Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm so hyped for Midsommar, even as a giant superhero turbo dork loser I'm 100 times more hyped for it than Endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’ll definitely check some of those out, possibly while gnawing on lumps of Parmesan and shoo fly pie for extra authenticity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Burkion posted:

It MIGHT have made him less racist, at least in the way he was anyways.

ALmost all of his racism was pure terror over 'they're not like me and I don't understand!'

If he could chill the gently caress out he'd probably have been in a better place

No, he'd have written The Spaced-Out Coloureds, The Jazz Music of Erich Zann and several stories about Ganjathotep. And all the black characters would be brutish miscegenated types who bogarted.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aw hell yeah it's not horror but they added NWR's Pusher trilogy to Shudder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I also got an email that Lets Scare Jessica to Death has been added to the Shudder add-on channel through Prime, for anyone who was waiting for that(me!).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I also got an email that Lets Scare Jessica to Death has been added to the Shudder add-on channel through Prime, for anyone who was waiting for that(me!).

I was!!! Thanks for the heads up. :hfive:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHgZRGLgo0

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Esme posted:

What's some more cosmic horror I can watch? I've already seen:

Messiah of Evil. It's more lightly cosmic than some of the other suggestions, but it's drat good.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Almost Blue posted:

Messiah of Evil. It's more lightly cosmic than some of the other suggestions, but it's drat good.

Seconded, but make sure you see a decent version of it. The one on Prime was washed out and ugly enough to be a total waste of time when I tried watching it a few years back. The Blu Ray is good though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That he wrote this to the writer of Conan The Barbarian makes it extra funny, somehow.

Neo Rasa posted:

In my household growing up (and in my home today) it is acceptable to buy a block of parmesan and just hack of pieces to eat as a snack with whatever.

This should be acceptable anywhere because it's extremely good, good parmesan tastes very good on its own.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

That he wrote this to the writer of Conan The Barbarian makes it extra funny, somehow.

They were actually good friends, and Lovecraft-Old Ones show up in the classic Conan stories

Until Howard killed himself anyways a year before Lovecraft's own death.

Being a writer in the 30s sucked.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Burkion posted:

Being a writer in the 30s sucked.

It's such a shame to think of how much Howard could have been helped with modern psychological help and medicine. Back then they just wrote him off as "that eccentric writer who shadowboxed down the sidewalk in preparation for being attacked," while today someone would be like, holy poo poo that man is a walking red flag.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tart Kitty posted:

It's such a shame to think of how much Howard could have been helped with modern psychological help and medicine. Back then they just wrote him off as "that eccentric writer who shadowboxed down the sidewalk in preparation for being attacked," while today someone would be like, holy poo poo that man is a walking red flag.

It honestly is really sad, and a tragic case study for depression.

The man was an honest to God success, recognized for his work in his own time. It didn't matter. People point to his mom dying as the trigger but really it could have been anything. He was just miserable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
OTOH the outlet of writing fantasy stories probably kept Robert E. Howard from killing people.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Heck, there goes my unbroken giallo series for May, I'mma watch this right now

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like Howard's depression came solely from internal factors, he witnessed his home town go from a prosperous little village to a devastated ghost town when industrialization ravaged his county. That's where all the anti-civilization themes in his work come from, he saw what monstrous things "progress" can do to the people who aren't in charge. His family life wasn't great, either.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Burkion posted:

It MIGHT have made him less racist, at least in the way he was anyways.

ALmost all of his racism was pure terror over 'they're not like me and I don't understand!'

If he could chill the gently caress out he'd probably have been in a better place

Lovecraft married a jewish woman and she had to keep reminding him she was jewish when he'd go on anti-semitic rants and eventually left him for it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I once smuggled a kilo of parmesan across international borders.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tart Kitty posted:

shadowboxed down the sidewalk in preparation for unlocking the puzzle box with the lament configuration.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catfishenfuego posted:

Lovecraft married a jewish woman and she had to keep reminding him she was jewish when he'd go on anti-semitic rants and eventually left him for it.

Yes and?

I didn't excuse his poo poo baggery. Understanding what's wrong with some one is not the same as condoning it.

Lovecraft was a terrified man who didn't understand or trust a lot of things in the world

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

After 5 years I finally watched As Above, So Below all the way through. I probably wouldn't watch it again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Untrustable posted:

After 5 years I finally watched As Above, So Below all the way through. I probably wouldn't watch it again.
It's great and I need to rewatch it because I think the last time I saw it was in theaters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

I've watched that movie like 5 times. To each their own I guess.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My problem with AASB was that despite its cool premise of a catacomb passage to Hell, most of the runtime was just people dying to what you could chalk up to accidents. You don't get the cool surreal Hell stuff until like the last third of the movie.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. And it's not that I don't enjoy slow burns, I mean I enjoy Ti West's really slow horror movies (yes, even The Innkeepers), it's just that AASB didn't quite do it for me the way it did for most people in here.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

AASB is the only found footage movie I like besides the original Blair Witch and August Underground

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I posted in the May challenge thread about this already but I wanted to recommend Hagazussa in this thread too. It's a German film very similar to The VVitch, only slower, and if you like slow-burn folk horror I highly recommend checking it out. Beautiful visuals and music and some genuinely disturbing parts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I posted in the May challenge thread about this already but I wanted to recommend Hagazussa in this thread too. It's a German film very similar to The VVitch, only slower, and if you like slow-burn folk horror I highly recommend checking it out. Beautiful visuals and music and some genuinely disturbing parts.

Is there a goat?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Is there a goat?

there is!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kvlt! posted:

AASB is the only found footage movie I like besides the original Blair Witch and August Underground

have...you not watched Noroi?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

You don't like the VHS movies? Or the McPherson Tape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDx0TgxoOgE

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
IIRC isn't Kvlt into like really really hardcore gore and stuff? As much as I like the V/H/S movies they don't hit the levels he's looking for

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not to talk for him, he can elaborate himself, but Kvlt! has really bad motion sickness, so most FF movies are out for him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mark me down as glad found footage is dead

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Can someone give me an overview of how Shudder works? Like does it come with Prime or something? If I have Prime do I get it?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Mark me down as glad found footage is dead

you're my enemy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Can someone give me an overview of how Shudder works? Like does it come with Prime or something? If I have Prime do I get it?

you pay them money and you get horror movies to stream; no; no

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

OldTennisCourt posted:

Have you heard of Netflix or Hulu

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

You can get it as either it’s own service or a Prime add on, the prime add on doesn’t have all the movies though. I have it on prime but if they had a PS4 app I’d switch.

Edit: do I get a prize for being the only one to not respond like a dickhead

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OldTennisCourt posted:

You can subscribe directly through Shudder or you can add a Shudder subscription to your Amazon Prime.

If you subscribe through Shudder, you get movies immediately when they come out. You can use the Shudder app on Roku or iOS or the website.

If you get it through Amazon Prime, you ONLY get it through Amazon Prime app. Some of the more risque titles they have do not go on Amazon Prime. You can search through the Prime subscription through the Shudder channel. Otherwise--what worked well for me until I was able to use the Roku app instead of Prime--you'll have to see if what you want is on the Shudder site (free to browse) and then search for it on Prime and add it to your wishlist. It gets even weirder, because sometimes there's overlap with other subscription services, STARZ or Full Moon or whatever, and you may have to scroll a bit to find the one specific to your Shudder subscription.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You can get it as either it’s own service or a Prime add on, the prime add on doesn’t have all the movies though. I have it on prime but if they had a PS4 app I’d switch.

This is my issue, I have it on XBox but I rarely use it and loving hate it's interface and controller so I don't use it. If I could watch it on my PS4 I'd be so glad, I have Prime on it so I was hoping there was a workaround there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No, because you still foolishly believe there will be a PS4 app one day. I hear they're going to get it as soon as Filmstruck launches theirs.