Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cessna posted:

That said, this inherently affects game balance. And in fairness such considerations are beyond the scope of the decisions made by a company commander anyway.

My only point in bringing this up isn't to try to model everything, instead, it is to point out how wargames often paint an unrealistic and inaccurate picture of things due to the fact that they're games.

Exactly. Just look how wargames try to model tank reliability. One way is to increase costs for unreliable tanks. But that means players can easily plan around poor reliability, since they know exactly how many extra points were spent in every game. Adding random rolls for reliability is a more realistic way to show how poor reliability regularly ruined tactical plans. But it is not fun to lose a match because of totally random reliability rolls before the game even starts, and it isn't good game design either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cessna posted:

The Nazis didn't anticipate a drat thing. They had the war economy of an addict, lurching from from looting one country to the next.

Where did you get the idea that they had a materials surplus?

i'm not going to bother responding to this post in any greater detail except to remind you that for the sake of brevity, and for wargame modeling, i acknowledged i was playing fast and loose with terms and concepts i had no interest of committing to literally - asking me why i think the germans had a real and serious materials surplus seems like a wilful misreading

the germans certainly had enough materials at the start to begin a war but they had no ability to see it through to any sort of favorable conclusion- if describing that situation as an apparent early materials surplus, but one that in practice becomes so rapidly depleted it'd make for a game so imbalanced wehraboos whine, like i did in the post, leads you to believe that i'm really talking about a real and serious surplus fueled by incredible foresight and anticipation... i have no idea what to tell you

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Corruption is a consequence of the fascist ideology.

"Self-aggrandizing shitlords" is a good summary, yeah. But breaking it down a bit can help you spot the fash, too.

When you have their particular kind of rigid hierarchy - where those at the top necessarily deserve to be there because that's the natural and unchanging order of things (ditto those at the bottom ofc), and the contrary is unthinkable, and combine that with the (yes, somewhat dissonant, there's a lot of that) idea of... poo poo I dunno how to say it, but "personal greatness" or "You win or you're Horst Wessel" summarises it, and you get corruption because when you are demonstrably in the greatest part of the greatest party of the greatest nation of the greatest race (gender, religion, and so on), everything you do is necessarily cool and good.

E: that's also the reason for the "higher moral purpose" claims, and a big part of the genuine (in the sense that the person saying it believes it's true) "just following orders" defense.

E2: Also this poo poo, internalised, makes it really difficult to understand that you hosed up, which makes learning from individual mistakes very difficult, and when everyone's doing it it makes understanding systemic problems impossible because you have to have an extremely careful "what if we weren't already perfect" conversation with every person involved before you can even start. This in a system where everyone believes the boss is the best possible boss because they're the boss and the system that determines who gets to be boss is the best possible system designed by the finest minds in the best party of the best country etc etc.

Oh and the bolded part there? That's why people use "fascist-adjacent" to refer to sexists, racists, religious bigots, homophobes, etc. Because all that poo poo comes from the the same place of categorising people into groups (races, genders, national origin, religion, disability, etc) and placing those groups in a rigid hierarchy such that you are at or near the very top, then dissonantly claiming (even if it's only to yourself) that you deserve to be there not because of the circumstance of your birth giving you the in-group race/gender/nationality/etc but because you struggled your way to a personal greatness that is deserved by you because it's 100% your own achievement and also it's unattainable by inferior race/gender/nationality/etc because they're just not capable of the same kind of personal greatness you are.

And yeah, that obviously makes no internal sense. That's the point.

It's similar to the way the nazis, who were poo poo at war and poo poo at government, were so convinced of their own greatness at war and governing that their bullshit is somehow* still convincing to people 70+ years later.

*"Look at us, we've clearly got our poo poo together, standing up straight with shiny boots and cool tanks. You could be just like us, all white and powerful. Hell you're white, you're more than halfway there already, you're already special!"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 1, 2019

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
So, kind of back on topic, if I ever get into historicals (FoW, BA, whatever), what YouTubers should I avoid?

None of the games I currently play really scratch the "tactical" itch that WHFB did, and I keep flirting with KoW, BA, and other games where morale and positioning actually matter, but I'm not sure where I shouldn't start looking.

Not that I don't wanna have an involved discussion of why the Nazis really needed a heavy or strategic bomber, why the "world's greatest" war machine didn't know the rail gauge in territory they planned to occupy, how synthetic petroleum was a death knell from the start, etc, but I don't want this to get closed for actually just being another milhist thread

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Saw over 100 new posts in the Fascists in Trad Gaming thread, suspected the worst, pleasantly surprised to find informative and interesting discussion occurring. A couple of things in no particular order:

On "game balance," well-designed games aren't necessarily balanced in a single scenario, but rather across multiple linked scenarios in a campaign. The Too Fat Lardies' "Pint-Sized Campaigns" for Chain of Command are a really good example of this. The forces can be wildly asymmetric, but the objectives of the campaign often place time or scoring constraints on the "stronger" force. So yeah, the British are going to wreck German face in the "Road to Bremen" campaign, but can they make it to the city before the German high-command surrenders (or the Soviets beat them to it)? On the whole, TFL is one of the companies that does a good job of breaking the "SS as Nietschean SuperMen" myth. In a number of their late-war campaigns, the German formations can best be described as trash.

On the topic of Nazi engineering, there were a few things the Germans did right, but one of my take-aways from Alan Moorehead's epic "The Desert War" was that every army coveted some part of every other army's kit. For instance, he wrote at length about the amazing rations and sundries the British captured from the Italians. And when it came to German kit, the Brits didn't care so much about their tanks or guns, but loved their gas cans. Turns out the German gas can design was leaps ahead in terms of utility, durability, and consistency, and they had a rigidly observed system (fascists, who'da thunk it) for differentiating gas cans from water cans (the latter were painted with a white cross). So simple, but orders of magnitude better than the bespoke garbage the Brits were using at the time - so much so that the very term "Jerry-can" dates from this era. For their part, the Germans in North Africa were exceedingly covetous of British trucks, and pressed them into service whenever they were captured.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

evol262 posted:

actually just being another milhist thread

Yeah for real. The milhist thread is great, the "here's exactly how the nazis were poo poo at everything, no really everything, you wouldn't fuckin believe it. Like each of their belt loops took longer to sew than a whole russian uniform and thre's 14 per pair of trousers and they somehow contain 27 ball bearings each and they didn't even hold the belt in place any more after 1940" starts within the first couple of pages and never stops for more than a couple of pages. But there's no need to duplicate it here.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 1, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

evol262 posted:

So, kind of back on topic, if I ever get into historicals (FoW, BA, whatever), what YouTubers should I avoid?
I don't know about channels to avoid, but "Tabletop CP" does some pretty good stuff for Chain of Command, and if you want a game that scratches a tactical itch, I'd absolutely recommend it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh and the bolded part there? That's why people use "fascist-adjacent" to refer to sexists, racists, religious bigots, homophobes, etc. Because all that poo poo comes from the the same place of categorising people into groups (races, genders, national origin, religion, disability, etc) and placing those groups in a rigid hierarchy such that you are at or near the very top, then dissonantly claiming (even if it's only to yourself) that you deserve to be there not because of the circumstance of your birth giving you the in-group race/gender/nationality/etc but because you struggled your way to a personal greatness that is deserved by you because it's 100% your own achievement and also it's unattainable by inferior race/gender/nationality/etc because they're just not capable of the same kind of personal greatness you are.

And yeah, that obviously makes no internal sense. That's the point.

It's similar to the way the nazis, who were poo poo at war and poo poo at government, were so convinced of their own greatness at war and governing that their bullshit is somehow* still convincing to people 70+ years later.

*"Look at us, we've clearly got our poo poo together, standing up straight with shiny boots and cool tanks. You could be just like us, all white and powerful. Hell you're white, you're more than halfway there already, you're already special!"
I figure the reason why so many people keep hewing to the Nazis in specific (as opposed to some kind of home-grown neofascism, which would remain despicable) is image alone. Also I guess I'll go look for the milhist thread!

golden bubble posted:

Exactly. Just look how wargames try to model tank reliability. One way is to increase costs for unreliable tanks. But that means players can easily plan around poor reliability, since they know exactly how many extra points were spent in every game. Adding random rolls for reliability is a more realistic way to show how poor reliability regularly ruined tactical plans. But it is not fun to lose a match because of totally random reliability rolls before the game even starts, and it isn't good game design either.
One way to do this on squad-level stuff would be having some kind of reliability check after "pushed" actions in the game. So Tigers or whatever could be worked around but you'd have to play conservatively, which in turn means the superficially inferior tanks that can push it to the limit way more reliably will be far more flexible, and flexibility wins wars!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

One way to do this on squad-level stuff would be having some kind of reliability check after "pushed" actions in the game. So Tigers or whatever could be worked around but you'd have to play conservatively, which in turn means the superficially inferior tanks that can push it to the limit way more reliably will be far more flexible, and flexibility wins wars!

gently caress me that's brilliant.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah for real. The milhist thread is great, the "here's exactly how the nazis were poo poo at everything, no really everything, you wouldn't fuckin believe it. Like each of their belt loops took longer to sew than a whole russian uniform and thre's 14 per pair of trousers and they somehow contain 27 ball bearings each and they didn't even hold the belt in place any more after 1940" starts within the first couple of pages and never stops for more than a couple of pages. But there's no need to duplicate it here.

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere but could someone link this?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872282

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

TheBigAristotle posted:

I need a solid YouTube series on why the Nazis were morons and made bad stuff, this is very entertaining

Potential history has a cool couple of videos about how Germany literally could not win WW2 which "kind of" touches on it.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbim2kGwhpc
Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTrjxOPYNY

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Serious question from a dumb American that has never seen the movie Zulu.

I have a small multi-racial mixed-gender Praetorian Guard army. Does this make me part of the problem or part of the solution?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bucnasti posted:

I have a small multi-racial mixed-gender Praetorian Guard army. Does this make me part of the problem or part of the solution?

I'd assume neither, it probably just puts you in the large 'more or less neutral' space like people who aren't fascists but do occasionally play German armies in WWII. Which might also put you ahead of the curve based on the discussion of the Praetorians earlier.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Bucnasti posted:

zulu and zulu dawn are about fuckwit colonizers being owned by the natives, with the sideshow at Rorke's Drift leaving the survivors shell shocked and their illusions of white supremacy shattered. go nuts imo.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m also curious about using certain cultural signifiers with non human races in other games.

Like Orkz in 40k have several models with Mongolian style hats.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’m also curious about using certain cultural signifiers with non human races in other games.

Like Orkz in 40k have several models with Mongolian style hats.

I've heard that GW made a conscious decision to move away from real world cultural analogues which seems like a good/cool thing to do.

e: I says "seems like" because it was probably motivated by them trying to copyright the poo poo out of everything

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, adjacent to the topic, but the talk of how Hydra are now a fascism cipher reminds me of how the Imperium became a fascist cipher and how Zeon are a fascist cipher and...

Basically, are there any worlds which have discount nazis where the nazis aren't lionized by real nazis? I'm guessing not because nazis will like seeing other nazis, but.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

do you mean something like the tau?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

spectralent posted:

Basically, are there any worlds which have discount nazis where the nazis aren't lionized by real nazis? I'm guessing not because nazis will like seeing other nazis, but.

Hogan's Heroes?

Indiana Jones?

E: Blues brothers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hogan's Heroes?

Indiana Jones?

E: Blues brothers.

Those are literal Nazis being lambasted though.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen anybody actually defend Pathfinder's Cheliax, but I have never been able to shake the feeling that they're out there. Plenty of talking about whether or not they're supposed to be nazis though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eox posted:

I've never seen anybody actually defend Pathfinder's Cheliax, but I have never been able to shake the feeling that they're out there. Plenty of talking about whether or not they're supposed to be nazis though.

I'd never heard of this, slammed in a GIS and ahhhhhh....

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
For the uninitiated,

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

This has absolutely been passively, and more recently actively going on. So the whole red pill/men going their own way types went on to join up with the 'gaters and the more delusional of them are now posting about Q, while the majority are ranting about anything and everything that threatens their fragile self-worth and then the more extreme have gone on to complaining that the recent synagogue killer didn't do a good enough job. As you look around the 'groups' there's a huge amount of crossover, so TheRPGSite is absolutely loaded with them, and of course Pundit now complains about communists rather than swine because he's gone even more anti-women/liberals/everyone with a brain and then the toxic magic community all sup from the same well, and the 'gaters of course and so n. It's all one big breeding ground for bigots and lovely people.

You can see all their public poo poo on the likes of reddit and the chans and kiwifarms, but in the last 2-3 years there's been a lot of movement onto discord, with extremist groups using other sites to recruit people/vet them/interview them etc.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've played and written a lot of Chelaxian characters because a lot of my stuff focuses on freedom fighters/revolutionaries, it works really well for that sort of character. Characters who sever ties with their fascist culture and even families, offering their lives to at least begin process of change.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

spectralent posted:

So, adjacent to the topic, but the talk of how Hydra are now a fascism cipher reminds me of how the Imperium became a fascist cipher and how Zeon are a fascist cipher and...

Thing is, the settings with discount Nazis always fall for the same assumption that real Nazis past and present love: that rigid authoritarianism and fascism make a nation stronger, rather than corrupt and incompetent.

So yeah, it's no wonder actual Nazis love seeing their biases confirmed. If a setting portrayed its fash realistically I'd imagine they'd stop being lionised by actual fash.

E: case in point, the very few people who obsessively roleplay as the Pigmasks from Mother 3.

Whybird fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 1, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Someone wrote a great thing in the 40k thread about the Imperium being Stalinist rather than Nazis I wish I could recall who did it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Whybird posted:

Thing is, the settings with discount Nazis always fall for the same assumption that real Nazis past and present love: that rigid authoritarianism and fascism make a nation stronger, rather than corrupt and incompetent.

This has long been a major problem plaguing, like, nearly all tabletop game settings. Cheliax as mentioned above is a great example of this poo poo, to the point where their SuperCops that help maintain the horrible obvious nazi analogue slave-empire are allowed to be of neutral alignment.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

This has long been a major problem plaguing, like, nearly all tabletop game settings. Cheliax as mentioned above is a great example of this poo poo, to the point where their SuperCops that help maintain the horrible obvious nazi analogue slave-empire are allowed to be of neutral alignment.

Behold, the very picture of neutrality

Quick edit : They can also be lawful good

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

Behold, the very picture of neutrality

Looks like a centrist to me.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JBP posted:

Looks like a centrist to me.

And now the calm and logical centrist has to defend himself from the violent sword-wielding SJW

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Whybird posted:

That's it.

The only ones they won't love are the bumbling buffoon caricatures (hogans heroes, blues brothers) or two dimensional Evil Dr Badguy antagonists (indiana jones), and those aren't condusive to a wargame or rpg setting.

And... uh... practically every single fantasy setting ever has an unexamined assumption that things used to be great before a great evil hosed them up which often turns into something weirdly close to the fascist idealisation of the past. Especially when the great evil is sentient humanoids who are, you know, just evil because that's what they are.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 1, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

And now the calm and logical centrist has to defend himself from the violent sword-wielding SJW

Look how much money that disgusting liberal clearly has smdh

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Look how much money that disgusting liberal clearly has smdh

You're not too far off the mark, that's an Eagle Knight. They're part of the Andoran military, which is the liberal ideal fantasy America.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Pathfinder's setting is excrutiatingly bad.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

Pathfinder's setting is excrutiatingly bad.

This is objectively true

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

And... uh... practically every single fantasy setting ever has an unexamined assumption that things used to be great before a great evil hosed them up which often turns into something weirdly close to the fascist idealisation of the past. Especially when the great evil is sentient humanoids who are, you know, just evil because that's what they are.

The way to get around this, I think, is to have the thing that hosed up the past (which had cool things like representative democracy and civil rights) be the rise of an autocratic regime which burned a load of their records, banned their science, and which the PCs are now plucky resistance fighters trying to overthrow.

Like, that makes for a brilliant source of endless mooks for the PCs to mow their way through guilt-free, with the occasional lone trooper who managed to get his hideously overengineered and impractical magic weapon actually working to serve as a boss fight.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Whybird posted:

So yeah, it's no wonder actual Nazis love seeing their biases confirmed. If a setting portrayed its fash realistically I'd imagine they'd stop being lionised by actual fash.

E: case in point, the very few people who obsessively roleplay as the Pigmasks from Mother 3.

While I can't speak for the franchise as a whole in the original Gundam series at least I did get the distinct impression that Zeon was incompetent and corrupt. They do spend the last couple episodes pointlessly killing one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fsmhunk posted:

While I can't speak for the franchise as a whole in the original Gundam series at least I did get the distinct impression that Zeon was incompetent and corrupt. They do spend the last couple episodes pointlessly killing one another.

Zeon seems more like some insane feudal aristocracy to me.