Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Close support variant used in the Spanish Civil War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

A Macross Valkyrie kit from Wave. Much like gunpla construction. I'm strapped for time so until I can do more painting I just did a panel line wash which frankly makes any model look twice as good and is really easy to do.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The Swamp Ghost is coming along nicely. I've worked my way aft on the interior and now I'm to the point where I have to address the belly turret. The first 112 or so B-17Es used an incredibly awkward remotely-operated belly turret instead of the traditional ball turret. The latter is all that's included with the kit, so I'm left to do some extensive creative scratch building. This site covers the topic pretty well and has been a great resource for external photos.

This pic, is pretty much all I have going for me with respect to the interior work.

I ended up doing some surgery on the unneeded chin turret and will use that as a base for the new belly turret.

A promising start, anyway.

I've also got the engines and the right wing in progress too. Three of the four engines need detail painting and weathering, and the wing needs scribing and re-riveting.

The size of this thing is just ridiculous.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scut posted:

A Macross Valkyrie kit from Wave. Much like gunpla construction. I'm strapped for time so until I can do more painting I just did a panel line wash which frankly makes any model look twice as good and is really easy to do.

I see someone's a leg man.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

I see someone's a leg man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arquinsiel posted:

Close support variant used in the Spanish Civil War?

Bullshit fantasy variant so I can try out converting stuff one step at a time and never have to worry about historical accuracy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

grassy gnoll posted:

Bullshit fantasy variant so I can try out converting stuff one step at a time and never have to worry about historical accuracy.
Well you did a good enough job making it look plausible that I think you'll be okay.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Bent my new 0.25mm needle ten minutes after getting it, yay!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Did it have a short drop and a sudden stop?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did it have a short drop and a sudden stop?

An even more embarrassing newbie move - trying to reinsert it into the body without having everything else in and lined up.

Ordered a new one and decided to practice more on my crappy Harbor Freight brush first lol

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ouch. What airbrush is it that you bent the tip like that? Was the nozzle/cap screwed on properly?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ouch. What airbrush is it that you bent the tip like that? Was the nozzle/cap screwed on properly?

Paasche VSR90. Not entirely sure, it's a used brush. I ordered two new needle kits and practiced cleaning and assembly on the bigger old needle that came with it this afternoon. Got it back together without bending that needle but not getting consistent flow. I suspect the needle and tip may be mismatched?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

It's possible you got the nozzles mixed up. I was cursing my airbrush recently because I was 100% convinced that the fineline air cap I bought months ago was for my 0.2 needle but kept getting horrible inconsistent spray and blockages. Only when I went back and checked the receipt on my email it was for the 0.4 needle :downs:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's possible you got the nozzles mixed up. I was cursing my airbrush recently because I was 100% convinced that the fineline air cap I bought months ago was for my 0.2 needle but kept getting horrible inconsistent spray and blockages. Only when I went back and checked the receipt on my email it was for the 0.4 needle :downs:

That's exactly why I ordered two complete needle/nozzle/air cap assemblies from Paasche lol

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SyHopeful posted:

Bent my new 0.25mm needle ten minutes after getting it, yay!

How bad did you bend it? it might be possible to roll out the bend

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SyHopeful posted:

That's exactly why I ordered two complete needle/nozzle/air cap assemblies from Paasche lol

This didn't stop me from putting a 0.3 mm needle into a 0.25 mm nozzle :downs:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

This didn't stop me from putting a 0.3 mm needle into a 0.25 mm nozzle :downs:

But enough about my Saturday night.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

Yeah, I've bent just about every needle I've ever had, but was able to roll out the bent tip on all of them will no long term ill effects to the airbrushes performance.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Symetrique posted:

On all three axes womp womp

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not super interesting but I've been doing a bunch of mediocre ballasting. It's so much work, but it's nice to get done. Well "done", theres tons of stray rocks I need to clean up and some places that didn't glue down properly and I'll need to fill :(

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I dont understand trains, but I like your drawing of a bridge in the second pic!

This has become a patience and self control build. I am proud of myself for not throwing it at the wall.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

SyHopeful posted:

On all three axes womp womp

Are you sure you ordered a needle and not a dried spaghetti strand?

Symetrique posted:

I dont understand trains, but I like your drawing of a bridge in the second pic!

This has become a patience and self control build. I am proud of myself for not throwing it at the wall.

Is it the rigging? It looks a drat site bigger than that a5m4!

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Symetrique posted:

This is why I shake my head at you when you link me biplanes and i'm all "uhhh, i wanna do jets and ww2 props"

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

:rip: to your blood pressure but that fuselage mascot is cooooool as fuuuuck.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is it the rigging? It looks a drat site bigger than that a5m4!

No, the rigging is the easiest part. The kit has some alignment issues during fuselage and lower wing construction that can come back and complicate things in the future. I'm not sure whats up with the plastic on this kit either. A lot of the small finicky pieces (pipes and struts) had pretty bad molding and required cleanup, but they were also incredibly fragile even when trying to be as gentle as possible. Like I broke two small pieces while cutting them from the sprue. Once with Tamiya's extra sharp cutters, and another time when I thought I'd learned my lesson and tried to use a razor saw.

Two of the cabane struts were also angled too far forward, which hosed with the wing alignment the first time I test fit this thing.

I think I'm gonna shelve this kit for a bit and come back later and redo the cabane struts with brass, which will give a much more secure hold.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I completed my first model airplane, the Tamiya F4F Wildcat. It's not perfect, but I like the way it came out!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Love the weathering around the gun ports, really well done. The engine cowling seems a shade lighter than the rest of the plane, is that a trick of the light?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Looks great, what coating did you finish with? This is the exact kind of sheen I want to get.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

Love the weathering around the gun ports, really well done. The engine cowling seems a shade lighter than the rest of the plane, is that a trick of the light?

Yeah, I think its just the lighting since I gave the whole plane the same wash

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks great, what coating did you finish with? This is the exact kind of sheen I want to get.

Several layers of Vallejo Gloss Varnish with slightly fewer layers of Vallejo Matte Varnish

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I'm finally making the plunge into airbrushing, and would like to make sure I'm doing this right with my layering before I invest in a whole bunch of stuff.

Using Gaia Colors because those are my favorite looking paints.

Mr Hobby primer,
Gaia Paints (lacquer)
Gaia Gloss Clearcoat (lacquer)
Decals and enamel panel lining.
Gaia Matte Clearcoat (lacquer)
Drybrushing (lacquer), pigments, weathering washes (enamels?)

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I completed my first model airplane, the Tamiya F4F Wildcat. It's not perfect, but I like the way it came out!

Really nice job on your first plane!

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm finally making the plunge into airbrushing, and would like to make sure I'm doing this right with my layering before I invest in a whole bunch of stuff.

Using Gaia Colors because those are my favorite looking paints.

Which thinner are you using?

Some of these clearcoats may be unnecessary. If you're using a leveling thinner (either Mr Leveling thinner or a mix of Gaia's thinner/retarder), your initial paint layer may be smooth enough that decals can go on without clear. Weathering washes are very similar to enamel panel lining, and will end up covering any prior lining that you did. You also wouldn't want to use it over a matte surface, since it would be much more difficult to remove.

I'd switch it up like this

quote:

Mr Hobby primer,
Gaia Paints (lacquer)
(Gloss clear, depending on surface texture)
Decals
Gaia Gloss Clearcoat (lacquer)
enamel panel lining/washes.
Drybrushing (lacquer), pigments, oil weathering

You want to drop the final matte coat entirely. Any post-weathering coat will pretty much mute any weathering you did, especially pigments. Part of what makes weathering pop is the contrast between the various weathering techniques and the surface of the model.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Symetrique posted:

You want to drop the final matte coat entirely. Any post-weathering coat will pretty much mute any weathering you did, especially pigments. Part of what makes weathering pop is the contrast between the various weathering techniques and the surface of the model.

I'm going to be using gaia's thinner with the leveler in it (moderate i believe?) and then mr hobby's weathering thinner for their mr weathering. And whatever Gaia wants for their metallics since it's slightly different than their normal lacquers I believe, especially the real feel ones.
I do want to keep the final matte coat, as I'm going for very muted weathering. Make it look used but well maintained. Deployed a few times but repainted more or less for all the serious wear. Also I'm uh, probably gonna be posing and playing with it some(it's a gunpla) so I want it to be well protected. :shobon:

Right now it's looking like:

Mr Hobby primer,
Gaia Paints
Gaia Gloss clear
Decals
enamel panel lining (no washes)
Gaia Matte clear
Drybrushing (Mr. Hobby and Gaia), pigments, oil weathering
Gaia Matte Clearcoat

This seem alright? I put the decals and panel lining together bc they're not gonna be running into eachother much and I've decided I don't really wanna do washes there.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I'm going to be using gaia's thinner with the leveler in it (moderate i believe?) and then mr hobby's weathering thinner for their mr weathering. And whatever Gaia wants for their metallics since it's slightly different than their normal lacquers I believe, especially the real feel ones.
I do want to keep the final matte coat, as I'm going for very muted weathering. Make it look used but well maintained. Deployed a few times but repainted more or less for all the serious wear. Also I'm uh, probably gonna be posing and playing with it some(it's a gunpla) so I want it to be well protected. :shobon:

In that case, you should be good. A lot of this comes down to preference, so you'll probably tweak that order after your first build. The one thing I'd be a little bit wary of and would recommend that you test out first is the real feel metallics, and how they react with the Mr Hobby weathering stuff. The Mr Weathering products are mineral spirit based I think, so other than the real feel metallics, they shouldn't have a bad reaction to any other part of your build. Will you be using decal setting products?

I'd like to hear about your experience with the metallic thinner though, I haven't seen anyone actually use it yet.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Symetrique posted:

In that case, you should be good. A lot of this comes down to preference, so you'll probably tweak that order after your first build. The one thing I'd be a little bit wary of and would recommend that you test out first is the real feel metallics, and how they react with the Mr Hobby weathering stuff. The Mr Weathering products are mineral spirit based I think, so other than the real feel metallics, they shouldn't have a bad reaction to any other part of your build. Will you be using decal setting products?

I'd like to hear about your experience with the metallic thinner though, I haven't seen anyone actually use it yet.

Yeah, Mr Softener and Mr Setter.
I've not seen anything on the real feel metallics online, though there's likely plenty on non-english resources. So I'll be uploading impressions and results and such just so other people know what's going on.

edit: or not as I guess the shop I was using sold out of them all. :sigh:

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 6, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The Bandai 1/72 X-wing is a pretty decent model that slaps together in just a few hours, with decals squeezed out of the Devil's rear end in a top hat itself.

On an unrelated note, I was hoping for recommendations for a decal softener that's got a little more kick to it than Microsol.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Im back to working on my Thunder Model Bergepanzer 38t, and Im at the stage of fitting the tracks before I add the fenders. I want to paint the tracks and wheels seperate, but because the fit is quite loose when dry fitted the wheels would fall of if I pick the whole thing up.

My solution is to glue tiny magnets to the wheels and the axles. Now when they are dry fitted, the wheels stay firmly in place and square, but can still be removed easily to paint.

I got the magnets from Aliexpress for just a few bucks for 50 1x1mm magnets.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Phi230 posted:

That's fantastic! I swear, I can't do planes for poo poo.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Right now it's looking like:

Mr Hobby primer,
Gaia Paints
Gaia Gloss clear
Decals
enamel panel lining (no washes)
Gaia Matte clear
Drybrushing (Mr. Hobby and Gaia), pigments, oil weathering
Gaia Matte Clearcoat

This seem alright? I put the decals and panel lining together bc they're not gonna be running into eachother much and I've decided I don't really wanna do washes there.

I like to add a little of the basecoat color to the post-decal clearcoat. Just enough to make it the paint look cloudy when it is in the mixing cup. That helps a lot to slightly blend the decals to match the overall color scheme better so they don't stick out like a sore thumb. Here is where I learned that trick. His technique is a bit different in that the tint is a very thinned enamel and I kill two birds with one stone by just tinting the clearcoat (and using lacquers). The concept is more important than the technique or medium.

I haven't had good luck drybrushing lacquers. Mainly because they dry too fast. I've had much better luck with acrylics. I use Vallejo Model Color and Model Air paints - not because they are the best, but because that's what I have. If the acrylics are drying too fast during the drybrush, a little bit of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver (basically a retarder) helps with that. Good luck!

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 8, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

I like to add a little of the basecoat color to the post-decal clearcoat. Just enough to make it the paint look cloudy when it is in the mixing cup. That helps a lot to slightly blend the decals to match the overall color scheme better so they don't stick out like a sore thumb. Here is where I learned that trick.

I haven't had good luck drybrushing lacquers. Mainly because they dry too fast. I've had much better luck with acrylics. I use Vallejo Model Color and Model Air paints - not because they are the best, but because that's what I have. If the acrylics are drying too fast during the drybrush, a little bit of Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver (basically a retarder) helps with that. Good luck!

This is fantastic advice, thank you!
I'm planning on using enamels now actually, that seems to be the best option out of what's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SkunkDuster posted:

I like to add a little of the basecoat color to the post-decal clearcoat. Just enough to make it the paint look cloudy when it is in the mixing cup. That helps a lot to slightly blend the decals to match the overall color scheme better so they don't stick out like a sore thumb. Here is where I learned that trick. His technique is a bit different in that the tint is a very thinned enamel and I kill two birds with one stone by just tinting the clearcoat (and using lacquers). The concept is more important than the technique or medium.

Nice link! Seems like thats a pretty good alternative to oil dot rendering