Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do find it amusing that the proposed solution to getting into a gay marriage is to be a recluse instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I do find it amusing that the proposed solution to getting into a gay marriage is to be a recluse instead.

Speaking from personal experience, being a recluse still gets you into gay marriage. Nothing can protect you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Don't Mess-ey with my Feste

Babe Magnet posted:

rest in piss

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In Postal 3, when you hold down fire, you just automatically loving floor someone with a hook if they get too close, giving you space to back up and resuming shooting.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mierenneuker posted:

I have not played Dragon's Dogma, but I do know it has a jester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o&t=143s

There's also, like, a six year old girl. Who the system can ALSO decide is your One True Love.

For some reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Toxicoow/status/1122511511937781761

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oh my god why aren't these the default sound effects

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mortal kombat as done by Ed Edd and eddy

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In God of War, there are some runes you can have your Boy read as you explore. I missed one on the way into the area, and didn't scan it until I was about to leave, and Kratos and Atreus commented on its meaning in reference to what happened in the level. Just a cool level of detail.

"This writing talks about the eternal war for the light. Do you think that'll stop after what we did?"
"Not likely..."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the Thaumcraft mod for Minecraft, most of the entries in the thaumonomicon are from.a first person perspective, and a couple of them rag on stuff from previous versions. A notable example is on an entry about a magic glove it mentions how older mages used to use cumbersome wands (true of the previous vereion), and how a glove is a way more obvious choice :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digimon World: Data Squad features a battle system where your Digimon's emotions decide what moves are available to use. You can auto-select the move they want to use most of all, assuming you're too lazy to order them to do something specific. It's basically a really weird auto-battle function that keeps your Digimon's mood stable.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just a little thing I noticed in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass that I like - they never resort to having the Mass swear. It gets along perfectly well without crass language acting as a cheat code for "Bad Guy"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The gameplay/setting/visuals are great in the Arkham games but the writing is pretty bad.

The environments look great, but I really don't like how dirty all the characters are. It's like no-one has washed in a fortnight and has been sleeping in the street.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

The environments look great, but I really don't like how dirty all the characters are. It's like no-one has washed in a fortnight and has been sleeping in the street.

This worked for the first game because they were all escaped mental patients, in the later ones not so much yeah.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everybody in the Arkham games has that characteristic UE3 Sweaty Forehead. They really should use a facial cleanser.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Every Arkham game takes place in one night, do you honestly believe those people have time to shower?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's weird as there are a lot of villains you'd imagine would be somewhat vain, like Harvey Dent probably still showers, because he has a pretense of sanity that he keeps up half the time - he genuinely thinks the coin thing is a reasonable thing to do, and often is still thinking like a lawyer, so he'd probably still take care of the skin he does have. Also given the Joker's obsession with mythologizing himself you'd think he'd look after his hygiene too, he wants to look his best for his mugshots. He's probably spending any spare moment in front of a vanity mirror checking his makeup, probably more than Harley.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Also given the Joker's obsession with mythologizing himself you'd think he'd look after his hygiene too, he wants to look his best for his mugshots. He's probably spending any spare moment in front of a vanity mirror checking his makeup, probably more than Harley.

the joker straight up cut off his own face dude

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In some versions of the character yes, but in the Arkham games he didn't. He even had Clayface keep up appearances for him.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think a Batman game where all the villains have a slumber party and give each other makeovers and talk about batmans is needed in our times.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thinking of Asylum, my favorite thing is at the end, when you're going to the party, there's that huge crowd of dudes outside that you can attack if you want to. If you don't, they just applaud and welcome you, but if you start the fight, they give it their all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

the joker straight up cut off his own face dude

Sounds like an amazing way to get that blemish off one's face.

exquisite tea posted:

I think a Batman game where all the villains have a slumber party and give each other makeovers and talk about batmans is needed in our times.

Does the episode where a bunch of batman villains play poker count?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Then they capture batman, robin, and gordon and this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDAAHFU_HA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t that the premise of the Harley/Ivy spinoff?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
One of the main reasons I've kept checking in / loading the idle game Zombidle over time is that the developers consistently add new stuff (and QoL changes) that count for this thread, that I've probably mentioned before. But a new one that I found definitely counts:

Whenever you're offered a boost that would require an ad view (on mobile) or a secondary currency that I've gotten hundreds of without paying for (Steam), it used to be a random one. But at some point between the last time I decided to pull the game up and now, it's always customized to provide the best benefit for your situation. If you're burning through lower levels, it offers you the ability to cut down the amount of drudgery you have to sit around for. If you need currency, the game offers that as well.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leavemywife posted:

Thinking of Asylum, my favorite thing is at the end, when you're going to the party, there's that huge crowd of dudes outside that you can attack if you want to. If you don't, they just applaud and welcome you, but if you start the fight, they give it their all.

IIRC there's an achievement called Party Pooper for beating them all and another one whose name I can't remember for leaving them alone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

One of the main reasons I've kept checking in / loading the idle game Zombidle over time is that the developers consistently add new stuff (and QoL changes) that count for this thread, that I've probably mentioned before. But a new one that I found definitely counts:

Whenever you're offered a boost that would require an ad view (on mobile) or a secondary currency that I've gotten hundreds of without paying for (Steam), it used to be a random one. But at some point between the last time I decided to pull the game up and now, it's always customized to provide the best benefit for your situation. If you're burning through lower levels, it offers you the ability to cut down the amount of drudgery you have to sit around for. If you need currency, the game offers that as well.

Ad-based games are hell on earth.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

JPrime posted:

IIRC there's an achievement called Party Pooper for beating them all and another one whose name I can't remember for leaving them alone.

There isn’t one for leaving them alone. Batman does not leave any criminal scum conscious. :getin:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

What is the game, exactly? I like the character design and the humor reminds me of a webcomic, but is it a clicker-style game or are there additional mechanics?

It's also worth mentioning you can import saves that you have on your phone, if anyone is curious. That's a good feature.

Life is an ad-based game, when you think about it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Life is an ad-based game, when you think about it.

Not seeing a contradiction here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Phy posted:

If life is hell-on-earth, we must all be training for the real thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phy posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leavemywife posted:

That was a great fight. The later games have big brawls a-plenty but they were much more rare in Asylum.

I guess you can tell I attacked them. Didn't trust them! So I figured a pre-emptive strike was best.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

They recently updated the UI in Digimon Masters to make the artistic direction more consistent. A good mixture of light/dark blue, even changing the loading bar color.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've been replaying one of my favorite games, Knytt Underground, where the main character Mi has the ability to transform into a ball at will and bounce around, which is used for a lot of the platforming. Mi's quest is to ring six giant bells across the world for plot reasons. If you transform into a ball immediately after ringing one you don't actually hear yourself bouncing, and it's only as the sound of the bell fades that the the bounce gradually comes back. It's a nice little touch to emphasize how loud the bells are supposed to be.

The game's full of little details in its art and ambiance and atmosphere, just in general, and it makes exploring the ludicrously gigantic world a real joy. A real feel-good game.

Sway Grunt has a new favorite as of 18:19 on May 1, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Glare Seethe posted:

I've been replaying one of my favorite games, Knytt Underground, where the main character Mi has the ability to transform into a ball at will and bounce around, which is used for a lot of the platforming. Mi's quest is to ring six giant bells across the world for plot reasons. If you transform into a ball immediately after ringing one you don't actually hear yourself bouncing, and it's only as the sound of the bell fades that the the bounce gradually comes back. It's a nice little touch to emphasize how loud the bells are supposed to be.

The game's full of little details in its art and ambiance and atmosphere, just in general, and it makes exploring the ludicrously gigantic world a real joy. A real feel-good game.

I remember this series being pretty well known, but I've never heard of this entry. It also seems on the lower-end of popularity on Steam. That's a shame.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm playing Shenmue and decided to call the police first thing after my dad got murdered because duh. The game handwaves it away and Ryo just says he'd prefer to handle it himself, but you get an achievement called 'Appropriate Response'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I remember this series being pretty well known, but I've never heard of this entry. It also seems on the lower-end of popularity on Steam. That's a shame.

I bought it and liked it for what it was but hit a point where I couldn't really figure out where to go next and some movement upgrade or another was kind of annoying to use and I just put it down. I like the individual one-off style levels of Knytt Stories more ultimately.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm playing Shenmue and decided to call the police first thing after my dad got murdered because duh. The game handwaves it away and Ryo just says he'd prefer to handle it himself, but you get an achievement called 'Appropriate Response'.

That's pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Knytt Underground was one of the first games I got for PS Vita, and I really liked it. It's hard to do that whole sprawling, mostly empty, directionless Metroidvania thing well, but the atmosphere was so compelling. The dark, hellish areas near the bottom of the game world felt really creepy and oppressive for places where, iirc, there wasn't even anything that could actually hurt you. Pretty sure they hid at least one of the game's biggest secrets in one of those screens I really did not want to linger in.

Also I was really confused why the game got an M rating until quite a ways in. There's one character who swears a lot, and that's it.