Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mastajake posted:

Just read the headline, so sorry if it's in the article, but what is the point of giving out shiny Pokemon in the game where getting one legitimately is the easiest it's ever been? I have 6 shiny Pikachu there.

Children consistently tweet at Serebii Joe that the information on his site is wrong because they caught 300 Pokemon and never saw a shiny. There's definitely an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

do you think this is in the article. do you think normal people would prefer to chain like 100 catches
Yeah I have 0 Shinies in Let's Go because I would never ever do anything like that. Gimme the free Shinies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I saw and caught the first shiny I've ever seen (Crustle) literally last week. If your not specifically hunting for them they are not common at all. Speaking of Crustle why are so many shiny's puke green?

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Just as a quick question (since I'm still doing my Water-based run of Alpha Sapphire), is it better to put Surf on everything, even it it's focused on physical rather than special stats, or should I hold out for Waterfall (whenever it shows up)? Currently past the fifth gym, and clearing out a bunch of water locations. Will I run into the person that lets me delete HM moves eventually, or is that only in postgame?

Movesets so far (all pokemons are around LV33 or so)

Marshtomp

- Water Gun
- Bulldoze
- Strength
- Rock Slide

Gyarados

- Twister
- Ice Fang
- Bite
- Bulldoze

Tentacruel

- Acid Spray
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Pelipper

- Steel Wing
- Air Cutter
- Brine
- Protect

Azumarill

- Rock Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Ring
- Play Rough

Lombre

- Bubble Beam (will probably replace this with Surf)
- Giga Drain
- Uproar
- Rain Dance

Is this team alright, and are there better Water pokemon I could add? Currently considering Sharpedo (though Gyarados seems to cover the Dark type well enough) or Starmie (for wider coverage). Could also include Walrein later, but there seems to be less need for Ice now that Fairy is a thing (plus Gyarados has Ice Fang and I could put Ice Beam on something once the TM opens up).

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I've been playing a lot of Random Battles lately, and it's wild because sometimes you'll lose within 3 turns and other times you'll sweep 6-0 with a Skuntank.

Edit: Just KOed a Giratina with a Luvdisc. This is the best format

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 1, 2019

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dehry posted:

Children consistently tweet at Serebii Joe that the information on his site is wrong because they caught 300 Pokemon and never saw a shiny. There's definitely an audience.

Children in this very thread complain that they caught 300 Pokemon and never saw a shiny. It's even worse in the Go thread where people are convinced they are somehow shadowbanned from shinies because :niantic: Basic probability you learn in middle school just doesn't stick in people's brains.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
my shiny catcher Smeargle is my best friend.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Wyvernil posted:

Just as a quick question (since I'm still doing my Water-based run of Alpha Sapphire), is it better to put Surf on everything, even it it's focused on physical rather than special stats, or should I hold out for Waterfall (whenever it shows up)? Currently past the fifth gym, and clearing out a bunch of water locations. Will I run into the person that lets me delete HM moves eventually, or is that only in postgame?

Movesets so far (all pokemons are around LV33 or so)

Marshtomp

- Water Gun
- Bulldoze
- Strength
- Rock Slide

Gyarados

- Twister
- Ice Fang
- Bite
- Bulldoze

Tentacruel

- Acid Spray
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Pelipper

- Steel Wing
- Air Cutter
- Brine
- Protect

Azumarill

- Rock Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Ring
- Play Rough

Lombre

- Bubble Beam (will probably replace this with Surf)
- Giga Drain
- Uproar
- Rain Dance

Is this team alright, and are there better Water pokemon I could add? Currently considering Sharpedo (though Gyarados seems to cover the Dark type well enough) or Starmie (for wider coverage). Could also include Walrein later, but there seems to be less need for Ice now that Fairy is a thing (plus Gyarados has Ice Fang and I could put Ice Beam on something once the TM opens up).

I wouldn't bother with surf on everything because you already have STAB water covered thrice, but I guess ultimately it depends on how easy it is to access the move deleter.

When calculated I believe damage is multiplied by [attack stat divided by defense stat] so I guess it depends on how dramatic the difference is?

Specifically:
Surf is BP 90 IIRC, so if 135*SP.ATK=>[other move BP]*ATK then do it, else don't.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Children in this very thread complain that they caught 300 Pokemon and never saw a shiny. It's even worse in the Go thread where people are convinced they are somehow shadowbanned from shinies because :niantic: Basic probability you learn in middle school just doesn't stick in people's brains.

It's me. I'm the weirdo who periodically complains that I have now masuda method bred over 100 eggs in moon and ultra moon each, with the same pokemon and shiny charm in each in each attempt, and have never seen a shiny hatch. At least it won't matter, since they'll be banned from competitive next gen again anyway.

In Pikachu version, I caught 16 Growlithes and a shiny Pidgey showed up. No charm. That game is just made to hand them out like crazy.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Hrist posted:

It's me. I'm the weirdo who periodically complains that I have now masuda method bred over 100 eggs in moon and ultra moon each, with the same pokemon and shiny charm in each in each attempt, and have never seen a shiny hatch. At least it won't matter, since they'll be banned from competitive next gen again anyway.

In Pikachu version, I caught 16 Growlithes and a shiny Pidgey showed up. No charm. That game is just made to hand them out like crazy.

I lost track long ago of how many Skidoo I bred in Y but it would have been easily over 100. Same for Pyukumyuku and Mint Flavoured Rowlet in Moon and Ultra Moon. In Black the first Audino I found was shiny and in Black 2 my first Purrloin was too. I was pretty stoked with my wild white Staryu in Ultra Moon and someone ended up trading me their wild caught Shiny Pyuke anyway so I am happy :kimchi:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My first ever shiny (other than Red Gyarados who doesn't count) was purple Drowzee in Silver. I was playing past my bedtime by the crack of light under my door and was so excited I ran out to tell everyone. Mum knew shiny Pokemon were super rare and cool so I didn't even get in trouble :c00l:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
My first shiny was a Zubat. After looking it up online, I realized that all 3 evolutions look ugly at. Then I looked around on Serebii and realized that a majority of shinies look worse.

And that's why I was rather nonplussed getting two shinies just playing Let's Go.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I think my first shiny caught in the wild that's not a red Gyarados was probably a Manectric in Friend Safari in Y. I was very surprised to find it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve found a few shinies doing the warp tunnel mini game in US and a few in LGE chaining for good IVs and I rather go with LG’s way of shiny hunting. I looked up how it works in US and hot drat that’s a garbage mechanic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've played every generation and I've never seen a shiny.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Wyvernil: Lanturn might be a good option once you get Dive and can reach it, since having something that can hit Team Aqua other than Lombre/Ludicolo's Giga Drain might be very handy to have.

I might be biased though because it was a late-game mainstay of my Alpha Sapphire team.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

I've played every generation and I've never seen a shiny.

Technically that's impossible as Gen 2 features an encounter with a shiny Gyarados as part of the plot (which is also the only one I've ever encountered when playing these games, though then again I don't really care about going out of my way to look for them).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've run into a few random shinies - a Goomy and a Skiddo in Y, an Aron and a Houndour in Go and a Graveler-A in Ultra Moon (which I was frankly amazed to catch before it exploded).

Funnily enough, all three of the ones I've found in main series games are when I was just trying to get from A to B and didn't think to put on Repel.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I found a shiny Psyduck in Diamond when I was like 11 or so.

That’s the last time I’ve found a non-plot shiny. I’ve gotten Pokerus more than I’ve found shinies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My first shiny was a Spinarak in HG, he's blue :3:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I've had a few over the years (including one from a Safari Zone) but the only one that's been on a main team is the Carvanha I found while I was Feebas-hunting in Alpha Sapphire.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

I've run into a few random shinies - a Goomy and a Skiddo in Y, an Aron and a Houndour in Go and a Graveler-A in Ultra Moon (which I was frankly amazed to catch before it exploded).

Funnily enough, all three of the ones I've found in main series games are when I was just trying to get from A to B and didn't think to put on Repel.

Yeah, I usually just sell Repels. So I find a Shiny once every game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I caught a Shiny Mew in the original Red version. :meowth:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I shiny hunt a lot and it is a good way to pass some time while watching tv and helps me from getting wasted and ordering ubereats.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

omnibobb posted:

I shiny hunt a lot and it is a good way to pass some time while watching tv and helps me from getting wasted and ordering ubereats.

You can do both you know

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I traded away a shiny Pichu (via plaza) and Rowlet (wonder) because I didn't notice. The Pichu person graciously noticed and sent it back afterwards.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't understand why people want shiny Pokemon. What is the appeal?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre shiny and rare see a doctor

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super No Vacancy posted:

theyre shiny and rare see a doctor

I mean, I don't go out hunting for shinies, but I'll definitely keep one on my team for longer than I should when I do find one.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't understand why people want shiny Pokemon. What is the appeal?

Some people like getting rare Pokemon, Some people do the battle towers, some people like contests, some people just want to beat the game.

I appreciate that there's a variety of stuff to do.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Iron Crowned posted:

You can do both you know

Nah ill gently caress it up

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Pokeathlon sucks and makes my thumbs very tired

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Chansey's 1% spawn rate in all second gen games can suck my left nut.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My first shiny was Chinchou who loving owns and has an awesome shiny colour. Long lost to my gold cart's dead battery though.

My second was Aron in gba Sapphire who I still have. Bronze Aggron owns.

My third was Haunter in Moon. Didn't even notice at first.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Oyster posted:

Chansey's 1% spawn rate in all second gen games can suck my left nut.

a.k.a. the pistachio

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Pokemon Pass app is live. You need to log in at Pokemon.com with a trainer club account then approve the usage of Pokemon Pass in settings to be able to use it.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/app/pokemon-pass/

The app requires location services which might be their way of making sure people actually go to a store.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New Detective Pikachu trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo1YKTvM2Uc

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I haven't been this hyped for a movie in some time, I need to borrow someone's kids so I don't look like a pervert

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a movie in some time, I need to borrow someone's kids so I don't look like a pervert

Dude, it'll be full of adults. Don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

Target audience demographic is deffo 23-35 with parents and children as a bonus.