Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I started Yuppie Psycho this weekend and I'm really enjoying it. It's got some fun, if simple, puzzles, and gameplay itself is nothing to write home about, but does away with a lot of my frustrations with Count Lucanor, and overall the game feels much, much more polished. There was a fairly old-school style boss battle that I hit before I stopped playing for the day, and I honestly could have done without that. It added some tension, to be fair, but it felt pretty clunky and I kind of won by accident.

My biggest complaint, which I guess could be extended out as a general complaint about all games now, is that I just don't get the reasoning behind a limited-save system in any game, horror or not. This has another sort of "currency" (magic paper) that you use to save at specific save points (photocopiers), and you actually have a second "currency" that you use to activate those save points (printer ink), so if you happen to miss one or the other, you could basically be stuck without the means to save for stretches of the game. In practice, I was never short on the paper, but I think I missed some ink somehow, which only meant I had to backtrack to rooms where there was a working copier to save. But it's still an annoying, fiddly system that I feel adds absolutely nothing to the game IMO.

Also I think modern developers that do this don't consider the fact that most players take for granted the convenience of autosaving in modern games, so if your game is one of the three that use actual save points in TYOOL 2019, I'm never going to loving remember that I have to save manually, and the few times I do, I will resent you for it. I get that it's also a smallish love letter to the RE games that did this kind of crap, but it's still dumb. I had to redo long-ish sections because I was dumb and forgot to save for a while, and while I'm sure the goal is to add tension and some agony over whether or not to use your "limited" saves, but in practice all it adds for me is frustration and resentment.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does anybody know of a good LP of Lucanor? The name sounds weird and Hidden Object Game-y enough that I haven't really been paying attention to it, but people really seem to like it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Does anybody know of a good LP of Lucanor? The name sounds weird and Hidden Object Game-y enough that I haven't really been paying attention to it, but people really seem to like it.

It's got great atmosphere and some genuinely unsettling moments, but yeah, a good LP might be the best way to experience because it's got some rough edges in terms of gameplay. It reminds me a lot of The Last Door, in terms of games that manage to pull off low res pixel art horror better than I thought possible. Yuppie Psycho is a step up in a lot of ways, but it's got a different feel in a way that still makes Lucanor worth checking out.

All that said, no, I don't know of a good LP :v:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread question: what parts of Manhunt's design are worth preserving in other games?

• 80s-90s VCR aesthetic and setting
  • Voyeur element for player perspective
  • Responsive enemy NPC state to put more meat on player's agency.

Some specific questions (I am comparing this against a semiformed design doc I have):

1. Do you think firearms helped Manhunt, or was the melee more appealing?
2. Would manhunt levels work if, instead of a team of idiot individually killable enemies, you were wearing down/evading a single much nastier enemy as you complete other objectives?
3. How would you feel about the use of digital, cable-style artifacting in some cases instead of VCR?

Right now what I've got has a lot of Manhunt's framing and aesthetic, but the gameplay is closer to, e.g., stay out of the house.

Late to the party, but:
I liked Manhunt's almost complete poverty of the main character. Not that your character is starving, but that when you find a plastic shopping bag or a discarded brick, that's both a great find and a deadly weapon that you will be immediately killing someone with. Also, the actual kill animations are pretty gruesome with most weapons.

Also important is, like Hotline Miami, while it's true that the enemies are way worse people than you, you're the horror antagonist. Without the main character sneaking up on people and doing slasher stuff, it wouldn't be a horror game, just a really dingy fighting game, like The Warriors.

1. Firearms were OK occasionally. Once you introduce them the game becomes either all about firearms and ammo conservation, or about how the narrative is going to artificially take them away again.
2. It would work, but would it be Manhunt? That sounds more like, say, Puppet Combo, or a Granny knockoff or something. Also, as before, it changes the source of the horror from the main character (as Manhunt and Hotline Miami) to the villain (as everything else) unless there are smaller enemies in the same space and you're kind of competing with the superior killer.
3. Sounds neat, do you have a particular example in mind?

chitoryu12 posted:

you'd need to confiscate every electronic device or otherwise find a way to keep the characters from Internet and phone access that could throw the plot off the rails, and the idea of snuff films hidden online is hardly shocking when Liveleak and 4chan exist and any random 12-year-old can find all the slow motion shotgun headshots he wants with a Google search.

I don't know, it worked kind of OK for Welcome to the Game 2. Which wasn't actually good, but had some things going for it, horror-wise. Also, while it's dumb as hell, it works one thing like Manhunt, in the concept that there's a world of awful poo poo going on right around you, and so much as going down to the alley to pick up an illegal silkroad purchase can be enough to cause you to run into a waiting murderous pervert there.

Also, the newer versions of Buzzsaw Blood House had an internet snuff film theme to them, and managed to pull it off pretty well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know, it worked kind of OK for Welcome to the Game 2. Which wasn't actually good, but had some things going for it, horror-wise. Also, while it's dumb as hell, it works one thing like Manhunt, in the concept that there's a world of awful poo poo going on right around you, and so much as going down to the alley to pick up an illegal silkroad purchase can be enough to cause you to run into a waiting murderous pervert there.

I think with Welcome to the Game 2 it would be better if it was done over a longer period of time than a single night. It ends up feeling almost like every bad guy was just waiting downstairs for their turn to jump you. Make it a slower burn over the course of multiple days and introduce each threat and a deeper level of the dark web gradually.

As far as firearms are concerned, they're best used in a game like Manhunt as a limited resource to be saved for emergencies. Give them a small amount of ammo that the NPCs are tied to as well, so if a guy has a revolver with 5 rounds he doesn't get unlimited ammo. You've got 5 rounds and that's it, regardless of whether it's him or you that uses them. Different gangs would be more or less willing to shoot, with the most careful ones saving their guns for when they need it and the crazy ones just popping off at everything even if it's not their intended target (so you can throw a rock or can in a corner and they'll freak out and fire at it). When you do get a gun, its noise will also attract attention that you have to deal with. Make it so that enemies shooting attracts attention as well, since none of them know if it's you or them firing and are just running to see what's going on.

So combine that with the "last known position" feature that a lot of games have been using so you can circle around and ambush enemies hunting for you. If you want to ramp up the gore, make a sort of QTE system where it goes into slow motion on an animated kill and lets you choose how to string together different types of attacks to create a detailed, brutal kill that gets played back for you when you're done.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

I think with Welcome to the Game 2 it would be better if it was done over a longer period of time than a single night. It ends up feeling almost like every bad guy was just waiting downstairs for their turn to jump you. Make it a slower burn over the course of multiple days and introduce each threat and a deeper level of the dark web gradually.

Yeah, there were some pretty big problems with all of it that could be solved by even slightly better writing.

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want to ramp up the gore, make a sort of QTE system where it goes into slow motion on an animated kill and lets you choose how to string together different types of attacks to create a detailed, brutal kill that gets played back for you when you're done.

This is a really good idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's really a very good idea. How has nobody done that yet?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

Probably because the furor against it wouldn't be worth it. Might be enough to get it an AO rating, too.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 29, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Welcome to the Game 2's biggest fault is hinting at tons of things to do when there's... really not much. My first thought at seeing the sticky note explaining the breaker fault was that you'd be able to break in to the apartment and unplug the fridge to stop or at least slow down the issue. VPNs also I figured would involve breaking into areas and uploading miners at the risk of triggering an alarm and summoning the cops, who are already a mechanic.

Same with the computer out front, I figured you'd be able to gently caress with the security system to get a notification about low budget 47 skulking about. You can get motion detectors but I've never seen them work right.

I really wanted and tried so hard to like that game but it was so full of disappointment, and in the third act it basically just becomes random chance of you dying whenever you open a door :smith: 80% of the building is only there for a sidequest you'll never purposely activate

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The older Mortal Kombat games had the same thing with the Chain Fatality system.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Opinions on Remothered:Tormented Fathers? Looks like a Clock Tower type of game, which I like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Probably because the furor against it wouldn't be worth it. Might be enough to get it an AO rating, too.
I mean, they don't have to be all gore and brutality, but the idea of a finishing move that you can basically compose on the fly is pretty drat great and a lot of action games that are half cinematic anyway would really benefit from the interactivity.

Hector Delgado posted:

Opinions on Remothered:Tormented Fathers? Looks like a Clock Tower type of game, which I like.
I've been avoiding it because the title just makes me think MRA, so I really would like to know about that, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There's a lot about the base gameplay loop of Manhunt's stealth systems that's really limited, and I found the horror gore aspect insufficient to sustain it over time (which is why they had to escalate to guns). I'm not interested in duplicating those games' gore fixation, both because I do think it's problematic, and because it's kinda...boring.

Skyscraper posted:

Also important is, like Hotline Miami, while it's true that the enemies are way worse people than you, you're the horror antagonist. Without the main character sneaking up on people and doing slasher stuff, it wouldn't be a horror game, just a really dingy fighting game, like The Warriors.

2. It would work, but would it be Manhunt? That sounds more like, say, Puppet Combo, or a Granny knockoff or something. Also, as before, it changes the source of the horror from the main character (as Manhunt and Hotline Miami) to the villain (as everything else) unless there are smaller enemies in the same space and you're kind of competing with the superior killer.
I need to think on this and revise my writeup- the challenge is that a lot of the manhunt-y things about this design are pushed upward to thematic or metaloop levels, and the base gameplay loop is indeed much closer to Stay Out of the House, which is what initially inspired this design.

I do have a really clever response to this part (if I do say so myself :smug:), but it again moves pretty heavily to the metaloop.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Metal Gear Revengeance sort of had a glorified kill system where you could cut anything in any direction. But yeah, for content reasons in Japan all the enemies became androids with Aliens-esque milk blood.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been avoiding it because the title just makes me think MRA, so I really would like to know about that, too.

I think I have a post in here talking about it, let me find it real quick

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Metal Gear Revengeance sort of had a glorified kill system where you could cut anything in any direction. But yeah, for content reasons in Japan all the enemies became androids with Aliens-esque milk blood.
I think that was just a Metal Gear Solid 4 thing. They got (very graphically) rid of that again for Revengeance. It's not quite what I meant, though. I was imagining it like one of those combo trees you get in some brawlers. Press X for headbutt, then press Y for nut shot or B for elbow breaker, etc. etc. That kind of thing.

FirstAidKite posted:

I think I have a post in here talking about it, let me find it real quick
Appreciated! I'll check back on your post later.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Yeah as neat as going to town on a dude with a bunch of different button presses it does immediately remind me of the Kreate-a-Fatality from like Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Which were all kinda janky.

The concept of the player character and an antagonist killer both scrapping with lesser goons and thugs waiting to catch a messy end sounds cool though, kinda reminds me of horror vs films - AvP, Freddy vs Jason. I could dig that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Found it

FirstAidKite posted:

Hahaha, I watched through John's latest vid showing the rest of the full release of Remothered and uhhhhh wow. Wow. I felt like the game was nosediving towards the end of the early access part and man the end stuff was not able to pull out of that nosedive. The story became a clusterfuck and just...

I don't really know what to say other than just the story just fell apart and everything just felt really messy. If someone wants to tell me what exactly happened in the story, that'd be fine with me because I feel like it just kinda didn't much sense, that the story was a jumble of various different ideas that they never managed to piece together smoothly.

I'm also not a fan of the whole mental health angle but that's before even getting into the issues of the story and the way it is told.

Basically, without spoiling anything, the game goes a lot of places but is very bad at making it clear what those places even are. It's like if someone shot at you with a confetti gun and then asked you to mash the confetti together into a coherent work telling a scary story but of course what you really have is just a bunch of confetti lying around.

And to go into spoilers just a tiny bit, you should not play the game if you are not a fan of horror that is tied to subjects such as mental health, mental abuse, physical abuse, and very badly handling the subject of trans people.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a lot about the base gameplay loop of Manhunt's stealth systems that's really limited, and I found the horror gore aspect insufficient to sustain it over time (which is why they had to escalate to guns). I'm not interested in duplicating those games' gore fixation, both because I do think it's problematic, and because it's kinda...boring.

Horror gore isn't enough to sustain anything forever, but most games can't be sustained forever. It worked for as long as it worked, and then stopped working, like any gameplay element. Also, the addition of guns is not a replacement for horror gore, it's a replacement for melee sneak kills. You can look at Sniper Elite's x-ray kills as an example of a direct replacement of horror gore for distance combat, though admittedly most wouldn't find them very horrifying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Basically, without spoiling anything, the game goes a lot of places but is very bad at making it clear what those places even are. It's like if someone shot at you with a confetti gun and then asked you to mash the confetti together into a coherent work telling a scary story but of course what you really have is just a bunch of confetti lying around.

And to go into spoilers just a tiny bit, you should not play the game if you are not a fan of horror that is tied to subjects such as mental health, mental abuse, physical abuse, and very badly handling the subject of trans people.
Thanks. Looks like this is another "stream a playthrough of it sometime maybe" title.

quote:

You can look at Sniper Elite's x-ray kills as an example of a direct replacement of horror gore for distance combat, though admittedly most wouldn't find them very horrifying.
Amusingly, I think those are actually cribbed from modern kung-fu movies.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Thanks guys, appreciate the warning. Apparently there is going to be a sequel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Skyscraper posted:

Horror gore isn't enough to sustain anything forever, but most games can't be sustained forever. It worked for as long as it worked, and then stopped working, like any gameplay element. Also, the addition of guns is not a replacement for horror gore, it's a replacement for melee sneak kills. You can look at Sniper Elite's x-ray kills as an example of a direct replacement of horror gore for distance combat, though admittedly most wouldn't find them very horrifying.

Absolutely, I just found the melee execution animations stopped being engaging about two levels in, around the same time as the rest of the melee sneaking loop. I'll compile my writeup this evening and we can dig into its problems.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Remothered is a bad game with a bad plot but it's probably something that's fun to "mock let's play" because the plot is loving stupid and the characters act like high schoolers in a bad play.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

SuperGreatFriend did a playthrough of Remothered. It's a pretty b-tier horror game that would've been all right had it come out during the PS2 era, but for a recent release it's not too good and there is a ton of trial and error.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Remothered looks really nice but it's also set in a house the size of a 5 star hotel.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

2000 words in and I need to take a break before my wrists give out. I'm maybe 40% of the way through my writeup. This is...extensive, but I figured out how to end it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 30, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Remothered looks really nice but it's also set in a house the size of a 5 star hotel.

they built the police station in an art museum

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remothered's got nothing on The Conjuring House (though I forget what that game is called now since they had to rename it because it has absolutely nothing to do with The Conjuring and I'm surprised they even tried to get away with naming it that)

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Bogart posted:

they built the police station in an art museum
Spencer being a crazy rear end in a top hat who likes to put insane puzzle locks all over the place is very canon for ResiEvil in general, just presume he had a hand in Racoon City in general.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I absolutely love exploring big houses, especially when they're spooky. so would you say I would enjoy those games

edit: I have a high tolerance for Bad

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

voltcatfish posted:

I absolutely love exploring big houses, especially when they're spooky. so would you say I would enjoy those games

Explore a small house! Play Anatomy! if you haven't already

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

god i would love to enjoy anatomy fresh with no foreknowledge again. i don't know if there're any games that capture that vibe

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

My small group of friends generally enjoy horror, but also get too freaked out to actually play horror games, so we've started a little club where I play the games and they all poop themselves while watching me play the games. So far we've started with pretty straightforward stuff-- Amnesia, Soma, Resident Evil, etc. I'm excited for when we get to Anatomy because I don't think any of them have any idea the kind of poo poo that indie horror games do. We were playing Yuppie Psycho this weekend and they were all perpetually :psyduck:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MockingQuantum posted:

My small group of friends generally enjoy horror, but also get too freaked out to actually play horror games, so we've started a little club where I play the games and they all poop themselves while watching me play the games. So far we've started with pretty straightforward stuff-- Amnesia, Soma, Resident Evil, etc. I'm excited for when we get to Anatomy because I don't think any of them have any idea the kind of poo poo that indie horror games do. We were playing Yuppie Psycho this weekend and they were all perpetually :psyduck:

That's awesome. I played the original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame that way and it's honestly the most fun way to experience horror for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIbO4Qvd-VM

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never played a horror game with friends except for P.T. which was a magical experience stumbling through that game blind with friends prior to anyone figuring out exactly how you beat it and we finished it as the meta evolved in real time on Twitch. I can't stress enough how much I hate Konami for canning it because it was one of the most magical 2 hours of gaming for me, topped only by playing Zombies Ate My Neighbors after watching Troll 2 as a wee lad.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

That's awesome. I played the original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame that way and it's honestly the most fun way to experience horror for me.

I think a lot of horror games benefit from the crowd effect in the same way horror and comedy movies do. I think I'd have enjoyed Amnesia a lot less if I'd played it solo, in large part because I've played a lot of the more recent games that crib from it so the novelty it had when it released was mostly not there for me, but at least two of the people who were there had never really played any horror games so it kind of got the full effect.

Not to say Amnesia doesn't hold up well, the wine cellar part still freaked the poo poo out of all of us.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Does Darkwoods nights ever get scary or is it just going to be a random assortment of mob fights throwing themselves at my defenses? I haven't got out if what I think is the first chapter, furthest I've been is past the bridge to third hideout

Honestly, it's bringing then game down for me. The exploring and vibe have been creepy and cool, than that is interrupted so I got can sit in a corner and hit poo poo with a stick for ten minutes every day

Edit: I've seen one two nights that seemed to be stronger into supernatural tomfoolery, but I seen it once and it still just ended the night with things banging on my windows

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 30, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

Honestly, the actual "chased by stalker enemy" gameplay in Remothered is probably the best thing about it. I think its plot is ridiculous in a bad way but the actual gameplay of hiding from the stalker character is done fairly well. You're given different ways of fighting off the attacker without ever truly feeling like you're in control of the situation, just barely scraping by, and there are enough scary sequences that manage to keep you really on your toes.

This is the part where you tell me you weren't asking about remothered lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I also have some friends who like the horror aesthetic but are too scaredy-cat. Personally, being with other people decreases my level of dread with more atmospheric games... but I can still be pretty anxious with the more action oriented ones.

Playing with friends though makes a bad story more fun, and that can be what saves some horror games.