Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bowser posted:

Any good chronicles of the Rockefeller family? Or the Du Ponts, Mellons, or any other super rich dynasty.

Ron Chernow's Titan, a biography of John D. Rockefeller Sr., is a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Any cool books on the occult, satanic orders, secret societies? I dont think any of it's real but it's fun as hell and the lore is rich. Fiction or non, but preferably no horror (no bad dreams!!).

Thanks!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Any cool books on the occult, satanic orders, secret societies? I dont think any of it's real but it's fun as hell and the lore is rich. Fiction or non, but preferably no horror (no bad dreams!!).

Thanks!

You should read 'The Secret Teachings of all Ages' by Manly P Hall.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

Thanks!

Aleister Crowley can be an interesting read; try Magick in Theory and Practice for an introduction.

Secret societies-wise, I've always enjoyed Holy Blood, Holy Grail (i.e., the book Dan Brown ripped off for The Da Vinci Code) and The Temple and The Lodge, even though they're not to be taken seriously.

If you want a more serious book on secret societies, Arkon Daraul's A History of Secret Societies is pretty good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

thehandtruck posted:

Thanks!

Occult Roots of Nazism Secret Aryan Cults and Their Influence on Nazi Ideology

RITUAL MAGIC IN ENGLAND: 1887 to the Present Day

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For fiction, Foucault's Pendulum?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have Occult America: White House Seances, Ouija Circles, Masons, and the Secret Mystic History of Our Nation sitting on the shelf but haven't read it yet so I couldn't tell you if it's any good.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I have a Peter Pan itch I need to scratch again. Other than the Original book, can anyone recommend me any good reimagining or whatever of Peter Pan? Doesn't have to be a prose novel. Any media is welcome but I want stuff that celebrates the character. No grimdark stories or whatever. Im looking at you The Child Thief by Brom

This year I did read Wendy Darling by Austin Chant. Trans Man Peter pan, and it was awesome.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
2nd-ing Foucalt's Pendulum for the fun and madness of it

----

in another note - there is a design book that gets recommended a lot around here and the larger internet as a must read for design and creative thinking, i think it has to do with minimalism and was touted as an influence on Apple design (or it was by the Apple designer or some thing...) - any idea what I'm talking about?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cosmin posted:

in another note - there is a design book that gets recommended a lot around here and the larger internet as a must read for design and creative thinking, i think it has to do with minimalism and was touted as an influence on Apple design (or it was by the Apple designer or some thing...) - any idea what I'm talking about?

The Humane Interface by Jef Raskin?

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Nope, it was much more general, talking about product design and general aesthetics and ergonomy..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, Design of Everyday Things?

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
YES! Thank you!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm looking for some good Westerns or Western-esque novels, but not pulp stuff.

I've read Butcher's Crossing, Sisters Brothers, All the Pretty Horses and True Grit - looking for more along those lines.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Enfys posted:

I've read Butcher's Crossing, Sisters Brothers, All the Pretty Horses and True Grit - looking for more along those lines.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Enfys posted:

Warlock by Oakley Hall

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do
I'm looking for a decent scifi novel that revolves around the idea of UFOs; something like a fictionalized story of accounts you'd find in a J. Allen Hynek or Keel or Vallee book. More Close Encounters of the Third Kind, normal every day people being confronted with the unexplainable type of deal. Anyone have any recommendations?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Can anyone recommend a big, long, exhaustive, book on the creation and early days of TV? Not an oral history, preferably not about just one show, and not just a list of influential shows.

Also, what’s the definitive Frida Kahlo biography? Just saw the Brooklyn Museum exhibit on her and want to read more about her life.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Looking for suggestions to read to my 8 year old daughter. She reads some stuff on her own but bedtime has been a bit higher level reading, so feel free to go above the regular 2nd grade reading level. So far we've done the first 3 Harry Potters, most of Dahl's books, Phantom Toolbooth, Charlotte's web, Jungle Book. She prefers things that have big worlds around them, so her favorites have been Harry Potter, Phantom Toolbooth and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

I'm thinking of doing Rats of Nimh or Howl's Moving Castle. Maybe Redwall, but that seems like it'd maybe not lend itself to reading outloud as much yet. Any other ideas?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

Looking for suggestions to read to my 8 year old daughter. She reads some stuff on her own but bedtime has been a bit higher level reading, so feel free to go above the regular 2nd grade reading level. So far we've done the first 3 Harry Potters, most of Dahl's books, Phantom Toolbooth, Charlotte's web, Jungle Book. She prefers things that have big worlds around them, so her favorites have been Harry Potter, Phantom Toolbooth and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

I'm thinking of doing Rats of Nimh or Howl's Moving Castle. Maybe Redwall, but that seems like it'd maybe not lend itself to reading outloud as much yet. Any other ideas?

The Hobbit is perfect around that age I think.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Off the top of my head: William Pene du Bois's The Twenty-One Balloons, Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (and sequels), Chris Grabenstein's Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (also and sequels), or A Wrinkle in Time (not necessarily and sequels, although A Wind in the Door is okay).

Maybe The Book of Three or A Series of Unfortunate Events as well?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I was a little younger than that when I started reading the Redwalls and my dad did an awesome job with the accents, which are written out phonetically.

I was inconsolable when Martin’s girlfriend gets killed at the end of whatever book.

They were really great for moving me from being read to to reading at bedtime myself, actually, because I always wanted more and it was just faster that way. I loved those loving books.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 30, 2019

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

I absolutely loved The Chronicles of Prydain when I was a kid, and it's got a fun world. It does get a bit dark as the books go on, though I can't remember if it was any more or less dark than The Hobbit, for example. I think I read them when I was about 9 or 10.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tuyop posted:

I was a little younger than that when I started reading the Redwalls and my dad did an awesome job with the accents, which are written out phonetically.

I was inconsolable when Martin’s girlfriend gets killed at the end of whatever book.

They were really great for moving me from being read to to reading at bedtime myself, actually, because I always wanted more and it was just faster that way. I loved those loving books.

That is somewhat heartening, maybe I'll go with Redwall for the next one. I thought it would be slightly above her head but she probably needs a nudge to read slightly tougher stuff herself.

Dirty Frank posted:

It's vocab is probably a little tough, I think. But a good one to have on the list!

Selachian posted:

Off the top of my head: William Pene du Bois's The Twenty-One Balloons, Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (and sequels), Chris Grabenstein's Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (also and sequels), or A Wrinkle in Time (not necessarily and sequels, although A Wind in the Door is okay).

Fairyland is a great suggestion, that's exactly the sort of stuff she loves.

Thanks all!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lockback posted:

the hobbit and then narnia

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Wind in the Willows.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lockback posted:

I loved Watership Down, it might be a bit dark but its not as terrifying as the movie and I think if you read it in the right tone she would enjoy it.

Seconding WitW too, that's a classic every child adores.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Lockback posted:

Sounds like you could get away with LeGuin's Earthsea books?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Dirty Frank posted:

Just did this with my 8 year old girls, they liked it. We made it thought all the Roald Dahl books, they are so good I am sad I don't have any more to read.

Recent books I have read to my 8 year olds:

"Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. A little dark but nothing kids can't handle. Was a excellent read, I enjoyed it quite a bit.

"Wish" by Barbara O'Connor was also very good. This little girls dad is in jail for fighting and drinking and her mom is a mentally ill pos and can do poo poo so she has to go live with her hillbilly aunt. It has a "realness" that I think is missing in a lot of kids books. Does not pull any punches but is not to much for young kids to handle.

"Bunnicula" Vampire bunny. Has goofy rear end humor that my girls really enjoyed, but stay away from any of the sequels, they are terrible.

"Indian in the cupboard" Liked it when I was little, girls both loved it.

A human heart posted:

The Wind in the Willows.

Lockback posted:

Rats of Nimh

I loved both of these as a kid and have not thought about them in a while, they are next on the list for my girls now!

Do you all do "voices" for you kids? I do sometimes and sometimes not. It's hard if there are more then 2 - 3 to keep track of.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 1, 2019

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Oh, and if you are not reading your kids that age Shel Silverstein poems from "A light in the attic" and "Where the sidewalk ends" you are doing the world a disservice.

Parent of the year award - we have my wife's copy of "Scary stories to tell in the dark" (from when she was a kid) and the girls won't even let the book be in there room. The pictures alone do it, we have not even read anything from it.

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 1, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kids would probably like some of those early lord dunsany stories about gods with funny names like mung but what do i know about children's preference for books

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Good kids books:

The Thief of Always
Something Wicked This Way Comes

I never read the Oz books, but I've been listening to a lot of Michael Silverblatt, and he's a vocal fan of the entire series, making me wish I had read them as a child. They're all pretty easy to find and in the public domain.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Good kids books:

The Thief of Always
Something Wicked This Way Comes

I never read the Oz books, but I've been listening to a lot of Michael Silverblatt, and he's a vocal fan of the entire series, making me wish I had read them as a child. They're all pretty easy to find and in the public domain.

The Oz books are great reading for kids. Only the first twelve were written by Baum. Get copies with the original illustrations. Eight years old is probably a little on the old side for them though at least if you're a precocious reader -- they're like transition phase between picture books and all-text books. If you're reading the Hobbit you've passed them.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Oz books are great reading for kids. Only the first twelve were written by Baum. Get copies with the original illustrations. Eight years old is probably a little on the old side for them though at least if you're a precocious reader -- they're like transition phase between picture books and all-text books. If you're reading the Hobbit you've passed them.

Baum wrote 14 Oz books. His other stories are also excellent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spandexcajun posted:

Oh, and if you are not reading your kids that age Shel Silverstein poems from "A light in the attic" and "Where the sidewalk ends" you are doing the world a disservice.

We've read from that for years. She reads it on her own now, though some of the vocab is tough.

spandexcajun posted:

Do you all do "voices" for you kids? I do sometimes and sometimes not. It's hard if there are more then 2 - 3 to keep track of.

I do, though I don't go crazy with them. I try to use different tones and cadence for different characters. Though sometimes you screw up because you start reading in one voice then realize another character is talking.

Like for Charlie I had a clear Wonka voice (Way more manic than Wilder's), a Grandpa Joe voice, and each kid had a bratty tone. Charlie was pretty neutral, but he's just the straight man anyway.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lockback posted:

the malazan book of the fallen

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

xcheopis posted:

Baum wrote 14 Oz books. His other stories are also excellent.

thats not THAT heavy. :smug:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hackers film 1995 posted:

thats not THAT heavy. :smug:

Booo! Hissssss!

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Be like that goon who read Finnegans Wake to his kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I enjoyed them even in my early teens, inbetween reading very adult books about midlife crisis (as well as Donald Duck comics and Jules Verne novels). They're great fun.