Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
loving drug tests are really starting to get on my tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

tactlessbastard posted:

loving drug tests are really starting to get on my tits.

If that's what's happening, I think one of us has a very incorrect understanding of how drug tests work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One of our IT managers (not my direct supervisor, but parallel to my direct supervisor) just put in his two weeks. He's fantastic. So is my boss. I'm nervous they aren't going to backfill, or (worse) backfill with a yes-man to please the C-levels.

Ideally, they'll grab someone internal (we have some senior engineers who would be good) and backfill their positions, then just hire a new desktop person (there are people who are eminently promotable at each level).

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Partycat posted:

What are you talking about ?

You said ISDN PRI, which isn't SIP it is TDM . Maybe I don't understand what a "NTU" is in this context?

We were talking about voice faults. Specifically one way speech.
The example in my post was isdn but it happens for sip more.

Partycat posted:

I don’t see how they could have one way voice but still have the circuit up and running.

Was responding to this.
Obviously the circuit needs to be up to have one way speech, on any platform. One way speech is when, for example you make a call, you sit there saying helloooooo and while the other end can hear you, you cant hear them.

Partycat posted:

Maybe I don't understand what a "NTU" is in this context?

The device at site that terminates the service. Its pretty interchangeable. NTU/NTD/CPE, the last usually belongs to the end client though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If that's what's happening, I think one of us has a very incorrect understanding of how drug tests work.

Maybe TB was at the sperm bank by mistake :shrug:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I got a notice that a few certs are due to expire soon. This isn't surprising, I have a calendar notification about them and I'm due to replace them next week. However, my boss's boss also gets the emails, and even worse, reads them, and wants me to change one of them.

He doesn't like that the cert for our Aruba controller is named aruba-master.companyname.com, and wants it changed to be "friendlier." We might have guest wifi soon, and he apparently thinks people
A.) read the URL up top
B.) care

No one cares. In the 2 years since this has been running, not once has someone said anything.

The thing is, Aruba controllers rely on there being a server called aruba-master.whatever.com. Its how the APs know where to go to get provisioned and send traffic.

I think this is possible with a SAN cert and adding a few extra names, then making some DNS entries, but I'm not sure any of it will matter, since the Aruba Controller and Clearpass have a very weird setup and probably won't like names being changed. Knowing what I do about clearpass, I can be assured it will not be happy.

Also, this was just after getting a talk about how we need to focus on important projects and not getting distracted by other things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CitizenKain posted:

I got a notice that a few certs are due to expire soon. This isn't surprising, I have a calendar notification about them and I'm due to replace them next week. However, my boss's boss also gets the emails, and even worse, reads them, and wants me to change one of them.

He doesn't like that the cert for our Aruba controller is named aruba-master.companyname.com, and wants it changed to be "friendlier." We might have guest wifi soon, and he apparently thinks people
A.) read the URL up top
B.) care

No one cares. In the 2 years since this has been running, not once has someone said anything.

The thing is, Aruba controllers rely on there being a server called aruba-master.whatever.com. Its how the APs know where to go to get provisioned and send traffic.

I think this is possible with a SAN cert and adding a few extra names, then making some DNS entries, but I'm not sure any of it will matter, since the Aruba Controller and Clearpass have a very weird setup and probably won't like names being changed. Knowing what I do about clearpass, I can be assured it will not be happy.

Also, this was just after getting a talk about how we need to focus on important projects and not getting distracted by other things.

Can't you just make a "friendlier" URL that redirects to the proper one?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wolrah posted:

IPv6 as most of us know it has been around since the late '90s and I recall people talking about how NAT was a temporary thing and IPv6 would be everywhere in the near future starting in the early '00s when all the major OSes gained support for it.

We could get rid of NAT and just give all the systems with mass spectrometers or gas chromatographs plugged into them publicly routable IPv6 addresses. I guessssss.

IPv6 is for cattle.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CitizenKain posted:

A.) read the URL up top
B.) care

Just tell him it’s not possible and hopefully avoid any future discussion on this topic

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I know we run Clearpass and have guest connectivity . I’m pretty sure we don’t have anything named Aruba-master in public DNS - I feel like we use a DHCP option to boot the APs.

That being said if your infrastructure is built on certs and DNS, then yeah changing it ~because~ may as well be a partial infrastructure rebuild.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Yes, but is the cert available in cornflower blue?

This is important

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"I'll look right into that!"

Then never do a thing

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Recently found out that my previous position got filled by an admin assistant who has moved between 4 different positions in under a year. She's clueless as hell: "Oh, did I schedule you for a meeting with Big Boss when you weren't available? Oops, guess I forgot to check your calendar first! Teehee! I'll reschedule." [Narrator: She never rescheduled.]

I'm also told that my previous boss is basically avoiding any work she doesn't want to do, saying "I'm overcapacity due to Macaroni leaving, can't help you." I'm eager to hear how helpful the new person will be and if the old boss will lose that excuse, or if it will just turn into "I'm training Newbie, don't have capacity to assist you."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Helped a user get setup for a new vendor's website and quoting software. She was having a hell of a time getting a password set. And I see why:

Those are some terrible password rules.

I like how it says you must include a special character, but then excludes many of them from being used, and also the bit about dashes... Bonus: The website mentions Oracle EBS. Looks like its built on top of that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Any time I see a special character restriction, it's almost a 100% guarantee that site is vulnerable to SQL injection attacks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Any time I see a special character restriction, it's almost a 100% guarantee that site is vulnerable to SQL injection attacks.

That was my thoughts as well.

They are probably stored in plain text too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The dash restriction is a new one to me though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ratbert90 posted:

Yes. They’re not escaping the fields.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

stevewm posted:

Helped a user get setup for a new vendor's website and quoting software. She was having a hell of a time getting a password set. And I see why:

Those are some terrible password rules.

I like how it says you must include a special character, but then excludes many of them from being used, and also the bit about dashes... Bonus: The website mentions Oracle EBS. Looks like its built on top of that.

For the amount of effort required to write those rules and filter/check passwords coming in, you could just escape the input correctly.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
My coworker just quit w/o notice. My last day is Friday. Our largest (by far) client lost most of their internal IT and will use us as help desk until they can get someone hired, and is also requesting a tech be on-site 3 days a week (4 hour drive, so they'll have to stay in a hotel).

We had four techs yesterday. Next week will be two.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Actuarial Fables posted:

My coworker just quit w/o notice. My last day is Friday. Our largest (by far) client lost most of their internal IT and will use us as help desk until they can get someone hired, and is also requesting a tech be on-site 3 days a week (4 hour drive, so they'll have to stay in a hotel).

We had four techs yesterday. Next week will be two.

Sounds like you’ll have some entertaining updates next week.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

duffmensch posted:

Sounds like you’ll have some entertaining updates next week.
You missed an important bit from his post

Actuarial Fables posted:

My coworker just quit w/o notice. My last day is Friday.

An update if you stay in contact might be fun, depending on how disastrous it gets.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

pixaal posted:

An update if you stay in contact might be fun, depending on how disastrous it gets.

We'll see how quickly they deactivate my accounts - last time someone left they weren't removed from MS Teams until they started chatting in it a few weeks later.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

pixaal posted:

You missed an important bit from his post

I was assuming that he had someone to keep him updated after he’s gone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Partycat posted:

I know we run Clearpass and have guest connectivity . I’m pretty sure we don’t have anything named Aruba-master in public DNS - I feel like we use a DHCP option to boot the APs.

That being said if your infrastructure is built on certs and DNS, then yeah changing it ~because~ may as well be a partial infrastructure rebuild.

Its the hostname on the controller, probably if our system hadn't been setup by a previous boss who was a lunatic then I'm sure it would be different. There are a lot of things he did that defy reason.

The AP's get their initial information from dhcp, then they look for the aruba-master name in dhcp to find the controller. That should all be in the backend.

I think it has already been forgotten, as no one mentioned it further today, and I had more stuff dropped on me. So, I might just get the regular cert, stick some extra names in the SAN and move on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have a Palestinian user here, nice guy. I've helped him a bunch so he skips the service desk and just calls me now directly. I go there this morning, he had locked himself out of his account. Tried to change the input language to Arabic to write something and managed to change the whole system language, so when he tried to sign in it was entering Arabic characters. What a mess trying to get that straightened out. Well, unlocking his account was easy enough but when he was signed in, everything was Arabic even though what I could make sense of seemed to indicate it should be in English.

Strangest of all, he somehow managed to flip the desktop in a way I've never seen or known was possible. Start button was on the right, and the tray on the left...but the time was displayed as AM45:9 for example. Backwards. The screen wasn't flipped, mouse worked as it should. But I dunno how the gently caress he did that. Seemed to revert once we got the language changed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

codo27 posted:

We have a Palestinian user here, nice guy. I've helped him a bunch so he skips the service desk and just calls me now directly. I go there this morning, he had locked himself out of his account. Tried to change the input language to Arabic to write something and managed to change the whole system language, so when he tried to sign in it was entering Arabic characters. What a mess trying to get that straightened out. Well, unlocking his account was easy enough but when he was signed in, everything was Arabic even though what I could make sense of seemed to indicate it should be in English.

Strangest of all, he somehow managed to flip the desktop in a way I've never seen or known was possible. Start button was on the right, and the tray on the left...but the time was displayed as AM45:9 for example. Backwards. The screen wasn't flipped, mouse worked as it should. But I dunno how the gently caress he did that. Seemed to revert once we got the language changed.

The whole interface flips around when you set the system language to one that reads right-to-left. Set it to Hebrew, for example, and the same thing happens.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Weedle posted:

The whole interface flips around when you set the system language to one that reads right-to-left. Set it to Hebrew, for example, and the same thing happens.

Yeah, it was this. Still crazy as hell the first time you see it though.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

codo27 posted:

I've helped him a bunch so he skips the service desk and just calls me now directly.

This is/can be a very bad thing, be careful.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Absolutely zero users get to contact me directly instead of going through helpdesk. No matter how small or big the issue is, I will redirect them to helpdesk twice, and the third time I block them in Skype and Outlook. I have had multiple coworkers in all my jobs go on sick leave because users demand poo poo from them directly instead of going through the proper channels, and management either doesn't know about it or isn't willing to push back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Skype doesn't autoload on my laptop, so whenever I reboot everything feels so much less stressful until I remember, 'oh yeah, no one's blowing up my Skype.' And then I have to log into Skype.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

stevewm posted:

That was my thoughts as well.

They are probably stored in plain text too.

I wonder if you could put the entire EICAR test virus in as your password and try to get their management-mandated av to pick up the plaintext password list as a virus and delete it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sfwarlock posted:

I wonder if you could put the entire EICAR test virus in as your password and try to get their management-mandated av to pick up the plaintext password list as a virus and delete it.

That is one thing I have never even thought about someone attempting to inject. You know their solution would be to white list that file in AV and restore from backup.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
A poo poo that does not piss me off: I got accolades and a bonus for a huge project we completed. As much as I hate the dysfunction at this company, they've been really good at rewarding hard work.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
ordered 2 new monitors for my cubical and they were delivered to the new building that was under construction, i ended up getting classified as a virtual employee because i started coming into the once a month. I had put in a request to take the monitors home since I no longer have a cubical, just found out today after coming into the new building for the first time that they have lost my monitors.

They did offer me 2 24 inch 1080p monitors, i said no as the ones i have ordered were 600 each (27 inch 1440p monitors) and the asset tags are linked to me. im going to be mega pissed if they are unable to recover them.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off... being on a conference call where someone was poorly explaining what a GPO setting does to someone that wasn't understanding and they wouldn't stop talking over me when I tried to clarify things.

I was on mute :v:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

RoboBoogie posted:

ordered 2 new monitors for my cubical and they were delivered to the new building that was under construction, i ended up getting classified as a virtual employee because i started coming into the once a month. I had put in a request to take the monitors home since I no longer have a cubical, just found out today after coming into the new building for the first time that they have lost my monitors.

They did offer me 2 24 inch 1080p monitors, i said no as the ones i have ordered were 600 each (27 inch 1440p monitors) and the asset tags are linked to me. im going to be mega pissed if they are unable to recover them.

"Nope", your boss says, barely visible behind the two giant monitors on his desk, "no idea what happened to them."

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Say it with me everyone, I Love The Cloud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slack just took a poo poo for about 10 minutes about an hour ago. Bad day for cloud people!