Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

the N64 controller is a piece of poo poo made for some weird person with 3 hands that assumes I want to use a trigger and an analog stick 1/2" away from the buttons on my right hand in the most awkward and terrible position possible; also gently caress anyone that thinks goldeneye was a good FPS.

it is too bad there will never be a real Fallout game again after NV because the setting was pretty sweet; but maybe I'm also getting old.

and this sucks because LoG1 and 2 were amazing games and you fuckers bitching about RPGs who didn't play them are the cause of this travesty.

no one is guilt free from the early 3d days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ishikabibble posted:

I'm sorry that you have the hands of a small child.

I have long piano fingers yo. I’m sorry you have crippled lovely hands.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think they are, but also 4 takes place in Boston so it's not too unreasonable that political struggles on the other side of the country wouldn't be known about.

There are several things New Vegas introduced, eg specific consumables, perks and skill magazines, that aren't in Fallout 4 even though the game introduces other things which have the exact same effects. The lack of New Vegas references in Fallout 4, which is packed full of references to every other game in the series, is because none of the developers played it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vakal posted:

So basically Waterworld...but good.

That's just called Waterworld, stupid.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

I have long piano fingers yo.

Um I'm pretty sure unless you're over 60 it's illegal to use that term.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Um I'm pretty sure unless you're over 60 it's illegal to use that term.

I played the piano as a young kid and then moved to Tenor Sax :colbert:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Isn’t Bethesda super salty that everyone loves New Vegas instead of the three turds they dropped?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well no

Their games got eay more sales than new vegas also they make money on new vegas

You buffon, cretin

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They half-assed the QC on New Vegas, including outright not implementing changes that Obsidian playtesters made, just enough so the score was low enough that they don't have to pay Obsidian royalties.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They half-assed the QC on New Vegas, including outright not implementing changes that Obsidian playtesters made, just enough so the score was low enough that they don't have to pay Obsidian royalties.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by Bethesda QA.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I bet The Outer Worlds will have more New Vegas callbacks in it than Fallout 4

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't it be Bethesda's QA who playtests the game and Obsidian, the developer, who implements changes and fixes bugs? Like why would the publisher AND the developer both be developing the game?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Everybody knows Megaman 8 has really terrible voice acting, but it doesn't get enough poo poo for the almost impossible to beat snowboard sections.

If you've never played, you're on a snowboard that speeds up as you move through the segment, and these little signs pop up and tell you when to slide or to jump. Except the problem is, if you move from a specific part exactly in the middle of the screen (like to dodge an enemy) the timing is all off and you'll jump too early or too late or slide right into some spikes. Even if you're exactly where you need to be, the timing will gently caress you over more often than not.

I've beaten every classic Megaman game but have never been able to beat the snowboard segment in Wily's Fortress in 8. I never will.

megaman 8 is the worst numbered megaman game in the main series. i remember just turning the game off back in 1997 once i heard clown man's voice and thinking "wow, video games are a stupid hobby, maybe I should do something else with my life." If only I had listened.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Rutibex posted:

I bet The Outer Worlds will have more New Vegas callbacks in it than Fallout 4

Somehow, this is the first I’m hearing about this. Exciting!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

megaman 8 is the worst numbered megaman game in the main series. i remember just turning the game off back in 1997 once i heard clown man's voice and thinking "wow, video games are a stupid hobby, maybe I should do something else with my life." If only I had listened.

I got fooled as a kid because I thought the graphics were cool and detailed and there were ANIME CUTSCENES.

I replayed it in the mid 2000s on that Legacy collection and hated it - the control sucked compared to the earlier games, the sprites were so big that any platforming challenges were super simple, and the bosses weren't anything memorable.

Replayed it again on the Switch in the collection w/ 7, 9, and 10. It's still bad and has aged so much worse than 7. And both of those games are way worse than Megaman X, despite that thing coming out a few years earlier.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

I got fooled as a kid because I thought the graphics were cool and detailed and there were ANIME CUTSCENES.

I replayed it in the mid 2000s on that Legacy collection and hated it - the control sucked compared to the earlier games, the sprites were so big that any platforming challenges were super simple, and the bosses weren't anything memorable.

Replayed it again on the Switch in the collection w/ 7, 9, and 10. It's still bad and has aged so much worse than 7. And both of those games are way worse than Megaman X, despite that thing coming out a few years earlier.

I remember Mega Man & Bass being better than 8, and making 8 doubly confusing since they re-use 2 bosses (Tengu Man and Astro Man)

But yeah they were not great.

Also, I feel like popular opinion is that the X series didn't start going downhill until X5, but I remember being hugely disappointed with X4 too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought popular opinion was its a pretty linear decline in quality form X1 to X6 with X7 being as bad as X6 but for entirely different reasons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

nah X4 is generally regarded pretty highly especially compared to X3

X5 is really a shame because they had a bunch of cool ideas and a slightly branching plot and stuff but most of it is bugged to poo poo. there’s a fully coded fight against zero at level 99 that is literally impossible to access because by the time your rank is high enough to fight him at 99 the game is over.

one really cool thing X5 does, though, is the second to last fight against X or Zero - ive only done it as zero but all of X’s moves are weapons he got in X4

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

X4 just leaned too heavy into "we can do voices and cutscenes now!" but the voices were all brutally bad and low-quality, the cutscenes were even worse, and some of the bosses were next-to-impossible without the right weapon. Exploiting a boss's weakness is important but IMO it should be balanced to where you at least have a fighting chance with your base weapons. X5 was bad for the above reasons and IIRC X6 leaned even more into the stuff that made X5 bad.

I've never really heard the linear quality drop thing, X2 and X3 were fantastic IMO. The only thing that wasn't top-notch was maybe the collectible-but-useless Ride Armors?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

2house2fly posted:

Wouldn't it be Bethesda's QA who playtests the game and Obsidian, the developer, who implements changes and fixes bugs? Like why would the publisher AND the developer both be developing the game?

Bethesda did all the bad parts because they're doo doo heads.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't think this could possibly be unpopular but the dualshock is the de facto perfect videogame controller, the face buttons, the triggers the dpad the analogue sticks. You couldn't make a better device.

The gamecube and n64 controllers were cool for how novel they were.

Xbone is much better if you have larger hands. It does have a lovely d-pad that wears out over time though

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

X4 just leaned too heavy into "we can do voices and cutscenes now!" but the voices were all brutally bad and low-quality, the cutscenes were even worse, and some of the bosses were next-to-impossible without the right weapon.

the voices were melty poo poo garbage other than zero's* and like one or two of the mavericks, sure, but uh i've definitely done buster- and saber- only runs on the bosses. the only two that are even kind of difficult are jet stingray and magma dragoon, in stingray's case x's weapon against him is hard to land shots with anyway IIRC and in magma dragoon's case you can just ride some armor into the fight and punch off half his health before you're even vulnerable

i will say i loved the VA in the scene where double double-crosses the hunters (WHOA GUYS IT WAS IN HIS NAME ALL ALONG) and just fuckin' slices a bunch of dudes in half spewing Robot Blood all over, and then x calls in for a status check and has this ridiculously high bubbly cheery voice while double is grinning like a psycho in the chaos

*the infamous "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR" scene is pretty clearly zero's va trying vainly to match the animation

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

the voices were melty poo poo garbage other than zero's* and like one or two of the mavericks, sure, but uh i've definitely done buster- and saber- only runs on the bosses. the only two that are even kind of difficult are jet stingray and magma dragoon, in stingray's case x's weapon against him is hard to land shots with anyway IIRC and in magma dragoon's case you can just ride some armor into the fight and punch off half his health before you're even vulnerable

i will say i loved the VA in the scene where double double-crosses the hunters (WHOA GUYS IT WAS IN HIS NAME ALL ALONG) and just fuckin' slices a bunch of dudes in half spewing Robot Blood all over, and then x calls in for a status check and has this ridiculously high bubbly cheery voice while double is grinning like a psycho in the chaos

*the infamous "WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR" scene is pretty clearly zero's va trying vainly to match the animation

I remember having a ton of difficulty with a few of them. The one that sticks out in my mind is Storm owl, but I think that might have been me trying to use the 2nd platform that you can't reach to dodge his attacks somehow? I dunno I haven't played through X4 since it first came out, TBH.

e: the cutscene where Zero's girlfriend dies is one of the most hilariously overacted scenes in any cartoon or video game I've ever seen

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Borderlands 3 is going to be ruined by greed and nobody will listen when I say it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Resting Lich Face posted:

Borderlands 3 is going to be ruined by greed and nobody will listen when I say it.

I just assume that's standard for most AAA products now.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'm pretty sure every Borderlands fan has been worried about that since 2k told their investors that every product they publish would have microtransactions.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

borderlands 2 was mediocre as hell and gearbox has published vastly more mediocre-to-bad games than good games

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

food court bailiff posted:

borderlands 2 was mediocre as hell

Unpopular opinion indeed. Well it's in the right place!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you want a picture of the borderlands franchise, imagine a bad idea stamping on a good idea- forever

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

poverty goat posted:

If you want a picture of the borderlands franchise, imagine a bad idea stamping on a good idea- forever

then a wacky character will say something SUPER FUNNY about it!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Borderlands was probably the most bored I ever was playing an FPS and I spent maybe 5 minutes on BL2. RNG guns and bullet sponge enemies killed any interest I had; I guess the Telltale game was pretty alright since I just had to deal with a TT game and not the lovely rear end shooter gameplay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Borderlands was probably the most bored I ever was playing an FPS

That's because it's not an FPS. It's an adventure game with an FPS combat system.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mercenaries 2 was a good game.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's because it's not an FPS. It's an adventure game with an FPS combat system.

then it's the most bored I've ever been playing an adventure game AND an FPS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mercenaries 2 was a good game.

Mercs and Mercs 2 were awesome

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

A Fancy Hat posted:

Everybody knows Megaman 8 has really terrible voice acting, but it doesn't get enough poo poo for the almost impossible to beat snowboard sections.

If you've never played, you're on a snowboard that speeds up as you move through the segment, and these little signs pop up and tell you when to slide or to jump. Except the problem is, if you move from a specific part exactly in the middle of the screen (like to dodge an enemy) the timing is all off and you'll jump too early or too late or slide right into some spikes. Even if you're exactly where you need to be, the timing will gently caress you over more often than not.

I've beaten every classic Megaman game but have never been able to beat the snowboard segment in Wily's Fortress in 8. I never will.

i hated those along with the speederbike levels from the ps1 X games. actually i hate any autoscrolling screen level in general. that poo poo was the scourge of my early gaming years.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The best way to describe BL2 was that it was a good game despite doing literally everything in it's power to try and make it a bad one.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The best way to describe BL2 was that it was a good game despite doing literally everything in it's power to try and make it a bad one.

Exactly. And they will never recapture that magic.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nothing wrong with bullet sponge enemies, I'd rather have that than counterstrike glass cannon bullshit.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

MrQwerty posted:

bullet sponge enemies killed any interest I had;

Your build was poo poo get good scrub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nothing wrong with bullet sponge enemies, I'd rather have that than counterstrike glass cannon bullshit.

I dunno man, I'm playing the Enhanced version of the first one, and it's nice fighting end game enemies and Mini bosses/Badasses that don't take 5 minutes of non-stop criticals and specific weapon elements to kill.