Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grand Fromage posted:

It doesn't have quantities. "Chop the right amount of garlic" is what I'm talking about for the uselessness of mainland cooking sites. I've never made it, I don't know what the "right amount" is. If I knew that I wouldn't need to look up a recipe.

your bad snype.

That stuff are basically flavorings that you add to taste. It gives you a nice picture even:

http://i1.chuimg.com/3252a48cfa8a11e6bc9d0242ac110002_2160w_1620h.jpg@2o_50sh_1pr_1l_300w_90q_1wh

You know that they cute up 2-3 peppers so you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how much garlic this guy used, and if you really like garlic or w/e you might add more.

Like I don't think a lot of this stuff exists at all in the format you want, so you're gonna want to learn how to follow this type of recipe and they're not "useless" that's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Grand Fromage posted:

It doesn't have quantities. "Chop the right amount of garlic" is what I'm talking about for the uselessness of mainland cooking sites. I've never made it, I don't know what the "right amount" is. If I knew that I wouldn't need to look up a recipe.
FWIW you've complained that China Sichuan Food doesn't use the right amounts in its recipes, even though it gives you precise amounts, and then you get mad at the recipes which say "okay, forget about precise amounts, you just do you." If you don't know how much to put in, how do you know China Sichuan Food isn't giving you the right amount? Because it doesn't taste right. So just use the recipes without ingredients, and if it doesn't taste right, add more!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2z3-EnHKa8

This guy's channel seems pretty good tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

That stuff are basically flavorings that you add to taste. It gives you a nice picture even:

oh no im turning into caberham

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

FWIW you've complained that China Sichuan Food doesn't use the right amounts in its recipes, even though it gives you precise amounts, and then you get mad at the recipes which say "okay, forget about precise amounts, you just do you." If you don't know how much to put in, how do you know China Sichuan Food isn't giving you the right amount? Because it doesn't taste right. So just use the recipes without ingredients, and if it doesn't taste right, add more!

Right, but I lived in Sichuan so I know what dry pot cauliflower is supposed to taste like and when a recipe is off. If I'm making something completely new from a province I've never been to that sounds good, how am I supposed to adjust that to taste? I've never had it. I have no idea if the recipe is bad or if I just don't like the dish since I have zero context to judge.

As I've said, once I've had something or cooked a baseline version, I have no problem messing with it from there. When I'm starting completely from nothing is the problem.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Just make what tastes good to you mate, if you don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like then what’s the big deal as long as you like it? Are you planning to enter a guobao rou cookoff or something?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maybe just cook some food and stop being so autistic

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

oh no im turning into caberham

I have good taste so it’s a good thing

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm sympathetic with Grand Formage here, which is probably bad for him given I dared to bring up stainless steel woks. I do all the cooking in the house but not all the eating, and I don't get to be a nutter every day about it and try odd stuff. So when I do, I want to know if I'm at least approximating what I'm making--especially if it's something completely alien to my normal tastes. I can take it, leave it, or augment it, but I want that baseline. If I later am talking to somebody about such-and-such style of food or even that specific dish, I want to feel like I've actually had it.

Heck, in baking, there's a ton of different breads, pastries, cakes, and what-have-you where it's crucial you follow directions exactly, and you have the exact weight of every ingredient. With time you learn what parts can be done with a little bit of love, but not the first time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Baking and cooking are different beasts. Cooking is something that you can easily throw things in and with good technique can make something edible and tasty. Baking is more reliant on the underlying chemistry, so deviating 20g in flour in some recipes will turn out not at all what you want. The margin for error is a lot more forgiving in most cooking.

But that's not what Grand Fromage is after, and I'm sympathetic. Trying to recreate something that isn't easily quantified is difficult and it helps to have a good place to start. Although I expect it's the actual ingredient differences which will make it near impossible to recreate, it's not a bad goal. Veggies taste different somewhat based on where they're grown and how they're grown, so it's tough to perfectly recreate those changes. Hell, even the differences in the oil that's used is going to make a difference in flavor. But knowing that you need 6-7 cloves of garlic roughly chopped is a good place to start.

I haven't found the answer to the recipe problem, but I've been trying to do the same thing. My first attempt at making GF doubanjiang was not great, but the GF soy sauce is just about ready to package after about 14 months and it's smelling great and has good color. I may attempt the GF doubanjiang again this summer, but I'll probably end up using easy to find US peppers because finding erjingtiao seeds has been impossible. It'll be better than the attempt I made with red thai chilies, but that's not terrible either. Just something completely different.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah but like that recipe i posted lists quantities of the main ingredients and then shows pictures of how much of everything else she used with a caption that says "this is how much i normally use but you can use more if you want" i dont know how much more you can reasonable expect out of recipes. not everything is kenji quality. if you can't use this type of recipe as a good starting point then i literally don't know what you're looking for other than taking a pilgrimage to the area of china with the food/style you're going for and asking to sit in and observe a restaurant chef or something.

i mean even given a perfect recipe you're probably gonna be using it as a starting point and the second time around change things up a bit to fit your personal taste.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 3, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Call me old-fashioned but I just find it odd to call somebody some kind of autist for wanting a recipe in a cooking thread.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Call me old-fashioned but I just find it odd to call somebody some kind of autist for wanting a recipe in a cooking thread.

your old fashioned

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jeoh posted:

maybe just cook some food and stop being so autistic

please don't do this. striving for authenticity is fine, and also not particularly an autistic trait; if anything the opposite is true, as autistic people are more likely to want to stick to flavors we're familiar with than to try to replicate something we've never even tasted before.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

pim01 posted:

Made some xinjiang lamb skewers just now - ate a ton of them when I lived in Singapore, and our fave hole-in-the-wall proper Chinese restaurant here in Edinburgh does them really well, but somehow I'd never made them myself before.

Very simple to do and awesomely tasty as I could keep the lamb a lot more pink than you'd normally get - quite close to the ones I ate in the uighur bits of chengdu!

Pages back but I just moved home to Edinburgh (from Singapore no less!!!) and would like to know where this is?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

kru posted:

Pages back but I just moved home to Edinburgh (from Singapore no less!!!) and would like to know where this is?

Hah, that's amazing!

It's noodles & dumplings on South Clerk Street, just across from the Southern. Amazing place doing Northern Chinese food, its been there for two or three years now - their hand pulled noodles for the beef flank soup are proper too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Soricidus posted:

please don't do this. striving for authenticity is fine, and also not particularly an autistic trait; if anything the opposite is true, as autistic people are more likely to want to stick to flavors we're familiar with than to try to replicate something we've never even tasted before.

TBH authentic is basically just means familiar as far as food reviews go. The exact same Chinese/Indian/whatever food can be called authentic or inauthentic by different people from the same place simply because it's not exactly what they're familiar with. If someone says it's authentic it probably is, but if someone says it's not it might not mean poo poo. At the end of the day, who cares as long as you like it

kru
Oct 5, 2003

pim01 posted:

Hah, that's amazing!

It's noodles & dumplings on South Clerk Street, just across from the Southern. Amazing place doing Northern Chinese food, its been there for two or three years now - their hand pulled noodles for the beef flank soup are proper too.

Ah, fantastic, I'll give it a blast. Missing my Bah Kut Teh though. The final boxes of stuff I had couriered arrive this week hopefully, and I'm sure I had some spices in there. The wait is over!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I know how you feel - It's a year and a half ago since I came back and I still miss the food immensely. I lived near Tanjong Pagar and worked in the CBD, being able to just wander over to Chinatown or Maxwell or People's Park and eat awesome food was so, so good.

Kampong Ah Lee (also on South Clerk Street) has good Malaysian if you want to scratch that laksa/roti canai/satay itch, but sadly no bak kut teh.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Shame I didnt realise you were there - I was over for 8 years. Could have hung out! I actually lived on Depot road, still miss the place.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Hah, such a small world! It was only a year or so for me (couldn't stay longer as it would have messed up my eligibility for staying in the UK after brexit)

We should meet up one day for a nasi lemak at kampong ah lee or something, reminisce :)

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Absolutely, that would be super :kickinrad:

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gwrtheyrn posted:

TBH authentic is basically just means familiar as far as food reviews go. The exact same Chinese/Indian/whatever food can be called authentic or inauthentic by different people from the same place simply because it's not exactly what they're familiar with. If someone says it's authentic it probably is, but if someone says it's not it might not mean poo poo. At the end of the day, who cares as long as you like it

This.

"Authentic" food is most of the time whatever is on hand combined with the basic idea of the so called "authentic" recipe and put on the table. The obsession with refining and defining authentic and the one true way is tedious and boring.

Carbonara is a fantastic example of a so called authentic and traditional dish taken to the tedious extremes of pointless stupidity.

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 11, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have a preferred recipe for 门钉肉饼?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nope sorry i dont

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have a preferred recipe for 门钉肉饼?

I just made the recipe in this video yesterday, looks pretty close? Doubled the recipe, had 3 skillets of them going at once, and my 2 kids and a friend of theirs destroyed 24 of them. I've made a few things from her channel and been pleased with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZ5lROGUr0

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Not quite 门钉肉饼 but in roughly that type of bao zi (I guess it all falls under that category?), I really like fuchsia's 生煎慢头 recipe. Can't find that one online, but this one looks similar, ingredients and process-wise:

https://lets-playdough.com/2017/04/23/shanghai-potsticker-buns-%E7%94%9F%E7%85%8E%E9%A6%92%E5%A4%B4/

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It's teochew so I guess it fits in the thread - made bak kut teh today with a bunch of local pork ribs (from a small farm up in Fife).

Big piles of toasted garlic and white pepper, and a few hours of simmering make for an awesome flavourful bak kut teh

I really enjoy the pure peppery taste of the Singapore version - the darker, more complex malay one is nice too, but it's not quite the same (plus less nostalgia :))

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Oh god that looks so good!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

pim01 posted:

Not quite 门钉肉饼 but in roughly that type of bao zi (I guess it all falls under that category?), I really like fuchsia's 生煎慢头 recipe. Can't find that one online, but this one looks similar, ingredients and process-wise:

https://lets-playdough.com/2017/04/23/shanghai-potsticker-buns-%E7%94%9F%E7%85%8E%E9%A6%92%E5%A4%B4/

Which book? I have Land of Plenty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What are your favorite cheap and easy home recipes? I had chanpon in Japan and I got to thinking that I could make filling stuff like that at home too, and Chinese food always tastes good. The spicier the better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Most Chinese food has mildly fiddly prep but isn't too hard. There's the 900 step banquet poo poo but nobody eats that unless they're trying to impress someone, everyday food largely consists of straightforward stir fries. Mapo tofu, qingjiao chao rousi, hui guo rou, gan bian huacai are all simple, the ingredients are easy enough to get in the US (you may need to use Amazon for huajiao/tianmianjiang/doubanjiang) and you're free to add as much chili as you want.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 30, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My favorite easy at home spicy thing is 小炒肉

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s true, but I do know that some stuff requires a wok and a big burner. Is that still necessary for home cooking?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

That’s true, but I do know that some stuff requires a wok and a big burner. Is that still necessary for home cooking?

Nope, some of the best braises in chinese cooking don't need a big flame. I would wager that most of the stuff you would want to make at home anyway doesn't require a 75,000 BTU burner.

Granted, if you want the wok hei you can also cook proteins in small batches in a cast iron that you heat on the highest heat for like 10 minutes. I did that with shrimp the other day and it was fantastic. Just be prepared to set off every smoke alarm in the house.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I wanna pressure cook some pork belly. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that boil down to soy sauce, shaoxing, ginger, scallions...maybe star anise? I'm not so much looking to replicate a specific dish, I just want some tasty pressure braised pork belly. ANy toher suggestions? Also, worth it to slap it under the broiler once it comes out?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I'd do that but add a few bits to make it a red braise, as per hong shao rou - bit of caramelised sugar, dark soy (if you want for a deeper sweeter salty touch), light soy, shaoxing wine, ginger, star anise, piece of cassia bark, couple dried chilies should make for a tasty sauce for pork belly.

I'd do it in bite size pieces, rather than one big chunk (blanch beforehand to get rid of some of the scum) and then reduce the sauce down till its nice and sticky.

toplitzin posted:

Which book? I have Land of Plenty.

This one:

Land of Fish and Rice: Recipes from the Culinary Heart of China

It centers around shanghai and is a really good read with solid recipes, like all her books really :)

pim01 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 30, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah that red braised pork was good. With the abalone as well. Four seasons Hangzhou makes good eastern Chinese food

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pollyanna posted:

People here overemphasize this stuff. Most Chinese people in cities cook with a wok on basically a similar type of gas burner that you probably have at home and they make Chinese food just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fart simpson posted:

My favorite easy at home spicy thing is 小炒肉

Yeah this is good.

Pollyanna posted:

No. You won't get the restaurant flavor but you don't have to. The best way I've been able to replicate it is on a ripping hot cast iron pan and cooking in batches.