Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Splinter posted:

At $3 you can't really go wrong.

You're absolutely right. Expectations suitably adjusted and off I go!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ogopogo posted:

The brief window of time where the weather is perfect in Vegas means as many backyard pizzas as possible.

Sourdough cheese

Sourdough cheese with pickled red onions and garlic

Hot drat. Sourdough is definitely my next project. What starter are you using, and who's instructions have you been following?

Also, what kind of cheese are you using? How are you spreading it on the pies? I love that melting pattern.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 31, 2019

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Heners_UK posted:

You're absolutely right. Expectations suitably adjusted and off I go!

$3.14, I get it!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

$3.14, I get it!

It's a play store purchase, I've bought homes with less consideration and handwringing

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

forbidden dialectics posted:

Hot drat. Sourdough is definitely my next project. What starter are you using, and who's instructions have you been following?

Also, what kind of cheese are you using? How are you spreading it on the pies? I love that melting pattern.

Thank you! My sourdough is a family starter we've had for a little over 120 years! It's just a simple feed of flour and water for my guy :)
I've been trying out different brands and styles of mozzarella, both pre-shredded and block which I shred myself. Just learning how different cheese and styles of pizzas work.
For me, cheese is kind of a less is more thing, rather than smothering the whole pie in a thick layer I like to just keep the spread uneven and not as heavy on the amount. Again, depends on the style of pie you want to make and what you like!

Here's a pepperoni and half pickled red onion from the other night -

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Heners_UK posted:

It's a play store purchase, I've bought homes with less consideration and handwringing

Nah what I meant is that $3.14 = pi. Like pie...like pizza pie. Get it?! It's funny!

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

My first real attempt at home pizza. Just basic cheese pizzas to learn the process. Recipe from the great Pizza Camp book.

Crust was a bit thicker than I was going for on my first try, still delicious.

Second try was better, not quite as thin as I like but I know it takes practice.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy practicing!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
drat, were those done in an oven?

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

drat, were those done in an oven?

Yep, just the crappy oven in my apartment. Preheated stone at 550 for about an hour on the bottom rack. Baked them for about 4 minutes before turning the broiler on for 6-7 minutes more.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

llibja posted:

My first real attempt at home pizza. Just basic cheese pizzas to learn the process. Recipe from the great Pizza Camp book.

Crust was a bit thicker than I was going for on my first try, still delicious.

Second try was better, not quite as thin as I like but I know it takes practice.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy practicing!

Obviously a bit much char on top from the broiler but goddamn son that's a beautiful pie. If I had the picture readily available my first pie became an accidental calzone because I botched the peel and it was flavorless because I didn't salt enough. This is leagues better than what I made.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah, props. It took me like half a dozen attempts just to get mine relatively circular and to not gently caress up the launch.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I’m looking at the Pizza Bible master dough recipe, and it says

”The Pizza Bible” posted:

Ingredients

453 grams flour (3 1/2 cups) with 13 to 14 percent protein, preferably All Trumps, Pendleton Flour Mills Power, Giusto's High Performer, King Arthur Sir Lancelot Unbleached Hi-Gluten, or Tony's California Artisan Flour

... and I’m wondering where the gently caress to get any of these flours in a non-ridiculous quantity? No stores in my area sell them, and everything I’m seeing on Amazon is big bags repackaged into smaller bags by random assholes, which is sketchy as gently caress.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

... and I’m wondering where the gently caress to get any of these flours in a non-ridiculous quantity? No stores in my area sell them, and everything I’m seeing on Amazon is big bags repackaged into smaller bags by random assholes, which is sketchy as gently caress.

The standard King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour from the grocery store will work just as well, they advertise it as 12.7% protein so it’s pretty much as good as you’ll get without buying 50lb bags.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ve gotten some from

https://www.bakersauthority.com

In repackaged 5 pound bags. You can also get three pound bags of King Arthur sir Lancelot directly from king Arthur’s website.

I honestly don’t notice a whole lot of difference between those and the King Arthur bread flour though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What about a good (preferably cheap) scale that measures in the hundredths of grams? I have a KD-8000 already, and I love it, but it only measures in whole grams.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I. M. Gei posted:

What about a good (preferably cheap) scale that measures in the hundredths of grams? I have a KD-8000 already, and I love it, but it only measures in whole grams.

ITS FOR MY HYDROPONIC TOMATO BUSINESS.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

If you really are trying to be precise and are in the US, then I would expect one of the grocery stores stocks at least one kind of King Arthur flour, so you should be able to put in an order with them. That way you don't have to pay for shipping. They may also take it as a pilot and try stocking it (without even saying so.)

Alternately, if there is a higher end grocery store near you that still won't order any on the list, you can get data sheets from at least King Arthur and compare with what they have--especially if they have a bakery department. You will probably have to talk to somebody over the phone during a time of day of their specific shift. Important considerations IIRC are ash content, gluten, and roughly which season of wheat used (summer vs. winter). You may get one not on that list that functionally is compatible. Or you might get two kinds and blend them with a boost of gluten or something.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
$20 discount on Original Baking Steels

EDIT: Fuckup

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 29, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

$20 OFF original price of baking steels. Hey we’re $89, now they are $69.

These are 1/4” thick.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
From a few days ago. Never underestimate a good Chorizo. Ask your butcher/deli to slice it really fine and it'll come through excellently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Scrimped on the cheez

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m having a horrible time with pepperoni on my pizza. If I grab a stick of it it’s really small in diameter and I don’t slice it thin enough.

I’ve tried putting it in paper towels and microwaving it but then it gets too crispy and burnt if I add it at the beginning of the cook. It’s like I’d have to throw it on at the end of the cook.

Any suggestions in what pepperoni to buy or cooking method? I do NY style mostly.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nwin posted:

I’m having a horrible time with pepperoni on my pizza. If I grab a stick of it it’s really small in diameter and I don’t slice it thin enough.

I’ve tried putting it in paper towels and microwaving it but then it gets too crispy and burnt if I add it at the beginning of the cook. It’s like I’d have to throw it on at the end of the cook.

Any suggestions in what pepperoni to buy or cooking method? I do NY style mostly.

When I slice a full stick of pepperoni for a pizza, I use a mandoline to get it thinner and more even. It's kind of awkward but I just eat any mistakes.

Out off curiosity, are you aiming for the kind of pepperoni that stays flat, or the kind that curls into a cup? I think for the curl, you need to combine a natural casing (that contracts when cooked) with the right proportion of diamater and thickness to achieve desired 'cuppiness'. I think you can even buy it pre-sliced, but I've never tried.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

plester1 posted:

When I slice a full stick of pepperoni for a pizza, I use a mandoline to get it thinner and more even. It's kind of awkward but I just eat any mistakes.

Out off curiosity, are you aiming for the kind of pepperoni that stays flat, or the kind that curls into a cup? I think for the curl, you need to combine a natural casing (that contracts when cooked) with the right proportion of diamater and thickness to achieve desired 'cuppiness'. I think you can even buy it pre-sliced, but I've never tried.

I’d like the flat pepperoni. Right now with the stick of boar’s head, it always cups.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nwin posted:

I’d like the flat pepperoni. Right now with the stick of boar’s head, it always cups.

Boar's head is a natural casing pepperoni and it's always gonna do the little cup thing (That's why it's great! that's the one I always go with, fwiw).

Most of the pre sliced ones won't naturally curl up, vs the stick pepperonis which almost will guaranteed.

SE has a pep taste test from way back that might be good:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09/taste-tests-sliced-pepperoni.html

(and stick version: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html )

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Yeah, that means you gotta get something without a natural casing, which is usually the cheap presliced stuff.

For NY style you can really go either way, but the little grease cups are definitely trendy: https://ny.eater.com/2019/2/8/18214007/roni-cup-and-char-pepperoni-pizza-nyc-trend-instagram-ace-endico-ezzo-restaurants

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
You could also put the pepperoni under the cheese.

The pizza place by my apt. does this and I think it's idiotic, but hey, they're still in business.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Human Tornada posted:

You could also put the pepperoni under the cheese.

My fiancee does this. She's wrong, but it works.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I might do a light layer of cheese on top to keep everything together.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've done under cheese when I want a sheet of pepperoni.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If you don’t want the pepperoni to cup, why not just cut a slit halfway across the circle like I do with fried bologna?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the cupping is from the casing contracting, so just score the edges in several places, preferable before you slice the pepperoni so you're not doing it on each piece.

Same thing works on ribeyes and pork chops, just score the fat band vertically in a few spots. Although I wouldn't put those on your pizza.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure the cupping is from the casing contracting, so just score the edges in several places, preferable before you slice the pepperoni so you're not doing it on each piece.

This is basically exactly what I said, except yeah doing it on the whole stick instead of individual pieces is way smarter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Same thing works on ribeyes and pork chops, just score the fat band vertically in a few spots. Although I wouldn't put those on your pizza.

Good call-I’ll try that next time.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ooooh some rare ribeye or flank steak, cooked separately and added to the pizza after cooking sounds tasty.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You can get a good sear on some steak in a brick oven. Just let the coals soak into the bricks towards the front for a bit, push them back with a hoe, puff away the ash with a pipe, and let er' rip.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Making the Pizza Bible New Haven clam pizza on my Big Green Egg tomorrow

Got my dough in the fridge

Gonna be a good day :getin:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Margherita pizza - Kenji's NY style dough after a 3-day cold ferment, baked at 550 on a stone.

Same pizza with torn basil.

Alfredo base, castelvetrano olives, shallots, prosciutto, grated pecorino.

Best homemade pizzas yet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Margherita pizza - Kenji's NY style dough after a 3-day cold ferment, baked at 550 on a stone.

Same pizza with torn basil.

Alfredo base, castelvetrano olives, shallots, prosciutto, grated pecorino.

Best homemade pizzas yet.

Holy gently caress.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
big and beautiful :biglips: sourdough cheese and pepperoni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ogopogo posted:

big and beautiful :biglips: sourdough cheese and pepperoni.

God drat, beautiful. The bottom one especially reminds me of a classic New Haven pie from Pepe's or Sally's. Man I miss New England