us.

Now, her sister called me and told me that my girlfriend was going to propose on my birthday, which is next week. She told me that my gf felt really bad for what she did and she wanted to make it up to me. I plan on rejecting her proposal. I just want her to know how it really felt. WIBTA here?

Redditor posted:

INFO: Do you still want to marry her?

OP posted:

Idk. She ghosted me for a couple of months. And she didn't discuss anything with me. I need some time.

Puppy Doll
Dec 20, 2011

Hey everybody!
hmmmm yes, time to alienate my partner and the father of my child with insults and assorted ruses

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Twelve Batmans posted:

While this gave me a gross crawling feeling on my flesh, I'm a bit incredulous. Does this stuff actually work on people? People try this garbage?

Asking for a friend.

Threats of abandonment work very well on insecure people that fear abandonment, which it turns out is quite a few people. Another term for this is "dread game".

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Admiral Ray posted:

Threats of abandonment work very well on insecure people that fear abandonment, which it turns out is quite a few people. Another term for this is "dread game".

And imagine how insecure and desperate you must be if you are willing to go with a guy that looks like that guy on "The Pickup Artist."

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

(CA) Neighbor keeps taking our black trash bin on trash day and take out our trash to fill it with cement

quote:

so since last week I noticed my trash has been being taken from our neighbors but I didn't think much of it until I noticed it was filled with cement. I let it slide up until this week today to see if it was a one time thing. Next thing you know when I left to school the dude grabbed it, took my trash out, and filled it with cement yet again and my trash bin keeps breaking more than it already is. I'm going to speak with him later today in hopes he stops but I seriously doubt it won't. Many neighbors around here don't respect other peoples property. What can I do if he doesn't stop? I don't want to have to pay for another trash bin if it breaks or pay a bill from the trash company if it comes to that.

Sorry to ruin the illusion, but OP clarifies that it's chunks of cement, and not wet cement that dries in the trash can. Which makes this story a lot less interesting

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

JFairfax posted:

LOL you don't love weed that much then

Oh, I do. I'm just old and have kids now.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Puppy Doll posted:

hmmmm yes, time to alienate my partner and the father of my child with insults and assorted ruses

Pregnancy can make you literally crazy, but he should demand a paternity test, just in case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Pregnancy can make you literally crazy, but he should demand a paternity test, just in case.

A few pregnant women have posted already and said yeah it makes you crazy but not that drat crazy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (22F) boyfriend (23M) is getting into all my hobbies and now I have no alone time.

My boyfriend and I have been dating since high school, for about five years now. He graduated from college last May and I’m about to graduate myself. We moved in together after he graduated and got a full time job.

We’ve always had different hobbies with a small amount of overlap. He’s into woodworking and gardening—and I love appreciating the fruits of his labor with him (sometimes literally, because of the gardening). I’m into nerdy things and working out, and he thinks it’s cute when our dog thinks I’m playing while I’m doing push-ups and likes to ask me for random facts when we’re watching something that’s mainstream nerdy like LotR or Star Wars or a Superhero movie.

Living together has been fantastic. I get me time when I go to the comic store on Wednesdays, when I go to comic cons, when I meet weekly with my d&d group, etc

A couple months ago though, my boyfriend got sick and had to stay home from work. I had work and class and couldn’t stay home to dote on him all day, but he asked if he could borrow one of my nerdy books and I had him text me a list of stuff he wanted me to pick up for him and what kind of soup he wanted me to make him for dinner so I could get the ingredients. I grabbed the Thrawn trilogy for him, and by the end of the week he’d finished it and was hooked. Suddenly he’s engrossing himself in the Star Wars universe, and at first I was really excited. I leant him my books, answered his questions, helped him locate planets in the Atlas. He even started reading the Star Wars comics I have laying around.

The excitement I initially had at introducing him to all this is quickly waning away. Suddenly he’s going with me to the comic store. He’s asking when the next con I’m going to is and saying we should cosplay as Siri Tachi and Obi-Wan since we kind of look like them. He offered to fill the empty slot in our d&d group when he met our dm at my favorite game store, and of course he said yes because we need another player and he assumed I’d be excited about it.

I tried telling my boyfriend I need more time to myself, and at first he said that it was upsetting that I don’t want to spend more time with him, but when I explained more he seemed fine with it. Even after that though he’s still not ever leaving me alone. I love him and I understand what it’s like to be new to all of this and excited about everything there is to absorb and experience, but I need to have my own things.

How can I get him to take this seriously? How can I get my me time back? I feel like even though I’ve told him he still isn’t taking the fact that I’m upset very seriously.

Tl;dr: my boyfriend of 5 years is just now getting into all my hobbies and I no longer have anything for myself. He doesn’t seem to understand that I enjoy having my own hobbies outside of what I share with him.

Edit for clarification: the problem isn’t that we share a hobby. I was excited when he started getting into it and I’m still happy to teach him and help him get into it and share it with him and all that. The problem is that he’s now tagging along with me at everything even though I’ve already told him I need alone time. Every time I go to the store he’s coming with. He’s joining my d&d group. He’s trying to do couples cosplay with me when he doesn’t know how to sew. He has his hobbies but they’re all in house things. He likes to garden on the balcony and keep the sliding door open and chat with me. Stuff like that. Him tagging along for all of this means I no longer have any time to myself, and he doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem or take it seriously even though I told him it was.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (22F) boyfriend (23M) is getting into all my hobbies and now I have no alone time.

My boyfriend and I have been dating since high school, for about five years now. He graduated from college last May and I’m about to graduate myself. We moved in together after he graduated and got a full time job.

We’ve always had different hobbies with a small amount of overlap. He’s into woodworking and gardening—and I love appreciating the fruits of his labor with him (sometimes literally, because of the gardening). I’m into nerdy things and working out, and he thinks it’s cute when our dog thinks I’m playing while I’m doing push-ups and likes to ask me for random facts when we’re watching something that’s mainstream nerdy like LotR or Star Wars or a Superhero movie.

Living together has been fantastic. I get me time when I go to the comic store on Wednesdays, when I go to comic cons, when I meet weekly with my d&d group, etc

A couple months ago though, my boyfriend got sick and had to stay home from work. I had work and class and couldn’t stay home to dote on him all day, but he asked if he could borrow one of my nerdy books and I had him text me a list of stuff he wanted me to pick up for him and what kind of soup he wanted me to make him for dinner so I could get the ingredients. I grabbed the Thrawn trilogy for him, and by the end of the week he’d finished it and was hooked. Suddenly he’s engrossing himself in the Star Wars universe, and at first I was really excited. I leant him my books, answered his questions, helped him locate planets in the Atlas. He even started reading the Star Wars comics I have laying around.

The excitement I initially had at introducing him to all this is quickly waning away. Suddenly he’s going with me to the comic store. He’s asking when the next con I’m going to is and saying we should cosplay as Siri Tachi and Obi-Wan since we kind of look like them. He offered to fill the empty slot in our d&d group when he met our dm at my favorite game store, and of course he said yes because we need another player and he assumed I’d be excited about it.

I tried telling my boyfriend I need more time to myself, and at first he said that it was upsetting that I don’t want to spend more time with him, but when I explained more he seemed fine with it. Even after that though he’s still not ever leaving me alone. I love him and I understand what it’s like to be new to all of this and excited about everything there is to absorb and experience, but I need to have my own things.

How can I get him to take this seriously? How can I get my me time back? I feel like even though I’ve told him he still isn’t taking the fact that I’m upset very seriously.

Tl;dr: my boyfriend of 5 years is just now getting into all my hobbies and I no longer have anything for myself. He doesn’t seem to understand that I enjoy having my own hobbies outside of what I share with him.

Edit for clarification: the problem isn’t that we share a hobby. I was excited when he started getting into it and I’m still happy to teach him and help him get into it and share it with him and all that. The problem is that he’s now tagging along with me at everything even though I’ve already told him I need alone time. Every time I go to the store he’s coming with. He’s joining my d&d group. He’s trying to do couples cosplay with me when he doesn’t know how to sew. He has his hobbies but they’re all in house things. He likes to garden on the balcony and keep the sliding door open and chat with me. Stuff like that. Him tagging along for all of this means I no longer have any time to myself, and he doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem or take it seriously even though I told him it was.

You know what’s weird about this? If you flip the genders it makes a lot of sense.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

big dyke energy posted:

Hey, it works loving great for insomnia and anxiety!! (I am now properly medicated and doing much better than when I was just coping by eating massive amounts of edibles/oil).

Weed makes my anxiety go through the roof. It sucks because I'd love to smoke with my fiance once in a while but I can do like one joint every six months. The mindfulness thing seems to do good for me so far, and I'm super impressed with it (and I was hella skeptical.) Weed works loving wonders for his nerve pain though! Brain and body chemicals are super strange.

One more person tells me to "just try smoking more" and I might lose it though.

Testing a partner is immediate grounds for termination. I don't understand these people. These aren't middle school relationships.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

MarcusSA posted:

You know what’s weird about this? If you flip the genders it makes a lot of sense.

Nothing about is weird or gender specific about it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Grape posted:

Nothing about is weird or gender specific about it.

You're wrong in that it's very loving weird not to want to include your partner in your hobbies

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Scathach posted:

They aren't wrong, smoke more and you'll get used to it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

chitoryu12 posted:

God are all of these written one-handed?

TIFU by 'sending' my girlfriend a dick pic

An acquaintances friends mom put a topless selfie where she’s wearing like, a chain as a necklace on her snap story. I don’t really know the lady but I had like 5 people send it to me immediately lol. It’s a very unflattering nude

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

bell jar posted:

You're wrong in that it's very loving weird not to want to include your partner in your hobbies

Some hobbies yeah, but having them involved in everything sounds super tedious. You have to let them have at least some opportunities to go have some new poo poo happen to them without you there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tetramin posted:

An acquaintances friends mom put a topless selfie where she’s wearing like, a chain as a necklace on her snap story. I don’t really know the lady but I had like 5 people send it to me immediately lol. It’s a very unflattering nude

I was at Disneyland last year and a mom with 3 kids was in directly in front of me going through her photos and send several titty shots to someone.

That someone was definitely not the dude she was there with I know that much.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Sharing hobbies with your SO is cool and fun but also nothing wrong with wanting to have alone time to enjoy things without them. Otherwise everyone except the most tediously ~full-on~ extroverts would opt to stay single.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I was at Disneyland last year and a mom with 3 kids was in directly in front of me going through her photos and send several titty shots to someone.

Hey the father of her children needs some sugar

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bell jar posted:

No it isnt.

MarcusSA posted:

A few pregnant women have posted already and said yeah it makes you crazy but not that drat crazy.

Joking aside, I honestly think most goons are more rational than your average Joe or Jane Doe. But that may be because I don't understand normal people at all. I'm constantly saying things like "Who are these people who *watch this, read that, other activity*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

I got accidentally shown a friend's nudes with her and her boyfriend at the time when she was flipping through phone pics over sandwiches.

They ended up beating the poo poo out of each other, she got pregnant, and then they broke up. She's now got two kids from two different dads and is marrying a third guy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for lying to my pregnant wife about my work times so I can get my daily hour of exercise, even at times when she feels overwhelmed with the kids?

My wife and I have two young daughters, and we are expecting our third child in a few months. At times my wife gets a bit overwhelmed, and a little grumpy towards me and the kids. I try to keep my cool and so far I always manage to do so. She is a stay-at-home mom and studies in the evenings but does not actually work.

I do respect my wife. And I help her out in the household even though I have a career, and also do a studies on the side. I change diapers, take care of the kids, even take them out of the house sometimes for hours on end in my free time to give my wife her 'alone time'. The ONE THING I demand in return is that she will allow me to exercise... I cycle daily to work, and always take a big detour so I can add an additional hour of cycling. This keeps me fit and keeps me energized enough to handle the rest of the day.

Anyway long story short, my wife knows I cycle. I usually do it in the evenings, or early mornings. Sometimes, often in fact, I can't so I have to do it during the day (I have night shifts).

Lately I have started a habit of going to work about an hour and half early. Told my wife my schedule just changed a bit, so she would not bug me about it. I lie to my pregnant wife about my whereabouts so I can have my exercise.

She found out today. She thinks it's unreasonable that I let her be with the kids on times when she "feels overwhelmed and she needs me". Well, I am overwhelmed too! And I am stressed too. And I work and I study and I need my exercise to keep myself sane, and I told her this is non-negotiable and now she's mad at me. WIBTA?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

bell jar posted:

I used to smoke a lot like thirteen years ago, stopped, and now any amount makes my anxiety flip out. I've heard the same from a lot of women my age. Weird and lovely.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

bell jar posted:

If someone doesn't enjoy something, there's no reason they should have to do it MORE so maybe they'll like it.

And I say this as someone who looooves weed.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for walking out on a last-day party I specifically asked people not to throw?

My mom has been in the basically same position at a school district for 25 years, but in 3 different buildings (all the schools are on the same massive campus). Friday the 26th was her last day. She has been telling everyone since February (when she found out she has been hired for a new position where she won't be working with any of the teachers anymore) that she doesn't want any kind of party, no big send off, etc, and that if they did it, she would walk out. She hates being the center of attention like that, and is only friends with a few people in the building out of like 100 faculty members anyway.

On Friday, when she arrived, her immediate supervisor gave her a goodbye card, which she accepted gracefully. A bunch of other teachers started following her down the hall while she was on her way to morning bus duty, cheering and filming. My mom tried to ignore them, hoping they'd give up and leave her alone. Soon they brought out a boombox, started playing loud 80s dance music and yelling at her to dance (all while still filming on their phones) . She handed her clipboard to another teacher, walked inside, told the assistant principal she was leaving and why, he said fine, and she left.

Now a bunch of them are mad at her, of course. She says if they wanted to say goodbye to her, they could have done so quietly like her immediate supervisor did.

I feel like they didn't do it for her, they did it for themselves (especially since they were recording it). She told them her wishes clearly and repeatedly, and even said she'd leave if they did anything. The people she was/is actually friends with all took her out for drinks and only one participated in the dance party ambush.

So what's the verdict?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

big dyke energy posted:

If someone doesn't enjoy something, there's no reason they should have to do it MORE so maybe they'll like it.

Yeah that’s true, but it is weird how weed becomes way better when you have a bit of a tolerance. I didn’t get the fuss when I first smoked, then suddenly I was a daily smoker for like 7 years. I took about a year off and now I smoke like two small bowls over the weekends and really enjoy it. I know tons of people who get anxious after taking a long time off, I guess I got lucky because I like weed and I’m not motivated to smoke it every day now that I’m older and had some time away.

It’s probably dumb to compare it to coffee or some other acquired taste. If you don’t like it, you don’t like it. But it does get a little bit more enjoyable

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

chitoryu12 posted:

I got accidentally shown a friend's nudes with her and her boyfriend at the time when she was flipping through phone pics over sandwiches.

They ended up beating the poo poo out of each other, she got pregnant, and then they broke up. She's now got two kids from two different dads and is marrying a third guy.

Just goes to show what happens to a person who engages in the demonic act of sexting

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for walking out on a last-day party I specifically asked people not to throw?

My mom has been in the basically same position at a school district for 25 years, but in 3 different buildings (all the schools are on the same massive campus). Friday the 26th was her last day. She has been telling everyone since February (when she found out she has been hired for a new position where she won't be working with any of the teachers anymore) that she doesn't want any kind of party, no big send off, etc, and that if they did it, she would walk out. She hates being the center of attention like that, and is only friends with a few people in the building out of like 100 faculty members anyway.

On Friday, when she arrived, her immediate supervisor gave her a goodbye card, which she accepted gracefully. A bunch of other teachers started following her down the hall while she was on her way to morning bus duty, cheering and filming. My mom tried to ignore them, hoping they'd give up and leave her alone. Soon they brought out a boombox, started playing loud 80s dance music and yelling at her to dance (all while still filming on their phones) . She handed her clipboard to another teacher, walked inside, told the assistant principal she was leaving and why, he said fine, and she left.

Now a bunch of them are mad at her, of course. She says if they wanted to say goodbye to her, they could have done so quietly like her immediate supervisor did.

I feel like they didn't do it for her, they did it for themselves (especially since they were recording it). She told them her wishes clearly and repeatedly, and even said she'd leave if they did anything. The people she was/is actually friends with all took her out for drinks and only one participated in the dance party ambush.

So what's the verdict?

They did do it for themselves. Part of being a human is that sometimes you'll be the excuse for a party. It would have been less of an rear end in a top hat move to walk in, say thanks, then either leave without drama after 15 mins or pretend you got some sort of emergency call & just bail. Yes, it's not what you wanted, but boohoo. seriously

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

It's like alcohol or tobacco or very spicy curries, there's initial side effects when you pick up the habit and sometimes you need to just power through the initial bad times to enjoy what is eventually a very relaxing and enjoyable pastime. It's not so much going "hey you don't like weed keep trying til you do", moreso "hey you get these lovely side effects from weed keep trying til you don't"

Scathach posted:

I used to smoke a lot like thirteen years ago, stopped, and now any amount makes my anxiety flip out. I've heard the same from a lot of women my age. Weird and lovely.

That absolutely sucks and I hope this doesn't happen to me :(

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I really appreciate how Scathach straight up said

quote:

and then everyone piles in to immediately tell them exactly that, even going so far as "okay but actually" when they're rebuked.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You know it really is ok if someone doesn’t like weed / it doesn’t work for them.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

I really appreciate how Scathach straight up said

and then everyone piles in to immediately tell them exactly that, even going so far as "okay but actually" when they're rebuked.

oh no one post what will we do, it's a pile on, everyone's in on it

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Clawtopsy posted:

testing your partner is some loving stupid poo poo

Not even the non interesting non committal heterosexual ones like all of them

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

(CA) Neighbor keeps taking our black trash bin on trash day and take out our trash to fill it with cement

Sorry to ruin the illusion, but OP clarifies that it's chunks of cement, and not wet cement that dries in the trash can. Which makes this story a lot less interesting

Slowly filling someone's trash can with wet cement would be a solid prank

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I'm worried for my girlfriend's (25 f) safety; it's the second time this year she pulled a knife on someone

quote:

She carries a knife because it's useful for her work, she's in a trade and she does actually use it often. It's the sort that flips open with one hand, it's spring loaded, I'm not sure if it's legal even though she says it is

The first time, she told me, was when she was walking home from the bar with one of her girl friends and a guy was following them and harassing them and kept walking faster the faster they walked away. She had her knife open in her hoodie, concealed from the guy and she never used it. I didn't hear this from her, I actually found out from her friend who was making a joke about it months later.

The second time, she told me about. She came home shaken up from work and she said one of the contractors onsite cornered her in an empty office and tried to make her kiss him and she stuck her knife to his stomach and said she'd stab him unless he got away from her. She came home and didn't want to call the police. She also wasn't about to tell her boss, because the man is his cousin

Once I noticed this, I started to get shaken up by how often she'll be spooked by something and her hand will go straight for her pocket where she keeps it. Like if she hears someone yell even though it's not related to her, she'll put her hand there like she's getting ready

I asked her about it and she said it was more like a comfort thing she's spooked by men yelling since her dad had a massive temper and it's calming to know she has a way to fight back if she needs to, unlike how she felt weak and powerless as a kid. She said her martial arts classes helped with that a lot too, though they also taught her that she's almost always at a disadvantage because of her size, so she doesn't have the luxury of fighting fair

All that she said was making me more stressed that she was like looking for a fight to somehow make it right that she didn't fight her dad as a kid.. and honestly it worries me a lot. But she gets extremely defensive and annoyed if I want to talk to her about it.

Can I have some input on how to tell her I'm worried without making it a big argument?

tldr - I'm worried my gf is going to get herself in trouble or hurt

Your gf is amazing and you do not deserve her.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
On the one hand yes threatening to cut that guy who cornered her owns, on the other there is a large percentage of the American public that are constantly looking for an excuse to gun down a stranger, so be careful where and when you whip that thing out

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Xenocides posted:

I'm worried for my girlfriend's (25 f) safety; it's the second time this year she pulled a knife on someone

Your gf is amazing and you do not deserve her.

She might get in trouble, but I don't think she's the one getting hurt.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Fighting is..... good??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Danaru posted:

On the one hand yes threatening to cut that guy who cornered her owns, on the other there is a large percentage of the American public that are constantly looking for an excuse to gun down a stranger, so be careful where and when you whip that thing out

So she should carry a gun instead