Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vernacular posted:

I guess I'll suss things out when I'm actually settled in and go from there

Thx for the replies simplefish and other folk

Yeah. Basically I think it's not allowed except on campus for 20h/week at a business that rents from the university like starbucks or the bookshop or subway or whatever. And then in summer you can work wherever for however long (the definition of "summer" is on the site you linked to).

But - and I'm not recommending this - I have never heard of anyone getting caught if you did decide to work outside your visa conditions. Just avoid places that already are attracting police attention.

You get your studentship anyway so you shouldn't starve while you figure it out and email the relevant university admin people about it (paging A Angel Opportunity)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
AO has completely transformed into that racist caricature so he can no longer help with uni things

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna advise you to commit some crimes. Simplefish is a narc who's jealous of your soundspinning skills. In fact if you advertise yourself as the illegal DJ it'll probably get you a sick as hell rep.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m the real narc.

When are you in town?

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui
I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience or can help with some doubts. I'm going to Cambodia in June and the cheap flight I found has a layover in Beijing and Baiyun. The latter stop is for refueling/aircraft change and the entire trip is listed as 2 flights: AMS to PEK and PEK to PNH. I assumed this wouldn't be a problem since the layovers are less than 10 hours and I was under the impression that I would be eligible for visa-free transit. However, I've done some research and some places have said that this only applies if you're leaving from the same airport as you entered. Unfortunately, the airline said they can't give me any information and the Chinese consulate where I'm living hasn't been very helpful, either. Does anyone know whether my flight would qualify for visa-free transit (I mean, I am leaving from Beijing, the same airport I'm arriving in, with a ticket to a 3rd country)? Also, does it matter if I don't leave the airport? Thanks for any help; it would be great to not have to spend $140 + processing fees just for a layover.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You don't need to worry about it. Visa free is only if you leave the airport, you can have a layover and stay in the airport no matter what.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

caberham posted:

I’m the real narc.

When are you in town?

August!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Well I will be around to throw a bbq or something. Hope you have a fun trip

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
That'd be cool. Definitely down to meet up with some goons when I'm there.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I'm going to be in HK for a week, how worth it is it to take a day trip into Shenzhen? I'm a Canadian, so I think I'm eligible for the visa-on-arrival Shenzhen special visa, though that may have changed given Canada and the PRC aren't on great terms ATM.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

mmm11105 posted:

I'm going to be in HK for a week, how worth it is it to take a day trip into Shenzhen? I'm a Canadian, so I think I'm eligible for the visa-on-arrival Shenzhen special visa, though that may have changed given Canada and the PRC aren't on great terms ATM.

avoid shenny z, fart simpson is there and you might bump into him

Really though, it's an expensive visa just for a day
I probably wouldn't have bothered going back to SZ if it hadn't been about hanging out with friends

Also enjoy your death sentence

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shenzhen has better food than Hong Kong.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Shenzhen doesn't have anything worth seeing since they closed Minsk World.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
SZ is meh, if you have a week you can go to Guilin or lijiang.

Or you can spend that one day and go to the Deng statue and pay homage.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How is Air China as an airline generally? A friend is getting married in India later this year and right now by far the cheapest flights available are on Air China (~$700 round trip from LAX instead of $1000+ on other airlines).

My SO says she’s heard Air China sucks though (a coworker told her to avoid at all costs), and since we are talking about 15 hour flights here it kinda matters.

(Maybe this goes in the cheap flights thread, idk)

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
If it doesn't make connection in Beijing you should be fine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It not only connects in Beijing both ways, but they are long layovers. (9 hours in one case). I figured hey, land in Beijing at 11am for a 9 hour layover, might as well pop out of the airport and do some light sightseeing too. Neither of us have been to China.

Is this not that simple? Is PEK to be avoided?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
That’s 300 bucks for 18 hours.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There are two of us so it’s $600 that could go a long ways in India (we’re probably there ~2 weeks)

The layover doesn’t bother me. But if the airline is poo poo for super long flights or PEK is some kind of nightmare then I’d like to know.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

bawfuls posted:

It not only connects in Beijing both ways, but they are long layovers. (9 hours in one case). I figured hey, land in Beijing at 11am for a 9 hour layover, might as well pop out of the airport and do some light sightseeing too. Neither of us have been to China.

Is this not that simple? Is PEK to be avoided?

Flights landing in BJ always get delayed. You get com hotel room and free terrible northern breakfast though, heh.

Since you are going away for 2 weeks, it's probably worth the gamble depends on how young you are.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Beijing is one of the most delayed airports in the world, but since you have a 9 hour layover, you should be fine. It will take a good hour just to get from the airport anywhere nearby, however, and that's after going through customs and immigration. So you're down to 7 hours of sightseeing. You're now downtown with 7 hours to see stuff, but you have to be at the airport 2/3 hours early for your next international flight, and it is an hour away. You're now down to 3/4 hours of sightseeing. There will be long lines, traffic and an annoyance to get around in a city that you've never been to in a country where you don't speak the language.

I mean you could definitely go from Beijing Airport to Tiananmen Square and back in less than 8 hours from touching down to taking off, but it won't be as relaxing as you imagine it will be.

Beijing Airport is huge and if you fly into T-3 it's not terrible, there's a few restaurants you could hang at. Air China as an international carrier isn't great, it's not Korean Airlines or JAL, but it also isn't terrible. If you had a shorter connection, or if you were looking into China Eastern, I'd tell you to stay away, but for 600 bucks savings, taking Air China with a long layover in Beijing isn't the worst choice. Land in Beijing, get a Starbucks, walk around, look at stuff in the airport, find a restaurant, read a book, drink some coffee or beer, and then be on your merry way, IMO. I had a 10 hour layover in Beijing last time I went to HK and I stayed up all night reading and switching between beer and coffee. (I wouldn't recommend that, I was absolutely exhausted when I finally landed in one of the coolest cities in the world as I only slept for like 2 hours on the plane.)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

That’s 300 bucks for 18 hours.

Not everyone is Mr. Moneybags

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chinese airlines are terrible but Air China is one of the marginally less terrible ones.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My SO may veto it anyway. Layover tourism in Beijing sounds like a bigger hassle than it has been for me elsewhere. Appreciate the input!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China Eastern is the only Chinese airline I'd tell you 100% to not take if you have any other options. I would avoid Chinese airlines in general but if it's a huge savings Air China isn't that bad.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I love China Eastern

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
China Southern > Eastern > Air China > Hainan

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What's up with Hainan now? They were my go-to for travel to the mainland as recently as last February.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sure but what does that mean for me, the passenger? Are they massively cutting costs to service the debt?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Bloodnose posted:

Sure but what does that mean for me, the passenger? Are they massively cutting costs to service the debt?

They still had the cheapest round trip ticket last fall. I could have saved 150 compare to the 2nd cheapest option (Eastern?) if I didn't need not-stop flight.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Northern breakfast is good, scrub

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

sincx posted:

Risk of sudden insolvency.

There was a scare right before Chinese New Year that Hong Kong Airlines (a Hainan/HNA Group subsidiary) might suddenly cease operations. It didn't happen, but things looked dicey for a few weeks.

I mean the second-majority shareholder literally had to walk into the head office with his own security team to finally get to see the accounts he was demanding to

This is after the previous honcho left and shredded as much paper as possible on his way out

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Take the flight, as long as the plane doesn't fall out of the sky or arrive like 24 hrs behind where you expected then roll with the punches and have a soft landing on the fat stacks you saved in your back pocket.

If the food or choice of films is poo poo it's a few loving hours, just suck it up and spend the money you saved making whole days or at leat more than just a few hours special.

gently caress man just pay into a lounge on your layover and monster as much free beer and buffet as you can in those 9 hrs, it'll still be cheaper. Just download poo poo on your phone to read or watch or yknow actually talk to your SO

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

simplefish posted:

Just download poo poo on your phone to read or watch or yknow actually talk to your SO
Thanks for these innovative travel tips that never would have occurred to me other wise

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lol i bought hainan tickets like 12 hours ago.

I asked a friend who flew their sea->shanghai route last week and she said it was the same as ever (on the plane) which is generally better than any other Chinese airline I've flown internationally. we'll see how it goes!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Thanks for these innovative travel tips that never would have occurred to me other wise

idk man you asked and said you thought a layover was a hassle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

idk man you asked and said you thought a layover was a hassle

Pretty much

Re: layover tourism, I do it all the time honestly, I prefer 20 hour layovers where it feels more like a day trip. but you really have to plan out the trip and food places to make it worthwhile when it’s under 14 hours