Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

She's not running tho

You 100% sure? :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1123050521856827392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Biden and Hillary running would cause in a Centrist cage match where they would all murder each other before they allow someone else the ability to rule.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

If she ran (which isn't likely) it would tank Biden.

:yeshaha:

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Yiggy posted:

Sure but those people who think trump and Biden are the same stayed home last time and no doubt stayed home in ‘12. No one really has them as part of their models because of course they won’t vote.
people on both sides like to pretend this is a massive demographic that needs to be actively courted or shamed into voting and i'm not sure there's anything to that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh I fully would be unsurprised if the Dems were to nominate a proven loser like hillary

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VideoGameVet posted:

If she ran (which isn't likely) it would tank Biden.

:yeshaha:

Yeah for real I would be pretty happy if she ran for Bernie's sake

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hahaha... pull the trigger!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Didn't she already announce she's not running months ago?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Hahaha... pull the trigger!

We're not that lucky and you know it.

Jaxyon posted:

Disillusionment is not the only factor that got people to vote Obama and not Hillary.

No, but the argument from Hillary supporters went that she could turn out POC voters reliably. As it turns out, she couldn't, and it wasn't just because of voter disenfranchisement.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Skex posted:

See there you go assuming that I'm not on the Left, that I'm not also hoping that Benie will be able to win and demonstrate that running on the premise of doing popular good things will win. I'm just not willing to consign humanity to accepting the apocalypse if the reality that I've seen my entire life continues. Bernie may be the best option, that doesn't mean that he's the only good option and it sure as gently caress doesn't mean that there is no value in getting some incremental improvement and putting a brake on the backsliding in order to hopefully buy time for demographics to catch up and more Boomers to die if he fails to get the nomination. The other choices may be less ideal but none of them are anywhere near as awful as this thread pretends.

If the Left lives or dies on the success of a single person, it's not the Left.

There's no more time for incremental bullshit. Bernie is not important for me, it's that he is symbolic of more left-wing possibility. If he goes out in a wet fart campaign against a monster like Joe Biden, then we are screwed and the electorate is not ready to move past the center-right position our country is stuck in with enough time to actually do anything about climate change. We don't have time to wait for all the lovely boomers to die.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Skex posted:

See there you go assuming that I'm not on the Left, that I'm not also hoping that Benie will be able to win and demonstrate that running on the premise of doing popular good things will win. I'm just not willing to consign humanity to accepting the apocalypse if the reality that I've seen my entire life continues. Bernie may be the best option, that doesn't mean that he's the only good option and it sure as gently caress doesn't mean that there is no value in getting some incremental improvement and putting a brake on the backsliding in order to hopefully buy time for demographics to catch up and more Boomers to die if he fails to get the nomination. The other choices may be less ideal but none of them are anywhere near as awful as this thread pretends.

If the Left lives or dies on the success of a single person, it's not the Left.
the idea that this is the final election to end all elections is really offputting and the preemptive defeatism from the possibility of bernie not getting the nom is very crazy, imho but whatever

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judakel posted:

Not enough to cause her to lose the rust belt states.

I love when people hate Hillary enough to end up at conclusions like “GOP voter supression, meh, big deal”.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary will announce Sanders threatened her not to run, Bernie must resign.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Also it's impossible to separate true disillusionment from the Hillary campaign with the natural apathy that came from months of the media proclaiming "She has a 99.999% chance to win, it's all over!" Of course if you think the election doesn't matter, you're not going to turn out.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

InnercityGriot posted:

There's no more time for incremental bullshit. Bernie is not important for me, it's that he is symbolic of more left-wing possibility. If he goes out in a wet fart campaign against a monster like Joe Biden, then we are screwed and the electorate is not ready to move past the center-right position our country is stuck in with enough time to actually do anything about climate change. We don't have time to wait for all the lovely boomers to die.
what if there's an recession but not enough time to help bernie, but one that prompts a bunch of insurgent campaigns like AOCs? are you saying you'd have completely given up by that point and that it wouldnt matter

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mellow Seas posted:

I love when people hate Hillary enough to end up at conclusions like “GOP voter supression, meh, big deal”.

Not actually what anybody has said, but you keep on defending Mother's e-honour three years after the fact.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

cargo cult posted:

what if there's an recession but not enough time to help bernie, but one that prompts a bunch of insurgent campaigns like AOCs? are you saying you'd have completely given up by that point and that it wouldnt matter

Of course not, but if we get a recession not in time to help Bernie than we have either Trump in the presidency or a Centrist body snatcher who will do nothing but capitulate to the investment classes for four years. Obviously you try again in four years but who is the noted left Dem pol ready to run for the presidency in another four years? It matters that he wins because the left Dem bench has been basically bare forever and there's nobody else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm obviously no hillary fan but it is incredibly dumb you can get 3 million more votes and lose.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

InnercityGriot posted:

Of course not, but if we get a recession not in time to help Bernie than we have either Trump in the presidency or a Centrist body snatcher who will do nothing but capitulate to the investment classes for four years. Obviously you try again in four years but who is the noted left Dem pol ready to run for the presidency in another four years? It matters that he wins because the left Dem bench has been basically bare forever and there's nobody else.

Wasn't it pointed out that, technically, AOC would be 35 by the time of her inauguration in 2025 if she ran in 2024? Just saying...

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

InnercityGriot posted:

AOC started her career as a bernie staffer right? ideally this iteration of the Bernie and warren campaigns will get more young, charismatic people the experience they need to start careers of their own

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

reignonyourparade posted:

Alternately, they've read Literally Any Of Your Posts Ever.

If you think that you haven't actually read any post I have ever made, ever.

Judakel posted:

Generational shifts are a myth in a system where a minority can overrule a majority. You don't know what you're talking about.

You're perception is too limited, you are viewing this in the context of now and ignoring all of the improvements that have occurred over the last 30 years, Sure we lost ground on the economic side of the fight but 30 it's not like the conservatives suddenly became racists, they've always been that way in fact 30 years ago they were worse. Yes the right has been resurgent and they have gamed the systems to maximum effect, but they are also desperate, note that they've given up any pretext of playing within the rules. They're not doing that because they're feeling confident, they're doing it because they know that their time is running out. All of that "you won't replace us" nonsense is shaking their fists at their own mortality and vainly screaming into the void trying to stop the inevitable.

100 years ago women didn't have the right to vote, 50 years ago Jim Crow was the rule of the land, 30 years ago people were arguing about whether gay people should be allowed to live (100 years ago it's wasn't even a debate) hell 10 years ago it was still against the law for gay people to be married. poo poo changes and yes the system is built to be resistant to change which is a mixed blessing, good when you aren't in power bad when you are, It makes it harder to make progress, but at the same time it makes said progress more resilient because it's more difficult for someone to come around later and undo that progress.

You keep blaming Liberals and Democrats for the fact that Republicans lie cheat and break the law to win which is :catdrugs: I mean do you talk politics to people other than online and at activists events? People don't change easily or rapidly. It took years of Pride Parades, Designing Women, Queer eye and Ellen for attitudes to homosexuality to shift to the point where a gay man is running for President at it's not the most talked about aspect of his run.

If you think that generational shifts are a myth, then you haven't been paying attention.

We have a good field of candidates, the vast majority of whom are better more progressive and dare I say more leftist than anyone who won the nomination in the history of the loving country. Seriously if Bernie wasn't in the race then you'd have people defending any criticism against Warren, if she wasn't in the race we wouldn't be hearing people calling Buttigeg a sociopath. It would be nice to be able to have a reasonable discussion of the pros and cons of each candidate but we can't because any discussion of Harris it's all "cop" "cop" "truancy" or any discussion of Warren has to include genegate.

Every one of them, even the worst centrist corporate tools would make a better President than any Republican and yeah I get it "Benie is our best chance and we're all doomed if we don't take the threat seriously" but stating it over and over again in response to any suggestion that he might not be the only decent option isn't going to make his victory anymore certain.

My breakdown.

Bernie I'm an old school Leftist so yeah I like him best for the role because he's the most consistent, on the other hand he's old and old people simply aren't as flexible and adaptable to change, which probably goes a long way to explaining why he can't figure out how to connect with black voters in a way that convinces them that he's a superior choice to Biden or Harris.

Warren, She's good, she's focused on policy and in general good ones. Sure she's not perfect but her ideas have a much easier path to implementation and would start the process of weakening capital so that the rich have fewer resources to obstruct positive change with going forward.

Buttigeg, Yeah he's a bit of a blank slate, he's green and it would be nice if we had a little better track record on good policy, however it sounds like he has a good grasp of the structural impediments that we're facing in trying to address the challenges we face and is young enough that he's able to change and grow in good ways.

Beto, like Buttigeg he's a gamble, maybe he's a centrist pos but so far he's the only one to call for radical change on our immigration policy and is pushing Climate change as the most important issue we're facing.

Harris, She's a black woman who grew up in America and is a Democrat, I seriously doubt that she doesn't take white supremacists seriously. yeah her record is a bit harsh but she was a black woman prosecutor and you don't get into that position without having to do some poo poo.

Castro, I actually like him a lot, he's got a good record in SA and seems to legit give a poo poo about people.

Biden, He's my least favorite of the ones who seem to have a real chance at the nomination. but he did write the Violence Against Women Act and pushed the issue of Gay marriage over the hump the problem is I don't know how much of his past policy positions was cynical political pandering and how much represented his internal views on things.

I'm not super familiar with the others who are various levels of bleh to ick and honestly they are such long shots that unless something drastic happens they'll be out of the race after the first primary if not sooner.

The question isn't who I support, or for that matter who you or anyone else on this forum supports but rather who is going to have sufficient support to secure the nomination? And there are a lot of factors involved in that ultimate decision that aren't controllable and while they may not be morally right still exist and will effect the outcome.

Hostility of a significant portion of the Democratic electorate towards Bernie is a thing, as is the fear and loathing that the elites have for him.Then we get to how the media handles it an lol if you think that won't have an effect. then again he has a massive operation with over a million volunteers and that might be enough to overcome the institutional obstacles to his nomination. There is also the fact and it's a fact that he has a weakness when it comes to outreach to minority voters that he hasn't shown himself to be particularly adept at addressing and correcting.

I hope that he can overcome those but it's an open question at this point and so putting all of my eggs into a single basket is just a recipe for disappointment.

Skex fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 30, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

That's not what I said, you dullard.

Skex posted:

If you think that you haven't actually ready any post I have ever made, ever.

You're perception is too limited, you are viewing this in the context of now and ignoring all of the improvements that have occurred over the last 30 years, Sure we lost ground on the economic side of the fight but 30 it's not like the conservatives suddenly became racists, they've always been that way in fact 30 years ago they were worse. Yes the right has been resurgent and they have gamed the systems to maximum effect, but they are also desperate, note that they've given up any pretext of playing within the rules. They're not doing that because they're feeling confident, they're doing it because they know that their time is running out. All of that "you won't replace us" nonsense is shaking their fists at their own mortality and vainly screaming into the void trying to stop the inevitable.

100 years ago women didn't have the right to vote, 50 years ago Jim Crow was the rule of the land, 30 years ago people were arguing about whether gay people should be allowed to live (100 years ago it's wasn't even a debate) hell 10 years ago it was still against the law for gay people to be married. poo poo changes and yes the system is built to be resistant to change which is a mixed blessing, good when you aren't in power bad when you are, It makes it harder to make progress, but at the same time it makes said progress more resilient because it's more difficult for someone to come around later and undo that progress.

You keep blaming Liberals and Democrats for the fact that Republicans lie cheat and break the law to win which is :catdrugs: I mean do you talk politics to people other than online and at activists events? People don't change easily or rapidly. It took years of Pride Parades, Designing Women, Queer eye and Ellen for attitudes to homosexuality to shift to the point where a gay man is running for President at it's not the most talked about aspect of his run.

If you think that generational shifts are a myth, then you haven't been paying attention.

We have a good field of candidates, the vast majority of whom are better more progressive and dare I say more leftist than anyone who won the nomination in the history of the loving country. Seriously if Bernie wasn't in the race then you'd have people defending any criticism against Warren, if she wasn't in the race we wouldn't be hearing people calling Buttigeg a sociopath. It would be nice to be able to have a reasonable discussion of the pros and cons of each candidate but we can't because any discussion of Harris it's all "cop" "cop" "truancy" or any discussion of Warren has to include genegate.

Every one of them, even the worst centrist corporate tools would make a better President than any Republican and yeah I get it "Benie is our best chance and we're all doomed if we don't take the threat seriously" but stating it over and over again in response to any suggestion that he might not be the only decent option isn't going to make his victory anymore certain.

My breakdown.

Bernie I'm an old school Leftist so yeah I like him best for the role because he's the most consistent, on the other hand he's old and old people simply aren't as flexible and adaptable to change, which probably goes a long way to explaining why he can't figure out how to connect with black voters in a way that convinces them that he's a superior choice to Biden or Harris.

Warren, She's good, she's focused on policy and in general good ones. Sure she's not perfect but her ideas have a much easier path to implementation and would start the process of weakening capital so that the rich have fewer resources to obstruct positive change with going forward.

Buttigeg, Yeah he's a bit of a blank slate, he's green and it would be nice if we had a little better track record on good policy, however it sounds like he has a good grasp of the structural impediments that we're facing in trying to address the challenges we face and is young enough that he's able to change and grow in good ways.

Beto, like Buttigeg he's a gamble, maybe he's a centrist pos but so far he's the only one to call for radical change on our immigration policy and is pushing Climate change as the most important issue we're facing.

Harris, She's a black woman who grew up in America and is a Democrat, I seriously doubt that she doesn't take white supremacists seriously. yeah her record is a bit harsh but she was a black woman prosecutor and you don't get into that position without having to do some poo poo.

Castro, I actually like him a lot, he's got a good record in SA and seems to legit give a poo poo about people.

Biden, He's my least favorite of the ones who seem to have a real chance at the nomination. but he did write the Violence Against Women Act and pushed the issue of Gay marriage over the hump the problem is I don't know how much of his past policy positions was cynical political pandering and how much represented his internal views on things.

I'm not super familiar with the others who are various levels of bleh to ick and honestly they are such long shots that unless something drastic happens they'll be out of the race after the first primary if not sooner.

The question isn't who I support, or for that matter who you or anyone else on this forum supports but rather who is going to have sufficient support to secure the nomination? And there are a lot of factors involved in that ultimate decision that aren't controllable and while they may not be morally right still exist and will effect the outcome.

Hostility of a significant portion of the Democratic electorate towards Bernie is a thing, as is the fear and loathing that the elites have for him.Then we get to how the media handles it an lol if you think that won't have an effect. then again he has a massive operation with over a million volunteers and that might be enough to overcome the institutional obstacles to his nomination. There is also the fact and it's a fact that he has a weakness when it comes to outreach to minority voters that he hasn't shown himself to be particularly adept at addressing and correcting.

I hope that he can overcome those but it's an open question at this point and so putting all of my eggs into a single basket is just a recipe for disappointment.

Liberals are to blame for Donald Trump.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mellow Seas posted:

Hey Mellow, I am deliberately going to be very polite when I say this.

Hillary is a very bad person and now that she is no longer in a 1 v 1 with a big dumb orange poo poo poster it is perfectly alright to hate her loving guts for the narcissistic, money grabbing, warmongering turboshit that she is. No one thinks voter suppression is meh friendo, just that maybe having her* to vote for might have contributed to people not wanting to put the effort in.

EDIT:* originally I wrote turd on a stick here and I wish to apologise to turds everywhere for the comparison, my bad.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Judakel posted:

That's not what I said, you dullard.

Liberals are to blame for Donald Trump.
i thought you endorsed voting for trump to own the libs if they don't nominate bernie

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not actually what anybody has said, but you keep on defending Mother's e-honour three years after the fact.

I’m not defending anybody’s anything. Just, people reach stupid conclusions when they have to construct a reality out of a belief system that nobody could ever like Hillary and Hillary could never do anything good. gently caress, just pointing out that “actually maybe a 10,000 vote margin could be related to voter suppression” gets me called a loving Hillary fanboy.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Hillary's going to endorse Bernie because there's an unbroken brain out there that needs correction.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

I’m not defending anybody’s anything. Just, people reach stupid conclusions when they have to construct a reality out of a belief system that nobody could ever like Hillary and Hillary could never do anything good. gently caress, just pointing out that “actually maybe a 10,000 vote margin could be related to voter suppression” gets me called a loving Hillary fanboy.

Nobody's saying it's not related to voter suppression. Just that maybe the fact that nearly 90,000 ballots left the president spot blank has more to do with it.

e: I assume we're alluding to Michigan

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mellow Seas posted:

The fact that the election was ever even that close shows what a poo poo candidate she was.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skex posted:

he can't figure out how to connect with black voters in a way that convinces them that he's a superior choice to Biden or Harris.

https://twitter.com/RoseAnnDeMoro/status/1103469738796044288

Oops, my narrative!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

March 6, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LinYutang posted:

March 6, 2019

Feel free to find a more recent poll that disproves it! Have fun looking!

https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/1123205477695938561

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok, public service announcement, Hillary was not a good candidate and drastically underperformed. She was also a potential victim of voter suppression. Both things can be true. Ok good talk.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Judakel posted:

Not enough to cause her to lose the rust belt states.

The ones that she lost by a combined 70k?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

Ok, public service announcement, Hillary was not a good candidate and drastically underperformed. She was also a potential victim of voter suppression. Both things can be true. Ok good talk.
Good to get that cleared up with... *checks thread* nobody at all, because nobody was saying both things couldn't be true. Glad we're all finally on the same page though

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jaxyon posted:

The ones that she lost by a combined 70k?

Yes, the ones she failed to get peoole to turn out in.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Good to get that cleared up with... *checks thread* nobody at all, because nobody was saying both things couldn't be true. Glad we're all finally on the same page though

Some people expressed some difficulty with the idea of someone saying “B” while also believing “A”. Just lookin’ out!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mellow Seas posted:

Some people expressed some difficulty with the idea of someone saying “B” while also believing “A”. Just lookin’ out!

No, they didn't. It's this kind of disingenuous attempt to twist and misrepresent people's words that makes everyone think you're Hillfolk.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
E: Oh whatever gently caress it

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 30, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

E: Oh whatever gently caress it

This is it, chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1123352740363681792

Look at this moron.