Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

RaySmuckles posted:

pretty sure the only reasonable response is installing DOOM on his cyberspine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

RaySmuckles posted:

pretty sure the only reasonable response is "I was told to inform you that if you keep telling people THEY will have to take action." :geno:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

^^^

I wouldn't gently caress with a CIA killing machine like that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/niom-ro042919.php

The Netflix show "13 Reasons Why" was associated with a 28.9% increase in suicide rates among U.S. youth ages 10-17 in the month (April 2017) following the shows release, after accounting for ongoing trends in suicide rates, according to a study published today in Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The findings highlight the necessity of using best practices when portraying suicide in popular entertainment and in the media. The study was conducted by researchers at several universities, hospitals, and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), part of the National Institutes of Health. NIMH also funded the study.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

quote:

An anti-psychotic pill which contains a tracker so doctors can check if it's been taken isn't being used because it could add to patients' paranoia, an expert has warned.

The Abilify MyCite has a metallic chip the size of a grain of sand. It was approved to treat schizophrenia by the US's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2017.

But few patients are taking the pioneering new treatment, which costs $1,650 (£1,275) for a month's supply, because of concerns and the fact it costs so much more than usual medication.

The idea of swallowing a tracking chip which transmits signals may be too much for patients battling the disorder to handle, according to a psychiatrist.

Schizophrenic patients are already at risk of paranoia, delusions and hallucinations.

And Dr James Levenson, from Virginia Commonwealth University, said the pill, which still isn't on the market in the US, could contribute to those.

Abilify is already used to treat schizophrenia but a pharmaceutical can add the tracking sensor – made of copper, magnesium and silicon – and put it into the pills.

When the patient swallows the pills it transmits a signal over the internet to let the doctor know it has been taken.

This process makes the medicine up to 30 times as expensive, however.

As well as this, the extra component may be worsening the same symptoms it's trying to control, according to Dr Levenson, who spoke to The Washington Post.

He said: 'Patients who have a lot of paranoia might be uncomfortable with the idea of a medicine that is transmitting signals. The patient may be afraid to take it.

'The science of this one is kind of ahead of the data.'

Dr Levenson's comments mirror concerns which were raised when the drug was approved in 2017.

One expert said introducing the medicine in a schizophrenia medication wasn't very considerate.

Dr Paul Appelbaum, a psychiatrist from Colombia University said at the time: 'Psychotic disorders are often characterized by some degree of paranoia, often reaching delusional proportions, in which patients may believe that outside forces are trying to monitor and control them.

'The idea that we’re giving this group of patients a pill that, in fact, transmits info about them from inside their body to the people that are involved in their treatment almost seems like a confirmation of the worst paranoias of the worst patients.'

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
some people with schizophrenia already believe they’re microchipped so it should be an easy sell

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Remember when you were crazy if you believed a number of shady organizations are following your every move?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao the onion did a bit on this 12 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoXQKumgCw

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

lmao, regular abilify without the spy-chip is only like $900/mo and has a limited time before generics become available. I wonder what reason they could possibly have for making a new version that costs twice as much for literally the exact same medication.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

BioMe posted:

Remember when you were crazy if you believed a number of shady organizations are following your every move?

Every delusion that is common of paranoid schizophrenia is now reality.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Entorwellian posted:

Every delusion that is common of paranoid schizophrenia is now reality.

Well, sort of. There is all host of stuff passively monitoring you, but the odds that anyone is specifically monitoring you specifically are still extremely low.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

silentsnack posted:

lmao, regular abilify without the spy-chip is only like $900/mo and has a limited time before generics become available. I wonder what reason they could possibly have for making a new version that costs twice as much for literally the exact same medication.

the reason is that now they get twice as much money for the same pill

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1123196299120189440

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/niom-ro042919.php

The Netflix show "13 Reasons Why" was associated with a 28.9% increase in suicide rates among U.S. youth ages 10-17 in the month (April 2017) following the shows release, after accounting for ongoing trends in suicide rates, according to a study published today in Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The findings highlight the necessity of using best practices when portraying suicide in popular entertainment and in the media. The study was conducted by researchers at several universities, hospitals, and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), part of the National Institutes of Health. NIMH also funded the study.

That's very sad. I'm glad it was studied so that there are fewer people who repeat the error of making a show like that in the future.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

'well obviously my life would have turned out poo poo if I'd started working at 11. Definitely wouldn't want my kids doing that. So not my kids, other kids'.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Frankly I'm kind of uncomfortable with the idea of being internally tracked by a for-profit company even as a non-schizophrenic. i feel like the implications for this technology and potential dystopian medication compliance techniques are too obvious to be ignored. though I suppose it is an obvious capitalist solution to the fundamental problem of collapsing support systems that traditionally would have ensured medication was being taken

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if it pushed subscriber numbers Netflix would put up a show that was just the words KILL YOURSELF flashing with gloomy sunday on loop as bgm

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tino posted:

Self checkout is really about convenience more than cost. Same reason people prefer ATM machine than window clerk.

Also, self checkout is quite common in China. There is absolutely no shortage of labor and there is no minimum wage, but store still install self checkout machines. Cost saving is not a primary driver.

People who argue I m doing cashier's job, who cares? I am already doing most of the work by carrying the food from the shelf to the register, and carry it again to my car. Do you guys remember before supermarket, you don't pick packages from the shelf yourself? You go to a local store and tell the store clerk what do you want and he pack it from the shelf for you. I didn't grow up in the US and I remember what food shopping was like before "supermarket".

Stockholm syndrome

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

CoolCab posted:

if it pushed subscriber numbers Netflix would put up a show that was just the words KILL YOURSELF flashing with gloomy sunday on loop as bgm

cant cancel your subscription if you're dead

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Gum posted:

cant cancel your subscription if you're dead

i wonder how many corpses are still being billed monthly for streaming services b/c they had no heirs to shut down all that stuff

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/gizmodo/status/1122867383104831488?s=21

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

tino posted:

Self checkout is really about convenience more than cost. Same reason people prefer ATM machine than window clerk.

This is how it has been sold to you.

quote:

Also, self checkout is quite common in China. There is absolutely no shortage of labor and there is no minimum wage, but store still install self checkout machines. Cost saving is not a primary driver.

In a harmonious society it is about convenience. In late capitalist hellworld it is about profit because literally everything is about profit.

quote:

People who argue I m doing cashier's job, who cares?

The cashier, who doesn't have a job anymore and so will die from a preventable illness in late capitalist hellworld, because having a job determines your right to achieve medical debt

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Paramemetic posted:

This is how it has been sold to you.

In a harmonious society it is about convenience. In late capitalist hellworld it is about profit because literally everything is about profit.

The cashier, who doesn't have a job anymore and so will die from a preventable illness in late capitalist hellworld, because having a job determines your right to achieve medical debt

all of retail is going to be automated, along with taxis, trucking, factory work, ect. the answer is to desperately start fighting for UBI before the implosion, not telling people that their preference for self-checkout is the result of brainwashing

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

all of retail is going to be automated, along with taxis, trucking, factory work, ect. the answer is to desperately start fighting for UBI before the implosion, not telling people that their preference for self-checkout is the result of brainwashing

UBI is a handout to landlords, without significant other comprehensive reforms

and automation only occurs when that automation is cheaper than human labor, which is why it is not progressing at the same speed as the technology itself

that's why automatic taxis aren't a thing - uber is, and uber will almost certainly always be cheaper than buying automated taxis

altho we're probably heading straight into automatic uber because lmao hellworld

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
and on top of that, self-checkout isn't automation at all u dummy, as has already been covered

yr example here is like

"imagine taxis, but you have to drive the car yrself"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
imagine hiring a truck to ship something, but instead of someone driving the truck, you have to drive the truck instead

wow the future of automation is incredible

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
imagine a restaurant, but instead of a chef, you just cook the food you want to eat, and instead of a waiter, you serve yourself

automation is truly incredible, I can't believe restaurants have been obsoleted by *checks notes* a kitchen

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

"imagine taxis, but you have to drive the car yrself"

so, zipcar?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

MRC48B posted:

so, zipcar?

idk I've never used zipcar

I thought it was like a generic car rental place

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nah, they have cars parked around cities, you unlock it with an rfid, pay by the hour.

It's not exactly a taxi, in that you have to find one and walk to it, but its drat close if your city is dense enough.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zipcar is also owned by avis. so all it is is renting cars from avis except you go to a parking spot theyre renting in a whole foods parking lot or whatever instead of an avis lot

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

actually it's called tate mode and is the best way to play vertical scrolling shooters

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Self checkout is good. But I don't want to spend more time arguing over this. Just don't try to tell me the browsing the Target aisles is also "doing retailers work for them", because I enjoy the physical browsing much more than browsing Amazon.com.

By extension I also enjoy ordering McDonald on their giant tabletss. I just like doing that at my own pace than interacting with the cashiers. I think in the future fast food restaurants can hire human to help old people use the tables.

BTW when I was in China the banks have way more extensive use of machines. You can use it to open an account. One of the machines my wife used had option to let you pick up a headset to talk to a live rep on a webcam window.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

imagine a restaurant, but instead of a chef, you just cook the food you want to eat, and instead of a waiter, you serve yourself

automation is truly incredible, I can't believe restaurants have been obsoleted by *checks notes* a kitchen

korean bbq is good and i refuse to trust the waitresses to cook my food for me because one time they put raw pork next to cooked beef and served the cooked beef for me and i got food poisoning so bad i was making GBS threads and vomiting at the same time for like three days

it's my fault tho cause i was like "that seems like cross contamination, i should probably put that back on the grill" before going "eh i'm sure she knows what she's doing"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tino posted:

Self checkout is good. But I don't want to spend more time arguing over this. Just don't try to tell me the browsing the Target aisles is also "doing retailers work for them", because I enjoy the physical browsing much more than browsing Amazon.com.

someone's never been to Ikea

it's the loving embodiment of "we realized we could save money if we outsourced every single drudge job to the customer"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

tino posted:

BTW when I was in China the banks have way more extensive use of machines. You can use it to open an account. One of the machines my wife used had option to let you pick up a headset to talk to a live rep on a webcam window.

Ngl but "bank tellers" and banks in general are way way down towards the bottom of my hypothetical list of labor to protect

I mean I'm pretty aware of automation, I was a certified pharmacy technician for a decade and every year I was told that automation was right around the corner to destroy my job but it turns out it was always cheaper to just pay people

Please also understand that I don't think having jobs or that jobs exist at all is a virtuous or moral thing, I welcome automation. I just think that, as with all things, automation under capitalism is bad

Automation under communism is actually good because, you know, it doesn't exist at the expense of people to maximize profits

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

tino posted:

Self checkout is good but only for the reason that it makes it easier to steal from the megacorps that own the stores. gently caress everything else about it.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
like, the argument of "we did it so as to offer convenience" would be more compelling if it mysteriously didn't mean that suddenly the store was giving its employees a lot fewer hours

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

General Dog posted:

Well, sort of. There is all host of stuff passively monitoring you, but the odds that anyone is specifically monitoring you specifically are still extremely low.

everyone is getting specifically monitored

you don't exactly need dudes in trenchcoats tailing people these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our current social order was built around the paternalistic assumption that most people (and their families) will be entirely supported by their employer in a more straightforward feudalistic system, which is why it's assumed that most more complicated social support should be done through the employer, and many social support programs try to work like corporate subsidies for poverty wages than the state looking after its citizens.

This is 100% undercut by the fact that no employers are interested in the idea of paternalism towards their employees, and they try to keep it simply transactional, which'd be understandable if it weren't for the fact that they try to do that while also trying to maintain the image of paternalism politically.