Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

better hope that Mustang doesn't have the automatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ford must be hurting to sell trucks. I just got a 4K private cash offer in the mail from them. 4K off in addition to all other publicly available discounts and rebates. I've gotten private cash offers in the past before for 500 or 750 bucks, but never 4K. The 4K is only good on 2018/2019 F-150 trucks (excludes Raptor of course), and good for 750 off anything else that isn't a special type car (Focus RS, GT350, etc). You can pretty much always find an F-150 XLT "chrome and tow" for 13,500 off around here, another 4K off is a hell of a deal.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

People might be realizing that while driving a truck is cool and fun, it's also pretty poo poo and annoying.

I like my truck, but I'll likely be driving a compact car a year from now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was shopping for an F-150 but I just really enjoy my sedan more. I don't really need the utility of a truck, and didn't really care for the way they drove so I finally put that idea to bed.

I was at the point where I needed to either decide to keep my SHO or get rid of it now, and I'm going to keep it. I still really like the car, and I just don't like the trucks I drove. I've driven fast sedans most of my life, and I'll probably keep doing so.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be fair, sedans are becoming less of an option. Sedan buyers inexplicably went to trucks and trucks got crazy expensive because like 90% of truck buyers don't actually want a truck, they want a sedan that looks like a truck.

The US vehicle market just seems all kinds of hosed up right now. Like, wagons morphed into SUVs which are now just clearly morphing back into wagons again. Nothing really wrong with sedans going away, though. Coupes will always look better and wagons or hatches will always be more practical. They don't really serve any purpose other than being a weird default.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

One area sedans beat hatches/CUVs is cabin acoustics, I get why sedans remain popular for luxury cars

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It drives (no pun intended) me nuts that the handful of vehicles I'm interested in buying are so low volume that trying to get to test drive or deal on one is an exercise in frustration meanwhile I see stories like this.

https://jalopnik.com/unsold-new-cars-are-overflowing-into-empty-shopping-cen-1834377349

I'm starting to not buy the whole "everyone wants trucks, suvs, and cuvs" thing because clearly there's a supply side issue going on right now.

My local mall has a sizable section of parking lot taken up by unsold Jeeps. The Ford and Subaru dealerships have them parked at an abandoned theater that's in a flood plain. Hundreds of vehicles.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 29, 2019

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It drives (no pun intended) me nuts that the handful of vehicles I'm interested in buying are so low volume that trying to get to test drive or deal on one is an exercise in frustration meanwhile I see stories like this.

https://jalopnik.com/unsold-new-cars-are-overflowing-into-empty-shopping-cen-1834377349

I'm starting to not buy the whole "everyone wants trucks, suvs, and cuvs" thing because clearly there's a supply side issue going on right now.

I think I made a post to this effect a few days ago, but everything with the vehicle market right now is an artifact of the way that dealerships purchase vehicles.

I was recently in the market for a 5-6 year old F30 with a 6MT. I know two people who work in two separate BMW dealerships not too far from me, and I got the same story from both of them: neither dealership really likes having new MT cars on the lot because they sit for too long, but used cars with MTs? Gone so fast that neither one of them was even willing to give me a heads up when they had one on the lot. Dealerships want to stock the least offensively optioned vehicles possible so that they move, and it's creating a huge glut of cars that most people maybe kind of sort of want and basically nothing else.

Also probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're clearly at or past the peak of the current credit cycle.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Wheeee posted:

People might be realizing that while driving a truck is cool and fun, it's also pretty poo poo and annoying.

I like my truck, but I'll likely be driving a compact car a year from now.
Trucks are best served as a second/third vehicle, not as a primary. I've found that out the hard way myself. I enjoy driving it, but even when streets are big enough its still a ponderous thing to drive.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You either have the money to get exactly what you want or you can settle for 85% of it in white/silver/black. It mirrors the death of the middle class and the market only really catering to one of the two groups left.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just because you got something in the mail does not mean trends are changing. Absolutely nobody is buying small cars, everyone is buying trucks. Ford is having no trouble selling trucks. This trend has done nothing but accelerate for like 5 years. The truck is now the primary car, the secondary car, the backup secondary car, and what every kid is learning to drive in.

for Jan-Mar:

quote:

Ford’s reported a 1.6% first-quarter drop in sales with passenger car sales down 23.7% in the quarter, while truck sales rose by 4.1% and sport utility vehicle sales rose 5%. The average selling price for the company’s F-150 pickups was $47,454.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The sad thing is that the cheapest basest econoboxes are finally decent cars, for the first time in history. The Mazda-built Toyota Yaris is excellent and I legitimately like the 2017+ Kia Rio. But nobody's buying either.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-08/new-pickups-come-with-bare-bones-interiors-at-sports-car-prices

quote:

The cheapest version of Ford’s market-leading F-150 starts at around $28,000, though one in 10 F-150 buyers spent more than $60,000
Pickups remain the most profitable niche of the auto industry—up to $10,000 per vehicle.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Just loving lol at spending that much on a truck

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Just loving lol at spending that much on a truck

*buys 60k f150*

*wrings hands at the idea of getting it dirty*

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
dear god people stop spending like 80k on an F150

It can't be worth it; gently caress

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Most trucks (including kitted out $80k F-150s) are still total poo poo in comparison to much, much cheaper cars. There's nothing wrong with trucks if you need one for specific reasons, but it's hilarious that the average American car buyer decided to gravitate towards like one of two options that's legitimately less practical for day-to-day use than a sedan.

As a people, we are not bright.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LMFAO

It seems even Ford wasn't ready for this moment.

https://shop.ford.ca/build/superduty/#/select/Config%5B%7CFord%7CSuperDuty%7C2019%7C1%7C1.%7C670A.W4C.176....450.CBC.CEC.YZKAA.DRW.XLL.%5D

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gotta get the offroad package so people know you mean business in your 100k truck:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
guys, taxes are killing me loving lieberals :argh:

*spent $1400/mo leasing an F-150*

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Broke: spending extra money for decal packages from your manufacturer.
Woke: putting cheap aftermarket Porsche decals on non-German cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Broke: spending extra money for decal packages from your manufacturer.
Woke: putting cheap aftermarket Porsche decals on non-German cars.

broke: we added a bunch of extra stuff so it costs more money
woke: we took at that stuff out, so it costs even more

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It's pretty mind-boggling that the response to the late-aughts 4-5$/g gas crisis was to accelerate into climate change oblivion with gigantic, gas-guzzling, 50k$ pickups.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

It's pretty mind-boggling that the response to the late-aughts 4-5$/g gas crisis was to accelerate into climate change oblivion with gigantic, gas-guzzling, 50k$ pickups.

Gas is forever cheap again though. The great recession is over and we learned our lesson, so I'm basically obligated to over leverage myself with an $80k pickup when I'm already spending 60% of my stagnant income on inflated housing costs!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Gas is already back over $4 in CA! :ca:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

LeeMajors posted:

Boomers are collectively the dumbest, most entitled assholes to ever exist on this planet. It’s literally FYGM taken to the logical extreme, and as long as they can have what they want they literally don’t care about the consequences because they’ll all be dead in 20 years while the rest of us are left holding the bag. They’re a goddamn death cult that brought us Regan and Trump, and the sooner they are all worm food the better off we’ll all be.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I lived in one of the rustiest of rust belt cities in OH and seeing 60K Raptors and brand new lifted F-250s parked in trailer parks just became routine after a while. I’ll never understand it but the Keeping Up With The Jones’s syndrome is so loving strong when it came to pick ups

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Huge_Midget posted:

Boomers are collectively the dumbest, most entitled assholes to ever exist on this planet. It’s literally FYGM taken to the logical extreme, and as long as they can have what they want they literally don’t care about the consequences because they’ll all be dead in 20 years while the rest of us are left holding the bag. They’re a goddamn death cult that brought us Regan and Trump, and the sooner they are all worm food the better off we’ll all be.

I work in public service. Every mid-20s firefighter has a lifted truck. Many are diesel. Few actually do any side work or towing.

While I won't argue about Reagan and Trump and fuckyougotmine-ism, the rot is deeper than the Boomers. The future is bleak, my friend.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

LeeMajors posted:

I work in public service. Every mid-20s firefighter has a lifted truck. Many are diesel. Few actually do any side work or towing.

While I won't argue about Reagan and Trump and fuckyougotmine-ism, the rot is deeper than the Boomers. The future is bleak, my friend.

My neighbor has a family of 8. Do they have a sensible minivan? Hell naw. Lifted Diesel Excursion Limited on 35" tires. That's the family car. They have a Jeep Renegade and a Prius Prime as their other cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

These people sincerely believe that the world is going to end anyways because God wants it to so why fight it? They also believe that God will let them into heaven after they've thoroughly hosed up the firstsecond place they were given for free.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

skipdogg posted:

My neighbor has a family of 8. Do they have a sensible minivan? Hell naw. Lifted Diesel Excursion Limited on 35" tires. That's the family car. They have a Jeep Renegade and a Prius Prime as their other cars.

So they normally commute in the Prius Prime, and only take the Excursion when they absolutely need everyone and need a lot of cargo right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

That's like 160 vehicle miles per person per gallon.

If you only have 4 people in your 30mpg car, that's only 120 miles per person per gallon.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The real question is why these people have 6 children.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Something Offal posted:

In the US it's probably a religious thing. Quiverfull, Mormon, etc...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Something Offal posted:

It's a miracle, the father got a vasectomy 3 kids ago!

For some reason, the kids keep coming out looking like skipdogg though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
skipdogg himself has like 4 kids already so thats pretty plausible.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

The diesel excursion should be cheaper to operate than the V10 gasser right? I also knew a family of 9 that put 300k miles on an excursion.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Maybe we need a progressive carbon tax for vehicles so yeah you can get a mid-size SUV if you have two kids but by the time you have 6 you've all got to ride bikes everywhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The diesel excursion should be cheaper to operate than the V10 gasser right? I also knew a family of 9 that put 300k miles on an excursion.

Not if it's a 6 liter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So they normally commute in the Prius Prime, and only take the Excursion when they absolutely need everyone and need a lot of cargo right?

For the most part. The Jeep is the wife's toy car, and they generally take the Prius unless the whole family is going. The guy is actually pretty green, he put 12 kW of Solar on his roof last summer too.

Throatwarbler posted:

skipdogg himself has like 4 kids already so thats pretty plausible.

Ha, I stopped at 2. Kids are expensive.

fknlo posted:

In the US it's probably a religious thing. Quiverfull, Mormon, etc...

Yeah, they're religious, but they admit the last 2 were unexpected and unplanned. They intended to stop at 4. My other neighbor has 5 kids.

The vehicle actually makes sense for them, I was just ribbing on them. They have another house out in the country outside Yellowstone where they get a lot of snow and the vehicle is actually a pretty good match for their needs.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 30, 2019