Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wtf, apollo's good and a cutie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
How can someone not feel pure joy seeing Apollo dunk on Klavier.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Meallan posted:

How can someone not feel pure joy seeing Apollo dunk on Klavier.

Also vice versa. Even though Klavier is incredibly boring as a prosecutor compared to the others, their dynamic is extremely good.

I would be down for Athena getting her own game but I'll settle for any characterization or arc beyond that fragment of her backstory in Dual Destinies. It seems like aside from her mood matrix thing and the incident with her mother, they don't really know what they want to do with Athena.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Color Printer posted:

Also vice versa. Even though Klavier is incredibly boring as a prosecutor compared to the others, their dynamic is extremely good.

I would be down for Athena getting her own game but I'll settle for any characterization or arc beyond that fragment of her backstory in Dual Destinies. It seems like aside from her mood matrix thing and the incident with her mother, they don't really know what they want to do with Athena.

They seemed too busy correcting for Apollo's lack of involvement in his own game to really bother with Athena, yeah.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I love that they introduced Athena, and I like her a lot, but also they really shouldn't have in DD. They have their hands full with two attorneys let alone 3. DD was trying to do like five too many things at once.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Anonymous_Fame/status/1123173217940705281

Also yeah, if you had to introduce Athena, maybe just have her as like an intern assistant and then she could eventually get promoted to full lawyer.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 1, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Athena will get her full backstory revealed in AA7 without any warning like Apollo's was in SoJ.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Podima posted:

Yep you're not alone there, it happens from time to time and is one of the few frustrating things that can happen when playing.

Dragonatrix posted:

Can only ever think of

Good to see I am not the only getting annoyed by this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Give me a case with Athena in a mock trial while in school, with Nick as the assistant and Franzisca as the guest prosecutor. The twist will be that the defendant is also Athena.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Playing through 2-2 right now and Franziska is more interesting than I remembered. She actually straight-up gives Phoenix chances to succeed he wouldn't have otherwise because she's totally full of herself and 1000% confident she can easily handle anything he can dish out. It's a neat twist on the dynamic because even though she's probably the most outwardly hostile main prosecutor in the series she still ends up "helping" you out.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dragonatrix posted:

Can only ever think of

between like 2 or 3 of us constantly reposting this and the Hamburgers comic, they should just be in the op for quick re-quoting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
DD was more of an Athena game tbh.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

DD was more of an Athena game tbh.

Can't say I was bothered by that. Athena is a treasure.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Also playing Spirit for the first time and this new prosecutor sucks rear end.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really loved Sadhmadhi, but a whole lot of that might just have been his character design. I don't think he was very memorable otherwise, now that I think about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He talked about burgers once and it was the single charming character moment he had.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I hated him but it was because he was never upset or humbled or questioned his philosophy in light of being defeated. And then I was expected to feel bad for him when his sad backstory was revealed.

...which is actually kinda how I feel about Godot so at least the reasons why I dislike prosecutors are consistent. (Though Godot is also a sexist rear end in a top hat on top of that.)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The problem with Nahyuta is they saved all the character development for the very end and while they made his personality a smug antagonising jackass they forgot to also attempt to make him likable outside of a few very short moments. The reveal is supposed to make this better but it ultimately feels like too little, too late.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There needs to be one what's a cute girl again tbh.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

There needs to be one what's a cute girl again tbh.

bring, clap emoji, back, clap emoji, franziska

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Edgeworth and Franziska are the best prosecutors because they have some stupid rear end agenda. They just want to be the best and kick rear end.

I don't like this new dude because honestly, the vibe that he's coming to another country and being annoyingly assholish because they don't fellate his spiritual bullcrap is very problematic. Like... these lawyers literally solved "the dark ages of the law" and he comes in hollering about how lawyers can't be trusted and UGH Get out of America!! :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
7 should be Athena vs Fransiska and they should have the inevitable wright vs edgeworth case as the tutorial.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

7 should be Athena vs Fransiska and they should have the inevitable wright vs edgeworth case as the tutorial.

This.

Though imo Wright vs Edgeworth should be DLC cases from now on. Those don't tie into the main plot, so they're perfect to just bring out the nostalgia.

I would like for a tutorial eventually to be Athena having to teach some poor kid because Nick is lazy and hired someone but didn't bother training them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Color Printer posted:

The problem with Nahyuta is they saved all the character development for the very end and while they made his personality a smug antagonising jackass they forgot to also attempt to make him likable outside of a few very short moments. The reveal is supposed to make this better but it ultimately feels like too little, too late.

Yeah. Blackquil’s an rear end in a top hat, but he has redeeming moments both in a “is an enjoyable character” way and in a “isn’t a completely awful person” way from his first trial.

Sad Monk is condemning you to hell constantly and never questions these beliefs when you keep proving people innocent. He has a few funny lines but overall just never lets up on his jackass-ness.

But then you get backstory dump and don’t you feel bad for him now.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pretty sure he became a lawyer because his stepdad was a lawyer.

And at least Athena's backstory is brought up and resolved in the same game she's introduced.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 1, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Pretty sure he became a lawyer because his stepdad was a lawyer.

And at least Athena's backstory is brought up and resolved in the same game she's introduced.

Doesn't that actually make her the odd one out of the 3?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No. Nick doesn't have much of a tragic backstory to begin with, but what there is, is dealt with in 1.

By the way, Nick is also like the only prominent character whose family we know absolutely nothing about. Obviously that's because there's nothing particularly interesting about it, but I'd still like to see some glimpse of his parents.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

No. Nick doesn't have much of a tragic backstory to begin with, but what there is, is dealt with in 1.

By the way, Nick is also like the only prominent character whose family we know absolutely nothing about. Obviously that's because there's nothing particularly interesting about it, but I'd still like to see some glimpse of his parents.

He's got the whole thing with his girlfriend trying to murder him in T&T though.

I mean she ends up being Mia's antagonist anyways, but hell, it gets about as much focus as the school got in 1 relative to Edgeworth's.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm kinda bored with every main character having some kind of tragic past so I prefer Phoenix's genericness. Besides that, I finished case 2 of SoJ and man... magicians are not good people.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amppelix posted:

I want the exact opposite of this actually. Part of why I like Phoenix is what we don't know about him, because it isn't relevant to court. I feel like even seeing his house in the anime was giving us too much.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Arist posted:

Playing through 2-2 right now and Franziska is more interesting than I remembered. She actually straight-up gives Phoenix chances to succeed he wouldn't have otherwise because she's totally full of herself and 1000% confident she can easily handle anything he can dish out. It's a neat twist on the dynamic because even though she's probably the most outwardly hostile main prosecutor in the series she still ends up "helping" you out.

Yeah, Franziska wants her perfect victory, and she can't have her perfect victory if her opponent doesn't give it his all. That just wouldn't be fair, nor glorious enough for the Von Karma name.

Franzy is good.

hopeandjoy posted:

I hated him but it was because he was never upset or humbled or questioned his philosophy in light of being defeated. And then I was expected to feel bad for him when his sad backstory was revealed.

...which is actually kinda how I feel about Godot so at least the reasons why I dislike prosecutors are consistent. (Though Godot is also a sexist rear end in a top hat on top of that.)

I hate both those prosecutors too, so we must have similar standards. Blackquil is extremely good, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

I want the exact opposite of this actually. Part of why I like Phoenix is what we don't know about him, because it isn't relevant to court. I feel like even seeing his house in the anime was giving us too much.
But I like the characters in this series, and I'd like to know more about them through angles that aren't relevant to the court!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Amppelix posted:

But I like the characters in this series, and I'd like to know more about them through angles that aren't relevant to the court!

Yeah, I feel the same. I like how this series is not just a collection of murder mysteries but theres an actual story tied to most of them.

But not everyone loved the whole Fey family saga like I did.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like Godot because he's the only prosecutor who actually acknowledges that cases tend to end with a life sentence/death penalty. Friska and Edgey have arcs centered around learning that their priorities are poo poo, and Blackquill is written to avoid making accusations lightly, but Gavin and Sad Man are way too happy to consign people to death on the weakest pretexts and never catch poo poo for it.

E: I liked when Apollo was just a defense attorney with no tragic backstory who incidentally took it way more seriously than either of his coworkers.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I like Godot because he's the only prosecutor who actually acknowledges that cases tend to end with a life sentence/death penalty. Friska and Edgey have arcs centered around learning that their priorities are poo poo, and Blackquill is written to avoid making accusations lightly, but Gavin and Sad Man are way too happy to consign people to death on the weakest pretexts and never catch poo poo for it.

E: I liked when Apollo was just a defense attorney with no tragic backstory who incidentally took it way more seriously than either of his coworkers.

I did think it was weird and perhaps even bad writing when Klavier, who had previously been established as someone who cared about finding the truth and doing a good job, absolutely didn't seem to give a poo poo anymore during the serenade case.

Then again since that case affected him personally and he was absolutely pissed about what happened, maybe it was ic but a darker part of him.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like Godot because he loves coffee, just like me.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I always figured Klavier’s whole demeanor was using his rockstar persona as cover for the deep impact of personal events that we never really see him come to terms with (it’s been a long time since I played AJ, so apologies if I’m forgetting a scene or two). He behaves funny and flirty and careless on his cool motorcycle because the moment he stops he has to face the reality of how almost everyone in his life made terrible choices that he had no way of stopping, or made him question his whole relationship with them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Japan/"America" in the Ace Attorney world not only continuing to use the death penalty but also using hanging to accomplish it is something that kind of fucks with me whenever I ponder it for more than a few seconds.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nate RFB posted:

Japan/"America" in the Ace Attorney world not only continuing to use the death penalty but also using hanging to accomplish it is something that kind of fucks with me whenever I ponder it for more than a few seconds.

Japan in the real world continues to use the death penalty and only does it by hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I always figured Klavier’s whole demeanor was using his rockstar persona as cover for the deep impact of personal events that we never really see him come to terms with (it’s been a long time since I played AJ, so apologies if I’m forgetting a scene or two). He behaves funny and flirty and careless on his cool motorcycle because the moment he stops he has to face the reality of how almost everyone in his life made terrible choices that he had no way of stopping, or made him question his whole relationship with them.

It’s been a while since I last played AJ too, but I do remember that he started to crack pretty hard when he realized that any reasonable person would come to the conclusion that Kristoph was behind the last murder as well. He’d probably have been able to rationalize the first one as Kristoph making a terrible mistake for reasons inscrutable to him, but the final trial forced him to come to grips with the fact that Kristoph was always a monster.