Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plank Walker posted:

no one can recommend you an android phone because encouraging self-harm is banned in yospos

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you should get a pixel because google will obviously not abando-

quote:

Pixel (2016) phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee more updates.

oh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

oh
yes but have you considered i installed the latest ios on my five year old iphone and now its kind of slow

loving greedy CRAPple!!!1!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

get a sony whatever. they have clean designs, the software is the most neutral of all the oems and they're cheaper than google ones.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

creationist believer posted:

the motorola xoom offers the true android experience. it won "best in show" when it was shown off at CES

was that the one that won best in show and nobody was even allowed to touch it?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
samsung shoulda tried that approach with the galaxy bendy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

was that the one that won best in show and nobody was even allowed to touch it?

and a plastic nib-in-place for the future cellular antenna

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

infernal machines posted:

i hope that's OC, because just imagine the person that would earnestly write that and also think that this subforum and this specific thread would be the place to post it

Yeah, I'll admit it's OC, because the responses so far are exactly what I wanted. I'd much rather be told that android sucks and that my choice is dumb and stupid no matter what phone I end up buying. It's the honesty I need right now.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

graph posted:

it's killer features were microSD card slot* and LTE**

*not available until software update 7 months after release
**not available until you mail it back to motorola/verizon 8 months after release

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pseudorandom posted:

Yeah, I'll admit it's OC, because the responses so far are exactly what I wanted. I'd much rather be told that android sucks and that my choice is dumb and stupid no matter what phone I end up buying. It's the honesty I need right now.

cool, cool.

yes, android is still android OP. if you feel like that's something you would like, get the nokia someone mentioned earlier

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

graph posted:

yes!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

oh

they upped this to three years before they abandon you starting with the pixel 2

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
they are still updating original pixel even though its past their official support time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
betteridge's law strikes again

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

i’m the meager 4gb of ram

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
c anroid s: my pixel 1 has apparently developed a condition where any pair of headphones is treated as if it is constantly sending control sequences, causing music to pause at random and voice assistant to activate constantly.

cool.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pseudorandom posted:

another success story, bless

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reminder that the first major android tablet was the originally Samsung galaxy tab, a 7.something inch tablet which cost as much as an iPad but was measurably worse in so many ways that Samsung had to hide how many they sold by counting units shipped and not units sold.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol the android tablet market has absolutely collapsed, i remember a few months ago i had to look for one for work and everything out there is woefully outdated even by android standards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

reminder that the first major android tablet was the originally Samsung galaxy tab, a 7.something inch tablet which cost as much as an iPad but was measurably worse in so many ways that Samsung had to hide how many they sold by counting units shipped and not units sold.
it also launched with (and was probably never updated from) an os that google explicitly said was not intended for tablets

it was measurably worse in literally every way unless "not crapple ibad!!!!" was a selling point to you

the xoom was so bad it had to render the screen in separate halves

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the xoom absolutely outclassed the original galaxy tab.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol the android tablet market has absolutely collapsed

welcome to, er, 2013.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got a sick razer gaming phone at work for a test device. I can confidently say that no one should own one, it's huge and the corner of it scratched the screen of an OG pixel I had in my pocket with it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

the xoom absolutely outclassed the original galaxy tab.
being a somewhat less stinky piece of poo poo doesn't mean it's not a piece of poo poo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

The Management posted:

oh

jokes on you, this is actually an advantage because they keep making their os worse like (badly) trying to copy iphone gesture navigation

if you can find a nexus 5 with a decent battery, it would probably show you when it was janky, but cheap and acceptable and seemingly getting better every release but it's very much not like that anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rapeface posted:

jokes on you, this is actually an advantage because they keep making their os worse like (badly) trying to copy iphone gesture navigation

if you can find a nexus 5 with a decent battery, it would probably show you when it was janky, but cheap and acceptable and seemingly getting better every release but it's very much not like that anymore.
a nexus 5 has been abandoned since 2016 why would you suggest this to anyone

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
being abandoned is the android experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

a nexus 5 has been abandoned since 2016 why would you suggest this to anyone

yes, i think you're starting to get the picture here

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
android OS choices:
stock os made by the oem good for 2 years maybe if you buy on launch day, still weeks/months behind google

jail broken community rom compiled nightly, must wade neck beard deep in forums to know what phone to get and what’s currently broken

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol the android tablet market has absolutely collapsed, i remember a few months ago i had to look for one for work and everything out there is woefully outdated even by android standards

the tablet market did in general as well (the ipad is way down from the initial peak), it is a pretty stupid device class outside some pretty niche uses

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, still: if you must buy an android phone, get a cheap nokia

nothing has a better update guarantee/deal, and they are very decent value. the china network registration software getting loaded on some going to europe was stupid as hell, but hard to interpret as anything but a mistake.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

google is so bad at hardware. to be fair the entire phone industry declined, but selling a middling tier phone at premium prices is a joke.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sure but apple does it so why not goog?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

sure but apple does it so why not goog?

google is terrible at anything that’s not advertising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the smooth, resistive touch.... of coby kyros

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the tablet market did in general as well (the ipad is way down from the initial peak), it is a pretty stupid device class outside some pretty niche uses

Remember when nobody was going to buy laptops again because the iPad was a perfect computer replacement for 95% of users

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol weren't the xoom tablets the ones that went on firesale and it turned out they spend so much time sitting around that the battery self-discarged past the point that they could be recovered because the charging circuit wouldn't engage and couldn't bootstrap off the available 5v USB power

or was that the blackberry ones?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

or was that the blackberry ones?

it was the bb ones

remember when 'truckfuls' of them went 'missing'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
reminder that the bb ones had to be tethered to a bb phone because bb never, ever figured out how to circumvent the 1-to-1 relationship at the core of their backend