Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least when Super Mario Bros. was embarrassed by its source material it had enough sense to go crazy and cyberpunk with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm actually impressed that the Sonic trailer is significantly worse than i thought it would be. I expected "bad and ugly like a generic Dreamworks film," but it's actually so much worse than that!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Still in awe of the song choice. Like how the gently caress does that work in any way? Something old like Blur - Song 2 or some fast “gotta go fast” song seems like a no brained but no let’s go with Gangster Paradise.
Sonic came out when that song was a megahit, back in the day when Jim Carrey played Ace Ventura style roles all the time. The Fitbit joke is there because this movie is an extremely hypertargeted nostalgia-fest for those of us in our 30s with sedentary office jobs who miss being a kid and honestly, it's the movie we loving deserve. Sonic as a movie is penance. It's a reminder that every waking moment, earned or not, is a hell of our own creation. We earned this. Gangsta's Paradise exists not to pump up the movie, but to remind you that once upon a time, things were easier. We had no rent, no bills, no responsibilities, just a long weekend watching Jim Carrey and drinking Slurpees and playing life-for-life multiplayer on the Genesis, and now, now judgement calls.

This movie looks disgusting, and it's the loving responsibility of everybody to watch it and repent on the sins you committed that led, somehow, inevitably, for this movie to be made.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is the worst thing I've seen in a while. I loving hate that it exists.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
This isn't eggman vs sonic, it's Ace Ventura hunting down a blue hedgehog.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

that looks terrible.

day one

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Pikachu movie is a labor of love, targeted at elder millennials with disposable income, to market merchandise and make you feel good.

The Sonic movie is birthed of hate, targeted at elder millennials with no money, including the line "every hero has a genesis" because it wants you to Regret.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
loving hell, it's like they saw the live action Woody Woodpecker film and the Yogi Bear film and went "Yes, that's the look we want! That's exactly what we want!"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
There was a live-action Yogi Bear movie?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

clown shoes posted:

There was a live-action Yogi Bear movie?

Oh blessed soul how did you miss this

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I liked the jokes at the end with Sonic in the bag.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

No

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy gently caress. What is this. Why. Why does this exist?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Don't get me wrong, the movie's going to suck, but it looks pretty normal for a live action adaptation of a cartoon character.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think I'm enjoying the absolute horribleness of that trailer more than anyone will enjoy the movie itself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Don't get me wrong, the movie's going to suck, but it looks pretty normal for a live action adaptation of a cartoon character.

yeah but those movies normally suck, maybe they should try harder.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I think it looks fine? Like, it's not something I'm dying to see, but I don't hate that trailer.

The effects on Sonic actually look a lot better in motion than they did in the stills, which is a lot of it, I think.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok I’d be way more interested if Sonic followed the games at all. Why save the world?

Let him just be loving around with his animal friends and Dr R just hates him for reasons

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had this same problem with the Tomb Raider movie, at this point, I'm not clear what the premise of Sonic The Hedgehog is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/Campster/status/1123225793008738308

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aw, it's like when we found out that Into The Spider-Verse was set in the dimension which got a sequel to Shaun Of The Dead that was just a pipe dream in this lovely reality.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thrawn527 posted:

No. No. Hell no. No to everything here. No to the character design. No to Jim Carey as Dr. Robotnik. No to Gangster's Paradise being in a movie trailer in 2019. No to the rings apparently being a teleportation device? Just dear god no.

How on Earth is this a thing?

It's from a combination of overprivileged techbro animators and writers born after 1995 and a globalized audience that will unfortunately subsidize their tasteless trash like this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
This is as far as I got

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm starting to think I might legit be going insane and hallucinating versions of these trailers and movies that nobody else sees, because, like

The Sonic movie looks like a generic kids movie, and while not amazing, that's better than literally anything else we could have realistically gotten out of the idea, so I have genuinely no clue where the gently caress all the vitriol is coming from

Like is there an alternate cut of the trailer with Endgame spoilers in it or something?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Yep. That’s about what I expected out of a trailer for a live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm starting to think I might legit be going insane and hallucinating versions of these trailers and movies that nobody else sees, because, like

The Sonic movie looks like a generic kids movie, and while not amazing, that's better than literally anything else we could have realistically gotten out of the idea, so I have genuinely no clue where the gently caress all the vitriol is coming from

Like is there an alternate cut of the trailer with Endgame spoilers in it or something?

imagine if they did sonic but with cute fat sonic using the spiderverse animation technique though

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

That is the most bizarre music choice in a trailer I've seen in a long time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This is the movie Sonic deserves

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

morestuff posted:

This is as far as I got

There Will Be Blood sequel looking good

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Are they still paying Jim Carrey $20 million a movie?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This. All video game movies are trash and this looks slightly better than your average fair.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kassad posted:

This is all of us watching this trailer.

Sleepaway Camp remake lookin real goddamn weird

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Should’ve adapted the early 90’s dystopian Sonic cartoon series imo

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm just going to pretend this is Ace Ventura 3 and catch it when it hits Netflix and I need to feel pain

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

imagine if they did sonic but with cute fat sonic using the spiderverse animation technique though

This would have been great, as would a Mania Adventures movie done by Tyson Hesse

The problem is there's basically no way in gently caress Sega or the studio would have been willing to fund either of those; big live-action/CGI hybrid with celebrities everywhere was what we were gonna get, period, and having it be a safe kids movie is... about the best possible scenario out of that

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whalley posted:

Sonic came out when that song was a megahit, back in the day when Jim Carrey played Ace Ventura style roles all the time. The Fitbit joke is there because this movie is an extremely hypertargeted nostalgia-fest for those of us in our 30s with sedentary office jobs who miss being a kid and honestly, it's the movie we loving deserve. Sonic as a movie is penance. It's a reminder that every waking moment, earned or not, is a hell of our own creation. We earned this. Gangsta's Paradise exists not to pump up the movie, but to remind you that once upon a time, things were easier. We had no rent, no bills, no responsibilities, just a long weekend watching Jim Carrey and drinking Slurpees and playing life-for-life multiplayer on the Genesis, and now, now judgement calls.

This movie looks disgusting, and it's the loving responsibility of everybody to watch it and repent on the sins you committed that led, somehow, inevitably, for this movie to be made.

Sega does what Nintendon't :smug:

cast you into a serling-esque hell of your own creation

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Person who can recall Sonic comics and their author is ok with the Sonic movie.

News at 11. :cheeky:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The problem is there's basically no way in gently caress Sega or the studio would have been willing to fund either of those; big live-action/CGI hybrid with celebrities everywhere was what we were gonna get, period, and having it be a safe kids movie is... about the best possible scenario out of that

I think they blew their "celebrities everywhere" budget enticing Carrey out of retirement, I don't think James Marsden or Ben Schwartz or Neal McDonough really rate on anyone's "celebrity" meter.

They didn't even spring for a known name director, Jeff Fowler's only other directing credit is an animated short called "Gopher Broke" from 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHkDdUoaS2I

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vintersorg posted:

Person who can recall Sonic comics and their author is ok with the Sonic movie.

News at 11. :cheeky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYvO8eaWJNc

not a comic, and incredibly relevant to discussion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that feels like something I'd have seen on TNT at 3 in the afternoon after coming home from school back in 2001.