Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Torrannor posted:

Why do you want to avoid changing succession to ultimogeniture?

Doing that typically turns the game into "Will the king immediately poop out a younger son with a harelip, even though I specifically married him to someone older than dirt to avoid this problem? Yes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Doing that typically turns the game into "Will the king immediately poop out a younger son with a harelip, even though I specifically married him to someone older than dirt to avoid this problem? Yes."

Yeah but you can just join a monastic order and choose to become celibate once you get that genius heir.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Apart from celibate on command as GHOST_BUTT has mentioned, you can also just divorce your wive once you got the genius heir. It's not as good as simply going celibate (and abandoning celibate if you need to pump out more kids in the event that your sons die), but still an option.

And it's not as if you're forced to use ultimogeniture forever, you can switch back to primogeniture with your next ruler if you generally prefer that succession type.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I tend to really like ultimogeniture, it's secretly the best succession law because your heirs are always young and so you end up with some amazing long reign opinion bonuses on every one of them; this in turn makes ultimogeniture surprisingly stable in the long run. The only downside is that you will eventually have to eat poo poo and go through a fifteen year regency or something, but even that isn't too bad if your regent isn't terrible. The childhood events are pretty fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the big risk with ultimogeniture is that you will go into one of those regencies when your direct vassals have a lot of claims on your poo poo, because they'll all see that as their moment to throw their weight around. this happened recently in the streamthrough i occasionally post here, where my ultimogeniture daughter became queen in her early teens and spent the first twenty years of her reign doing nothing but putting down claimant factions that popped off.

there's a bunch of strategies for mitigating that problem but none of them are foolproof and all of them get complicated.

alternately you can go with primo and avoid that problem in favor the less problematic one of old rulers, trading off the fact that those old rulers imply a ton less overall opportunity.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 30, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in a pickle, I own 75% of Britannia, but the rest is owned by pagans. I can take the remaining 5 counties from Scotland, but I just took 4 and have to wait out a truce. Nobody in his court likes me enough to kill him.

What isnt owned by Scotland is owned by Denmark and the problem there is that he can poo poo out 16k troops and I can only do about 12k. And I have enough plot power with him, there just haven't been any openings. My goal is to weaken him in to revolts. I got Scotland, Essex, Kent and Somerset to break free with that method 60 years ago.

I could hire mercs until I whittle his armies down, but it'll be risky and too close. It's only 885 so there's no holy orders.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 30, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sometimes you just have to wait. Build some things in your castles, perhaps plot kill some troublesome/powerful vassals, build an observatory, etc. If Denmark gets into a civil war or the truce with Scotland ends, you can go on the warpath again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Antagonize the king of Denmark until he is your rival and then kill him in a duel. Rinse and repeat until some hopelessly incompetent (and probably smelly) dweeb, preferably a small child, is on the throne and the entire thing explodes into civil war.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I definitely had to wait and I'm definitely glad I did. Days before I could make the empire title, he died and split England, Wales and Scotland off. Killed off the better dueler, who thankfully went almost immediately with over 350 plot power.

Had to string claim duel the brother who took Wales and Sctoland. Won that, but not before the idiot destroyed the kingdom of Wales. Once I won the duel, Wales went independent. Nobody would accept vassalisation, so I requested a claim on gwenyd and once I had that, everyone fell back into line. I'm one county away from forming the empire, I just have to wait until the former Duke of gwenyd is dead or the truce has expired.

However the son just died and now I'm going to be fighting to avoid civil wars for a couple years.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Antagonize the king of Denmark until he is your rival and then kill him in a duel. Rinse and repeat until some hopelessly incompetent (and probably smelly) dweeb, preferably a small child, is on the throne and the entire thing explodes into civil war.

Conquering Europe, Highlander style.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

For that matter, I think you can just duel the Scottish king; truces are between characters, not nations, so if either of you dies, war becomes an option again.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ABD
Always Be Dueling

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I should've exported the log, because every single ruler of mine, save for 1 or 2 that died in combat, died of cancer. Never have I had such bad genetic luck with cancer before.

Long story short, I got stuck with a terrible child heir and deposed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

ABD
Always Be Dueling

one of the things i frequently wish for the game is an easy way to find allowed dueling targets. stacking duel experience is incredibly cool and a great benefit of war focus but good god it takes forever to create a rival.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I should've exported the log, because every single ruler of mine, save for 1 or 2 that died in combat, died of cancer. Never have I had such bad genetic luck with cancer before.

Long story short, I got stuck with a terrible child heir and deposed.

this is a sign of satanist cultists active in your realm.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
in the new version of the after the end mod, i'm playing as a merchant republic. i have no sons in my court. i have the level 1 mansion, and i my trade post limit is four. i build the second level mansion, which should give +3 posts, and my trade post limit is still four

did something change recently in the base game? could the mod be bugged?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

this is a sign of satanist cultists active in your realm.

That checks out, I seemed to have a lot of people with the possessed or lunatic trait.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

put your chaplain on hunt apostates. understand that when he brings someone in, he's right 100% of the time unless he himself has been corrupted (e.g., he is himself a satanist or has a secret religion).

start aggressively locking people up without a society showing if you are given the slightest excuse. satanists cannot tainted touch you if they're imprisoned.

join the hermetic society and run down the list of people who can be your apprentice. they only need to be your apprentice for an instant to be forced to join the hermetics forever. if they are a hermetic, they cannot be a satanist. anyone you cannot force to be your apprentice should be considered a satanist until proven otherwise.

if you're really over it, join the satanists for a while and systematically destroy everyone you can in your realm.

whatever strategy you adopt, be a bloodhound. satanists are a serious problem because they effectively destroy the benefit given by young rulers, and that longevity is one of the strongest benefits a human player has over an AI one.

they deserve to die.

they all deserve to die.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Leaving your chaplain set to "apostates" is a startlingly effective way to thin out your realm.

I once sent like three dukes in a row to the pyre, it was great.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Or you could just turn off satanists

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Palemdromes posted:

If you hate fun, of course

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

But then you don't have the fun of finding out your heir is a satanist when you start playing him

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you hate fun, of course

Satanists don't add any fun for me, the events you get when you're one are seriously disturbing / disgusting, and when you're not one, every third person is a possessed lunatic who can apparently give you cancer.

I decided to play a game with default settings this time, and Satanists and AI Seduction are the two things I really wish I'd turned off.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

I decided to play a game with default settings this time, and Satanists and AI Seduction are the two things I really wish I'd turned off.

I enjoy Satanists but boy, AI Seduction is just unbelievably frustrating. Also, you would think that the fact that the last three dudes who tried to bang a princess wound up with their dicks lopped off would discourage any further seduction attempts, but no, no it does not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can handle Aztec or Mongol invasions, and losing 90% of my dynasty to the Black Death. But I'm not patient enough to deal with Satanists anymore, and AI seduction on is just incredibly unfun. Those are always off.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I always turn off AI seduction too, but I like to have the satanist option for when I want or need it

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i seriously have never had problems with AI seduction. they can do that but whatever, it doesn't affect me that much.

AI intrigue though.

that poo poo is verboten.

i catch you with the intrigue focus on and you are going into eternal time out by any means necessary.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

put your chaplain on hunt apostates. understand that when he brings someone in, he's right 100% of the time unless he himself has been corrupted (e.g., he is himself a satanist or has a secret religion).
No, they are able to find innocents per roll if
(a) they really suck (learning ≤8), in which case finding an innocent is rolled first at a base chance of 20% up to 49% at worse learning levels.
(b) they don't hit on their other rolls in order - first is high suspicious always found -> medium suspicion base 30% chance with multipliers above 10 learning -> no suspicion chance at 25% multipliers above 18 learning -> innocent at 5% chance multipliers for low learning

But yes, they'll almost always be correct in practice.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 30, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i didn't want to bother writing it all out but basically unless your chaplain is an exceedingly dumb motherfucker he will always be right because the numbers involved make it more likely for you to get get the white stag in the hunting focus.

yes, that is actually possible. now think how many times you've seen it.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

yeah i didn't want to bother writing it all out but basically unless your chaplain is an exceedingly dumb motherfucker he will always be right because the numbers involved make it more likely for you to get get the white stag in the hunting focus.

yes, that is actually possible. now think how many times you've seen it.

I wonder if it's so unlikely just because most players use Hunting as a "neutral" focus because +2 martial and +1 health are pretty much always beneficial, and we can't have every ruler ever capture the mythical white [insert animal of region] now can we?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hunting is the perfect midlife crisis if you're diligent because if you train the hunting dog while diligent you get +1 permanent health. theology has always struck me as the better 'neutral' one because the secluded penance you can do during it will eliminate vices, give you virtues, and stack on some piety because why not.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

luxury handset posted:

in the new version of the after the end mod, i'm playing as a merchant republic. i have no sons in my court. i have the level 1 mansion, and i my trade post limit is four. i build the second level mansion, which should give +3 posts, and my trade post limit is still four

did something change recently in the base game? could the mod be bugged?

Your technology level probably sucks. Check your Trade Practices level, and see what the modifier is (probably -50%).

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

binge crotching posted:

Your technology level probably sucks. Check your Trade Practices level, and see what the modifier is (probably -50%).

in the mod, i'm playing as the republic of new york, who starts the game with level 4 trade practices

e: i guess there was a change at some point such that the minimum number of trade posts is 4 no matter what, kickstarting republic trade networks, and you need level 3 palaces to get any benefit from them

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 1, 2019

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Coolguye posted:

one of the things i frequently wish for the game is an easy way to find allowed dueling targets. stacking duel experience is incredibly cool and a great benefit of war focus but good god it takes forever to create a rival.

If you want to duel a whole bunch of people then crack open the on_actions file and mess around with the on_combat_pulse tombola. Default is at 500, I cranked mine up to about 1500 and I'm fighting dudes left and right. :black101:

Make sure you've a decent sword and suit of armor first though, cuz hoo boy is it a sure way to lose kings quick if you're not ready for it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Coolguye posted:

i seriously have never had problems with AI seduction. they can do that but whatever, it doesn't affect me that much.
If I found a genius wife, she was guaranteed to quickly get some STD if I left AI seduction on.
And when I played as a female ruler, it was extremely annoying constantly being bombarded by seduction attempts by every idiot in realm.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of diseases, this game was rolling along well, except abruptly every drat person in Ireland has caught TB, including my Genius heir. Vaccinate, you medieval shits

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

trapped mouse posted:

I wonder if it's so unlikely just because most players use Hunting as a "neutral" focus because +2 martial and +1 health are pretty much always beneficial, and we can't have every ruler ever capture the mythical white [insert animal of region] now can we?

Almost everyone playing the minimax game takes Hunting as their focus only when they get to their mid-50s, so that you get the hound for a health bonus right when you need it most. If you're younger and want health then take Theology to grab the Pilgrim trait plus as many virtues as you can stand, or Family if you need kids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dwesa posted:

If I found a genius wife, she was guaranteed to quickly get some STD if I left AI seduction on.
And when I played as a female ruler, it was extremely annoying constantly being bombarded by seduction attempts by every idiot in realm.

For the latter problem if you tell your first seducer “it will never happen” you get “rejecting seduction attempts” for 5 years that prevents anyone else from even trying

for the former i'll admit i've never really had a problem with it. great pox is a problem but it is not so prevalent that it affects my play more than once every couple of generations or so. do note that if it's a courtier or someone other non-ruler who is doing the seducing, you can invite them to court and then gently caress with them in a handful of different ways, like forcing them to take vows. monk forbids the seduction focus.

e: also, if you're REALLY concerned about your wife loving other dudes, just marry a lustful lesbian. she still gets +5% fertility overall and she outright cannot be seduced by dudes. i personally could not possibly care less because failing your wife getting syphilis for sleeping around (which, as i said, really does not happen that much IME) the only thing you get is more dynasts out of it for just trusting her word that it's yours. the only possible downside is that this ostensible kid of yours gets hit with the intrigue focus later in life and someone hits the very lucky proc on finding out they are a secret bastard, which i literally have never seen happen in my 350 hours of play.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 1, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dwesa posted:

Yeah, I turned seduction off because I almost never use it, and the constant attempts when playing a female ruler were obnoxious.

At some point they added a cooldown timer for seduction attempts, but I had gotten used to it being disabled and never bothered turning it back on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man seduction is absolutely fantastic to use as a player, strategically i'd say it's probably the second most powerful focus in the game (after intrigue). you guys are missing out by not using it.

as a male ruler it is absurdly powerful for making tons of kids. just don't get married or get rid of your current spouse, take seduction, and start loving every lustful single teenager you can invite to court. tumble once, then make them your lover and move on. award them honorary titles to keep them from being culled if they're good, otherwise just roll the dice. five years after you get master seducer you can make your children list look like your vassal list. the thing is, as an unmarried man, the literal only penalty you get for legitimizing every bastard is that your existing kids hate you for 1 year. not 10, ONE. it's your wife that hates you for ten years. so just gently caress every thot in the kingdom, get a kid out of every one of them, get a lover's memento for +.5 health when one of them dies of poor health, and when you are finally happy with your massive brood of children or your eldest turns 15, marry the smartest one for a few more and call it a day.

female rulers have a trivially easy time of making as many kids as their bodies can handle if the husband is trusting. find someone with a bloodline you want + trusting, marry them, then go gently caress the exotic foreigner with genius. your husband is forced to believe you when you tell him it's his so long as he has trusting, so you can pop out totally legitimate olive-skinned kids with karling blood all day long even though both you and grifo are white as gently caress. oh, and let's not forget that master seductress will basically force every man on the planet to love you until you turn 45, at which point you should have long reign bonuses to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's incredibly powerful for intrigue as a woman. Since every man will probably love the hell out of you if are a master seducer, you can get people to join your plots who ordinarily never, ever would.