Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait what the gently caress is this actually Griffin Neumann? I thought they were doing a bit but then everyone talked at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Serf posted:

he's been on a ton of podcasts i listen to lately and he's been fantastic on all of them. i might have to listen to his podcast now

blank check rules. of the podcasts, its one of the best

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Serf posted:

he's been on a ton of podcasts i listen to lately and he's been fantastic on all of them. i might have to listen to his podcast now

Blank Check is a hell of a pro listen.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The opening of this episode was specifically made to be animated in its entirety by Louie Zong and no one can convince me otherwise

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was literally thinking that.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
the way justin launched into We're Off To See The Lizard and griffin's reaction to it was perfect

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How the gently caress did Griffin know I was thinking of Fazoli's

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

drat I wanna know what he said

I literally don't remember them ever not being exclusive except one very early episode they joked about furries and immediately apologized the next episode.

It was this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5Wv-4xW0AArXtw.png

Not great, I'm glad to see a good example of an apology for something like this finally, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pylons posted:

It was this:

Not great, I'm glad to see a good example of an apology for something like this finally, though.

not great yeah but i cant really bring myself to get mad about something that was a full freakin decade ago

obviously still a good thing he apologized but boy it's just another thing highlighting how hosed it is how long your internet history sticks around. like, what were people even doing poking around at his timeline back then? like yeah it's all public but it still feels kinda, weirdly invasive? idk

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Pylons posted:

It was this:

Seen a couple tweets suggesting there was one about Trans people as well

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha jesus.

Well I was probably a dumb rear end in a top hat in 2009 too, but not that dumb. I have a few years on Trav though. I was definitely that dumb of an rear end in a top hat in 2002

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

justin literally says "faggy" in one of the early bonus episodes, they used to be real comedy manchildren at the start of the show. theres a reason they tell people not to start from the beginning

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think the reason the McElroys get some slack on past shittiness is that you get the sense that their contrition is sincere and they actually care about people more than just preserving their brand. That’s my hope anyway.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pylons posted:

It was this:

Yikes. I mean, not terrible, but not a good look either.

On the other hand some of their fans are so broke brained they ban discussion of a bit from the show.

For what it's worth, yes, glass shark do love fat kid.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m not paying any attention at all to the social media surrounding this, are people being rational or are they freaking out and calling for Travis to be canceled?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2009. I was a dumbass back then too and cringe at some of my old AIM messages. And yes I was still using AIM in 2009.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The 7th Guest posted:

justin literally says "faggy" in one of the early bonus episodes, they used to be real comedy manchildren at the start of the show. theres a reason they tell people not to start from the beginning

Yeah, that’s really shocking every time I hear it! I can’t believe they haven’t taken that down or edited it.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’m not paying any attention at all to the social media surrounding this, are people being rational or are they freaking out and calling for Travis to be canceled?

Me either but knowing the brothers I imagine Travis issued this policy and retraction after one or maybe two people brought it to his attention.

EDIT: At the end of the episode they talk about Beanjuice one last time with the background music, then Griffin starts thanking John Roderick so the music turns off, then it comes back on half a second later when Griffin throws in “big Beanjuice fan.” Nice touch.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 30, 2019

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Colonel Whitey posted:

I dipped in for a sec when he first posted. It's mostly deep gratitude and support, with a couple people saying that it's premature to accept an apology without actually knowing what was said and others saying that only those who were targeted have a right to accept or reject an apology (referring to a [non-existent?] transphobic comment). Nothing too overreactive from what I saw.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The first ~15 minutes or so of this episode are the closest I've come to a podcast-induced panic attack in a long time.

E: Jimmy Buffett vaping feels like some weird almost-singularity for MBMBaM

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 30, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Because we've seen the brothers grow a lot over the years, apologies like this do feel genuine.

It's not like those turdburgers that get caught doing something gross and then try to convince us they only did it because of Ambien or whatever.

Serf
May 5, 2011

a reasonable person could look at travis' old tweets and his new tweets and easily conclude "oh, this person has changed"

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Speaking of old Travis McElroy stuff, check out this brentalfloss antique from 2011.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Speaking of old Travis McElroy stuff, check out this brentalfloss antique from 2011.

Oh no

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I actually talked to Brent a bit a while ago about his old stuff. He's genuinely embarrassed by it but isn't trying to play like it never happened. Unless something drastic happens, he intend to keep everything up because he doesn't want people to think he's always been the person he is today.

As far as I'm concerned, that's an impressive stance to take in the age of cancel culture.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I hope he still doesn't associate with Andrew Dobson. That guy is a dingus last I checked.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Good Listener posted:

I hope he still doesn't associate with Andrew Dobson. That guy is a dingus last I checked.

Yeah, talk about an inflated ego.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tears In A Vial posted:

Seen a couple tweets suggesting there was one about Trans people as well

I'm not going back to check all their old episodes, but I seem to remember a really old (possibly pre-Max Fun?) episode had a transphobic comment, or someone used the word 'tranny' or whatever.

That and the tweet are honestly pretty tame for three late-oughts Appalachian white boys in their 20s who grew up Southern Baptist.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Just want to point out that Justin recently said, completely off-handedly and non-performatively, that bubble baths aren't good for "young children with vaginas."

Like, I know you don't get secret points for what's in your heart, but these guys have done the work in their evolution.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Haven't they even admitted themselves that they've grown up a lot basically thanks to feedback from fans and whatnot? Like, it's no mystery that they might've sucked poo poo 10 years ago or whatever, especially with Justin being in the video game news business, but time changes everyone, and they've paid attention instead of ignoring them.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea there's a big difference when the person's old tweets are lovely and are nothing like the person who exists today when you compare it to a shithead whose tweets are the same today as they were 10 years ago.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The Modern Leper posted:

Just want to point out that Justin recently said, completely off-handedly and non-performatively, that bubble baths aren't good for "young children with vaginas."

Like, I know you don't get secret points for what's in your heart, but these guys have done the work in their evolution.

He and Sydnee have been doing that a lot on Sawbones, it's nice

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Whenever someone complains about how you can't be crude or gonzo in comedy because of the :siren: SJW Fun Police :siren: I want to point them toward the McElroys. Their entire career is proof that you can make funny "clean" jokes without bowdlerization.

peachpear
Apr 28, 2019
It seems like even people on twitter are being understanding of the apology, which kinda shows that the brothers do have a history of admitting their mistakes and actively trying to improve themselves.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

peachpear posted:

It seems like even people on twitter are being understanding of the apology, which kinda shows that the brothers do have a history of admitting their mistakes and actively trying to improve themselves.

We even have an instance of Travis running directly up to an untoward joke, and then admitting that he wasn't comfortable making it.
https://youtu.be/joOXH2AzTw0

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

Whenever someone complains about how you can't be crude or gonzo in comedy because of the :siren: SJW Fun Police :siren: I want to point them toward the McElroys. Their entire career is proof that you can make funny "clean" jokes without bowdlerization.

Their comedy doesn't cover all of good comedy. There's a way to be vulgar and funny, it's all about timing and context.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

um excuse me posted:

Their comedy doesn't cover all of good comedy. There's a way to be vulgar and funny, it's all about timing and context.

That's what I meant, their comedy includes sex and drugs and bodily excretions and the Saw franchise but in a "clean" (sanitized by the alleged Fun Police) way.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I should be more specific. It's hard to describe making fun of a specific subset of people while not being offensive without the context of a comedy show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

um excuse me posted:

I guess I should be more specific. It's hard to describe making fun of a specific subset of people while not being offensive without the context of a comedy show.

maybe it's hard to describe what's good about making fun of marginalized groups because it isn't actually a good thing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
and it's not like the boys haven't punched on occasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

maybe it's hard to describe what's good about making fun of marginalized groups because it isn't actually a good thing

How did you turn "a subset of people" into "marginalized groups"?