Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

RTC is fine if you're not pushing boots. My brothers a SAMI over there and he works like 4 hours a day.

How many times has he had stupid fuckers flag each other on the range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Who's excited about more uniforms? (Not that anyone here will see these ... hopefully)

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1121523297508909056

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

How many times has he had stupid fuckers flag each other on the range

Lol that's fair.

Less than youd think though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Who's excited about more uniforms? (Not that anyone here will see these ... hopefully)

"It will be cheaper!"
* Spends 45 mil designing it
* Turns out more expensive

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Brown I understand but why tan? Wouldn’t grey or some color that nobody uses be better?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

They should probably have designed it to not need a belt for situations when the belt can be confiscated, like in a cell.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

Why couldn't we just take a normal orange prison jumpsuit and slap an anchor on it and call it good?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Why couldn't we just take a normal orange prison jumpsuit and slap an anchor on it and call it good?

No pride in uniform lol

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Because we have to spend as much money on uniforms as legally possible, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

Question for you goons that have been stationed out in Naples: I've got a friend heading out there for his next duty station, and he wanted to know where the best places were to live and where to avoid. Any recommendations?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
How long ago did the Wasp move to 7th fleet? I ask because it's apparently leaving again.

link: https://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1824792/uss-america-uss-new-orleans-to-forward-deploy-to-japan-uss-stethem-and-uss-wasp/

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2019

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

About a year ago. This is relatively normal. There's been a lot of talk about increasing the pace of FDNF rotation for amphibs. Also, I going to be charitable and day they are announcing the port shifts relatively far in advance after the unmitigated personnel disaster that was GREEN BAY's homeport shift.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

DustyNuts posted:

Speaking of that, it looks like there isn't a Marine thread anymore? Did they all die/get out? Future Navy threads should be DEPT of the Navy threads from now on maybe?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803603&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=295

Current Marine thread is Army surplus with new coat of paint

E: or was? Now it's bikes wtf?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

simplefish posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803603&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=295

Current Marine thread is Army surplus with new coat of paint

E: or was? Now it's bikes wtf?

It went to TFR first, then AI, now it's in CA.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goddamn it. I did three days of training a few weeks back and they managed to only pay me for two days. Only noticed because work pays differential.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Valley Stared posted:

Because we have to spend as much money on uniforms as legally possible, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

Question for you goons that have been stationed out in Naples: I've got a friend heading out there for his next duty station, and he wanted to know where the best places were to live and where to avoid. Any recommendations?

Pozzuoli is nice if you can stand the commute with lots of Italian drivers.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pozzuoli is nice if you can stand the commute with lots of Italian drivers.

Did the bus drivers down there use the sidewalks as roads? Used the scare the poo poo out of me in Florence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Did the bus drivers down there use the sidewalks as roads? Used the scare the poo poo out of me in Florence.

Dunno, probably. I'm mostly just going off what I was told by my father about his time in Naples.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

About a year ago. This is relatively normal. There's been a lot of talk about increasing the pace of FDNF rotation for amphibs. Also, I going to be charitable and day they are announcing the port shifts relatively far in advance after the unmitigated personnel disaster that was GREEN BAY's homeport shift.

A full homeport shift though? That's a lot of dependents to shuffle around every couple of years, at once. :/

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
The amphibs go through more use and abuse than the DDGs do. The only way to keep them going is to change out them frequently, even if it is expensive to move everyone every two years. I'm honestly shocked that they haven't announced the Ashland or Germantown shifting, but my guess is they don't have a great replacement for either of them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Can’t they send a ship and use the crew that’s already there?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

I got to Green Bay right after the port shift and it took two years to regain some sense of normalcy. There were a lot of very disgruntled geobachelors who thought their orders to San Diego were going to stick. Only to find out 30 days after checking in that they were headed to Japan.

Also the Wasp was always a stopgap until they got America over there with another LPD.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

This happened a few hours ago: https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/loud-boom-heard-by-many-across-the-southside-monday-night/1964509466 People reported this all over the area, it was LOUD.

I thought a car had run into my house or something. Navy says "Not us!" but I have suspicions.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I remember in 13 when they took down the South Bay power plant in San Diego right after I came back from a deployment and I grabbed my kids and took them in the closet. Good times!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DustyNuts posted:

This happened a few hours ago: https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/loud-boom-heard-by-many-across-the-southside-monday-night/1964509466 People reported this all over the area, it was LOUD.

I thought a car had run into my house or something. Navy says "Not us!" but I have suspicions.

Yeah...sounds like someone pushed it up a bit too much.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Why can't the aviators just stick to drawing sky penises

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Students have been bitching all day about a new LPO at the barracks causing all kinds of hell. A female DC1 that supposedly got kicked off her last ship (The Fitz) for abandoning her GQ station during a fire.

TVS confirm/deny that that happened?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Students have been bitching all day about a new LPO at the barracks causing all kinds of hell. A female DC1 that supposedly got kicked off her last ship (The Fitz) for abandoning her GQ station during a fire.

Mr. Bad Guy, you have PMs? I think I know who it is, and that doesn't sound like correct at all. The give them hell part? Yes, because she did that to everyone. My DCC and I admired that about her. Getting kicked off? Not sure what the gently caress that's about.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

FrozenVent posted:

Can’t they send a ship and use the crew that’s already there?

While marines are interchangeable the moment your crew doesn't have even the smallest shred of personal attachment to 'their' ship that ship is ready for scraping.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Also did you really expect students to be right about anything at all ever.

Students are dumb enough to enlist and their not even enlisted enough to realize how dumb it was.

Please roast them for being disrespectful in the presence of royalty.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Students are always always wrong.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

While marines are interchangeable the moment your crew doesn't have even the smallest shred of personal attachment to 'their' ship that ship is ready for scraping.

Y’all got a cultural problem. Merchant marines get switched from ship to ship all the drat time and it doesn’t turn into an issue.

I spent 4 years as a cadet / deckhand and five years as an OOW, and by last count I think I sailed 23 different ships or something.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Y’all got a cultural problem. Merchant marines get switched from ship to ship all the drat time and it doesn’t turn into an issue.

I spent 4 years as a cadet / deckhand and five years as an OOW, and by last count I think I sailed 23 different ships or something.

We do. The navy has tried crew swaps on different ships in the past (I think the Stout and the Laboon were the test platforms) when the ships were on deployment, and I've heard it was nothing short of a disaster. The crew leaving didn't leave great records for the oncoming crew, and the oncoming crews were left to try and figure out what maintenance needed to be complete.

I've heard similar things when they did a hull swap of the Tortuga and the Avenger.

In theory, we should be keeping excellent records of the maintenance and what jobs need to be done for the ship, and just put a new experienced crew on it with few problems. We just always seem to have a ton of problems doing it though. I understand that you'll always have to learn the ship's quirks, but crew swaps and hull swaps on most of the surface fleet just never seem to go well.

I think LCS and the subs are different because those crews belong to that ship, and know that they'll be on and off it periodically, so it's in their best interest to keep it in good shape.

And the students are super wrong about their LPO. They're griping because she has standards that she expects to be met.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The boomer fleet is still manned by two crews is it not?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ron Jeremy posted:

The boomer fleet is still manned by two crews is it not?

Yeah and people constantly bitch about the work done by the "other crew" (gold crew) because they're a bunch of lazy fuckwits!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

orange juche posted:

Students are always always wrong.

Confirmed, they're all just pissy because their feefees are tender.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah and people constantly bitch about the work done by the "other crew" (gold crew) because they're a bunch of lazy fuckwits!

Reminds me of the day shift/night shift beef at the Wal-Mart I worked at back in the day

Day shift represent, we had to deal with actual Wal-Mart customers. :colbert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Canadian Coast guard does crew and crew (28 days and 28 days on big ships, 14 and 14 on small ones and 42/42 in the Arctic), so they have A crew, B crew and The Other Crew.

Every always gets hosed up by The Other Crew.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Doesn't the whole Cyclone class do crew swapping?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cerekk posted:

If one crew does something really awesome on deployment is that like a super meta version of Navy cucking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Cerekk posted:

No. The MCMs and PCs ended crew swapping.