Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You sly dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
6 children, 3 vehicles and a 2nd home. Does this person own a company or something? How do normal people have this many resources or how do they retire? Not that relevant but the BFC nosiness in me wants to know.

Also, you're a sly dog.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

skipdogg posted:

For the most part. The Jeep is the wife's toy car, and they generally take the Prius unless the whole family is going. The guy is actually pretty green, he put 12 kW of Solar on his roof last summer too.

Oh, I was joking, glad to see that's actually the case

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

He's basically a high earner. High up in a very profitable company and has a piece of ownership in the company as well. Enough about my neighbor though.

The lease is up on our 2017 Explorer Sport pretty soon and I'm definitely going to buy it at the end of the lease.

I looked at a 2020 Explorer ST as a replacement, but drat if that thing isn't getting too close to 60K for my tastes. Is there a breaking point in new vehicle prices, and are we getting there? I'm not spending 60K on an Explorer ST, so that's my breaking point right now. I got a decent deal on the 2017 so it made sense at the time. To answer my own question though, is no, some people will keep paying for new cars. My wife works at a Credit Union and they regularly see 84 month loans at 5% on 60 to 80K new SUV's and trucks. Some CU's will do 96 months on new vehicles. They don't learn their lesson though, they got burned hard on vehicle loan defaults a few years ago. It's going to happen again.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Guys if I read this right, Mazda is going to unveil two electric Mazda 3s next month- one EV, and one hybrid with a *rotary* engine?!

https://www.autovisie.nl/nieuws/elektrische-mazda-komt-deze-zomer

So this source is Dutch but I guess auto translate will make it intelligible nonetheless.

I don't think its a typo since they said Mazda specifically chose for a 'rotating' engine since they're small enough to fit into the front with an electric battery next to it.

What's up with that? I thought rotaries were about the last thing you wanted for economy & environment. Not to mention reliability. This sounds like either the dumbest or most genius move ever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

Guys if I read this right, Mazda is going to unveil two electric Mazda 3s next month- one EV, and one hybrid with a *rotary* engine?!

https://www.autovisie.nl/nieuws/elektrische-mazda-komt-deze-zomer

So this source is Dutch but I guess auto translate will make it intelligible nonetheless.

I don't think its a typo since they said Mazda specifically chose for a 'rotating' engine since they're small enough to fit into the front with an electric battery next to it.

What's up with that? I thought rotaries were about the last thing you wanted for economy & environment. Not to mention reliability. This sounds like either the dumbest or most genius move ever.

Rotary range extender is something they've been threatening us with for a long time. Rotaries are good for this kind of use. They're compact and when you're using them to generate electricity, you can run them in their most efficient powerband. Not sure how many RADL members we have left but if they're around they can explain more.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Charles posted:

Rotary range extender is something they've been threatening us with for a long time. Rotaries are good for this kind of use. They're compact and when you're using them to generate electricity, you can run them in their most efficient powerband. Not sure how many RADL members we have left but if they're around they can explain more.

Is this design a good idea? Im a layperson for cars. But rotary engine, battery, and possibly CVT sounds like the trifecta of things that will fall apart after 8 years. From what I understand just reading around online.

(I feel like I'm a child againz every other thing I learn blows my mind)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is this design a good idea? Im a layperson for cars. But rotary engine, battery, and possibly CVT sounds like the trifecta of things that will fall apart after 8 years. From what I understand just reading around online.

(I feel like I'm a child againz every other thing I learn blows my mind)

The rotary is a wild-card. Mazdas reliable rotaries have been their lower powered naturally-aspirated models. It'll be a single-rotor low power application, which *should* be fine. It will be mounted horizontally, which is new. Batteries are fine depending on thermal management and charge management. If the engine is a generator only as they've been saying, there will not be a transmission.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

skipdogg posted:

I looked at a 2020 Explorer ST as a replacement, but drat if that thing isn't getting too close to 60K for my tastes. Is there a breaking point in new vehicle prices, and are we getting there?

My mother in law just bought a new RAV4 and while it is very nice the >30k$ sticker was enough to give me heart palpitations.

She didn’t finance much but still, goddamn. It’s a loving RAV4 guys.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Charles posted:

The rotary is a wild-card. Mazdas reliable rotaries have been their lower powered naturally-aspirated models. It'll be a single-rotor low power application, which *should* be fine. It will be mounted horizontally, which is new. Batteries are fine depending on thermal management and charge management. If the engine is a generator only as they've been saying, there will not be a transmission.

Oh sweet, I didn't get that the first time. I thought it was a conventional hybrid setup where the combustion engine does the Lions share of the work. That'll be a very interesting car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LeeMajors posted:

My mother in law just bought a new RAV4 and while it is very nice the >30k$ sticker was enough to give me heart palpitations.

Industry average new car transaction price is $37k, what would you expect? https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2019-02-0...elley-Blue-Book

Only the basest of RAV4s are under $30k now, right?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

LeeMajors posted:

Yea it's one of the best vehicles on the road by all the metrics that actually matter.

I love this attitude from "car guys" who don't know poo poo about cars

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wheeee posted:

Yea it's one of the best vehicles on the road by all the metrics that actually matter.

Oh I know it’s a great car. It just blows my mind how expensive cars have gotten. It’s a small SUV with decent gas mileage.

I’m not saying it’s a bad car at all. I’d drive one in a second. It’s the price that’s crazy. I guess I’m getting old or maybe I’m a loving miser but 30k on a car feels like it should be more than a run of the mill vehicle.

Like even in the past ten years it’s gotten out of control. And 96mo financing?!? Get the gently caress outta here.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

LeeMajors posted:

Oh I know it’s a great car. It just blows my mind how expensive cars have gotten. It’s a small SUV with decent gas mileage.

I’m not saying it’s a bad car at all. I’d drive one in a second. It’s the price that’s crazy. I guess I’m getting old or maybe I’m a loving miser but 30k on a car feels like it should be more than a run of the mill vehicle.

Like even in the past ten years it’s gotten out of control. And 96mo financing?!? Get the gently caress outta here.

I understand that's the general feeling, however keep in mind you may be noticing inflation. The starting cost of a RAV4 has seemed remarkably static over the past 10 years, despite dramatic increases in cabin tech over the same period.

2008 RAV4 starting MSRP for a stripper model: $21500, in 2019 dollars $25590.

2019 RAV4 starting MSRP, $25500.

My favorite inflation calc: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=$21500+2008+dollars

VVVV this is true, wage stagnation is a hugely understated issue.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 30, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LeeMajors posted:

Oh I know it’s a great car. It just blows my mind how expensive cars have gotten.

$30k in 2019 was only $20k in 2000. So, keep that in mind what $20k would buy back then in comparison.

The real issue isn't isn't the cost of cars, it's wage stagnation.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wheeee posted:

The CX-5 is miles better than the RAV4 in just about every way imaginable.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

bull3964 posted:

The real issue isn't isn't the cost of cars, it's wage stagnation.

Don't forget the steadily increasing costs of inelastic necessities such as housing and food despite the stagnation of wages, since you can always stretch people a little further

Rent keep on goin up, pay just stay the same

If there's ever a universal basic income without strict regulations on rent prices it'll effectively just end up as a handout to landlords and everyone will still be poor

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

drgitlin posted:

The CX-5 is miles better than the RAV4 in just about every way imaginable.

I drove all 3 direct competitors.
The new Forester is better than the new RAV4 everywhere except for Power, and the CX-5 is better than both the Forester and RAV4 in pretty much every category, short of maybe Infotainment.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

I drove all 3 direct competitors.
The new Forester is better than the new RAV4 everywhere except for Power, and the CX-5 is better than both the Forester and RAV4 in pretty much every category, short of maybe Infotainment.

And the new mazdas get CarPlay and Android Auto so that might level that field too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

skipdogg posted:

He's basically a high earner. High up in a very profitable company and has a piece of ownership in the company as well. Enough about my neighbor though.

The lease is up on our 2017 Explorer Sport pretty soon and I'm definitely going to buy it at the end of the lease.

I looked at a 2020 Explorer ST as a replacement, but drat if that thing isn't getting too close to 60K for my tastes. Is there a breaking point in new vehicle prices, and are we getting there? I'm not spending 60K on an Explorer ST, so that's my breaking point right now. I got a decent deal on the 2017 so it made sense at the time. To answer my own question though, is no, some people will keep paying for new cars. My wife works at a Credit Union and they regularly see 84 month loans at 5% on 60 to 80K new SUV's and trucks. Some CU's will do 96 months on new vehicles. They don't learn their lesson though, they got burned hard on vehicle loan defaults a few years ago. It's going to happen again.

Continued depression in wages is leading what used to be a hot market for cars (young people) to defer car purchases, buy used where they can still find a reasonable price point, or not buy a car altogether and depend on rideshare/transit/on-demand rental. So now auto manufacturers are in a spiral where they're having to capture a piece of slowly contracting market of rich people and olds.

Unless wage stagnation and income equality gets fixed right quick things are going to get progressively uglier for the auto market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Auto dealer overflow lots are starting to outnumber matress stores on the main business district drag near my house

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g27311686/2020-toyota-86-hakone-edition-photos-info-gallery/

Hot, shame about the motor.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MikeyTsi posted:

Continued depression in wages is leading what used to be a hot market for cars (young people) to defer car purchases, buy used where they can still find a reasonable price point, or not buy a car altogether and depend on rideshare/transit/on-demand rental. So now auto manufacturers are in a spiral where they're having to capture a piece of slowly contracting market of rich people and olds.

Unless wage stagnation and income equality gets fixed right quick things are going to get progressively uglier for the auto market.

This is basically the same in every market. Brands and retailers have to decide which group they want to pursue, the rich or poor. There is no middle.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This all being said I'm still going to get me an S5

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Yikes combined they are selling only 8k of these a year. (Not this edition all of them) Hey let's use the worst thing about subies in our combined car!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I thought the 86 twins were due for a significant HP bump this year or next?

Those cars have absolutely dropped off a cliff depreciation wise though. A used one is a great deal if you want a RWD coupe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I could take or leave my WRX.

My BRZ is unadulterated driving joy that has never failed to put a poo poo eating grin on my face.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

And the new mazdas get CarPlay and Android Auto so that might level that field too.

Android Auto is like the one thing that I just don't get as a killer feature.

Don't get me wrong, the app is fine, but the screen mirroring feels so clunky to me in every car that I've used it in. I just got done with several months of rental cars that were all AA equipped, and I hardly ever used it. The whole appeal of BT to me is that I don't even have to take my phone out of pocket for short trips, it'll just pair and start playing whatever was playing last. At most, I start a podcast or audible or spotify before I get moving. For longer trips, it still felt easier and more convenient to just shove my phone in a mount and leave it alone to automatically pair and start AA.

I dunno. I can't wait for wireless mirroring because that's going to be awesome, but the fact that most (all?) current cars rely on plugging in a USB cable just feels like a hassle.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm waiting for the Bill BlassSupreme edition 86 with vinyl roof and limited edition decal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

this is easily the best looking limited edition version of this car toyota or subaru has offered. that green is perfect with those wheels but i'm not super sold on the brown and black seats--should be all brown leather imo.

Previa_fun posted:

I thought the 86 twins were due for a significant HP bump this year or next?

Those cars have absolutely dropped off a cliff depreciation wise though. A used one is a great deal if you want a RWD coupe.

they're still really spendy on the used market for a clean, unmolested one.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I want that color a lot, but on a Miata.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Paradoxish posted:

Android Auto is like the one thing that I just don't get as a killer feature.

Don't get me wrong, the app is fine, but the screen mirroring feels so clunky to me in every car that I've used it in. I just got done with several months of rental cars that were all AA equipped, and I hardly ever used it. The whole appeal of BT to me is that I don't even have to take my phone out of pocket for short trips, it'll just pair and start playing whatever was playing last. At most, I start a podcast or audible or spotify before I get moving. For longer trips, it still felt easier and more convenient to just shove my phone in a mount and leave it alone to automatically pair and start AA.

I dunno. I can't wait for wireless mirroring because that's going to be awesome, but the fact that most (all?) current cars rely on plugging in a USB cable just feels like a hassle.

Agree 100%
Everyone made a big deal out of AA. I used it one time o the drive home, and not once since.
1) Android Auto doesnt work with the native Samsung music app, which I like better than other players because it has folder play and browse for my mp3s
2) Like you said, its just so convenient to get in the car while never touching my phone while its in my pocket. Music starts playing automatically via BT.
gently caress taking out my phone, plugging it in, agreeing to the "you sure you want to use AA" messages.

Wireless Mirroring would be the best.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I used to love the thought of having AA or similar stuff with a big rear end screen in cars, but on my main car I now have the built in Blue&Me for calls and an aftermarket dongle that cost me about $20 or something. Both automatically connect to my phone (mind blown that I could have 2 Bluetooth connections work at the "same" time). The dongle connects as soon as I turn on the power, and the drat thing even starts where I left off last.

For navigation my car comes with a removable TomTom that's integrated with the cars system. A bit outdated, and I don't feel like paying subscriptions for it, so I might get a phone holder that looks exactly the same. Could use something like AutoMate.

Edit: On the other car I bought one of those vent holders, removed the vent part and doublesided the magnet to the dash. Very clean and holds the phone firm.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 1, 2019

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

I wish more cars came in green. They seem to be as rare as some of the louder colors like orange or yellow.

I had a Mini Cooper in BRG and say what you will about Minis, they at least did colors right.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

If Minis were even like, Kia reliable, they’d be absolutely adored classics

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I watched a video of a clutch change on a Mini and I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I saw that engine bay... and it's not like it's just a ton of plastic panels hiding stuff neither.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I really really like Android Auto and I basically can't live without it. Have you seen the navigation built into cars? Horrendous.

I also travel for work where I need navigation and rent a lot of cars where I don't want to have to figure out their stupid infotainment. I literally will refuse a Toyota as a rental because they still don't have it. I mean, WTF?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 1, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I watched a video of a clutch change on a Mini and I didn't know I was claustrophobic until I saw that engine bay... and it's not like it's just a ton of plastic panels hiding stuff neither.

I guess that's at least the one thing new ones have in common with the old ones aside from the name then! A friend has an old one and I loving hate wrenching on it because it's all insanely packaged in such a tiny space.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

I really really like Android Auto and I basically can't live without it. Have you seen the navigation built into cars? Horrendous.

I also travel for work where I need navigation and rent a lot of cars where I don't want to have to figure out their stupid infotainment. I literally will refuse a Toyota as a rental because they still don't have it. I mean, WTF?

I think I read that they finally caved and will start including it. Their infotainment is atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

The nav in my Dodge is pretty decent. Not as good as google maps but better than most other ones I've used.