Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flakeloaf posted:

i figured "corporations trying to buy laws is acceptable corporation behaviour

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

good news, though: Netflix found the tobacco playbook and funded a study that let them pat themselves on the back

what a fun study

quote:

While there were graphic and intense scenes in the show, teens and young
adult viewers were generally not opposed to the way the show dealt with
these tough topics. Many adolescents and young adults felt that the intensity of the show
was appropriate for them (67%) and the graphic nature of Hannah’s suicide was necessary to
show how painful suicide is (67%).

also they keep bringing up that they had a ~very special episode~ or w/e that provided resources to troubled teens, except:

quote:

Beyond the Reasons was a good start… but further support and resources are
requested. Many youth and parents did not watch the Beyond the Reasons episode at the end
of the 13 Reasons Why series.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

El_Elegante posted:

well we can’t run an a/b test so I guess we’ll never know if this show glamorizing suicide caused a spike in suicides despite the warnings of mental health professionals

it certainly didn't help but we knew this already; knowing whether the people had actually seen the show would be a pretty compelling way to underline what a lot of credentialed experts (who are probably smarter than me and have definitely forgotten more about this topic than i'll ever know) had been saying since before it was aired or netflixed or whatever we say

netflix of course won't volunteer this information but the families might have wanted to

13 seconds of googling got me anecdata from lots of places not called the USA that saw similar data, and also turned up the opinions of mental health professionals who agree that "a tv show about suicide and counselors who can't help because they're useless" might encourage young people who already have a suicidal ideation to sink further into depression and act on it

quote:

The results are plausible and add to evidence that compelling media depictions of suicide can negatively influence young people, said sociologist Anna Mueller of the University of Chicago, who was not involved in the research.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

well we can’t run an a/b test so I guess we’ll never know if this show glamorizing suicide caused a spike in suicides despite the warnings of mental health professionals

a controlled study could be done, it just sounds profoundly unethical

also as far as other confounding factors, there is the fact that when facebook manipulated emotions, they did establish that it had a measurable effect, so the idea that netflix programming had a noticeable effect is a reasonable (though unproven) conclusion. although not a particularly comforting one

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fishmech posted:

that really is a shithouse explanation for the suicides going up when you consider the studied time period included things like major ongoing nuclear war scares and all sorts of other hosed up trump administration things

the article doesn't say anything about suicide attempt rates either which it seems they would have mentioned if those were up significantly too?

the abstract mentions a few things the AP article does not, including one counterintuitive observation about the effects of a tv show about a girl committing suicide:

quote:

After accounting for seasonal effects and an underlying increasing trend in monthly suicide rates, the overall suicide rate among 10- to 17-year-olds increased significantly in the month immediately following the release of 13 Reasons Why (incidence rate ratio [IRR], 1.29; 95% CI, 1.09-1.53); Holt-Winters forecasting revealed elevated observed suicide rates in the month after release and in two subsequent months, relative to corresponding forecasted rates. Contrary to expectations, these associations were restricted to boys. Among 18- to 29-year-olds and 30- to 64-year-olds, we found no significant change in level or trend of suicide after the show’s release, both overall and by sex. The show’s release had no impact in the control analyses of homicide deaths within any age group.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

67% of people were fine with this.

the other 33%? don't worry about them, statistically it's fine.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fishmech posted:

filthy European countries

:chloe:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

the abstract mentions a few things the AP article does not, including one counterintuitive observation about the effects of a tv show about a girl committing suicide:

i could buy that, maybe girls were empowered by the show to talk about poo poo whereas boys just got to stew about it harder because boys talking about emotions (especially to parents) is still real repressed by society cuz it totally means your gay or a soy boy or w/e the kids say these days

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oh no the manxlord is upset about describing the shameful copyright situation in his continental union huh

flakeloaf posted:

thats super weird

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Broken Machine posted:

a controlled study could be done, it just sounds profoundly unethical

somewhere, mark zuckerberg has the weirdest erection, and he doesn't know why

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fishmech posted:

i only went to disneyworld once back in 2006, and a ton of the epcot stuff was things like "AT&T PRESENTS: EMAIL!! YOU CAN SEND A FREE EMAIL USING OUR PCS AT EPCOT!!!" and half the kiosks were broken.

but that sort of poo poo is inherently useful historical stuff so it was much cooler than if they'd had a booth showing how to play flash games or whatever would be appropriate for the time

the last part of the carousel of progress in magic kingdom, “Christmas in the year 2000” is a pitch perfect prediction of the hellworld of technology that is 2019

it even features a malfunctioning voice activated oven

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

the last part of the carousel of progress in magic kingdom, “Christmas in the year 2000” is a pitch perfect prediction of the hellworld of technology that is 2019

it even features a malfunctioning voice activated oven

it also crushed a woman to death once which is pretty accurate

e: wait i forgot that was america sings which was basically the same format in the same theater but patriotism instead of futurism

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

i could buy that, maybe girls were empowered by the show to talk about poo poo whereas boys just got to stew about it harder because boys talking about emotions (especially to parents) is still real repressed by society cuz it totally means your gay or a soy boy or w/e the kids say these days

women tend to commit suicide via some method that you can recover from if found in time like a stomach full of pills whereas men tend to pick something harder to recover from like a bullet to the brain

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/WIRED/status/1123280938719481857

This seems like a very good idea.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, this is definitely going to be hilarious when their terrible privacy controls somehow leak this to the entire world

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

fishmech posted:

oh no the manxlord is upset about describing the shameful copyright situation in his continental union huh

thats super weird

What's weird is you keep saying racist poo poo like the above, and targeting people based on their nationality but haven't got a ban like BSD

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

was this not the original purpose of facebook? to creep on women?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

was this not the original purpose of facebook? to creep anonymously on women?

that was for zuck to creep, now they're offering creeping to all their users. creeping as a service

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

do you creep

do you creep like a zuck cause you suck

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jre posted:

What's weird is you keep saying racist poo poo like the above, and targeting people based on their nationality but haven't got a ban like BSD

You can't be racist against the Dutch

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

that was for zuck to creep, now they're offering creeping to all their users. creeping as a service

back when you had to have a .edu email to sign up, they had a function where you could put in your class schedule and see who else was in your class

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this will definitely be used in good faith by all parties involved

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

what exactly is the good faith version of "tag friends i want to gently caress"?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

what exactly is the good faith version of "tag friends i want to gently caress"?

confirmation in the belief that "female friends are women you just haven't had sex with yet" and subsequent removal from the internet

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rex-Goliath posted:

This will be an amazing thing to do when someone leaves their account logged in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

it only appearing if they tag you too, in which case its just like a dating app?

the spectacular ways that facebook will find to gently caress this up is the problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
tag all your friends so if any of them tag you back you can immediately unfriend them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

it only appearing if they tag you too, in which case its just like a dating app?

yeah in all seriousness it looks like you have to opt into this by signing up for facebook's already extant dating app, so it's a) avoidable and b) self-selecting for people you probably wouldn't want to date anyway

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

this is the same facebook that insists i want to regularly associate with my friends' high-school-aged children, and by extension, other current students of my former high school

:yikes:

motedek
Oct 9, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

i'd chalk it up to cherry-picking a subgroup that falls just on the right side of significant so that you can publish and get news coverage

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

heres a hot take: if you have a crush on your friends maybe you should fuckin talk to them. or is this a weird straight person hangup.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hi everyone, I have run out of all options. I really don't know what else I can do to get my money.

I have posted more info on Doordash Sub,

I started working for Doordash in late December 2018 I was getting paid every week until Doordash stopped paying me by end of February 2019, I continued delivering for them thinking there is some issues with payroll and they will fix it. It has been 8 weeks now that I haven't received anything from them. I have been calling them nonstop for the past two weeks and every single time I have to repeat myself because there are 700 reps work at the call center in Philippine. So far I have talked to over 200 different reps. They laugh in the background when they ask me "what is this in regard to?" It is possible that I have spoken to the same reps multiple times but they act dumb
Anyways I have talked to 4 supervisors so far and everytime I get the same response.

"We have escalated this and someone from Stripe will be in touch with you, anticipate a response asap" this has been going on for 2 weeks.

Doordash owes me $4700, I have all the records of payouts

I need your help San Francisco folks.

Can you tweet this to Tony doordash ceo or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Or if you have local office number that I can call and not get rerouted to Philippine call center

Thanks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ding dong got ditched

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol thank gently caress that didnt exist when i was in college

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Hi everyone, I have run out of all options. I really don't know what else I can do to get my money.

I have posted more info on Doordash Sub,

I started working for Doordash in late December 2018 I was getting paid every week until Doordash stopped paying me by end of February 2019, I continued delivering for them thinking there is some issues with payroll and they will fix it. It has been 8 weeks now that I haven't received anything from them. I have been calling them nonstop for the past two weeks and every single time I have to repeat myself because there are 700 reps work at the call center in Philippine. So far I have talked to over 200 different reps. They laugh in the background when they ask me "what is this in regard to?" It is possible that I have spoken to the same reps multiple times but they act dumb
Anyways I have talked to 4 supervisors so far and everytime I get the same response.

"We have escalated this and someone from Stripe will be in touch with you, anticipate a response asap" this has been going on for 2 weeks.

Doordash owes me $4700, I have all the records of payouts

I need your help San Francisco folks.

Can you tweet this to Tony doordash ceo or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Or if you have local office number that I can call and not get rerouted to Philippine call center

Thanks

i'm the idiot that keeps on working for 8 weeks without getting paid for some loving reason

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

aardvaard posted:

heres a hot take: if you have a crush on your friends maybe you should fuckin talk to them. or is this a weird straight person hangup.

turns out poo poo's a little more complicated when there's uneven social and power dynamics in play, thanks to our extremely sexist and hosed-up society

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fishmech posted:

You can't be racist against the Dutch

:hmmyes:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
one in six children will be abducted by the dutch

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

turns out poo poo's a little more complicated when there's uneven social and power dynamics in play, thanks to our extremely sexist and hosed-up society

oh right, men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
graffiti once observed by a friend in grand rapids: “it’s okay to hate the dutch”