Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

The final shot of Game of Thrones:

The Winterfell castle, slowly being rebuilt with the snow melted and grass starting to grow. It pulls back along the last remains of the battlefield, now mostly just rubble and bones among the grass. The pullback stops on a familiar looking necklace, its red jewel still glowing. A hand grabs the necklace, the hand is revealed to belong to Syrio Forel, who changes face into Jaqen H'ghar, and tosses an assassins coin in it's place. "A girl did well."

Alternate version:
it pulls back to Syrio Forel, who then talks into a throat mike hidden under his collar: "All the events have gone as intended. Congratulations everyone, Westeros World is now ready for release."

I have been enjoying hatewatching this show for the last few seasons, I am a little sad to see it go, but man is it easy to make fun of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I would much rather the series-ending crossover be with Veep, as we reveal the adult face of Craster's baby; Jonah Ryan

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Its Coke posted:

Wait is that thing about the actors true

It's why Bronn leaves the Dragonpit before Cersei gets there.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think the point now is we're in the GoT equivalent of the Scouring of the Shire, a part of LotR that GRRM has outright said he finds brilliant.

The Great Evil has been defeated and now the characters who sacrificed so much to save the world have to clean up the lesser, more petty evils.

Sauron did things. He was the main plot.

It would be like if Lord of the Rings spent 2.5 books/movies dealing with the shire problem but with dire warnings that the greater threat is Sauron, who then dies anticlimactically before he gets to do anything. And then they go back to the Scouring of the Shire.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ague Proof posted:

It's why Bronn leaves the Dragonpit before Cersei gets there.

Sauron did things. He was the main plot.

It would be like if Lord of the Rings spent 2.5 books/movies dealing with the shire problem but with dire warnings that the greater threat is Sauron, who then dies anticlimactically before he gets to do anything. And then they go back to the Scouring of the Shire.

Trope: subverted.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
They wanted to go with Arya cause it was unexpected.

FINE.

I actually don't have a problem with that.

The problem comes when said victory comes at no sacrifice at all. Everyone who had outlived their character arc died. Everyone who still had an ongoing arc or was too high up on the popularity tables lived.

You start playing the Piano of Doom and you show Tyrion and Sansa surrounded silently agreeing to sudoku. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime pressed against the wall by the zombies. CUT. Tyrion and Sansa actually had a change of heart and escaped from the shopping mall on a helicopter. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime are still getting teabagged. CUT. Tormund is standing on a pile of zombies he singlehandledly killed. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime are still ok guys.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lezard_valeth posted:

They wanted to go with Arya cause it was unexpected.

FINE.

I actually don't have a problem with that.

The problem comes when said victory comes at no sacrifice at all. Everyone who had outlived their character arc died. Everyone who still had an ongoing arc or was too high up on the popularity tables lived.

You start playing the Piano of Doom and you show Tyrion and Sansa surrounded silently agreeing to sudoku. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime pressed against the wall by the zombies. CUT. Tyrion and Sansa actually had a change of heart and escaped from the shopping mall on a helicopter. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime are still getting teabagged. CUT. Tormund is standing on a pile of zombies he singlehandledly killed. CUT. Brienne, Pod and Jaime are still ok guys.

But Brienne, Sam, and Greyworm didn't die. Especially Brienne, she should have been dead as gently caress after getting knighted.

Podrick, Gendry and the Vale commander could also have died for more secondary character death.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Brienne is super popular. She is the one secondary character I'm 100% sure will survive.

Sam will survive by virtue of Jon not having anyone else to talk to if he dies

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

If there's one character who outlived his arc, it's Bran and he's still alive.

Dude's entire existence is to opposes an apparently unstoppable evil that's been stopped for good by a single stab to the dick. The gently caress does he have left to contribute to the story?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
About as much as Bronn did by the time the book pointedly ejected him from the story while the series didn't.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Remind me again, why the heck did Bronn decide to get involved with the whole Dorne plot if by that point he already had a castle and his fat lady?

e: I know the answer is "he was popular" but what instory excuse does Jaime use? Did he promise him a bigger castle?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They had to replace Payne with someone and Bronn got the draft

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lezard_valeth posted:

Remind me again, why the heck did Bronn decide to get involved with the whole Dorne plot if by that point he already had a castle and his fat lady?

e: I know the answer is "he was popular" but what instory excuse does Jaime use? Did he promise him a bigger castle?

Yes but I think he also threatened to take his current castle if he didn't go along. It was definitely a dickmove on Jaime's part.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If there's one character who outlived his arc, it's Bran and he's still alive.

Dude's entire existence is to opposes an apparently unstoppable evil that's been stopped for good by a single stab to the dick. The gently caress does he have left to contribute to the story?

He's the repository of human memories or whatever. He can't die! There must always be a 3 eyed raven to peep on you.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gendry can't die. Bro needs to take the throne. Also:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Vladimir_furdik/status/1122435697636409344

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yeah D&D forgot all about this years ago.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah D&D forgot all about this years ago.

That's the dude who played the Night King, so just think of it as confirmation that they won't be doing a cool thing.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Well, the name is "Game of Thrones" not Game of Throne. Bran is playing to win the throne at the Heart of Winter.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Nutsack Rangoon posted:

that will be explored in HBO's prequel show. make sure to renew your subscription.

I did not know that the prequel was a thing. That explains so much.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That's the dude who played the Night King, so just think of it as confirmation that they won't be doing a cool thing.

Exactly. Remember when at the end of season 3 or 4 Michelle Fairley posted a picture of a heart made of stone on her twitter?

Yeah, hold on to that hope guys, any day now

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Cool idea I had: characters' armor and clothing being made into Dark Souls items that give vague and incomplete but evocative descriptions of who they belonged to. Like Brienne's gauntlets would say "The Maid of Tarth shunned delicate things for warfare and these large, well reinforced gauntlets are proof of her tastes."

It also works because some characters' names are already Soulsian like Bronze Yohn, or at least their titles are like The Kingslayer

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

Exactly. Remember when at the end of season 3 or 4 Michelle Fairley posted a picture of a heart made of stone on her twitter?

Yeah, hold on to that hope guys, any day now

Wasn't that Lena Headey?

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Anonymous John posted:

Wasn't that Lena Headey?

Yeah, it was Lena Headey.
https://www.instagram.com/p/nEeNM0PA3L/?hl=en

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Anonymous John posted:

Wasn't that Lena Headey?

Oh yeah my bad. It was so long ago I remembered it as Fairley doing it cause, well, that would have made sense :v

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Definitely trolling. The next two episodes will be complete bullshit then we get another battle and the end.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But Brienne, Sam, and Greyworm didn't die. Especially Brienne, she should have been dead as gently caress after getting knighted.

Podrick, Gendry and the Vale commander could also have died for more secondary character death.
On the other hand, turns out the NK/White Walker plot line wasn't poo poo so why spend those deaths now? Rather have her cut down by some zombies or die in combat with The Mountain?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

It would own if GRRM wrote a specific and superviolent swerve after convincing everyone there show has been deballed. They've actually laid the groundwork for it perfectly as everyone expects a table set for the finale

Edit: the behind the episode featurette is just GRRM swinging a broken whiskey bottle at the camera and screaming "are you not entertained?!"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 1, 2019

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

It would own if GRMM wrote a specific and superviolent swerve after convincing everyone there show has been deballed. They've actually laid the groundwork for it perfectly as everyone expects a table set for the finale
It would be pretty spectacular if they lulled everyone into another episode of characters talking while they march south and they just get brutally and spectacularly ambushed by the Golden Company. Brienne and Tormund having another one of their comedy scenes and then a scorpion bolt pins both of them together.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Desiderata posted:

It would really have been more Game of Thrones, to in that climatic pause moment, as the Night King and bran look at eachother, instead of drawing his sword, in a voice the sound of cracking ice he said something along the lines of:

'You have forgotten the pact we made with your namesake ancestor Brandon 'The Builder', you have allowed men beyond our wall. Worse, you brought dragon fire to our lands. We have now returned them all to you. Do not break our pact again. Ensure no men enter our lands.'

And with that twirled and left, as the wights collapse around them, left for the humans to bury. It turns out that the ice monsters are more trustworthy and easier to negotiate with than Cersi, and they were upholding ancient promises long forgotten. That the magical ice wall, belonged to the magical ice people the whole time. That the institution that was the Nights-Watch were meant to carry out half remembered duty to kill those men who wander beyond the wall was part of an ancient bargain, and that Nights Watch let things get out of hand and had unknowingly been facing the wrong way the whole series. That the wildlings, and the three eyed raven, and eventually the Nights Watch and Jon and his expedition were the transgressors here, and the Night King's actions punitive.

Then again: while thematically and historically appropriate, in the modern political climate: 'here is a wall, keep off our lands, you can't settle here', is probably not a healthy message to send out moral-wise.

Edit: having said that, the current - 'we let our border defences down and then an unstoppable horde of evil swept through' is not a good moral either. Maybe with some other choice of wording, better than mine above, this 2010 style ending could have made it clear that 'white' walkers performing ethinc cleansing and punitive strikes is horrible and costly versus, just talking to The Other(s) and sharing the land.

That would have been a great thing to happen even though I have no idea how you would film it in a way that felt satisfying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arya being the one to kill the Night's King is fine ultimately, it's not a satisfying pay-off narratively for Jon at all but that's by the by, he'll do other stuff I suppose.

It's just entirely the way it goes down is just so bad. Just have some fighting happen, make it a co-operative effort, have Theon go down fighting to give Arya the shot she gets, have Brienne, Pod and Jaime holding off against the white walkers at the entry to the wood, the ones who stood there and let Arya just run past, have Bran die so they can't consult Google for "How to kill Cersei" but the NK is killed too so he achieved what he needed to and can die as happy as Wikipedia can be.

Arya teleporting in and just shanking the dude to no consequence is just bad. It subverts expectations of being enjoyable but that's all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Frog Act posted:

the writers have completely abandoned, or forgotten, that things like demographics and physical distance exist in a medieval world.

I mean people keep saying stuff like this as if "the writers" are keeping a good show from being made but I think you'll find that "the viewers" largely don't care and probably 99% of everyone who watched this episode loved it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've been trying to think back to when Jon had a decisive victory, and the only example I can think of is when he was training against other Watchers who had never picked up a sword before. Every other time someone bails him out at the last second. He was above average in sword-fighting but not legendary, he was just always in the wrong place at the right time

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

RealFoxy posted:

I've been trying to think back to when Jon had a decisive victory, and the only example I can think of is when he was training against other Watchers who had never picked up a sword before. Every other time someone bails him out at the last second. He was above average in sword-fighting but not legendary, he was just always in the wrong place at the right time

i mean he had to be saved a bunch of times but when he fights ramsey 1 v 1 it's a completely one sided, vicious beat down

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

frenton posted:

i mean he had to be saved a bunch of times but when he fights ramsey 1 v 1 it's a completely one sided, vicious beat down
TBF Ramsey was always just a sneaky dude who usually relied on people around him or fear to get what he wanted, it's not like he was ever portrayed as a great warrior anywhere

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

precision posted:

I mean people keep saying stuff like this as if "the writers" are keeping a good show from being made but I think you'll find that "the viewers" largely don't care and probably 99% of everyone who watched this episode loved it.

You could replace literally every scene in the entire second half of the series with either Tyrion quipping sarcastically about wine and whores or Arya flipping out and murdering extras with ninja superpowers and “the viewers” would still love it to death.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Preston's vid makes me very happy

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

esperterra posted:

Preston's vid makes me very happy

Did he lose his poo poo and ramble about how "genius mastermind gurm let his brain be preserved for posteriority" would have never written this poo poo?

cause maybe it's time he rereads the last book

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cheese posted:

It would be pretty spectacular if they lulled everyone into another episode of characters talking while they march south and they just get brutally and spectacularly ambushed by the Golden Company. Brienne and Tormund having another one of their comedy scenes and then a scorpion bolt pins both of them together.

They'll be saved by Yara. Cersei will repent or turn somehow. Euron will die terribly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Did he lose his poo poo and ramble about how "genius mastermind gurm let his brain be preserved for posteriority" would have never written this poo poo?

Somewhat amazingly, he actually criticised the books a little in this year's videos.

Only to say sometimes they have bad lines too but you know, it's something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lezard_valeth posted:

nah preston's videos for the show tend to judge the show on its own inconsistencies and leave the book out of it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

It would own if GRRM wrote a specific and superviolent swerve after convincing everyone there show has been deballed. They've actually laid the groundwork for it perfectly as everyone expects a table set for the finale

Edit: the behind the episode featurette is just GRRM swinging a broken whiskey bottle at the camera and screaming "are you not entertained?!"

There is one specific issue with your idea. See if you can spot it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The gentleman prefers rum?

Nah, an Elder Grrm only gets -5 to his writing skill for novels. He still write plenty, just not pages.