Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glenn Quebec posted:

What weapon are you using? I think wailing on them until their stamina is gone works

I spent a while running around in skirmish and deathmatch switching between the estoc, maul, and shield+shortspear. I think I saw one person go out of stamina the whole time I was playing. Especially in the free-for-all deathmatch mode, somebody usually just gets beheaded by a rando jumping in from behind before the fight goes on that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think the estoc is very good compared to spears or zweihanders but gosh darn it I'll get it to max cosmetics.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah I was kinda disappointed with too. I thought the whole deal with estocs was that they were supposed to be designed for stabbing through armor but the stabs felt kinda weak against heavy armor and the slashes were near-useless. The mordhau posture was better but still not amazingly impressive. The thrusts seem to hit pretty hard against medium and light armor though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah I was kinda disappointed with too. I thought the whole deal with estocs was that they were supposed to be designed for stabbing through armor but the stabs felt kinda weak against heavy armor and the slashes were near-useless. The mordhau posture was better but still not amazingly impressive. The thrusts seem to hit pretty hard against medium and light armor though.

It's a slightly more lethal weapon than the stock longsword, slightly faster on most attacks, especially the mordhau swings. The stabs and mordhau strikes are about even against heavy armor because of that.

It's just hard to justify it compared to a great sword or especially a zweihander. Because of how the dragging works a slower attack speed is more a benefit than a libaility I feel like, you get in peoples heads really easy.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
You know, at first I was kinda annoyed at no voice chat, but now I feel like it's for the best.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nalesh posted:

You know, at first I was kinda annoyed at no voice chat, but now I feel like it's for the best.

Join any Frontline battle and you'll reverse out of this mindset so hard you'll wish for a chat removal too!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, one thing I learned is that most one-handed weapons seem to combo rather poorly with heavy armour. I've tried going full walking tank with heavy armour, big-rear end shield, and a mace, and you're just too drat slow to control range at all. Anybody with a two-handed anything can kite your poo poo all day long unless you manage to back them into a wall. Same kit worked out much better on a middle-light armoured guy. Also tried the poleaxe, and it seems really good so far. Swords can go the gently caress home :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure this'll sort of self-correct eventually but right now the number of 1v1 fights you can win basically automatically just by morphing attacks is pretty funny.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Perestroika posted:

Well, one thing I learned is that most one-handed weapons seem to combo rather poorly with heavy armour. I've tried going full walking tank with heavy armour, big-rear end shield, and a mace, and you're just too drat slow to control range at all. Anybody with a two-handed anything can kite your poo poo all day long unless you manage to back them into a wall. Same kit worked out much better on a middle-light armoured guy. Also tried the poleaxe, and it seems really good so far. Swords can go the gently caress home :colbert:

One thing to remember is that you can stab with the mace to break their long swings if you get in their face. Also dragging the mace will let you pop heads with a satisfying melin squish.

I do like how the ballistics makes long range kills really enjoyable.

My only issue with the rapier is that you simply stab with it instead of lunging to cover distance and then retreat. The distance you need to stay to avoid attacks usually is too far to counter-attack.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm trying to figure out the Poleaxe. It's so satisfying when a hit connects, but I think I need to pair it with something to be more effective. It's already pretty unwieldy to use. Maybe a crossbow.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Stretch Marx posted:

One thing to remember is that you can stab with the mace to break their long swings if you get in their face. Also dragging the mace will let you pop heads with a satisfying melin squish.

I do like how the ballistics makes long range kills really enjoyable.

My only issue with the rapier is that you simply stab with it instead of lunging to cover distance and then retreat. The distance you need to stay to avoid attacks usually is too far to counter-attack.

Take the Dodge perk to dodge forward and attack then dodge back or to the side?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm stressed out with all these options despite playing the alpha, what's the best class to start out with?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I don't know, I had server issues last night but finally got into a horde mode match and played that mofo for a long time. It's good and fun.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anybody else have their resolution setting not stick?

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Diogines posted:

If you enjoy these style of games I would suggest buying this one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So...does the game have server issues or is something wrong with my settings? I can't seeù to join a game through matchmaking, and no servers are showing up on the server browser.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The game has server issues. The devs were woefully unprepared for it's popularity. That said I've never had a problem getting a server list to show up. It just takes a few seconds longer.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

So...does the game have server issues or is something wrong with my settings? I can't seeù to join a game through matchmaking, and no servers are showing up on the server browser.

Funky thing is, it doesn't automatically populate the server list, you have to click on the refresh button first. And even still it gives no indication of activity, but it should plop up the list in a few seconds.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hitting people with a mace in the head is very fun

And fistfights

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Nordick posted:

Funky thing is, it doesn't automatically populate the server list, you have to click on the refresh button first. And even still it gives no indication of activity, but it should plop up the list in a few seconds.

Yeah that was my experience too. You have to refresh when you open it up and it will take longer than you expect to show up. It works but sometimes by the time the list populates and you try to join the server will be full and you start over.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I'm stressed out with all these options despite playing the alpha, what's the best class to start out with?

All the classes seem good. For the most part I've just been going with the knight because I'm still very new and very bad at this so I figure heavy armored dude with sword would be a good way to get a hold of the basics.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I spent a while running around in skirmish and deathmatch switching between the estoc, maul, and shield+shortspear. I think I saw one person go out of stamina the whole time I was playing. Especially in the free-for-all deathmatch mode, somebody usually just gets beheaded by a rando jumping in from behind before the fight goes on that long.

I honestly think I have never run out of stamina in the how many hours I have played. With so many ways to regain it it's practically a non issue as long as you aren't continuously 1v1 dueling.

Hell I even played at Reinhardt and continually shielded while moving the cart and even then it took forever for my stamina to drop appreciatively.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The best class is running the lute, getting on top of a roof near the middle of the battlefield but more towards their side. Then push: c4c4c4c4 and change that to c3c3c3c3 if they ever get close

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm hoping the devs get some sort of hotfix or patch today. Server brower doesn't work for me but match make does...kind of

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I was getting XP and gold earlier this morning, not anymore now. Was hoping it was resolved, oh well.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah, now i'm not getting anything. i need gold to buy new pants and shirts

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Before their servers caught flames again I was able to buy

a) a beartrap
b) a maul
c) a floppy hat

Hoo boy do you make some folks grumpy if you beartrap them then smash their brains with a giant hammer while they're down. Especially if you spam compliments while you do it.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Also the Germans have words for everything so I really need a word for "that feeling of shame you get when you have to ask your teammate to come back because your throwing axe is stuck in their spine". Also "satisfaction gained at smashing a horse in the face with a sledgehammer" tia.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What, exactly, do you expect the people that are good at the game/mechanics to do about this? Just sit still and die? Pull their punches and not have fun? Go fists only and have fun until people figure out how to fight against that? It's really not fun to sit there parrying some guy for 2 minutes until his friends come to make it a 3v1 and it becomes interesting. It is fun to run around feeling like the Chosen of Khorne.

If the people aren't using something that's completely broken take it as a chance to try to learn to deal with them. Hell, even if they are then dealing with cheese is something you'll want to practice too. You'll lose every fight, most likely, but you'll start making progress. You'll learn how to read things and get forced to learn to time parries and use kicks more effectively.

There's no real matchmaking and no MMR system of any sort. Matches will be horribly imbalanced. I hope they do something about this but, until they do, do you want people that get a >3:1 K:D to just quit the game or something?

Yes absolutely. People that are better than me ruin my good time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I recommend trying a Horde server with max players, I've been in a 50 person one that reliably gets to the last wave and thats worth at least 1000 gold each time.

You have enough downtime when you die too for searching the map so I'm learning where all the spawns for everything are.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol at the projectiles . hitting somebody in the head with a throwing axe

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

People seem to be taken entirely off guard when you use the mortal wound perk.

I'm covered in blood and have zero health but I have five seconds and a sword, my dudes

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's really satisfying mobbing up on an obviously-better player.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

teamed up with 3 engineers and made a mini-ballista nest next to a point this morning, and thanks for a helpful knight and defender no one was able to breech it while we demolished the enemy team trying to rush the point lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

It's really satisfying mobbing up on an obviously-better player.

Separately, the chuds on the steam forums are blowing a loving gasket about the fact that the developers are going to put in :females:

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 1, 2019

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it’s not realistic , I scream into my mic as I parry a zweihander with a lute.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

I recommend trying a Horde server with max players, I've been in a 50 person one that reliably gets to the last wave and thats worth at least 1000 gold each time.

You have enough downtime when you die too for searching the map so I'm learning where all the spawns for everything are.

Yeah, the answer to my question about how the gently caress do they expect you to play horde without ranged cheese appears to be "play a server running horde with at least 24 people and hope the lag isn't too bad."

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 1, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nothing I'm doing is allowing me to make any progress in XP or money, in any game mode on any server, so head's up before you sink a bunch of time into Horde expecting a payout, it seems to be the same way as the rest of the servers for some of us.

Really want to try some of the weapon that the default dudes don't spawn with, like the crossbow or smallshields.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

Separately, the chuds on the steam forums are blowing a loving gasket about the fact that the developers are doing to put in :females:

Gonna be playing exclusively black lady characters with the weirdest faces the random generator can put out :getin:.

Also, the projectile/weapon physics are continually amazing:
https://i.imgur.com/O9qbj0C.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That's cool as hell my highlight reel consists of me getting shanked