Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A friend of mine used to work at McAfee in the late 80s / early 90s.

There were gun stories to be had there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We had a guy who was doing something, I think putting his jacket on his chair or something, and a gun fell out onto the floor. Luckily it didn't go off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

At a point I’m pretty sure it was unusual to work somewhere that didn’t have a few Winchesters lying around.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

rafikki posted:

We had a guy who was doing something, I think putting his jacket on his chair or something, and a gun fell out onto the floor. Luckily it didn't go off.

Any competently-made factory weapon won't discharge if dropped. Manufacturers test for that specifically.

I don't know if my workplace has a no-guns policy, and I don't think I care at this point. Not like it'll stop me from carrying if so.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Every work day in America is "bring your gun to work" day.
Nothing keeps that exchange server on its toes more than the knowledge the admin can make it meet its maker at any moment.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Any competently-made factory weapon won't discharge if dropped. Manufacturers test for that specifically.

I don't know if my workplace has a no-guns policy, and I don't think I care at this point. Not like it'll stop me from carrying if so.

Yeah but Taurus doesn't care about the results.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volguus posted:

Nothing keeps that exchange server on its toes more than the knowledge the admin can make it meet its maker at any moment.

The exchange server is like a call center employee. Death has no power over them, for they seek it's sweet embrace at all times.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

Unless you're working at the convention center hosting the NRA.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Exit Strategy posted:

We explicitly do NOT have a no-gun policy. Basically as long as you're abiding by local/federal laws and not creating an issue, you're fine.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
coming from not america this conversation is really disturbing, jfc

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Iron Rose posted:

As someone in the US who isn't a gun fetishist it's still disturbing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

I know a guy that bragged about shooting bottles out of the hands of homeless people using subsonic rounds in a .22 rifle.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

As someone in the US who isn't a gun fetishist it's still disturbing.

Are you using fetish in the older religious totem sense, or would this be a good time to rhetorically ask why non-gun people make it a sex thing as reliably as the creepiest gun people?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are you using fetish in the older religious totem sense, or would this be a good time to rhetorically ask why non-gun people make it a sex thing as reliably as the creepiest gun people?

the former, really.

I'm not even a non-gun person I just find the fact that people feel the need to bring their firearms to work - or in public at all, frankly - viscerally uncomfortable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jeez, you think the fact that there's so many public gun fetishists might be related to the supermajority of the country without guns joking about the gun fetishists?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A bit of both, really, and it's less offensive to neuroatypical people than "gun nut" while still getting the idea of "a person who is literally incapable of being physically separated from their murder device for some inexplicable reason" across.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last summer I saw a guy walking across the parking lot in camo shorts, no shirt and an ar-15 style rifle in a shoulder sling.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Exit Strategy posted:

Name + Post Combo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

One of our problem employees was able to limp along without being fired until he forgot to keep his gun in his vehicle before coming in

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Lmao if you do the pocket tap check to make sure you've got your phone keys and wallet. But then realize you need to grab your gun.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Testicles, spectacles, keys, wallet, watch and..... gat

Just doesn't have the same ring

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's the sign of the cross for Americans:

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and GUN

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Shut up Meg posted:

I'll be honest, I would not be surprised if one of you relates an IT story where your boss hands you a gun.

When I worked for an engineering firm in Montana, one time my supervisor handed me a machete. Same office had several dudes who open carried. This was during the George W. administration and I can only imagine how much dumber it is there these days.

Next job, supervisor was an AR hobbyist and brought his customs in to show off, and we did "team building" at the rifle range a few times, but that's just how you socialize in Montana.

Next job, now in a conservative suburb outside of PDX, dumbfuck real actual criminal boss who thought he was the best at guns (think McAfee without the drugs or bank account), and he'd leave a loaded, unlocked pistol in his loving messenger bag in his office. I grabbed it while digging around for a USB stick he sent me to find. I was not pleased.

Current job has recently upgraded on-site security to include personnel and patrols, and we have a very strict no weapons policy. poo poo's gotten even more tense since the Google shooting. And then the new security team decided they needed non-standard hardware for viewing camera footage, which turned into my team's problem, wrapping this back around to a ticket coming in.

Oh god, speaking of, someone on the documentation team dropped a live, public-facing doc saying, "Hey, you wanna put the official image on any arbitrary hardware? CALL DRJ'S TEAM!" Let's just say it got pulled down with a NEVER RELEASE lock on it and someone in SF is gonna find out I don't need weapons to cause someone problems (I don't hurt people, this threat is empty, etc; I'm just going to glare at them and not say anything until they get uncomfortable and leave).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

$oldJob fired a client for coming in to the office and threatening an employee with a handgun because his(employee)'s dad owed money.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

find out I don't need weapons to cause someone problems (I don't hurt people, this threat is empty, etc; I'm just going to glare at them and not say anything until they get uncomfortable and leave).

Firewall ACL deny deny all on their office's network ports? Set a dhcp reservation shoving them on the guest vlan? There are tons of ways you can hurt someone without raising a hand in anger (raising fingers repeatedly in anger, over a keyboard? That's entirely different!).

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Fool posted:

$oldJob fired a client for coming in to the office and threatening an employee with a handgun because his(employee)'s dad owed money.

Was his excuse "Come on, everyone's done a little attempted armed robbery with a live firearm in their time?"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

Was his excuse "Come on, everyone's done a little attempted armed robbery with a live firearm in their time?"

All three of my stories are about the same person. He's done some other stuff that I wasn't a direct witness to:

https://wickershamsconscience.wordpress.com/2016/02/07/dealing-with-psychopaths-guy-christopher-mannino/
https://www.adn.com/crime-justice/article/chiropractor-linked-chena-ridge-bomb-blast-challenges-search-warrants/2013/11/12/
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/fairbanks-man-gets-years-in-murder-for-hire-case/article_56726410-3357-11e6-a06b-0b92861f3c64.html

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Firewall ACL deny deny all on their office's network ports? Set a dhcp reservation shoving them on the guest vlan? There are tons of ways you can hurt someone without raising a hand in anger (raising fingers repeatedly in anger, over a keyboard? That's entirely different!).

I have the keys to the endpoint management system, so I can do all sorts of fun and entertaining things to computers from orbit :getin: Like install Google Extensions that can't be removed due to enterprise settings.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It can be both.

Also seconding the :stare: at all this "guns at work" as a non-yank.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have the keys to the endpoint management system, so I can do all sorts of fun and entertaining things to computers from orbit :getin: Like install Google Extensions that can't be removed due to enterprise settings.

If you're a cloud-based company and you don't use this to install cloud2butt on the company before you leave, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't even like it when the cops turn up to their job with a gun.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

DelphiAegis posted:

If you're a cloud-based company and you don't use this to install cloud2butt on the company before you leave, well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I don't just work for A cloud-based company, I work for :yayclod: its own drat self. Installing cloud2butt on other employee computers as a prank is a longstanding tradition in our IT department.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I don't even like it when the cops turn up to their job with a gun.

Same, but I’m fine with people who don’t beat their wives and threaten to kill dogs for leverage owning guns.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If I am honest, there's some second gen Packard Bells that would probably have gotten a cap in their rear end if I were strapped.

I'd have been able to claim self defence as they drew first blood with their razor-edged cases.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know a guy that got permission to expense handgun ammo to decommission old hard drive platters on the condition that his manager came with him.

He’s a goon, but he never posts so who knows if he’ll even see this.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know a guy that got permission to expense handgun ammo to decommission old hard drive platters on the condition that his manager came with him.

He’s a goon, but he never posts so who knows if he’ll even see this.

You know you're in Montana when your IT lab is decorated with old HD platters and LCDs full of bullet holes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A lot of people in this thread might have their attitudes changed if they got to retire printers with tannerite.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A lot of people in this thread might have their attitudes changed if they got to retire printers with tannerite.

FIELD TRIP!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's dangerous as gently caress, just FYI. The only difference between a Xerox stuffed with tannerite and a car based IED is that theoretically someone could still use the car for something.

That said 'reducing the risk of user data leakage via field expedient methods' is super fun. Lots of .308 caliber holes in old aluminum platter drives.

Edit: The only proper way to decommission a printer is via Office Space https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah this sounds pretty dope tbh

But outside of work man.