Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
i wrote a quick news update on Bitfinex/Tether and that inconvenient near-billion-dollar hole in their accounts.

orange juche posted:

So Craig :wrong:, or "Satoshi Nakamoto" as he likes to claim, may be mining BCH again, and controls over 41% of the mining pool. Butt nutters think that he is trying to restart the hash wars and try to 51% attack BCH to prove that his particular brand of shitcoin is the one true shitcoin.

https://hacked.com/satoshi-nakamoto-is-mining-cryptocurrency-again-bitcoin-cash-attack-imminent/

I present to you: Prof. Dr. Dr. Nakamoto Jones, Man Of Action:

quote:

I was offline for much of January 2011. During the time, I had travelled to Venezuela where I was working with a “Jawbreaker” team. The work was focused on stopping the trafficking of humans for the sex trade. I was in “prevention.” I did not bring people to justice, I worked with teams to stop things, permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

like a modern day prometheus he brought fire down to earth so that people would stop doing crimes, then he left us to become a modern day batman just punching the crime out of people, returning dejected after discovering that punching people doesn't stop crime only to find that in his absence people had figured out how to use fire to do crimes. such a tragic figure.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
bcash sv-ii to replace proof-of-work with satoshi's true vision, a new and vastly more efficient consensus algorithm called "stop-arguing-with-me-or-i'll-sue-your-punk-rear end"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Soricidus posted:

bcash sv-ii to replace proof-of-work with satoshi's true vision, a new and vastly more efficient consensus algorithm called "stop-arguing-with-me-or-i'll-sue-your-punk-rear end"

aka the boxturret`s mom algorithm

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Has anyone said bcack yet?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

if its fake then :five:

if its real then a different kind of :five:

the dude signing for both bitfinx and tether is absolutely real

can you believe that mean attorney general lady wants to make a big deal out of it

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

AlbieQuirky posted:

the dude signing for both bitfinx and tether is absolutely real

can you believe that mean attorney general lady wants to make a big deal out of it

bitcoin is beautiful sometimes :)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

tether's attorneys are saying this is totes not a conflict of interest but, ah, cannot explain why this sort of thing would be in the best interests of tether holders

conversely it would be hilarious if they've basically rediscovered fractional reserve banking

except they've hosed it up

just lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Weatherman posted:

aka the boxturret`s mom algorithm

:hmmyes:

kw0134 posted:

tether's attorneys are saying this is totes not a conflict of interest but, ah, cannot explain why this sort of thing would be in the best interests of tether holders

conversely it would be hilarious if they've basically rediscovered fractional reserve banking

except they've hosed it up

just lol

they literally say several times that banks run fractional reserves therefore everyone should be able to use fractional reserves since they are obviously a good thing

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1123438017392386049

LOL, apparently Bitfinex didn't take a look at the court filings at all when they responded to the charges.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i lust for bitfinex death

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

...! posted:

they literally say several times that banks run fractional reserves therefore everyone should be able to use fractional reserves since they are obviously a good thing
bitcoin! it's decentralized (nevermind that all the mining/exchanges are heavily centralized) and it avoids the evils of central banks (except when central banks are issuing white papers that don't immediately call for the banning of cryptos forever) and it doesn't have any inflation (except that bitcoin is strongly inflationary to pay the centralized miners) and your money won't be devalued somehow by fractional reserve banking (except when your insolvent exchange does it) and you can avoid the power of the evil government (except when you get scammed and why didn't the men with guns protect us)

the intellectual and moral bankruptcy goes fantastic with their literal bankruptcy

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/1123438017392386049

LOL, apparently Bitfinex didn't take a look at the court filings at all when they responded to the charges.

they did, this is just a clueless reddit support peon

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

they did, this is just a clueless reddit support peon

are you sure? i've heard "garbis" before but i can't quite place it...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you should place it in the garbis where it belongs, hth

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
bitcoin: garbis all the way down

...!
Oct 5, 2003

For those that played Runescape (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 10 hours ago by Spasyeniye

Do you see the similarities between bitcoin and rares in the game like party hats? There is only a certain amount of party hats in the game and they were cheap and easy to get when they first came out. Then they were discontinued and they kept rising in value over time.

I just looked at a website selling them for USD and the price of a blue party hat is $5,150! All that money just for an item only valued by the limited amount of people that play Runescape.

So if the community of just one game can make a digital item be worth so much, how much could Bitcoin be worth if it was adopted globally?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

lumenaudiredditor for 3 months 3 points 9 hours ago

For those who want to see what happens to the price of an asset when max supply isn’t capped, checkout the same item on OSRS.
http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_oldschool/Blue_partyhat/viewitem?obj=1042

inflation

Bitcoin_puzzlerredditor for 2 weeks [score hidden] 39 minutes ago

Wow, the moment when you realize that a game gives you a better financial forecast than any (central) banker or economist would.

Bitcoin_puzzlerredditor for 2 weeks [score hidden] 41 minutes ago

Party hats are the perfect example. Runescape gold and in game gold in general is very inflationary due to making the game easy enough to play (you should easily get wealth to buy and play).

So there is a tremendous amount of gold coins, just like there are tremendous amount of dollars (to play the labor game).

In runescape indeed party hats with the blue one the most rare are scare, so people buy it to hedge against in game inflation.

Now we have bitcoin, who is also scarce and will become our blue party hat. You can see that we do value a blue party hat in game at $5k, it is just pixels, but we value them. Here you can clearly see how the young generation defers from the older generation. Anyone below 40 would agree that the party hat can cost something like that. Anyone above 40 thinks we are crazy to pay that kind of money for some pixels.

Right now that latter group is in power (banks, politics, central banks, stockmarket). As soon as the younger group gets more established and gain power/wealth we will see a tremendous swift of "real life" wealth to digital wealth like bitcoin.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

...! posted:

lol

For those who want to see what happens to the price of an asset when max supply isn’t capped, checkout the same item on OSRS.
http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_oldschool/Blue_partyhat/viewitem?obj=1042

inflation

Wow, the moment when you realize that a game gives you a better financial forecast than any (central) banker or economist would.

Party hats are the perfect example. Runescape gold and in game gold in general is very inflationary due to making the game easy enough to play (you should easily get wealth to buy and play).

So there is a tremendous amount of gold coins, just like there are tremendous amount of dollars (to play the labor game).

In runescape indeed party hats with the blue one the most rare are scare, so people buy it to hedge against in game inflation.

Now we have bitcoin, who is also scarce and will become our blue party hat. You can see that we do value a blue party hat in game at $5k, it is just pixels, but we value them. Here you can clearly see how the young generation defers from the older generation. Anyone below 40 would agree that the party hat can cost something like that. Anyone above 40 thinks we are crazy to pay that kind of money for some pixels.

Right now that latter group is in power (banks, politics, central banks, stockmarket). As soon as the younger group gets more established and gain power/wealth we will see a tremendous swift of "real life" wealth to digital wealth like bitcoin.

Butts are party hats, it all makes sense :hmmyes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

mongodb... but with blockchain!!!

https://medium.com/provendb/introducing-provendb-7a92efe6e6f3

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Gotta hand it to the butters: purchasing digital party hats at $5k is a good hedge against wealth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
so i noticed that bitfinex says tether is 74% backed by 2.1 bn in "cash and cash equivalents"

i wonder what the actual ration of cash/cryptocurrency is

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

orange juche posted:

Butts are party hats, it all makes sense :hmmyes:

true i mean i putt my butt on urmom's head all the time so

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

...! posted:

lol

inflation

you need to diversify your investments, have you heard of team fortress 2?

i love how the bitcoiner brain goes from "X is rare so it has a lot of value" to "anything that is rare must be valuable" and the only reason other people dont agree is that they are old.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

CampingCarl posted:

the bitcoiner brain

lol

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Finally something that makes mongo even more dumbfuck stupid.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

CampingCarl posted:

you need to diversify your investments, have you heard of team fortress 2?

i love how the bitcoiner brain goes from "X is rare so it has a lot of value" to "anything that is rare must be valuable" and the only reason other people dont agree is that they are old.

somehow agreeing a worthless thing can be overvalued is held as a proof of value which is impressively dumb

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

Here you can clearly see how the young generation defers from the older generation. Anyone below 40 would agree that the party hat can cost something like that. Anyone above 40 thinks we are crazy to pay that kind of money for some pixels.

yep nobody under 40 thinks you're an idiot for paying $5000 for a digital hat for your character in a game for children

nobody at all

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

yep nobody under 40 thinks you're an idiot for paying $5000 for a digital hat for your character in a game for children

nobody at all

Runescape is not a game for children, it's a game for mentally ill adults, who's been playing it for over a decade.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

For those that played Runescape (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 10 hours ago by Spasyeniye

Do you see the similarities between bitcoin and rares in the game like party hats? There is only a certain amount of party hats in the game and they were cheap and easy to get when they first came out. Then they were discontinued and they kept rising in value over time.

I just looked at a website selling them for USD and the price of a blue party hat is $5,150! All that money just for an item only valued by the limited amount of people that play Runescape.

So if the community of just one game can make a digital item be worth so much, how much could Bitcoin be worth if it was adopted globally?

I just looked at a website selling them for usd and the [asking] price of a blue party hat was $2100. so either that poster was exaggerating for effect, the price is insanely volatile, and/or the market is completely irrational. this is an indication that the blue party hat has extremely high utility, not that it's being speculated on. it couldn't possibly be that the cost is zero for storing inventory, so there's no incentive for sellers to price competitively, and the prices are just aspirational for the sellers.

it's almost like bitcoiners don't care if anyone is actually buying at that price or why as long as big number

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

as far as i can tell the price is different to a wide degree by exchange so this makes a lot of sense in bitcoin terms

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

it's almost like bitcoiners don't care if anyone is actually buying at that price or why as long as big number

but if we all just agree that each bitcoin is worth $100,000 then i'll personally be rich!!!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Nice! posted:

so i noticed that bitfinex says tether is 74% backed by 2.1 bn in "cash and cash equivalents"

i wonder what the actual ration of cash/cryptocurrency is

you give me $100, and I write you an iou. then i spend the $100 on drugs and hookers, and i'm dead broke in general, so that iou isn't backed by anything.

but wait! i write another $100 iou, and just keep it for myself. now my ious are 50% backed by "cash equivalents"! there are no flaws in this brilliant scheme

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
IOU at UCI
IOU at UCI
China Illinois China Illinois,
China Illinois China Illinois
China
Illi
Nois no nois man,
China Illinois China Illinois
IOU at UCI
IOU at UCI

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1123592943871225857

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

I don't think you'll have any problem with this particular adjustment

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol its not even a proper party hat its one of those terrible paper crowns you get out of christmas crackers

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

lol its not even a proper party hat its one of those terrible paper crowns you get out of christmas crackers

discount jughead coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

Where do snowmen keep their money?
In a snowbank!