Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wheeee posted:

If there's ever a universal basic income without strict regulations on rent prices it'll effectively just end up as a handout to landlords and everyone will still be poor

Not just rent I think. Everybody circlejerks about UBI like the cost of living isn’t just going to just increase by the same amount as soon as it gets implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Not just rent I think. Everybody circlejerks about UBI like the cost of living isn’t just going to just increase by the same amount as soon as it gets implemented.

There is precedent for this, since I was in the market for a home as a first time home buyer after Obama signed that $8k tax break into law, all of a sudden all houses were $8000 more expensive.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Poor people telling themselves that money isn't worth it because the cost of everything will just go up is one of the most inexplicably sociopathic things in all of society. I've seen it in all demographics, all regions, all types of poor people, from white trash to compton.

Stop believing this loving nonsense. Stop repeating this loving nonsense.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KillHour posted:

I really really like Android Auto and I basically can't live without it. Have you seen the navigation built into cars? Horrendous.

I also travel for work where I need navigation and rent a lot of cars where I don't want to have to figure out their stupid infotainment. I literally will refuse a Toyota as a rental because they still don't have it. I mean, WTF?

I'd say it depends on the car and what other features are available. If the car has a decent HUD that pairs well with the navigation then Google Maps usually ends up being pretty poor by comparison. I'll usually take marginally okay integrated navigation with extra features like HUD/digital gauge arrows over screen mirroring Google Maps, especially if it means plugging the phone in.

Edit- But to be clear, I'm saying that I find plugging my phone in for mirroring to be marginally useful compared to just sticking the phone in a mount for situations where I need navigation. Google Maps is super useful, I just don't find AA screen mirroring to really be a killer feature.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Stop believing this loving nonsense. Stop repeating this loving nonsense.

It's a good way to sort people who don't even have a basic understanding of economics, though. Like, no, you aren't going to ever cause runaway inflation by handing out money unless you are literally just printing that money. That isn't how inflation works.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 1, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I also would just like the car iPad to mirror my phone.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

The nav in my Dodge is pretty decent. Not as good as google maps but better than most other ones I've used.

Said it before and I'll say it again, in lots of environments it's super useful to have maps that update often, for traffic and other reasons, so even if I had a Bentley I'd probably be sticking my phone on a mount. For most (all?) OEMs that data is an added subscription.

CarPlay is OK but I almost prefer the mount. You lose features in Waze that you'd have on the phone version, for example.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

BloodBag posted:

There is precedent for this, since I was in the market for a home as a first time home buyer after Obama signed that $8k tax break into law, all of a sudden all houses were $8000 more expensive.

Yeah that's really anecdotal and could have been due to any number of market factors

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Paradoxish posted:

It's a good way to sort people who don't even have a basic understanding of economics, though. Like, no, you aren't going to ever cause runaway inflation by handing out money unless you are literally just printing that money. That isn't how inflation works.

Yep. It's been proven again and again that the best avenue for providing public welfare is direct transfer of funds, and that it generates significant economic stimulus.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 1, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. It's been proven again and again that the best avenue for providing public welfare is direct transfer of funds, and generates significant economic stimulus.

Really the point is, don't even try. Probably. Definitely.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sits on Pilster posted:

Yeah that's really anecdotal and could have been due to any number of market factors

also almost nobody ever hikes the price of houses up, the game is to let people bid it up above asking price

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

I'd say it depends on the car and what other features are available. If the car has a decent HUD that pairs well with the navigation then Google Maps usually ends up being pretty poor by comparison. I'll usually take marginally okay integrated navigation with extra features like HUD/digital gauge arrows over screen mirroring Google Maps, especially if it means plugging the phone in.

The HUD issue is huge. Until they come up with some sort of standard API for CarPlay and Android Auto to publish their navigation cues to a HUD, the built-in nav for cars with that equipment is going to look pretty good. I'm not holding my breath for that API, either.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. It's been proven again and again that the best avenue for providing public welfare is direct transfer of funds, and that it generates significant economic stimulus.

Even better is to pump it in to infrastructure spending. You not only get economic stimulus from a bunch of people having jobs that give them money to buy poo poo, you also get stuff that's a public good out of it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

The HUD issue is huge. Until they come up with some sort of standard API for CarPlay and Android Auto to publish their navigation cues to a HUD, the built-in nav for cars with that equipment is going to look pretty good. I'm not holding my breath for that API, either.

Yeah, the truth is that driving with a HUD + even mediocre navigation system still beats great phone navigation pretty hard. That's part of why I want wireless mirroring so badly. Without using the phone for navigation, the extra step of actually plugging a phone into a USB port makes the whole thing feel kind of clunky. That's twice as true with any car that uses a proximity key, because it screws up the whole flow of leaving literally everything in your pockets.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wireless android auto is a thing now though? It's just very new. I just designed and 3d printed a wireless charger base holder and stand that fits in the cupholder so I didnt have to plug my phone into anything in my 04 Tacoma. It has little arms so phone wont fly off of it. I'm doing the best with what I have.

My phone (note 8) just got the update to use it last month and head units that are compatible just hit the market less than a year ago. I'm installing the head unit shortly

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MikeyTsi posted:

Even better is to pump it in to infrastructure spending. You not only get economic stimulus from a bunch of people having jobs that give them money to buy poo poo, you also get stuff that's a public good out of it.

The military industrial complex would prove otherwise. The days of the CCC are gone. It’d all be squandered to bolster preferred contractors.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just decided to check in on the local Facebook trading post to see people's bad decisions and there was a guy trying to get out of his 2014 Escalade that he still owned 49k. as sad as that is, a bunch of people were interested.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

as my fill ups break into triple digit territory a c-segment car is looking nicer and nicer

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WTF do you drive?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

F-150 with a 36 gallon tank?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

C-segment implies not from the U.S.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cant speak for android auto but apple carplay just has so much wasted screen real estate that its fuckin pointless.

you could have the album art on the now playing screen, but lets just have a grey background with a line of white text on it and zero controls.

you could have a volume slider on the screen like your phone has, so that you dont need to jab a button 10 times to turn the volume up because we removed the volume dial, but instead they just dont use it for anything.

and unless you spend $1000 you are stuck with some matte finish resisitve touch display capable of displaying almost 80 colours.

and on top of that you need to have your phone plugged in to use it.

Im better off with my 2DIN head unit with dot matrix display and my phone in a magnetic cradle with google maps running on that. Siri still works fine, the screen is better, no cables, and Im not locked out of using other applications that dont have a Carplay version.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Please all continue to use text-heavy apps on your cradled phones in your cars while driving, it’s completely safe and distracted driving is in no way a serious problem that’s not really killing people.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Android Auto and Apple Carplay both feel like they were headed in the right direction but quit 30% of the way to the goal.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CarPlay and Android Auto would be a lot better if they mandated touch screens as a requirement. Having to use a click/jog wheel on an interface designed for touch is annoying.

I don't know if it's the same with Android Auto but in CarPlay, Spotify is limited to displaying only 300 items (artists, songs, albums, whatever). If you have more than that then you need to use the phone to access them which defeats the whole point of CarPlay. Apparently it's a completely arbitrary limit as people report that occasionally it glitches and everything will be available.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Laserface posted:

and unless you spend $1000 you are stuck with some matte finish resisitve touch display capable of displaying almost 80 colours.

As with most things tech, this is getting better. I just bought an alpine shallow unit that does AA/CP and is capacitive touch with a decent screen for $500 Canadian funbux, it doesn't have CD capabilities due to the shallow form factor but otherwise it's got features like any other radio.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Apple podcast app is completely unusable on the Apple car thing. Which is a bummer because the made the regular app worse to make it work better with car play.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

The Apple podcast app is completely unusable on the Apple car thing. Which is a bummer because the made the regular app worse to make it work better with car play.

Why aren’t you using Overcast anyway?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Android Auto is fantastic in my VW head unit. Waze works great, the voice assistant works fine for texting and saying "Navigate me to the nearest Whataburger" actually takes me where I want to go (mostly).

Yes, it limits what apps you can use, but it's pretty intuitive as long as the head unit is good, and you're comfortable with Android.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why aren’t you using Overcast anyway?

I probably should but still that would not solve the car play issue.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
A few years ago CarPlay felt like a huge letdown. However after they added support for Google Maps and Waze instead of just Apple Maps the experience improved tremendously. Upgrading from an iPhone 6 to a XR that doesn’t close apps randomly and poo poo itself, disconnecting from the head unit, also had a lot to do with it. I am running a Pioneer SPH-DA120 which has a nice capacitive screen and is only about 300 bucks now (was 600 a few years ago).

There are still lots of issues with clunky interfaces like the aforementioned Spotify lists, continuing your current podcast in Overcast, and finding albums by artist in Amazon Music. In most cases it is faster and more intuitive to select what you are trying to listen to on the phone than the head unit which is Bad and Dangerous.

The head unit is also clearly aimed at having steering wheel controls because it only has a few little lovely touch buttons on the side of it for volume and skip which are cumbersome. The 2019 Golf I drove still had the same issue, in order to pause something while you have navigation running you have to switch to the audio app, hit pause, then switch back.

It is by no means perfect but the fact that the infotainment experience has actually improved after a few years with no new hardware in the car is really cool. It makes me feel like it will get better in the future instead of just being abandoned.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Mr. Apollo posted:

CarPlay and Android Auto would be a lot better if they mandated touch screens as a requirement. Having to use a click/jog wheel on an interface designed for touch is annoying.

I don't know if it's the same with Android Auto but in CarPlay, Spotify is limited to displaying only 300 items (artists, songs, albums, whatever). If you have more than that then you need to use the phone to access them which defeats the whole point of CarPlay. Apparently it's a completely arbitrary limit as people report that occasionally it glitches and everything will be available.

I'm convinced that the dumb limits (there's also the "you can only touch x amount of times without braking" limit) on Android Auto cause more dangerous situations than they prevent because I have a feeling a lot of people will absolutely just reach for their phones to change the song if they can't do it on their infotainment.

The limits are also horrible if you ever drive with a passenger, because Android Auto always assumes that the driver is using the system, so even the passenger can't do anything. Some apps (like Waze) don't work for me on the phone screen while Android Auto is running, so if I'm driving with my wife and she wants to change destinations, she needs to unplug my phone, put in a destination, reconnect my phone, press play on Spotify and then switch back to Waze. It's absolutely ridiculous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t now car play does waze now. That’s a big improvement.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

euphronius posted:

I probably should but still that would not solve the car play issue.

overcast works great in carplay

when the ios 10 update to the apple podcast app was ruined so i completely gave up on it and went to overcast. no regrets

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

AA functions quite nicely on most Ford and GM cars, in my experience. Especially when you have a dedicated media key to toggle between it and the infotainment screens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drgitlin posted:

The CX-5 is miles better than the RAV4 in just about every way imaginable.

I'm interested in hearing more about this, because my wife was looking at snagging one of the early 2019 RAV4 Hybrids.

The main complaint I've seen is "unrefined engine" and "fisher price interior". This thing's primary duty will be kid hauler, and I'd hope that chunky black plastic holds up. Her commute is more than an hour each way in miserable, crushing city traffic and she's getting 18 or 19mpg in a Focus right now, so I can only assume that a CX5 would be worse. Hopefully the 41mpg city rated RAV4 would drink a lot less gas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm interested in hearing more about this, because my wife was looking at snagging one of the early 2019 RAV4 Hybrids.

The main complaint I've seen is "unrefined engine" and "fisher price interior". This thing's primary duty will be kid hauler, and I'd hope that chunky black plastic holds up. Her commute is more than an hour each way in miserable, crushing city traffic and she's getting 18 or 19mpg in a Focus right now, so I can only assume that a CX5 would be worse. Hopefully the 41mpg city rated RAV4 would drink a lot less gas.

i cant speak for the 2019 cx5 but my wife averages only 24mpg in her 2014 (fwd, 2.5L) over the past few years. i could probably get another mpg or two out of it if i were driving. it's really hard to get much more than 31mpg on the highway with it.

the skyactiv engine is loud as poo poo on startup and gets a bit quieter after warming up but it's definitely a bit loud for a modern engine.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ive been averaging 24 in a 2019 Cx-5 AWD Turbo.
This is fine for me. I wanted to enjoy myself when I drive, not save gas.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I live in Canada, in my city right now gas is $1.62/L

Hybrid Rav4 or Mazda3 or Golf lookin real good

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I live in Canada, in my city right now gas is $1.62/L

Hybrid Rav4 or Mazda3 or Golf lookin real good

And it's about to go up, the taps are gettin turned off, commie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009