Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_KWWDxOS4

"Are you ready? Say, 'It's Morphin' Time!'"
"When the lights turn on, say 'It's Morphin' Time!'"

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Caphi posted:

You mean this doesn't say "mantis" to you?

That's a butterfly.

Slowly going through RPM for the first time, I have to say one thing...that Mach Megazord is one hideous thing. It's literally every zord bolted haphazardly around the others. It's a mess.

Also, I can't be the only one that dislikes zords without hands and where they use the armzords mouth as a makeshift hand. It always looks bad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Darth TNT posted:

Slowly going through RPM for the first time, I have to say one thing...that Mach Megazord is one hideous thing. It's literally every zord bolted haphazardly around the others. It's a mess.
Hahahahaha, just wait. :getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like zords with giant blocky hands that become normal human hands in close up shots

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Caphi posted:

You mean this doesn't say "mantis" to you?

That's Silver's zord, The scarab beatle

the "mantis" is this one:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

mateo360 posted:

See I just heard "Mantis" and assumed it was that one because I absolutely could not imagine anyone referring to BC-04 as a mantis.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So will the corrupted Mantis DNA make the gold ranger really religious?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

mateo360 posted:

I spent a while staring at this
And then I went off to google it and stared at those photos

And eventually I found someone’s toy photos where it sorta made sense

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Zedd posted:

Hahahahaha, just wait. :getin:

G12 Formation is the best combination of all time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

G12 Formation is the best combination of all time.

I'd have to give that to Ultimate DaiBouken, but G12 is definitely near the top

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

G12 formation looks way better than just slapping everything together should look like.
Samurai HaOh is a really cool idea that barely works in toy form, looks OK as the show suit tho imo.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I enjoy G12's willingness to simply rip mecha apart into parts, like how Kishamoth becomes pieces scattered all over the place. Way better than, ugh, WildTousaiDodekaKingu~~~

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I enjoy G12's willingness to simply rip mecha apart into parts, like how Kishamoth becomes pieces scattered all over the place. Way better than, ugh, WildTousaiDodekaKingu~~~

That one's just as bad as the rest of the robots in its show, so the problem there isn't really the piling up thing.

Zyuohger was a great series but it had horrible suits and toys.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
For me, a good final mech is measured by whether it includes every other machine on the show.

Good examples:

Ultimate DaiBouken - everything included, looks good
G12 - everything included, probably can’t actually move but who cares when it’s built like a brick shithouse
Go-Buster King - Includes everything but Ace, which is actually a positive because Ace works better as an individual robot. Has a lion on its chest, which is Optimal Lion Positioning.
Samurai Ha-Oh - loses points for using half the mecha as a display stand. Gains all of them back for looking like an absolute unit.

Special mention to the early Ultrazords from the MMPR era, which got around adding an additional mech by having the existing robot stand inside it - an aesthetic that Ninninger would later demonstrate can absolutely be ruined.

Bad examples:

Kanzen GokaiOh - loving bullshit mech, leaves GokaiOh’s limbs and GoXyuJin’s entire body behind as spare parts.
Gigant Kyoryuzin - Pathetic excuse for a final mech. You’re just sticking poo poo onto the original robot, which could only use three mechs from a starting lineup of five anyway. Omits fully four mechs from a lineup of ten, including the 6th ranger’s ride. Just a loving waste of space.
Kyutamajin - hey lets give each ranger their own cool space vehicle then use most of the design budget on these dumb loving balls that make literally all of them look ridiculous. And then we can have them all combine by getting rid of the cool vehicles and just stacking balls on top of one another. Oh wait that’s not actually the final combination - we’re doing a dumb brick that barely even works around the stupid ball gimmick, and won’t combine with poo poo - in the final combination, other robots stand near it and pretend its a gun.
Good Cool Kaiser VSX - couldn’t possibly use every trigger machine on the show because they produced so many of the pointless loving things it clearly started draining the budget for scripting and acting. So loving ridiculous that it could only be used in CGI shots, presumably because the weight of the suit would have crushed the spine of the poor bastard they stuck inside it. Manages to make a six limbed robot made of cars, trains and planes look boring, which is quite the achievement.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
G12 is far and away the best toy out of all of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

G12 is far and away the best toy out of all of them.

I dunno, the black version of Ultimate Dai-Bouken would top that list in my opinion, at least on an aesthetics level

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Coq au Nandos posted:

For me, a good final mech is measured by whether it includes every other machine on the show.

I can't agree with this metric since Gaoranger started this thing of Pokemon-style collect em all robots that are just accessories to the main robot. Hurricanger goes as far as randomly slapping every handheld weapon used by the mechs on Revolver Mammoth, which takes it to an extreme level since those weren't even defined as standalone robots but simply as weapons the mechs spit out of their chests like a gumball machine.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Revolver Mammoth looks no lamer than any Megazord's combination with Titanus. Which is incredibly lame.

But I'm pretty sure they attached all the karakuri balls to revolver Mammoth to reward all the kids who'd collected each one somehow and wanted to see them all used at once in the show somehow.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Craptacular! posted:

I can't agree with this metric since Gaoranger started this thing of Pokemon-style collect em all robots that are just accessories to the main robot. Hurricanger goes as far as randomly slapping every handheld weapon used by the mechs on Revolver Mammoth, which takes it to an extreme level since those weren't even defined as standalone robots but simply as weapons the mechs spit out of their chests like a gumball machine.

Counterpoint: every robot and accessory in both of these shows looks like a piece of poo poo. I’d say it’s the worst design slump in Sentai history but the current slump puts it to shame.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I haven't been paying a lot of attention, have we turned on Kishiryuoh already?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You mean the Accessory Megazord?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Update for Battle For the Grid. Supposedly live

patch notes posted:

POWER RANGERS: BATTLE FOR THE GRID
RELEASES NEW FREE UPDATE WITH STORY MODE

Free DLC available for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One with new Story Mode, characters, arenas and voiceovers from original cast members.

STORY MODE
Play through an epic storyline written and voice directed by writer/director Kyle Higgins (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Shattered Grid, Nightwing, Batman: Gates of Gotham). The mode also features original artwork by Eisner Award-winning illustrator Dan Mora (Go Go Power Rangers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Klaus).
In this new mode, players experience a re-imagining of the critically acclaimed Shattered Grid event from Boom! Studios’ Power Rangers comic book series. When Lord Drakkon, an evil alternate version of Tommy Oliver, sets off a massive campaign across time and space to destroy all Power Rangers, they must band together and fight back, before all of existence falls to his armies.

NEW VOICEOVERS BY ORIGINAL CAST
The new content includes story and combat voiceovers performed by original Power Rangers cast members, including Jason David Frank (Tommy Oliver), Austin St. John (Jason Lee Scott), David J. Fielding (Zordon), Kerrigan Mahan (Goldar) and Meghan “Strawburry17” Camarena (Kimberly).

NEW CHARACTERS
Three new characters enter the world of Battle for the Grid: Dragon Armor Trini, Udonna, and Cenozoic Blue Ranger

NEW BATTLE ARENAS
Selectable Arenas: Corinth and Planet Earth: Cenozoic Era
Non-Selectable Arenas (Story Mode only): Command Center (Malfunctioning) and Lord Drakkon’s Throne Room (Flashback)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJMvQbcmLg

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Craptacular! posted:

I have to disagree with that. Basically every ancillary zord in Gaoranger had a mecha it belonged to. You basically just needed an extra Bison to make it work.

The real travesty in Hurricanger is that the dolphin just doesn't actually exist in their ultimate combination.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

That story mode sure shows a lot of characters that aren't in the game at all. At least it finally makes sense why it has so much Shattered Grid content.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SpazmasterX posted:

I have to disagree with that. Basically every ancillary zord in Gaoranger had a mecha it belonged to. You basically just needed an extra Bison to make it work.

The real travesty in Hurricanger is that the dolphin just doesn't actually exist in their ultimate combination.

To me, it's one thing to say "Ohranger mech doesn't use the tire thing" but to say "WHERE ARE THE FIVE MEGAZORD HELMETS GONNA GO" is invalid. Like there are pieces of the robot that are accessories that only can equip a limited number of them at a time, since it doesn't have five heads.

To me, around 2000 they began taking what used to be helmets and upgrading them to the level of the football/tire guy, and I'm just gonna make a guess that Pokemon was the influence in that decision. When robots just exist to be arms for a robot constructicons-style, your option is that only two get used at any particular time or you go Goro From Mortal Kombat with them, and I'm better with the former.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Craptacular! posted:

"WHERE ARE THE FIVE MEGAZORD HELMETS GONNA GO"

The back and the waist. There's ports on the legs and the Phoenix. :v:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Haven't gotten a LizWiz video in a month :smith:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mateo360 posted:

Update went live for PS4 and xbone. Won’t go live for Switch till after golden week in japan. Which makes perfect sense for an American game [/sarcasm]

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Caphi posted:

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, have we turned on Kishiryuoh already?

The core Mech design I still like, but the accessories are pretty charmless piles.

Still, not as bad as Lupat.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I’m glad to see that Battle for the Grid is getting more support. I’m still gonna wait to pick it up. I was really disappointed by Power Rangers MegaBattle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

To me, it's one thing to say "Ohranger mech doesn't use the tire thing" but to say "WHERE ARE THE FIVE MEGAZORD HELMETS GONNA GO" is invalid. Like there are pieces of the robot that are accessories that only can equip a limited number of them at a time, since it doesn't have five heads.

To me, around 2000 they began taking what used to be helmets and upgrading them to the level of the football/tire guy, and I'm just gonna make a guess that Pokemon was the influence in that decision. When robots just exist to be arms for a robot constructicons-style, your option is that only two get used at any particular time or you go Goro From Mortal Kombat with them, and I'm better with the former.

That's why I like Boukenger's mecha so much

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Battle for the Grid update is live on Switch now too, rather than next week. The game is still rough around the edges, and as nice as the three new characters are the roster still feels small for a tag fighter, but touches like actually having combat voices now add a nice bit of life that was missing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Hasbro comes out swinging, apparently.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019...gF9AISIePYZBUrU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah

Really I’m thankful for any cameo that isn’t JDF at this point

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's unsurprising considering how red heavy that movie is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

it's unsurprising considering how red heavy that movie is.

I mean it's pretty surprising given that he hasn't been back since Zeo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah but who else are they gonna get? Dragon Ranger's not even in the source material.

The real question is if they're gonna get James Napier back.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Burkion posted:

I mean it's pretty surprising given that he hasn't been back since Zeo Wild Force

FTFY

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Can't wait for Austin to openly call the other Reds out and try to beat them all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So I guess this pretty much confirms that Hasbro is willing to pay them decently at least? Do we know if the show is union now? I know that has prevented Yost and AJJ and several others from coming back.