Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

give me mad queen danaerys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So Arya's story is like over now right? It's not like she was prophesied to kill people with green eyes too, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

So Arya's story is like over now right? It's not like she was prophesied to kill people with green eyes too, right?

It was over when she killed the Freys and came home as Arya Stark.

It's why she was aggressively stupid last season.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Jon will take the black because he thinks its honorable etc etc.

loving dumb poo poo dude

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tenzarin posted:

She was in fact. Or was that :thejoke: ?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efkUk1VjZ0Q

:lol: Yeah I am definitely not this show's target audience any longer

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Mendrian posted:

Did you guys watch a different episode from the cynic dimension or something?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Every fake spoiler was better than the real plot so far

This is honestly the main reason why I follow this thread.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

lezard_valeth posted:

That's not fair, those are all professional reactors.

Even then there is a couple of people in that video just laughing about how stupid it is.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 30, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I really hope those spoilers are true because I can't even imagine what a worse series finale would look like

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

CODChimera posted:

I really hope those spoilers are true because I can't even imagine what a worse series finale would look like

I hope it's true because I really want to see how the spergy goons in the other thread eat that poo poo up and talk about how it's ~literally perfect~

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

lezard_valeth posted:

I am genuinely unable to grasp what compels a person to film themselves watching a TV show and yelling 'OOOOOOOOOH', much less actually go online and look up other idiots doing it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

jackhunter64 posted:

I am genuinely unable to grasp what compels a person to film themselves watching a TV show and yelling 'OOOOOOOOOH', much less actually go online and look up other idiots doing it.

The second one I don't know, but for the first one the answer is money.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

jackhunter64 posted:

The people filming themselves are compelled by the (money they get from the) people who'll go look it up.

The people looking it up are compelled by the crushing emptiness of our disconnected hell society where watching people yell on youtube is the closest you get to a sense of community.

hth

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jackhunter64 posted:

Some people are so boring and broken that the only comforting thing in their lives is the fact that other people enjoy the same media that they do. Watching these videos validates their existence.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The last episodes will be tense peace negotiations before they sign the Treaty of Westeros (Westphalia), foreshadowing the next series: Game of Parliaments.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

At this point what actually happens in the finale is completely unimportant because the show already jettisoned the things that made it so engaging in the first four seasons. Its pure spectacle now. It'll be completely nonsense, the dialogue will be terrible and the big moments will probably land flat because the build up is so poor, but it'll also be very dramatic, it'll have something that makes you go "holy poo poo" (for good or bad) and you'll probably get a bunch of amazing shots in there too.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but literally every spoiler I read now I just think "yeah gently caress it, why not, what difference does it make to this big dumb show anymore".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gorn Myson posted:

At this point what actually happens in the finale is completely unimportant because the show already jettisoned the things that made it so engaging in the first four seasons. Its pure spectacle now. It'll be completely nonsense, the dialogue will be terrible and the big moments will probably land flat because the build up is so poor, but it'll also be very dramatic, it'll have something that makes you go "holy poo poo" (for good or bad) and you'll probably get a bunch of amazing shots in there too.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but literally every spoiler I read now I just think "yeah gently caress it, why not, what difference does it make to this big dumb show anymore".

:agreed:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gorn Myson posted:

:hmmyes:

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
It would really have been more Game of Thrones, to in that climatic pause moment, as the Night King and bran look at eachother, instead of drawing his sword, in a voice the sound of cracking ice he said something along the lines of:

'You have forgotten the pact we made with your namesake ancestor Brandon 'The Builder', you have allowed men beyond our wall. Worse, you brought dragon fire to our lands. We have now returned them all to you. Do not break our pact again. Ensure no men enter our lands.'

And with that twirled and left, as the wights collapse around them, left for the humans to bury. It turns out that the ice monsters are more trustworthy and easier to negotiate with than Cersi, and they were upholding ancient promises long forgotten. That the magical ice wall, belonged to the magical ice people the whole time. That the institution that was the Nights-Watch were meant to carry out half remembered duty to kill those men who wander beyond the wall was part of an ancient bargain, and that Nights Watch let things get out of hand and had unknowingly been facing the wrong way the whole series. That the wildlings, and the three eyed raven, and eventually the Nights Watch and Jon and his expedition were the transgressors here, and the Night King's actions punitive.

Then again: while thematically and historically appropriate, in the modern political climate: 'here is a wall, keep off our lands, you can't settle here', is probably not a healthy message to send out moral-wise.

Edit: having said that, the current - 'we let our border defences down and then an unstoppable horde of evil swept through' is not a good moral either. Maybe with some other choice of wording, better than mine above, this 2010 style ending could have made it clear that 'white' walkers performing ethinc cleansing and punitive strikes is horrible and costly versus, just talking to The Other(s) and sharing the land.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 30, 2019

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Its Coke posted:

Wait is that thing about the actors true

As much as I want to believe it, it seems a bit unrealistic. I mean, these are adults working on a blockbuster show - there's too much money on the line for either of them to act out. If nothing else they'd have to be in the same room for table reads and that sort of rehearsal/logistical stuff.

On the other hand, Bronn and Cersei have, iirc, two or three scenes where they're even in the same room:

- the pre-Blackwater conversations in the throne room
- she brusquely walks past him when he visits Tyrion after the Blackwater
- the convening at the dragon pit

And every time we hear about Bronn getting some reward that would involve the queen, it's second hand. So maybe it is legit. :iiam:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mat Cauthon posted:

As much as I want to believe it, it seems a bit unrealistic. I mean, these are adults working on a blockbuster show - there's too much money on the line for either of them to act out.

I mean… we live in an era where the adult president of the US, with more at stake than HBO show money, lashes out like a child on Twitter every single day so I can totally believe two actors being too immature to work together professionally.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

True.

On that note, where did this info about D&D wanting to quit the show come from? I've never heard anything to that effect anywhere, although given the disdain for the material on display over the past 3 seasons I absolutely don't doubt it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

"What do you do for a living?"

"Oh, I steal clips from people's dumbass reaction videos on YouTube and re-cut them into my own montage videos."

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mat Cauthon posted:

True.

On that note, where did this info about D&D wanting to quit the show come from? I've never heard anything to that effect anywhere, although given the disdain for the material on display over the past 3 seasons I absolutely don't doubt it.

They mentioned it jokingly in an interview.

WEISS: Like President Obama, we want to leave while all the people watching this show are really into it. Get out at a high point and not have it be, well thank god that’s over.

BENIOFF: It’s two more seasons we’re talking about. From pretty close to the beginning, we talked about doing this in 70-75 hours, and that’s what we’ll end up with. Call it 73 for now. What Dan says is really true, but it’s not just trying not to outstay your welcome.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

- Tyrion frees Jaime to try to get Cersei out of the city.

this doesn’t make any sense to me at all. doesn’t Tyrion hate Cersei? why would he care about getting her to safety?

the show has been loving stupid since season 3, so I wouldn’t be surprised however

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ulvir posted:

this doesn’t make any sense to me at all. doesn’t Tyrion hate Cersei? why would he care about getting her to safety?

My guess (if true) is they’re trying to mirror what Jaime did with Tyrion when he helped Tyrion escape after the trial? Maybe appealing to his unborn child as a reason to let her live?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They’ve had Tyrion be the most openly good person on the show along with Jon and removed a lot of his worse actions and motivations. I can see them making it so he saves Cersei somehow even though she wants him dead and he should probably not want to help her, even if he’s not openly murderous towards her.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only play left I see for Tyrion is something dumb like Dany (or Cersei) burning KL to the ground and Dany being blamed for it so Tyrion gets ahead of it and takes the blame and says it was his plan all along in order to make it look like he betrayed Dany in order to exact revenge against Cersei. Dany gets a pass, Tyrion is accused of treason (again) and sent to be executed (again) but this time he really does die. He spent most of his life wanting to live up to the Lannister name now and at the end he finally takes up the mantle by effectively ending the line. This of course is assuming Jaime dies elsewhere.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DrNutt posted:

I was just thinking today how Grey Worm and Missandei are like the only two people of color left on one of the whitest shows imaginable. If they both get killed just lmao, good job HBO :bravo:

I remember thinking for ages about how it'd be interesting to see some aftermath of tens of thousands of Dothraki living on Westeros.

Instead we got a 3 minute scene that guaranteed nobody'd ever have to deal with any non white people in Westeros. Whew!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was reading the dropped threads thing and got to ‘there must always be a stark in winterfell’ and was like ‘well Sansa’s been here a while’ and then remembered wtf they did to Jeyne Pool. And Theon loving got a reunion moment for it last episode even.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah having the big climactic moment in episode 3 feels pretty dumb. Like we still have the war with Cersei but who honestly gives a poo poo? She's been the same character since like season 3. Good actress, but the character is whatever. And Euron is the most milquetoast character.

There's no way any of it is going to feel all that satisfying.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the point now is we're in the GoT equivalent of the Scouring of the Shire, a part of LotR that GRRM has outright said he finds brilliant.

The Great Evil has been defeated and now the characters who sacrificed so much to save the world have to clean up the lesser, more petty evils.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Tenzarin posted:

Do you think the nightking closed his eyes before he exploded? I like to think he did or ayra failed.

Why does that matter

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

I hope it's true because I really want to see how the spergy goons in the other thread eat that poo poo up and talk about how it's ~literally perfect~

this is so weird lol, the most positive thing you hear in the other thread is "it's dumb but I liked it anyway" but it's still mostly people making GBS threads on the show

are you ok dude

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah having the big climactic moment in episode 3 feels pretty dumb. Like we still have the war with Cersei but who honestly gives a poo poo? She's been the same character since like season 3. Good actress, but the character is whatever. And Euron is the most milquetoast character.

There's no way any of it is going to feel all that satisfying.

Eh dumb as the rest might be, at least the show will end on some form of human conflict it started with. That is the least of my complaints.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The dumbest thing about those spoilers, if true, is they mean the entire Essos arc was an utter and total waste. All that “I need to learn to be a good Queen” stuff, the entire, what, 2 seasons in Mereen, everything learned and then she’s just the Mad Queen from day loving one?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The way to solve the Dothraki dumb charge would've been to have Sansa tell Dany, "We don't have the food to feed your army and Dragons, the Dothraki need to kill their horses so we can use them for food, they won't be any use in the battle anyway" and we could have conflict with Dany and Sansa that way and also with Dany's army who start to doubt her for bringing them up here. Then when Jon tells Dany about his parents she can have justifiable anger that his sister just made her cripple half her army which is now mostly useless without horses to ride and knowing the other half is going to be decimated by the battle. Also get rid of the siege weapons and then we've saved a bunch of budget for other stuff and don't have as much stupid battle tactics happening on screen. You can still have the lights getting snuffed out by saying they set up range-markers for the archers to fire at as the zombies got closer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Z. Autobahn posted:

The dumbest thing about those spoilers, if true, is they mean the entire Essos arc was an utter and total waste. All that “I need to learn to be a good Queen” stuff, the entire, what, 2 seasons in Mereen, everything learned and then she’s just the Mad Queen from day loving one?

It'll probably be both her Dragons dying that cause her to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jackhunter64 posted:

Money