Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

khysanth posted:

I used the 20% off repeatedly (as long as it is a separate transaction, you can use it every time) to buy a bunch of mountaineering gear. New crampons, boots, gaiters, helmet.

Works on backcountry.com too.

Though now everyone has to wait a year to try it! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W. D. Basterd
Jul 11, 2016
Had this on my hike

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That reminds me of when I went on a 7 hour hike and brought a gallon freezer bag filled with French toast.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I love zip lock bags filled with cake. It is gets too mushed up, just tear off a corner and pipe it down your gullet.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I have definitely carried cold pizza slices in my backpack for a questionable number of hours in the mountain sun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sweet_jones posted:

I have definitely carried cold pizza slices in my backpack for a questionable number of hours in the mountain sun.

I have to admit, carrying a few slices of pizza and a can of coke on the first day in makes for the best dinner.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Best first day dinner is a pack of jalapeno cheddar brats cooked over the fire, with a soft tortilla shell draped over to crisp up a bit near the end, and wrapped around for the bun.

Fight me :colbert:

Cold yuckway sub isn’t bad either, if you want something quick and on the way, and don’t feel like building a fire or cooking when you get to camp.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
7 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a cold beer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

7 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a cold beer.

Pita shells are a bit easier because you can buy smaller packs and they're a little more structurally sound. :v:

The wheat ones taste just like normal bread too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

xzzy posted:

Pita shells are a bit easier because you can buy smaller packs and they're a little more structurally sound. :v:

The wheat ones taste just like normal bread too.

This is a good idea!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I actually prefer some of the thicker flour tortillas as they seem to stay soft longer than pita bread. Then again I live in Seattle and I have yet to find good pita bread at any grocery store that isn't hard the day you bring it home.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you have the forethought to premake/wrap some stuff, I have two prime first night meals

Make cheese sandwiches
wrap them in tinfoil
Throw them in the fire

OR:

Tortillas, cheese, pepperoni, sauce
Wrap in tinfoil
throw in fire

You now have grilled cheese or pizza wraps. Enjoy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wish I lived someplace that allowed campfires :/

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Wish I lived someplace that allowed campfires :/

let me tell u about sovereign citizenship :v:

Chard fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 22, 2019

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

After trying out a lot of boots/shoes in my local outdoors gear shop I finally found some Meindl's which fit my fairly wide feet. They have a "comfort fit" style which seems to be substantially wider around the toes than most boots, I tried them out on a short walk and they are dramatically better than my old boots, my toes no longer start hurting on downhill sections. Would recommend if you have wide feet.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

does anyone have a suggestion for a hat for hiking/travelling to somewhere sunny

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

does anyone have a suggestion for a hat for hiking/travelling to somewhere sunny

Depends what you're looking for. I live somewhere that rains about 3 weeks a year so hats are essential and find that nothing has beaten my Nike running hat. It's super light and is designed to suck away the ever present sweat. It doesn't have a flap though so the back of your neck needs to get sunscreen or you're gonna burn. If you do forget sunscreen a bandanna tucked under the back to cover your neck works a treat, you can even put a bit of water on it to help keep you cool.

I've tried wide brim hats for a while too and they work out quite nice. You just want something that is super light and preferably has a bit of mesh to allow airflow or they start getting a bit warm.

This is all predicated on it being warm and sunny not just sunny but basically just find what ever is available that is light and comfortable.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Cowboy hat

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat has worked well for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy whatever rei has on their little hat kiosk that has a wide brim all the way around and won't get destroyed when you cram it in a bag.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Business of Ferrets posted:

I have this hat, works great.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Business of Ferrets posted:

I, too, have this hat and it has worked fine.

A slightly less covering but more modular alternative is a regular baseball style cap plus a lightweight buff. Honestly my buff has probably done more for preventing my neck from burning than any hat, partly because I just tend to leave it on when I may take a hat off and forget. The buff doesn't do anything for ears or side of your face though (unless you pull it up the back of your head, but that's a bit extreme for my hiking situations).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would Joshua Tree be OK this time of year? Weather this weekend looks to be high of upper 80s and dipping down to mid 50s overnight. Would just be a short 3-4 mile out and back trip.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I just did a loop in the Grand Canyon and was for the most part happy with my sun protection. It was a simple light weight long sleeve hoody, trucker hat, and one of the coolmax UV buffs. I didn't need the buff that much tho because the hoody was great for keeping sun off the back of the neck. Wore linerless running shorts and trail runners.

If I were to do it again, though, I would probably get a more specialized hoody. I used a metal vent Lululemon hoody and while it was pretty light weight I wouldn't have minded something even lighter. Maybe the OR Echo hoody or something from Patagonia. I had the Lululemon so I used it.

It was 97 with straight sun and very little cloud cover. Had an 7 mile stretch on the Tonto Plateau with only the occasional boulder for shade to give you an idea of the conditions for that setup.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Tilley also makes some great hats, depending on your budget. They have a couple new ones specifically for hiking that has some kind of active cooling thing in the top of it. They also all have a very handy pocket and thin foam padding in the crown, which has saved me from some pretty good lacerations over the years. Plus, they float!

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

At 2.7oz I can't recommend the Sunday Afternoons Ultra-Adventure Hat enough. I have gone through 4+ hats trying to find the best one for hiking and backpacking all day.

Sure, you look like a grandma when you wear it, but it has too many features that I love. The brim has a folding crease in it so it packs away small. The front of the brim is rigid, so the back flap that protects the sides of your head and the back of your neck doesn't brush up against your ears all day or affect your hearing. Tons of coverage, I often don't even feel the need to wear sunglasses with it on.

This ad brought to you by grandmas everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does that hat come with contract to carry around a trowel at all times?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

I, too, have this hat and it has worked fine.

A slightly less covering but more modular alternative is a regular baseball style cap plus a lightweight buff. Honestly my buff has probably done more for preventing my neck from burning than any hat, partly because I just tend to leave it on when I may take a hat off and forget. The buff doesn't do anything for ears or side of your face though (unless you pull it up the back of your head, but that's a bit extreme for my hiking situations).

No one wants to end up like this guy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jobson groeth posted:

No one wants to end up like this guy

No, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, nobody wants to end up like that guy. :stonklol:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy crap I wanna slap that neck.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We had a guy in Scouts get a burn like that, but on like his entire back because he was hiking shirtless. Pretty sure he had to go to the hospital.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The correct answer is a straw hat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Would Joshua Tree be OK this time of year? Weather this weekend looks to be high of upper 80s and dipping down to mid 50s overnight. Would just be a short 3-4 mile out and back trip.

I did a day trip to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens in Palm Desert last weekend, it was 100 degrees and no one died. It was about 4 hours walking around there, but also we probably didn't walk much because my 2 year old son had us stopping to look at dirt every few steps.

Get your water and sun protection, should be fine.

Edit- This is my hat. I found it in about 6' of water while snorkeling and tubing in the upper Delaware River back when I lived on the east coast.

It's cotton twill and has a couple of vent holes on the sides.

I don't know this brand and can't seem to find it on the internet.

You may be better served by something synthetic that wicks moisture, or that floats.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 2, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Going out for my first weekend trip of the year today, woo. Little lollipop trail, only like 15 miles total between fri-sat-sun

Last year I realized I had replaced enough bulky gear that my huge Deuter Aircontact 65+10 wasn’t really doing its job just due to all the empty space in the pack, so I snagged an Aircontact 45+10 while they were on sale, which saves me nearly a pound in pack weight plus lots of newer features they’ve crammed in in the 6 years between the two

Get all my gear loaded up, pack up my food, get some extra socks and boxers in there

Feeling real good, stripping lots of stuff out of my kit, including my water filter which I forgot to loving clean out back in September

And then I weigh my bag and it’s still coming in at 45lbs.

But it’s too late to make any adjustments so I’m just gonna deal with it for the small amount of hiking I’ll be doing this weekend and then lay everything out and drop a photo in this thread and ask you fine goons what I’m doing wrong

It’s probably the food. I’m still sorta working out what an appropriate amount of food to bring is, even though I know I always come home with loads of extra that just goes in the trash

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 3, 2019

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sockser posted:

Going out for my first weekend trip of the year today, woo. Little lollipop trail, only like 15 miles total between fri-sat-sun

Last year I realized I had replaced enough bulky gear that my huge Deuter Aircontact 65+10 wasn’t really doing its job just due to all the empty space in the pack, so I snagged an Aircontact 45+10 while they were on sale, which saves me nearly a pound in pack weight plus lots of newer features they’ve crammed in in the 6 years between the two

Get all my gear loaded up, pack up my food, get some extra socks and boxers in there

Feeling real good, stripping lots of stuff out of my kit, including my water filter which I forgot to loving clean out back in September

But it’s too late to make any adjustments so I’m just gonna deal with it for the small amount of hiking I’ll be doing this weekend and then lay everything out and drop a photo in this thread and ask you fine goons what I’m doing wrong

It’s probably the food. I’m still sorta working out what an appropriate amount of food to bring is, even though I know I always come home with loads of extra that just goes in the trash

45lbs including food/water? How much water you have?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Tsyni posted:

45lbs including food/water? How much water you have?

Yeah that’s with my water and food loaded up. 2L hydration pack for drinking, 2 nalgenes for drinking and cooking

E: I did just switch from a collapsible sea2summit pot for boiling water for all my meals to a tiny little cook kit with a fry pan so I can maybe try to make a trail quesadilla, and that’s probably adding a bit of weight between the pans and extra food

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I did a day trip to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens in Palm Desert last weekend, it was 100 degrees and no one died. It was about 4 hours walking around there, but also we probably didn't walk much because my 2 year old son had us stopping to look at dirt every few steps.

Get your water and sun protection, should be fine.

Yeah, I'm only going for a quick overnight so I'm not too stressed.

Living Desert Zoo is great, I've been there a few times and always enjoyed it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Pack weight in: 45lbs
Pack weight out: 30lbs

So then I went and bought a kitchen scale so I could go through all my gear piece by piece

And then my leftover food bag is like 2 pounds, plus a handful of things I didn't bother weighing like extra plastic bags and trash bags and some trash kickin around in my bag and some extra batteries

Guess I really just need to plan out my food better to cut down on weight

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hell yeah to posting gear spreadsheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
you don't need an ultralight to save a couple pounds on your tent.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Handsaws/Gyokucho-721-Kobiki-Pruning-Saw/B0034YZUNQ

I'm not sure how much lighter than your saw this is, probably just a couple ounces, but it is by far a superior wood saw than anything you'll find elsewhere. The wood sheath will split if you leave it in the rain after a few weeks since it's unfinished on the inside, so I put a few rounds of gorilla tape around it. There are cheaper places such as japanese woodworker that sell this, but it's extremely lightweight and the blade is more durable than any silky I've used. An entire summer of using it every day I usually go through 2 blades, which last I bought replacement blades were something like $27 each. Saws are somewhere between 40 and 50.