Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Man, cruising around in the Regalia with your buds listening to old Final Fantasy soundtracks is so much fun.

edit: justice monsters five is a terrible 10 Gil coin-op game that would lose poo poo tons of money in real life. It’s way too easy, I never lost a game I just got really bored and suicided after an hour or so.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xad posted:

not MMO but certainly the last couple bits

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/957/

That link says it's in Japanese but I'm almost certain the English version it alludes to is available.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think there's a seperate translation patch or something. That said, there's also an Ancient Cave hack for the Advance version in English by the forums' own Can of Worms, hosted on the Four Job Fiesta Discord. I'm on mobile or I'd grab a link.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i want a massively multiplayer roguelike final fantasy with permadeath

So a MMO Chocobo’s Mystery Dungeon?

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

if you don't play X-2 next I don't know what you're even doing with your life

The best order is to play X-2 before X.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The best way to play FFX2 is to ignore the main game at all costs and pour dozens of hours into the Fiend Arena, so that when you hit NG+, you can drop Omega Weapon on Leblanc.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

YggiDee posted:

The best way to play FFX2 is to ignore the main game at all costs and pour dozens of hours into the Fiend Arena, so that when you hit NG+, you can drop Omega Weapon on Leblanc.

Or you can do both concurrently. Occasionally dipping into the fiend arena and unlocking tournaments while making your way through the main game will add and reinforce advantages you couldn't get from playing either alone, and ensures a smooth difficulty curve. Of course, it can be fun to unlock Youth League Cup in Chapter 1 asap too.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 29, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Let's put it this way, YRP are level 7 or so, I'm in Chapter 1, and I already have the Mascot dressphere.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm replaying ffix on the switch. I'm following a walkthrough to try to do absolutely everything but there have been multiple times where I've missed stuff just from the window you need to drop everything to backtrack to progress through a side quest is ridiculous. You also get way too powerful gear from questing. Sometimes I get like 3 item upgrades without getting into a fight. I'm having trouble keeping bosses alive long enough to steal from them. I feel like they realized fights were too slow and just cut a lot of combat out of the game instead of fixing the pacing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

rodbeard posted:

I'm replaying ffix on the switch. I'm following a walkthrough to try to do absolutely everything but there have been multiple times where I've missed stuff just from the window you need to drop everything to backtrack to progress through a side quest is ridiculous. You also get way too powerful gear from questing. Sometimes I get like 3 item upgrades without getting into a fight. I'm having trouble keeping bosses alive long enough to steal from them. I feel like they realized fights were too slow and just cut a lot of combat out of the game instead of fixing the pacing.

Maybe if you don't enjoy jumping through the sidequest hoops and you don't enjoy being overpowered from sidequest rewards, stop doing sidequests? If you use a walkthrough to get all the sidequest rewards and hidden treasures, you'll end up overpowered in pretty much any Final Fantasy.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Maybe if you don't enjoy jumping through the sidequest hoops and you don't enjoy being overpowered from sidequest rewards, stop doing sidequests? If you use a walkthrough to get all the sidequest rewards and hidden treasures, you'll end up overpowered in pretty much any Final Fantasy.

choosing to play in the least fun ways possible and then complaining about it is a staple of FF games. like the people who follow a guide to grind Tetra MasterTriple Triad cards/draw spells on Disc 1 of VIII on their first time or who turtle and chip away at health in XIII instead of learning to stagger

e: whoops wrong card game

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 1, 2019

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
The reflect x2 item and then casting spells on yourself that bounce off for double damage is a fun way to break FFIX. I think the points where you cannot backtrack make more sense if you are playing the original PSX discs, because generally switching discs was a point-if-no-return.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it's a powerful combo but it's expensive af. reflect x2 is like 16AP? maybe i'm thinking of reflect-null

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

choosing to play in the least fun ways possible and then complaining about it is a staple of FF games. like the people who follow a guide to grind Tetra Master cards/draw spells on Disc 1 of VIII on their first time or who turtle and chip away at health in XIII instead of learning to stagger

I think ranting would be a better word for it. I'm enjoying myself. It's odd how unnecessary the actual combat is to powering up. I'd probably be done with the game already if I didn't spend as much time playing cards as progressing.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

it's a powerful combo but it's expensive af. reflect x2 is like 16AP? maybe i'm thinking of reflect-null

I think they're both ridiculously expensive

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

morallyobjected posted:

choosing to play in the least fun ways possible and then complaining about it is a staple of FF games

I wish this could be the thread title.

Also something something about cutscene skippers complaining that the story is bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

I wish this could be the thread title.

Also something something about cutscene skippers complaining that the story is bad.

“Wait who’s this Yunalesca bitch and why am I fighting her? Ughhhh they really need to explain this poo poo”

*continues to mash x repeatedly at all times*

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Re-watching not-T40s LP Final Fantasy XV has made me really want to play it... I ddin't give it a fair shot the first time I watched it but it looks really fun.

I just need another, bigger SSD and a better GPU. Just like $300+. Bleh. That won't be happening any time soon. Still, maybe save up and come this fall....

But I wasn't paying attention at the time - what was the deal with the DLC and Square just randomly declaring "we're done!"? What exactly was lost? Like, Ardyn's DLC came out and there was supposed to be more but it's gone forever now?

Looking at the survey, some of the stuff like playable Iris can be taken care of with PC mods. But what about extra story content?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SE's tight-lipped about the details but tabata left to form his own studio before the second round of DLC could enter development, so only the ardyn episode got made

it was later revealed that the new dlc's would have totally changed the game's original story (and for the worse, to a degree i haven't seen since Burial at Sea), so tabata's resignation could have been due to personal ambition, frustration with management, creative differences or any combination of the three

either way he was one of the few competent project managers SE had left, and now all that remains is the FFXIV team and the shambling revenant of tetsuya nomura

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 1, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

SE's tight-lipped about the details but tabata left to form his own studio before the second round of DLC could enter development, so only the ardyn episode got made

it was later revealed that the new dlc's would have totally changed the game's original story (and for the worse, to a degree i haven't seen since Burial at Sea), so tabata's resignation could have been due to personal ambition, frustration with management, creative differences or any combination of the three

either way he was one of the few competent project managers SE had left, and now all that remains is the FFXIV team and the shambling revenant of tetsuya nomura

I only learned a couple days ago that they've also recently hired Yuji Naka. Which is an interesting option for a project leader, albeit not someone I'd probably put on a Final Fantasy game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They hired the ex-Tales producer that kept missing deadlines and formed a studio with him and he left recently having shown practically nothing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can anyone tell me where to go in FF7 after you get the Tiny Bronco? I tried going to the Temple of the Ancients but Cloud just shrugs his shoulders.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
The Gold Saucer iirc, check the museum in the Battle Square

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Technically you're supposed to go to the little house on the edge of the second continent. IIRC it's near Gungaga or Cosmo Canyon? You should be able to beach the Tiny Bronco near it. It has a guy who wanders around from one floor to the next and nothing else. He had the item you need to get into the Temple of the Ancients but he'll tell you he gave it to Dio at the Gold Saucer.

But, as ^ said, you can skip all that and just go to the Battle Square.

Oxxidation posted:

Well, I guess it's for the good we didn't get a bunch of story ruining DLC then. Thanks for the info.

Although there seems to have been a bad novel about FXV that ruins stuff, too? Maybe we can all ignore it like the FFX-2.5 novel.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 1, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

Technically you're supposed to go to the little house on the edge of the second continent. IIRC it's near Gungaga or Cosmo Canyon? You should be able to beach the Tiny Bronco near it. It has a guy who wanders around from one floor to the next and nothing else. He had the item you need to get into the Temple of the Ancients but he'll tell you he gave it to Dio at the Gold Saucer.

Well, I guess it's for the good we didn't get a bunch of story ruining DLC then. Thanks for the info.

Although there seems to have been a bad novel about FXV that ruins stuff, too? Maybe we can all ignore it like the FFX-2.5 novel.

That novel would been those dlcs before they got canned. I bet it probably kills Arena just to rub salt into the wound too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

The Novel is basically the DLC's that were cancelled. I don't think it's out.

EDIT: No wait, it's out. Can't find a summary. Can find this art of Future Aranea

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 1, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rirse posted:

That novel would been those dlcs before they got canned. I bet it probably kills Arena just to rub salt into the wound too.

Onmi posted:

The Novel is basically the DLC's that were cancelled. I don't think it's out.

EDIT: No wait, it's out. Can't find a summary. Can find this art of Future Aranea

Here is a post with spoilers:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1yjnpw7cz5cg4ml0iq40h5wk&page=2254#comment-56349

Not reading it because, well, spoilers that probably spoil the game. I did watch an LP of it already but, to be frank, I forgot alot. Also I'm reasonably certain Kuvo and friends missed a lot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So basically as was suspected as being introduced in Episode Ardyn

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NikkolasKing posted:

Here is a post with spoilers:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=1yjnpw7cz5cg4ml0iq40h5wk&page=2254#comment-56349

Not reading it because, well, spoilers that probably spoil the game. I did watch an LP of it already but, to be frank, I forgot alot. Also I'm reasonably certain Kuvo and friends missed a lot.

This is the most backwards rear end, tone-deaf poo poo I can imagine. Holy gently caress. At no point does any of that follow from the actual story of the loving game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

S.J. posted:

This is the most backwards rear end, tone-deaf poo poo I can imagine. Holy gently caress. At no point does any of that follow from the actual story of the loving game.

FFXV from Tabata: the world is capricious and often unkind but it's better to enjoy the time you have with the people you know, rather than retreating into isolation and nursing your bitterness over the hand you were dealt

FFXV without Tabata: so god is evil and you kill him, yeah

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bahamut did nothing wrong.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

zedprime posted:

Bahamut did nothing wrong.

due to budget constraint,

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it doesn't even jibe with the lore they added in the re-release, where Shiva puts the brakes on the game to deliver lengthy exposition on how the gods were so fond of humanity that the entire pantheon banded together to smack down the one who actually chose to go scorched-earth on them

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

it doesn't even jibe with the lore they added in the re-release, where Shiva puts the brakes on the game to deliver lengthy exposition on how the gods were so fond of humanity that the entire pantheon banded together to smack down the one who actually chose to go scorched-earth on them

We went through all this trouble to save humanity, like, multiples times, so that we could uhhhhh ??????

e: Was Tabata working on the Ardyn DLC? I haven't played it yet

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I get all the criticism but at the same time I have to feel a little robbed not getting a bunch of dlcs that essentially rob the game of anything representing actual pathos and giving it what amounts to a Shrek dance party ending where everyone is a hero.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DrNutt posted:

I get all the criticism but at the same time I have to feel a little robbed not getting a bunch of dlcs that essentially rob the game of anything representing actual pathos and giving it what amounts to a Shrek dance party ending where everyone is a hero.

there's probably a mod for that too

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

S.J. posted:

there's probably a mod for that too

Well Shrek is a mod for sure in XV.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1410372412

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

If you believe the spoilers that turned out to have been bahamut. It is still dumb but I also don't necessarily believe it is all SE. Almost all of the Directors games have a secret happier outcome or hint at one.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

If you believe the spoilers that turned out to have been bahamut. It is still dumb but I also don't necessarily believe it is all SE. Almost all of the Directors games have a secret happier outcome or hint at one.

But... she tells you who it is. It isn't ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

it was explicitly ifrit! it was what kicked off the starscourge in the first place!