Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

deong posted:

but didn't bother to look up any reference material
With sonic, ignoring canon is optimal.

Movie looks funny bad instead of regular bad now at least.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
“Sh...should we really be using an iconic street ballad from the 90’s?”

“It’s fine. We’ll just sample the intro for 90 seconds and only drop the chorus after the viewer is distracted and traumatized by Sonic’s Bee Movie face.”

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mantis42 posted:

Every generation deserves its Bee Movie.

This is called the cycle of abuse, and it needs to end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Sonic throwing a ring to make a gateway portal thing is the most mario brothers movie possible.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Not Keyser Soze posted:

“Sh...should we really be using an iconic street ballad from the 90’s?”

“It’s fine. We’ll just sample the intro for 90 seconds and only drop the chorus after the viewer is distracted and traumatized by Sonic’s Bee Movie face.”

I'm having a hard time thinking of a less appropriate or effective song choice. It really accomplishes absolutely nothing other than generating a few clickbait headlines. It's a pretty slow song when you gotta go fast...

Like so much else about the movie, it seems so perfectly wrong. It's not as blatantly hackneyed as something like "I Feel Good" or "Baby's Got Back" or whatever, it's much more left-field.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 30, 2019

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sonic throwing a ring to make a gateway portal thing is the most mario brothers movie possible.

giant rings have been portals since the first game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hype for sonic

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Make sure you stay for the STINGER SCENE on that Sonic trailer!!!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given Sonic's not even from the 'world' means there's absolutely no reason to make him hyper realistic.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Looking back at the quality of the games and comics over the years, this film seems absolutely consistent with the vision of a company that has never had any idea of what to do with its property.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a less appropriate or effective song choice. It really accomplishes absolutely nothing other than generating a few clickbait headlines. It's a pretty slow song when you gotta go fast...

Music is the one thing they should have copied from Sonic's extensive catalogue of crappy games and cartoons. Get a studio musician to bang out some goofy pop punk or ska theme song, with some try hard butt rock or nu metal for the actions scenes.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
fart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The beginning muaic of that trailer seem to be exuding some retro wave stuff until it suddenly reminded me there was a movie in the 90s where a white lady teaches black kids poetry to end racism forever

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Not seeing that movie without at least one Crush 40 song.

Also
https://mobile.twitter.com/buzz_clik/status/1123377328455704576

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 1, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/AimeeUeda/status/1123420691871752195

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Small eyed Sonic looks a little like he has Downs Syndrome. :downs:

Oddly, I don't think the big eyes look to great either. I think an in between size would be better.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I think that's an improvement, but the human teeth still have to go.

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

There are lots of things about this design that wig me out, so why am I so distracted by the beige facial hair and white stomach hair. It doesn't match. I hate it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The hands too

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I hate the blue arms, personally.

Not at the exclusion of anything else mentioned, of course, but in addition to all of it. It's always a telltale sign that something is off-model about the character, and that design is off-model incarnate.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why weren't his arms blue in the first place

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Calico Heart posted:

Thanks for the advice. I was able to make this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpBWoa4q8gg

Good poo poo.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Looper posted:

why weren't his arms blue in the first place
Makes it easier to read his arms against his body when you're running up against the limitations of color palettes and sprite sizes. Same reason Mario has a mustache and overalls - makes his face and arms more readable, respectively.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 2, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I guess since a lot of his later work was in film (generally as a visual development artist or a story artist), it should be said here to:

Rest in Peace Chris Reccardi

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832?s=21

This is very very bad for the actual animators and sets a horrible precedent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832?s=21

Not the first time it's happened. Monster Trucks had to completely redesign the monster because it made the test audience cry. But they had the decency to delay the movie.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not the first time it's happened. Monster Trucks had to completely redesign the monster because it made the test audience cry. But they had the decency to delay the movie.

Whoa I did not know this. Are there any pictures of the original monster?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://lostmediawiki.com/Monster_Trucks_(unreleased_original_cut_of_children%27s_film;_2017)

Concept

Final release:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

They're going to release the most sarcastic movie ever by crudely layering a badly drawn, deviantart, mspaint still of sonic on top of what they got.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 2, 2019

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://lostmediawiki.com/Monster_Trucks_(unreleased_original_cut_of_children%27s_film;_2017)

Concept

Final release:

They thought the cloverfield monster was appealing for kids?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

World Famous W posted:

They're going to release the most sarcastic movie ever by crudely layering a badly drawn, deviantart, mspaint still of sonic on top of what they got.

That would still be an improvement.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pixeltendo posted:

They thought the cloverfield monster was appealing for kids?

Literally the same studio that thought a goblin in blue pajamas made for an appealing Sonic. Both are Paramount movies.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Detective No. 27 posted:

Concept

Final release:

There exist out there a small group of children who were mildly traumatized by a cut of Monster Trucks that no one else will ever see. In 10 years this will turn into some internet urban legend after one of the kids posts hazy memories about seeing the movie, sparking a multi-year search where someone will become obsessed with tracking down a copy of this cut of the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure I remember someone in these forums saying he worked on the movie but I have no idea who or if they're still active.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did anyone here ever see Monster Trucks? It looked like a really endearing fun kids movie, but I never got around to watching it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
At this point I'm half-convinced they'd already changed Sonic's design back when people started getting mad about the bad design in the teasers, but finished the trailer so they could declare that they were fixing the problem afterwards. The alternative is rampant mistreatment of animators in the film industry :shepface:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ungulateman posted:

At this point I'm half-convinced they'd already changed Sonic's design back when people started getting mad about the bad design in the teasers, but finished the trailer so they could declare that they were fixing the problem afterwards. The alternative is rampant mistreatment of animators in the film industry :shepface:

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1124090999305920519

(open for the whole thread)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has anyone seen ugly dolls yet? Is it better than the trailers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Why did they give him shoes but not gloves? Everyone is so distracted by his horrible face but his little white hands are also unsettling.