Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Just got a mannequins three sisters filter and oh boy it's really a pity the Shared system doesn't include a nice versatile filter when you get it. The LPG are OK but they get quite limiting quickly.

This now changes everything:

http://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/sisters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Just got a mannequins three sisters filter and oh boy it's really a pity the Shared system doesn't include a nice versatile filter when you get it. The LPG are OK but they get quite limiting quickly.

This now changes everything:

http://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/sisters

Hey nice job, this rules. I get the idea of 'west coast synthesis' but you're right, having a nice filter available opens up a lot more options. What are you doing to get that cool tearing sound at ~1:04?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ortazel posted:

Hey nice job, this rules. I get the idea of 'west coast synthesis' but you're right, having a nice filter available opens up a lot more options. What are you doing to get that cool tearing sound at ~1:04?

Thank you! I think it is the echo parameter (time division) of the echophon delay being modulated by a LFO. It makes some kind of a record scratching effect when it jumps to a different time division, you can hear this many times in the track

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/rqzXBGqME-A

Synth youtubers need to be enabled to hang out all the time.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

So I'm looking to get my first synthesizer. Brand new into synths as I was not a fan of coloring in the blocks to make my music, I need some keys to play with. I'm looking at a used Roland JDXI for $360 on Craigslist as I want polyphony and the built-in drum kit drew me in. The other options I've been weighing are the ubiquitous and much-maligned Microkorg and the Novation Mininova. The new Behringer MS 101 sounds amazing but I don't want a monophonic synth as my first one. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

So I'm looking to get my first synthesizer. Brand new into synths as I was not a fan of coloring in the blocks to make my music, I need some keys to play with. I'm looking at a used Roland JDXI for $360 on Craigslist as I want polyphony and the built-in drum kit drew me in. The other options I've been weighing are the ubiquitous and much-maligned Microkorg and the Novation Mininova. The new Behringer MS 101 sounds amazing but I don't want a monophonic synth as my first one. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Check out behringers deepmind 6, you can probably pick one up well under $500 used. The korg minilogue is also nice for the price and with the recent release of an updated version I bet the originals are cheaper than ever.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I have no idea why anyone would bother with a ms101 when the novation BS2 just got that afx update with the overlay features

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Clavavisage posted:

I have no idea why anyone would bother with a ms101 when the novation BS2 just got that afx update with the overlay features

which '80s records was the BS2 used on?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bs 2 is a sh101 for cheap what’s not to like

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Bs 2 is a sh101 for cheap what’s not to like

I dropped the question* on youtube when the MS101 and boutique were getting press and the answer was basically "you weren't there, man, you wouldn't understaaaaand"

So see my last post.

*I said the Microbrute, but the argument is the same.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I've been really enjoying my OB-6 module recently, it's not too crazy, but it does produce some really distinguishable tones if you're into 80s sounding poo poo. I was The Black Queen use it live and I was hooked. Not sure it's quite the bass monster one might want, but my shittyish behringer model d can probably take care of that ok. TBD, it's reasonably chunky in unison mode when you stack enough voices and detune.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Vacuum tube Volca bass to be announced

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Vacuum tube Volca bass to be announced

FWIW, this looks like a nutube underneath a vacuum tube-shaped bubble, not a "real" vacuum tube like they had in the old electribes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr. Glass posted:

FWIW, this looks like a nutube underneath a vacuum tube-shaped bubble, not a "real" vacuum tube like they had in the old electribes.

That would match the nubass name.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That would match the nubass name.

i initially parsed it as "nub rear end" and now refuse to see it any other way

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Found this on craigslist after seeing the op recommendation. This thing is awesome!! How can I get it plugged into my PC so that I add a drum track and control ableton with it.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

goodness posted:

Found this on craigslist after seeing the op recommendation. This thing is awesome!! How can I get it plugged into my PC so that I add a drum track and control ableton with it.

The regular usb cable will suffice, microbrute has midi over usb. If you want to record audio from it, you'll need an audio interface.
I had to sell my microbrute years ago and I was always kinda bummed about it but but now I have access to a matrixbrute and that thing rocks and the wounds are healing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Flinger posted:

The regular usb cable will suffice, microbrute has midi over usb. If you want to record audio from it, you'll need an audio interface.
I had to sell my microbrute years ago and I was always kinda bummed about it but but now I have access to a matrixbrute and that thing rocks and the wounds are healing.

It should keep me happy enough until I have my basic eurorack setup complete. I may pick up a drum machine if I can find a good deal on one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I miss my MicroBruteRED so much. That thing was like razorblades. But my stupid CAT got SICK and I needed MONEY. :argh:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

rickiep00h posted:

I miss my MicroBruteRED so much. That thing was like razorblades. But my stupid CAT got SICK and I needed MONEY. :argh:

Is was catte okay? :ohdear:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ynohtna posted:

Is was catte okay? :ohdear:

After the combo of some pulled teeth and some antibiotics and a dietary change, he's still the vicious little poo poo as before.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

rickiep00h posted:

After the combo of some pulled teeth and some antibiotics and a dietary change, he's still the vicious little poo poo as before.

Yay! I guess it turns out that the real micro brute was the furry fiends the synths met along the way. :downs:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
So Behringer are prototyping a CS80 clone. I approve.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Plavski posted:

So Behringer are prototyping a CS80 clone. I approve.

I have the CS80 sound banks from Yamaha for my Montage and it's glorious. I would love to have a CS80 clone with all the sliders and buttons. It would go nice next to the Deepmind 12.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sadly though that would mainly gently caress over the makers of Deckards Dream, a tiny family run company in Japan.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

goodness posted:

As Flinger said the USB will send/transmit MIDI into/out of your DAW (Ableton) but you will need an audio interface* if you want to record/process the sound in Ableton.

* If you're expecting to add more hardware in the future then consider buying a combined Audio/MIDI interface.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I expect them to miniaturize and SMDify a lot of the design which will be interesting to see. I'm most curious about whether they'll do poly aftertouch, since that's kind of a huge aspect of its original character.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

toadee posted:

Sadly though that would mainly gently caress over the makers of Deckards Dream, a tiny family run company in Japan.

Unlikely. The behringer model d didn't kill off Moog. Entirely different markets.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
It looks like Yamaha is also putting out feelers in that direction. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/04/30/yamaha-considering-making-a-modern-cs-80-synthesizer/

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

toadee posted:

This is a dude also best known for selling straight copies of Buchla PCBs, so don’t feel too bad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
don’t see a ribbon, cancelled preorder

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There is one look closer

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Oh wow. Behringer :vince:

drat it looks really good too.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Welp :pusheen:

Looks like I have a purchase mistake ahead if that sounds any good.

Edit: Points off for them not calling it the BS-80

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Ds80 Day 1 hotfix notes: Units were shipped with ms101 firmware, this is problematic

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've got an Audiothingies Micromonsta on its way to me from France, and it's be my first synth purchase for 20+ years. I have a feeling that it won't be my last synth either. I know how deep the synth rabbit hole can be... lol

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhizQOClCAM

Really nice new demo. Man, they can't ship this soon enough. Those sounds are so nice.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

fuctifino posted:

I've got an Audiothingies Micromonsta on its way to me from France, and it's be my first synth purchase for 20+ years. I have a feeling that it won't be my last synth either. I know how deep the synth rabbit hole can be... lol

It's a lovely synth. I just sold mine as I use my modular now, but it has great sounds and is really feature rich. The arpeggiator is great and the MPE support is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

fuctifino posted:

Synths are like very expensive Potato Chips. You can't have just one.

I'm up to three now which is also over $5,000 in gear. Each time I get one I say the same thing, this is all I need! RIGHT! My brain goes in to "gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY" mode when I see another one that looks nice.