Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

A human heart posted:

listen up bitch: i eat the dog poo poo and i enjoy it, and eating the dog poo poo is actually good to me

Some people *gasp* enjoy eating at taco bell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Some people *gasp* enjoy eating at taco bell?

That’s a good analogy because reading Malazan and eating at Taco Bell will both make you thick

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you know you don’t need to read all thirty books of malazan. you can do other things with your time. you’re going to die and this isn’t how you have to spend your life

This is the logic of late capitalism

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
"you're wasting your life on mediocre crap, I'm here to save you"

*constantly posts on an obscure subforum*

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

nah most schools of ancient greek philosophy held that engaging in empty pleasures was actively harmful for the soul. there's a reason plato banned poets from the republic

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Malazan is truly the Iliad of our age.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Capitalism, a system wherein people are discouraged from consuming endless installments of a franchise.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i mean they're not the only ones of course i just figured that starting with the foundations of the entire western philosophical tradition might show how dumb that idea was. Marx and his heirs would also tell you not to read Malazan, as he held that art should serve a ideological function and thus must be utilitarian. we could go further with that by discussing how Malazan is escapist, and thus provides an outlet for your dissatisfaction with your own life that could instead be channeled into revolutionary activity, thereby actively serving bourgeois capitalist interests

my point here is that your post was very stupid

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Capitalism, a system wherein people are discouraged from consuming endless installments of a franchise.

also this yeah lmao

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'm seriously struggling to figure out what he meant by that. "You can do other things with your time" is the perfect antithesis of capitalist ideology.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if you interpret my post as "do not engage in leisure activities because that detracts from your time spent generating capital for your masters" then i guess it makes a little sense but that's a) not what i said and b) very stupid in context

capitalism is everything i don't like, including people telling me not to read garbage for idiots

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

i mean they're not the only ones of course i just figured that starting with the foundations of the entire western philosophical tradition might show how dumb that idea was. Marx and his heirs would also tell you not to read Malazan, as he held that art should serve a ideological function and thus must be utilitarian. we could go further with that by discussing how Malazan is escapist, and thus provides an outlet for your dissatisfaction with your own life that could instead be channeled into revolutionary activity, thereby actively serving bourgeois capitalist interests

lol

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jaxyon posted:

"you're wasting your life on mediocre crap, I'm here to save you"

*constantly posts on an obscure subforum*

There is legit, honestly, something really wrong with people who still choose to post on SA

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm seriously struggling to figure out what he meant by that. "You can do other things with your time" is the perfect antithesis of capitalist ideology.

The thing is, """real""" leftists are dangerously unstable obsessives (eg Lenin's personal life). To the point of seriously believing that all human activity that doesn't directly contribute to the Party is treason and collaboration.

It sounds like a strawmam but jfc if I don't see a D&D hero genuinely argue it every now and again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am beginning to reach a point where irony's interference in actually trying to explore ideas has become depressing

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

The thing is, """real""" leftists are dangerously unstable obsessives (eg Lenin's personal life). To the point of seriously believing that all human activity that doesn't directly contribute to the Party is treason and collaboration.

It sounds like a strawmam but jfc if I don't see a D&D hero genuinely argue it every now and again.

its pretty cool to get your messed up concept of real leftists from the d and d forum on this website

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

There is legit, honestly, something really wrong with people who still choose to post on SA

Early internet poisoning.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There is legit, honestly, something really wrong with people who [fill in the blank]

is always a true statement regardless of the content of the blank

so, yeah

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i shall go underground, and live in a cave

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is always a true statement regardless of the content of the blank

Yes, it's called original sin.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So is the ultimate evil for this thread Name of the Wind fanfiction or is there something that's even worse for you?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

All I know is Gene Wolfe wrote some good poo poo

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 6, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
a valiant if delayed rearguard action

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If you wanna grab some quotes and defend Gene Wolfe go for it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Asking as someone who is not super well versed in Marx's writings, what is a contemporary example of art (preferably literature) that satisfy these expectations for what art should be? Does it change when the revolution is accomplished and "channeling energy into revolutionary activity" is redundant?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pile of brown posted:

Does it change when the revolution is accomplished and "channeling energy into revolutionary activity" is redundant?
The perfect ideal of revolution being "accomplished" never comes to pass even in a best-case scenario, and even if it did, all it would mean is that all energy is channeled into it anyway. It wouldn't be "redundant"; it would necessarily be the case. There's nothing for art's purpose to "change" to.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 6, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pile of brown posted:

Asking as someone who is not super well versed in Marx's writings, what is a contemporary example of art (preferably literature) that satisfy these expectations for what art should be? Does it change when the revolution is accomplished and "channeling energy into revolutionary activity" is redundant?

Off the cuff, examples I can think of for art that is utilitarian:
1) propaganda
2) product advertisements
3) graphic design
4) novels written quickly to capitalize on a trend

I have no idea why cherno thought he was making a good point by citing Marx here. And while we're on the subject, citing Plato's "poetry is bad" beliefs in defense of good art is a bizarre debate tactic, to say the least.

I'm frankly confused why cherno is interested in this thread, considering his posts so far reflects an understanding of literature that's limited to its political value. With a point of view like that, which is in direct opposition to the idea that art is a creative endeavor, I'm surprised he claims to dislike capitalism, since capitalism discourages (artistic) creativity just as much as cherno does.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
You couldn't have missed any of his points any harder.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

i mean, nah

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

to elaborate: marx never said anything about what art should be, he only said that it cannot be conceived of outside of class relations. some people would then say you should therefore ensure your art accurately represents class relations and then you end up with social realism but that's absolutely not a 'art must only serve the betterment of the revolution'. i'm also not sure marx would hold the bizarre view that if you read fantasy you become entirely distracted from the material conditions of your existence, but his writings on Malazan Book of the Fallen are woefully limited

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's that famous quote of his that gets passed round about how great going to the theatre and getting drunk with your mates is? Seems a pretty clear defence of "art for enjoyments sake"

Also Marx would presumably enjoy Malazans exploration of how capitalism obscures power relations (compared to say feudalism or tribal societies, where its pretty drat clear who has the power) but would dock some points marks for its completely non-material approach.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

soviet realism

Mr. Steak posted:

I'm frankly confused why cherno is interested in this thread, considering his posts so far reflects an understanding of literature that's limited to its political value. With a point of view like that, which is in direct opposition to the idea that art is a creative endeavor, I'm surprised he claims to dislike capitalism, since capitalism discourages (artistic) creativity just as much as cherno does.

you are, and i mean this respectfully, very stupid

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CestMoi posted:

to elaborate: marx never said anything about what art should be, he only said that it cannot be conceived of outside of class relations. some people would then say you should therefore ensure your art accurately represents class relations and then you end up with social realism but that's absolutely not a 'art must only serve the betterment of the revolution'. i'm also not sure marx would hold the bizarre view that if you read fantasy you become entirely distracted from the material conditions of your existence, but his writings on Malazan Book of the Fallen are woefully limited

the important thing is that overall i'mr ight

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you are, and i mean this respectfully, very stupid

lmaooo

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. Steak posted:

And while we're on the subject, citing Plato's "poetry is bad" beliefs in defense of good art is a bizarre debate tactic, to say the least.

it wasn't "in defense of good art", simpleton, it was to illustrate that my original post is not, in fact, the "logic of late capitalism". how "don't spend your time consuming mass media" is in any way "the logic of late capitalism" is beyond me at any rate.

quote:

nowhere did i claim to dislike capitalism or even post my own views on the political value of art, dunce

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I don't think capitalists are the only people to believe that time has intrinsic value.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you wanna grab some quotes and defend Gene Wolfe go for it.

I was hoping someone smarter than myself could, the gene wolfe thread had a page or two of some good back and forth

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's weird, people whose literary taste I respect say that Gene Wolfe is extremely good, but any time they post a quote they like it just seems like a mess. Here's an example:

https://twitter.com/intellegint/status/1117841386169077765

To my eyes this passage switches wildly from arch irony to Woolf stream of consciousness lyricism to Delillo understatement, which is impressive but not a unified aesthetic that I can really admire.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I feel kind of the same about Wolfe; people I like and respect dig him, but every quoted passage I see just doesn't click at all. It probably doesn't help that the Book of the New Sun gets recommended constantly and every quote from that book I've ever seen makes me not want to spend hundreds of pages in the narrator's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
BoTNS just feels like such a boring chore to read. Any questions that come up all seem to be about nerdy fandom stuff that requires painful close reading to find answers that don’t mean anything.

There’s dense, meaty writing that’s an absolute joy to read bit by bit, over and over, and there’s writing that provokes big, open questions and meditations, but botns doesn’t do either for me. Is Severian a dullard, or a dullard from the future??! Who loving cares