Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I finally got more than 10 minutes into Gurumin, a game I got free from Falcom for... some reason years ago? I can't remember why, but whatevs. It's a PC port of a PSP game from what I understand.

Anyway, the game's pretty fun, though of course it has its problems, like some typoes and the controls are clunky (though in a charming way IMO), but a bit I got past earlier was complete garbage.

In one level you need to go up a Donkey Kong-esque section with enemies dropping boulders that roll at you while you try to get up. At the top a room later there's a counter which counts the rocks as they smash into the walls on the climb below. Now the most enemies I can get to do their lengthy grab/drop boulders loop at the same time is 4, which sucks considering you need to get the counter to 999 to get a prize. But that's not the worst part, oh no. The prize you get doesn't appear right below where the counter is, instead it appears on a ledge that you could have easily made inaccessible through clearing the room out while waiting the half-hour or so for the counter to go up. Accidentally did that? Welp, restart the level and wait again!

This is a supremely inexcusable thing to do in a game that's all about short ~10 minute stages and gameplay that highly incentivizes the player to break everything you can in a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I dunno man, Hitman 2 is a lot better than Subnautica because it doesn't have freaking terrifying caves oceans in it :v:

Subnautica has an interesting concept that I will never engage in due to my extreme thalassophobia.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

Subnautica has an interesting concept that I will never engage in due to my extreme thalassophobia.

I wouldn't say my fear is extreme, per se, but there were numerous occasions in that game where I had to stop, take a breather, turn on the lights, and turn down the sound (so many sounds in that game that I absolutely hate), but even with that I quite enjoyed the game.

Except if I ever had to go up for air, then descend back down to a depth that I couldn't see. Holy poo poo I hated that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Leal posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for teaching the name of something that I have!

Underwater sections in games, I swear I can feel the water going up my nose, smell it and taste it, when my little toon goes under. It's even worse when the sound design is top notch and they make sure it sounds like you are under water.

This probably has something to do with the fact that I learned to swim by someone who thought babies naturally knew how to swim and just "forgot" as they aged. So it was a lot of just being tossed in the water and told to "reach for the sun". I never did learn how to swim above water.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Babies do know how to swim and then forget but also loving hell that's a horrific way to teach someone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Oh yeah, thanks for teaching the name of something that I have!

Underwater sections in games, I swear I can feel the water going up my nose, smell it and taste it, when my little toon goes under. It's even worse when the sound design is top notch and they make sure it sounds like you are under water.

This probably has something to do with the fact that I learned to swim by someone who thought babies naturally knew how to swim and just "forgot" as they aged. So it was a lot of just being tossed in the water and told to "reach for the sun". I never did learn how to swim above water.

Are you an alternate universe version of me, because I remember ages ago when I was 5 someone decided that since I had a life vest on me that it was cool for me to go in the water. So she threw me out into a lake. I also vaguely recall being pulled away from the shore by the water thanks to said vest.

Considering I have no idea how that ended, I can only assume I drowned

E: Also thanks to various horrors that insta killed you in older games, along with musical stings when your character starts to drown... Yeah gently caress the water.

Leal has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Apr 30, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Leal posted:

I'm fortunate in that I don't have that fear - I love to swim, I'll swim anywhere - but last summer I went on a research binge into diving, diving deaths, underwater caves, caving deaths, and related traumatic things and now I will never, ever go diving. Not that I'd ever intended to, but gently caress no. And gently caress caves.

So, naturally Subnautica wants me to go inside caves. And then it's put alien threats into those caves that mess with you. I cannot play Subnautica at night or in the dark.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

They're unhappy because they're bored with their job, duh!

I have no idea if you're joking or not, because I've looked up some stuff and some of the responses imply this might be the case. If you train them too well, they get better at their jobs, so they go through customers faster, meaning they eventually complain that their job is boring because they don't have anything to do, and quit.

I've probably said this before, but the overarcing way I've played these coaster games ultimately drag them down. If the campaign/scenarios are boring or annoying me, I'll go to the sandbox mode... only to find that I'm actively poo poo at making functional-but-interesting landscapes, and I get bored at making parks in utterly flat terrain.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Apr 30, 2019

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the crash zone in subnautica is one of the most terrifying areas I've ever experienced in a video game. The low visibility, the loud noise of the ship breaking apart, the constant screen shaking, and then you meet your first sea leviathan :ohdear:

it kinda disappoints me that the first sea leviathan you can meet and the larger ghost leviathans if you go too far are the scariest ones; I just laughed at the magma ones

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dunno why Bethesda are uniquely bad at this, but they're now 0/2 for scripted combat arenas that don't break at the drop of a hat (wouldn't be surprised if there's more in their earlier games). Got to the end of Automatron only to have the final fight stall out because apparently if you shoot something before you're supposed to it breaks the scripting. Except the only reason that could have happened is because I took a mandatory robot companion with me who happened to have a laser gun, 'cause I'm 100% melee. :rolleyes:

While I'd say I enjoyed the DLC overall (props for how all-in they went on robot customization), the final dungeon is also a bit too long and the actual conclusion is pretty weak. You either just kill the Mechanist or convince them their plan is flawed so they give up, with no other payoff or comeuppance or anything to really establish their character. The actual meat of the lore you get out of it is just yet more "pre-war society was hosed up and awful" skullduggery focused on sucking out prisoners' brains to act as CPUs for robots.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:32 on May 1, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah the later stages of subnautica in general are just a bit goofy. the first third or so of the game is great and my interest dwindled after that. got as far as being tasked to build the final escape shuttle thing and couldn't be bothered, which is rare for me

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The thing that got me the hardest in my short playthrough of Subnautica was the Kelp Forest. Swimming there made me feel gross, like all those leaves were touching and grasping at me and the way the water looks when you're there, that sickly green and the dim light that comes through the plants, urgh.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

It all reeks of devs that really want to curate my "gaming experience". In general I really hate all of that; but it's just fun as hell
What happened is they successfully curated your gaming experience.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh hell yeah are we talking fear of water because i feel ya. like i like to swim; i’ll rock a pool all day and beaches are nice, but going on a sail weekend with the sea cadets as a teen i realized there’s something about open water that ruins me. just getting out in that big lake on a tiny sailboat had me quivering in fear. unsure why. never really got over it.

turns out it translates to games!!

first time i ever noticed it bothering me in games was beyond good & evil. for the most part i’m totally fine with that game (overall i love it a lot!) but i really did not want to go out of my way to get photos of the whales that breach every now and then. weirdly, zelda the wind waker never bothered me in comparison. think it’s because that games water is so much more cartoony.

back when recording bonus content my saints row 2 lp with panzer she was trying to get me to trigger some easter egg out on the ocean that causes a giant teddy bear or something to come out of the water. i had to get her to abort this after treading out in the water for a while because i just couldn’t be out there much longer. think i would have poo poo my pants for real if the easter egg went off, i hadn’t seen it before then and didn’t know what was up.

recently-ish in WoW i went through vashj’ir for the first time. it’s fine when you’re hanging out in the intro area to it but uuugggggghhhhhhhh seeing the big open emptiness with a giant shark swimming around...... eventually there was some quest that was leading out into a deeper part of the area and i got turned around and just found myself face to face with a dark cave. had to close my eyes and hearth out i couldn’t take it anymore.

final fantasy xiv has you diving pretty deep to unlock the shisui of the violet tides dungeon. only thing that pushed me through is knowing here is absolutely no underwater combat. still hated going down there

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I dislike in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass is that it feels that Jimmy doesn't get many good magic attacks, at least the pumpkin and vampireforms are underwhelming compared to the physical monster that the bear form makes him. Their multipliers are just too low, so 300% damage at most pales in comparison to the bear's 500% physical attack. Other characters can equip better spells, his parents do decent magic damage as a result, but Jimmy himself doesn't really do much when magic is needed.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

FactsAreUseless posted:

What happened is they successfully curated your gaming experience.

Yeah, I figured I like the game is spite of those things I listed, but maybe they know me better than myself, and it wouldn't be so good otherwise.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the most lopsided choices in a game? Like how in the Witcher you must choose between siding with Roche, the guy who has unconditionally saved your rear end a dozen times, or Dijkstra, the prickly guy who only gave you worthless gold when you needed help and only if you helped him correctly?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are the most lopsided choices in a game? Like how in the Witcher you must choose between siding with Roche, the guy who has unconditionally saved your rear end a dozen times, or Dijkstra, the prickly guy who only gave you worthless gold when you needed help and only if you helped him correctly?

Bang the Hot Blue Space Vampire vs. Not Game Over

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bioshock: murder a child for a marginally higher reward and lock yourself into the evil monster ending, or save the child and get a net better bonus reward after you save another couple anyway

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Brainwash an entire sentient robot society vs. blow up a single space station.

The first option makes you a good guy.

Alternative answer: Caesar's Legion in New Vegas compared to literally any other option available.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

djikstra is unambiguously the best choice for redania’s own government if you’re against nilfgard’s rule, but geralt isn’t likely to think of the situation in those terms

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Fable 3 and any choice involving helping Reaver be a poo poo for a meager sum.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

World Famous W posted:

Fable 3 and any choice involving helping Reaver be a poo poo for a meager sum.

Hold X to turn the orphanage into a school.

Hold B to turn the orphanage into a brothel.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Alternative answer: Caesar's Legion in New Vegas compared to literally any other option available.

I'll take Caesar over the NCR any day.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sunswipe posted:

I'll take Caesar over the NCR any day.

One of those two factions is noble, but bureaucratically crippled by overexpansion. The other faction enslaves almost all women.

Caesar's Legion is a part of New Vegas that was crippled pretty badly by Obsidian being Obsidian'd. The original plan was going to show that, as tyrannical as the Legion are, their rule is actually lawful and successful; you'd go into their territory and it's actually safe and relatively orderly, compared to the NCR, because the Legion for all their faults can hold together a safe and stable society. Unfortunately, they had to cut that part of the game, so there's no actual good reason given to side with Caesar in the game we got.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Take the middle road and only enslave every third woman.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm fine with the depiction of Caesars Legion since they're not far-fetched at all given real-life extremism, because they're a new faction instead of just recycling the enclave, and they're not stupid like a bunch of bleeding heart humans who want to free robots.

The Railroad is just a sci-fi equivalent of Autism Speaks. How many of their members where even Android's?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

all of them, including you

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It’s been a while, but I believe there’s a part in Infamous 1 where you’re exploring the sewers and there’s a guy waiting behind a gate. He sees you and says like “HEY WHO ARE YOU”. Your choices are A) literally just say your name, and then he says “oh okay” and lets you in, or B) murder him for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

The game even does the thing where it freezes time for a second and the main character says to himself “HMMM I HAVE TO MAKE A CHOICE HERE”, except the choice is between saying two words (his first name followed by his last), or killing a random guy as like, a joke, I guess. It’s so arbitrary that I wonder why the same choice doesn’t pop up with every other character and interaction. What makes sewerman so special? I don’t think he’s even a named character.

It’s possible I’m not remembering it correctly (it’s been a long time), but I remember being pretty baffled by it at the time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cleretic posted:

One of those two factions is noble, but bureaucratically crippled by overexpansion. The other faction enslaves almost all women.

Caesar's Legion is a part of New Vegas that was crippled pretty badly by Obsidian being Obsidian'd. The original plan was going to show that, as tyrannical as the Legion are, their rule is actually lawful and successful; you'd go into their territory and it's actually safe and relatively orderly, compared to the NCR, because the Legion for all their faults can hold together a safe and stable society. Unfortunately, they had to cut that part of the game, so there's no actual good reason given to side with Caesar in the game we got.

To be honest I'm not sure this would help. The argument in favor of Legion rule would still basically just boil down to "but the trains Brahmin caravans run on time!"

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cleretic posted:

Actually that one screws you over in the next game because it makes it harder to save both the Geth and Quarians since the Geth have people that remember working with the Reapers as a good thing. You have better results blowing them up in that regard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't have any direct quotes but i heard that chris avellone's argument for the legion (which was also sort of echoed by ulysses) is that human civilization would need to undergo a total reconfiguration to prevent repeating the events that led to the fallout universe in the first place, while the NCR would just be repeating the pattern all over again

problem is that this argument is not convincingly presented in the game itself, and that the legion's ersatz Pax Romana is just an army of illiterate slavers following the whims of a single megalomaniacal history teacher with a brain tumor

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Actually that one screws you over in the next game because it makes it harder to save both the Geth and Quarians since the Geth have people that remember working with the Reapers as a good thing. You have better results blowing them up in that regard.

that's because ME3 tossed out everything that made the geth interesting to begin with

the choice in ME2 isn't presented as "brainwashing" because the geth's concept of sapience doesn't work that way - as legion states, it's not the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 2 + 2 = 5, but the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 1 + 3 = 4. both shepard and the player are uncomfortable with the idea of a massive ideological difference boiling down to a rounding error, but that's the hurdle they have to undertake when interacting with the geth

then ME3 came along and stripped all that away in favor of a generic pinocchio syndrome

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

that's because ME3 tossed out everything that made the geth interesting to begin with

the choice in ME2 isn't presented as "brainwashing" because the geth's concept of sapience doesn't work that way - as legion states, it's not the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 2 + 2 = 5, but the difference between 2 + 2 = 4 and 1 + 3 = 4. both shepard and the player are uncomfortable with the idea of a massive ideological difference boiling down to a rounding error, but that's the hurdle they have to undertake when interacting with the geth

then ME3 came along and stripped all that away in favor of a generic pinocchio syndrome

Nonsense, Mass Effect has always and exclusively been about creator vs. created and you just don't get it.
:goonsay:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

The noble NCR, proudly invading and occupying territory, taxing the inhabitants, killing people for minor criminal infractions and assassinating the man who rebuilt Vegas because he's inconvenient. Great guys.

Caesar knows he's being an rear end in a top hat because he believes humanity needs to do something other than rebuild the civilisation that destroyed the world. I don't agree with him, but I can roleplay a character who does. I cannot see any appeal of the NCR, any way in which their presence in the Mojave is a positive either to the player character or to the world at large.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

People sided with Roache? Dijkstra is my boy and will be forever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dragon Age Origins:

You investigate the elf slums and find that the mage healers there to help with an outbreak of plague are actually blood mage slave traders shipping off the elves they 'quarantine'. So you fight your way through until you get to the boss, and he offers you a deal - documents implicating the country's regent in the slave trade, and you let him take the slaves he already has. With negotiation, you can get him to also throw in a fat sack of gold for you personally. Evil, yes, but a pretty balanced choice.

The lopsided one is if you refuse and attack him, then after he's beaten he'll offer to do a blood magic ritual to kill all the slaves and power you up. If you accept, you get....+1 constitution, aka 5 HP.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, DAO is not a game where you need to bump Con much, and even if you do for whichever build, the quest comes so late in the game you could've added like 50 con just from your levelling up, so it's not even good as a minmaxing, take-it-to-save-a-level-up-point thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MadDogMike posted:

Actually no, not if you do things perfectly.

If you get the Geth and Quarians to ally, rewriting the Geth is better because the hit to Quarian strength from rewriting the geth is smaller than the hit to Geth strength from destroying the station.

Sorry, you impulsive, racist idiots. Sacrifices were made for the greater good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

To be honest I'm not sure this would help. The argument in favor of Legion rule would still basically just boil down to "but the trains Brahmin caravans run on time!"

yeah it's essentially a very reactionary point that reinforces fascist self-mythology. the appeal in the idealogy is the lie that it brings peace and prosperity to the Volk, and this would have just... presented that as a truth, but asked whether it's "worth it" on an abstract moral level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Leal posted:

Hold X to turn the orphanage into a school.

Hold B to turn the orphanage into a brothel.

Yes that was the worst part of a bad game. All I wanted was to kill that guy.