Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Forget Spreadsheet Admiralty, I can't wait for Armored Brigade on Steam :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We see you, Vietnam radio operator game, and we raise you The Greatest Generation!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Looking forward to the Soviet mode when you do that without the radio.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
thought i had that game on my wish list already but it was actually a different seemingly identical game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/871530/Radio_Commander/

edit: as you said if only i would read posts

Wooper fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 30, 2019

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just give me a game where I'm sitting on a horse on a hill and every 30 minutes some guy rides up and yells something in French at me.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
make rule the waves battles admiral standing on the bridge

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

in a very artistic move the act of asking for a situational report that may or may not show up reflect the DRM system of rtw2

"but admiral, by definition a naval blockade is not piracy"
:goonsay:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Wooper posted:

in a very artistic move the act of asking for a situational report that may or may not show up reflect the DRM system of rtw2

I suppose we should be relieved that they aren't distributing the serials via flag signals.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

A bunch of precisely timed bombardments followed by infantry advances. Oops you sent your penal squad in a few seconds too early and blew half of them to pieces.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I... I have the weirdest boner right now.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
There is apparently some grog drama involved too.

The Flare Path posted:

RPS: Radio Commander may end up
stealing some of Radio General’s thunder. Do you think the games are sufficiently distinct to co-exist rather than compete?

Michael: Yes, it’s unfortunate Radio Commander will likely be released before Radio General, despite the fact I started development before them. In future I will be much more careful of when I start posting videos on completely unique game ideas, and only post when the game is much further along. As for differences between the games, Radio Commander appears to focus on much smaller engagements and be more focused on the narrative aspect (banter between you and your units). Radio General is much more focused on being a fully-fledged RTS, with an emphasis on tactics, strategy and accomplishing objectives. Each side has different objectives for each scenario, and each objective will have its own point value (e.g. Allies need to capture towns, Axis need to simply inflict casualties while preserving their tanks). The outcome of a match won’t just be a binary win/loss, as it’s seldom so clear-cut in war. Instead it’s about how well you do relative to the enemy’s objectives. This will be reflected in the campaign, where you will be able to ‘lose’ missions, but still progress (losing will actually give you access to more units, as command thinks you need them).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

V for Vegas posted:

Just give me a game where I'm sitting on a horse on a hill and every 30 minutes some guy rides up and yells something in French at me.

This exists!

Scourge of War: Waterloo (and the rest of the series in the American Civil War) allow you to crank up realism command and control frog settings, limiting your direct control of units. At the highest setting orders will be relayed via courier and responses will return the same way. You’ll have to provide the out-loud reading yourself because the relayed orders are in text.

It’s actually a good game too. The battles are like the Total War series x 1000 in scope.

edit: my phone corrected ‘grog’ to ‘frog’ which is pretty good in this context

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 30, 2019

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

fifey posted:

Bit late to the party, what I have to say has probably been said a dozen times by various posters, but bugger it, I'll say it anyway. Obviously disappointed by but fully understand the delay, even without Chris' missus being hospitalised (all the best). Projects I follow almost always get delayed - or they desperately needed to be but weren't. As much as I'd like to be using my empty May to be playing RTW, these things happen, and a few more weeks of spit and polish can't hurt. I would love an open beta, but I suppose that's been considered and the burden of sifting through feedback probably deemed an inefficient use of team resources.

Migration to an updated storefront is great news for the business, the current storefront, while nothing out of the ordinary for me as a tabletop historicals player, is unusually old fashioned for a lot of computer game players and raises a bit of a red flag for many of them. I've seen posters on other websites have to be reassured that you guys are legit. A bit of modern gloss and updated storefront and distribution method should lead to more sales, in addition to us being able to get the game up and running sooner. I expect this will be a big title for NWS at launch based on how I was introduced to Rule the Waves and saw it blow up.

I'm a lot more cool on the DRM decision. Again, I fully understand the perspective, but in my view DRM only ever harms the end-user. If a title garners enough attention it will be cracked, leaving the legitimate end user inconvenienced while pirates are free of DRM. That said, the current method of activation and reactivation with each patch is not perfectly convenient either. I got the itch to play again on one of my few days off currently, but I cannot find where I backed up my code, and the card with which I paid for the game is long since replaced so I'd have to get in touch with Chris to recover it which would take until US hours*. As for the two machine restriction, I had my copy on three machines that I used. Anybody with a work provided machine or multiple shared family devices might find it too limiting.

Finally, the AARs in the developers journal are great, but it would be fantastic to have some more nuts and bolts in the developers journal, or even the release of the manual a little ahead of time so we can read through the changes.

*Correction: the card number is needed to unlock the download, the install code was buried in my emails.

Warship NWS posted:

To fifey,

* Thanks for the support.. as my time is short please allow me to some post some short replies,

* Open betas is not a practice we will get into..

* Even though the present store is not as "fancy as some" .. that was intentional to avoid potential complications - the fancier a store is, quite often more things can go wrong. The new store is being setup due to logistical reasons for RTW2.

* Respectfully I do not agree that protecting a game only "harms the end user", many do not understand that is not entirely true, and we have seen evidence of the opposite. I will stop there to avoid instigating a debate.

* The APS system will require no further effort from our buyers then the system we use now for RTW1. One email either way.

* We can only allow for 2 PC for personal use.. and the code will not have to be redone for every "patch".

* AARs are up to the dev team but we do have a playable demo in the works before launch.

Let me know if that helps..

Thanks friend.

Emphasis mine . He's flat out wrong unless they have some super lovely coders

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Remember, the next time you go to buy groceries if some old guy isn't hand dipping your food out of an oaken barrel that the store is fancier than it needs to be and may collapse on top of you at any second, so drop anything you have and RUN.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
UBOAT is out in Early Access on Steam. $29.99 but it's %15 off right now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I'm always at work when poo poo I'm interested in comes out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

fuckin' bought. Let's do this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

I'm always at work when poo poo I'm interested in comes out.

Same, it's gonna be a long day at work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
UBOAT trip report: it won't run on my potato of a computer

time to upgrade, I guess

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

UBOAT's launch, so far, is very early access. Lots of genuine problems and lots of people absolutely shocked that an EA game has problems!

I've run into quite a few annoyances (my current biggest being crewmen getting stuck on eachother/geometry and unable to perform duties) but no real showstoppers yet. Well, besides my frustration various UI elements aren't how I except them to be after years of SH3/4, but thats not the game's fault! Mostly.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

gradenko_2000 posted:

UBOAT trip report: it won't run on my potato of a computer

time to upgrade, I guess

That's what you get for buying it through a fancy storefront. :smugdog:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Zaodai posted:

That's what you get for buying it through a fancy storefront. :smugdog:

:iceburn::perfect:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

OddObserver posted:

Gimme a Vietnam War simulator where you sit in the Pentagon for 12 hours a day collating data while McNamara yells at you for random statistics. The Papers Please guy could probably make a fun game out of that.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

A game where you sort through photos of child corpses and mutilated old men determining who counts as an "enemy combatant" for the daily body count tally (they all count)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hmmm I think I found my geometry hitching problem in the forward compartments. There are torpedoes in the ceiling, and I'm pretty sure that is not meant to represent the external stores.

Also just had it crash shortly after I noticed this, RIP. Early Access is Early Access.

[edit] Yeah that looks more like the proper spot for external stores.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2019

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also just had it crash shortly after I noticed this, RIP. Early Access is Early Access.

Crash dives are the standard response to being noticed, WAI.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The whole crew system should be seriously overhauled. It sucks. I can see what the idea was (it does make the game more immersive) but it's tedious and it's compounded by the fact that the user interface is a pain to deal with. Maybe after I have a few hours in the game I won't find it so irritating but as far now it's seriously getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Also, why would you reduce the boat's complement from 50 to 15 and then have crew fatigue? It's such a bizarre choice.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm gonna refund uboat

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think I'm gonna take Phi230 DOWN A PEG...

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Squiggle posted:

A game where you sort through photos of child corpses and mutilated old men determining who counts as an "enemy combatant" for the daily body count tally (they all count)

Meanwhile some magical "golden ratio" of sustained enemy casualties needed to achive victory keeps shifting so you always need 6 more months.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to get home from work eventually and I'm going to buy U-boat and I'm gonna like it, you jerks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

sum posted:

The whole crew system should be seriously overhauled. It sucks. I can see what the idea was (it does make the game more immersive) but it's tedious and it's compounded by the fact that the user interface is a pain to deal with. Maybe after I have a few hours in the game I won't find it so irritating but as far now it's seriously getting in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Also, why would you reduce the boat's complement from 50 to 15 and then have crew fatigue? It's such a bizarre choice.

This is disappointing to read - my thought on the crew stuff the whole time has been that it could be fun if done right but could just as easily be a pain in the rear end.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The devs do seem to listen to feedback from what I’ve seen (though the sheer volume now that it’s out in EA maybe change things) so be sure to post thoughts on the steam forum if you want.

I probably will after I’ve had more time with the game, and yeah the crew management needs work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, just suffered my first boat lost. Had only recently reached my patrol grid when my lookouts spot an aicraft closing from astern, only a few miles out. I order crash dive but its not enough for this fast bastard.

He brackets us with charges, three sailors badly injured, severe leak in the rear torpedo room. I try to plug it at first but quickly realize the flooding is too bad and evacuate. Its fine, that compartment alone flooded won't be a problem, I'll just blow balast to counter act and...

Oh.. the depth controls are disabled (along with a lot of other poo poo) and we're sinking fast... Bulkheads start failing because of the pressure, which only increases the flooding... RIP, once we hit 300m and some very :gonk: metal groaning sounds started I didn't have the heart to keep watching and switched to main menu (AFAIK it just fades to black anyways).

I'm am surprisingly salty. Especially because we were about 1400nm west of Cornwall and the Short Sunderland has a range of ~1750nm , so unless these assholes were on a one way trip they shouldn't have been there. :colbert:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
1400nm west of Cornwall is only 550nm NW of the Azores and 800nm ESE of Newfoundland though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did they have ASW patrol airbases there in early/mid 1941?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don't know much about the battle of the Atlantic but I don't see why not?

No, according to google Britain didn't ask for bases in the Azores until August 43. It's still technically feasible from Newfoundland though, albeit catastrophically unlucky on your part. Although far more likely to just be unintended behaviour I know.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay but what if it was The Sims: UBoat and you could renovate the boat and buy new recliners?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Speaking of bad aircraft encounters, I lost my first boat when I got spotted by a Sunderland while trying to transit the Gibraltar straits. At 2 in the morning. Aircraft seem like they're still a work in progress.

Also, is anyone else bumping into a lot of friendly U-boats? I feel like I'm averaging like 3 per patrol. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there an over arching strategic layer yet for UBOAT? Like does the tonnage you sink have an effect on the war effort or anything?