Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol ther'es no way to report people and the only way to actually mute someone is to mouse over their actual character and hit k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Babe Magnet posted:

lol ther'es no way to report people and the only way to actually mute someone is to mouse over their actual character and hit k

There's voice chat? I figured they forgot to implement it yet

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

CuddleCryptid posted:

This isnt fallout 76 bad cmon now

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

CuddleCryptid posted:

I see you haven't been called a mud person by this games delightful community.

Medieval games have become a safe place for the grossest people it seems.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

In text chat sure but not voice yet.

You're right though. I've seen a whole lot of fashie icons.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Because...you were playing a dark-skinned guy?

If I can figure out how to play, my mace of justice will come down on these bad-vibe people.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Deus Vult screams the incel

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Phlegmish posted:

Because...you were playing a dark-skinned guy?

If I can figure out how to play, my mace of justice will come down on these bad-vibe people.

Yeah I made my skin as dark as possible (tan) and gave him black hair apparently that's a mudman according to WC3Footman.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Game good, and I am bad, but I am getting better. I made a custom class for use in Frontline that involves the Bloodlust perk, heavy armor and a warhammer. I bash skulls in until I pick up a weapon with better reach (personal favorite is a spear) and then I just go to town. I'm also having a good time just playing plain old engineer, repairing fortifications is super helpful, and the spikes he can lay down (alternative to archer cover) have gotten me a surprising number of kills.

So far the only thing I actively dislike, besides people who are better than I am, is firepot spam. That poo poo gets old fast.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

It's like they intended you to be able to do stuff with the tab screen, but you can't get your mouse pointer so you can't even scroll down the list.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Is there a way to heal in frontline if you don’t have bandages? I ran around near spawn and found an ammo resupply box but nothing for healing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just walk and don't do anything else for a few seconds.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Comrayn posted:

Is there a way to heal in frontline if you don’t have bandages? I ran around near spawn and found an ammo resupply box but nothing for healing.

Take the bloodlust perk, murder, heal to full, murder more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Comrayn posted:

The default health regeneration is actually crazy fast but it only kicks in if you don't sprint (or jump, or swing your weapon) for about 5 seconds. I spent a long time confused about this and thinking there was no way to heal because why would I ever not be sprinting ???

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The default health regeneration is actually crazy fast but it only kicks in if you don't sprint (or jump, or swing your weapon) for about 5 seconds. I spent a long time confused about this and thinking there was no way to heal because why would I ever not be sprinting ???

Same. They really should put that in the tutorial.

Should be noted that *any* exertion cancels it which also means climbing ladders and such.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

You can always slap on a bandage and get that health back RIGHT NOW

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

They're one of the last places you can be a really exclusionary dick in the name of historical accuracy. I really appreciate what mount and blade did by just saying, 'screw it, its all fantasy!'

This game is pretty much fantasy too since its mixing over 1000 years of real armor and weapons with game of thrones generic leather fantasy armor and vikings and also ninjas?? All at once.

I don't wanna hear people complain about immersion.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 1, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I can't imagine ever not playing with bloodlust. Being a little tougher never seems worth the trade off of being able to heal fully mid combat. Great, you have heavier armor but what does it matter if you are half dead after a flight or two or three?

Being faster and fully healing seems stronger.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2019

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Just walk and don't do anything else for a few seconds.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Thanks I was probably frantically sprinting all over looking for a medical tent or something the whole time so that makes sense. Also reading it this sounds very familiar so maybe they did mention it in the tutorial.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I dunno the heal you get from a kill as is works well enough. 5 points is a lot.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
In case anyone else hasn't noticed this: when you equip a weapon in your custom mercenary's loadout, you should click the Advanced Stats button. It has a huge amount of information, including exact damage values for each hit location (taking into account armor types), as well as showing you what that weapon's alt mode actually does.

For example, it helped me figure out that the Billhook can actually pull enemies closer to you on a successful strike, while thrusts push them away normally. Its alt mode just flips the blade around, so strikes push and thrusts pull.

Really annoying that it seems like you can't view the advanced stats without buying the weapon first, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The faster regen start perk is a single point and honestly if you're in a situation where you can't escape long enough to regen you're probably dead anyway, at current levels of skill.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

nothing I'm doing is allowing me to make any progress in XP or money, in any game mode on any server, so head's up before you sink a bunch of time into Horde expecting a payout, it seems to be the same way as the rest of the servers for some of us.

Really want to try some of the weapon that the default dudes don't spawn with, like the crossbow or smallshields.

you can always create a peasant class to get access to their exclusive weapons :v:

the pan is good/hilarious

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Orv posted:

The faster regen start perk is a single point and honestly if you're in a situation where you can't escape long enough to regen you're probably dead anyway, at current levels of skill.

I haven't tried that perk but I have been using the bandage which is also just a point and it's been a big enhancer to my survivability.

The throwing axe is also a great pick for just 2 points. You'll end up doming a lot of archers who think they're safe standing still just a short distance behind the melee.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I dunno the heal you get from a kill as is works well enough. 5 points is a lot.

Did I screw up the name? Isn't bloodlust the one that heals you from a kill? That is the one that I was saying seems like a must always pick.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Diogines posted:

Did I screw up the name? Isn't bloodlust the one that heals you from a kill? That is the one that I was saying seems like a must always pick.

Yeah but killing someone heals you quite a bit without it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

yeah, bloodlust is obviously strong but I think its a lot less "must have" than it initially seems to some people given the cost and other healing mechanics in game - definitely something to be said for just totally ignoring incidental damage as you pull of a great flank and chew through dudes, but there's also something to be said for not simply getting one-shot when someone gets the drop on you

I think ultimately its fairly playstyle/game mode dependent

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 1, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Bastard sword and heater shield with decent armor is really effective against light armor zweihander shitters.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Glenn Quebec posted:

only works if you consistently get lots of kills
have some sympathy for us bads

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

only works if you consistently get lots of kills
have some sympathy for us bads

The thread needs more build theorycrafting for .5 and under KDA imo

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Crossbow or bow shitters in light armor. Use firepot + fireproof to torture people. Spears.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The thread needs more build theorycrafting for .5 and under KDA imo

It's kind of hard to do without knowing why KRD is low though.

If you are having issues with parrying then a short sword mixed with a buckler helps. If it's an issue judging distance then a two handed sword is better. If you can never land hits then something fast and light would be best. Armor 3 on head and chest is a lock for all cases.

In terms of perks you basically want to go full survival, taking the health regeneration speed boost and stam-on-hit.

Spears aren't that great in this game imo because chambering stabs is so easy. Basically the best you can get with spears is going all in with the short spear and shield and hoping they die before they catch on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The health regeneration perk basically doesn't matter. If you can back out of combat you'll probably have the opportunity to full-heal regardless and if you can't it does nothing. I'd rather have a bandage or just more armor.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The health regeneration perk basically doesn't matter. If you can back out of combat you'll probably have the opportunity to full-heal regardless and if you can't it does nothing. I'd rather have a bandage or just more armor.

Depends on the mode. In team fights you absolutely can disengage and passive heal unless you are getting absolutely mobbed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on the mode. In team fights you absolutely can disengage and passive heal unless you are getting absolutely mobbed.

Yeah but if you wanna come right back to the fight a bandage is way faster.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I picked up the billhook since I noticed it had the same point cost as the longsword I was using and dang this thing is strong. All the poking of the regular spear with some really mean swings.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
no sleeves , light armor , helmet Falchion

slash n dash

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's kind of hard to do without knowing why KRD is low though.

If you are having issues with parrying then a short sword mixed with a buckler helps. If it's an issue judging distance then a two handed sword is better. If you can never land hits then something fast and light would be best. Armor 3 on head and chest is a lock for all cases.

In terms of perks you basically want to go full survival, taking the health regeneration speed boost and stam-on-hit.

Spears aren't that great in this game imo because chambering stabs is so easy. Basically the best you can get with spears is going all in with the short spear and shield and hoping they die before they catch on.

really depends on the mode I think - i.e. spears are not very good for 1 on 1 dueling against people who know what they're doing, but they're often downright amazing in something like frontlines where you very often want something that has reach and doesn't need a wide arc to put out serious damage

one of the all-rounder builds I've liked best so far is short spear + heater shield + throwing axes (plus armor/perks to taste)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I cannot disagree more with this statement and I was consistently scoring the highest or near the top with a spear and short shield and I was playing for the first time last night I will defend the noble honor of the most VENERABLE short spear and shield!

Step 1. Approach with your group.
Step 2. Block literally every attack coming at you. This will not be hard.
Step 3. Aim for people who are engaged or if you can't get to one, engage someone when you can't be flanked.
Step 3b. Use your superior reach to blow the heads off of anyone coming in your direction.
Step 4. Poke balls of everyone else off because people don't know how to counter a sustained block and you can get off your attacks quicker than a greatsword can slash twice.
Step 5. If you are about to be flanked, backpedal.

Solo fights require marginally more strategy. Marginally.

If you don't wear very heavy armor you will also be faster than most melee builds and have good odds of running if flanked. If you can't escape and are outnumbered, backpedal while taking occasional stabs and if you can't kite them, hope backup arrives in time.

This may not work forever but right now it works very, very well. The reach, mobility, speed and strong defense works well on anything except uh... people who can party well. Which is not many people and they you can probably ignore and disengage from.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Probably mentioned already, but there are duel servers if you get tired of crowds :v: I've loved dueling on chivalry and warband for many years and finding another game like this has really tickled me pink. Scratched that itch way better than for honor did, by a long shot.

You have to bow/flourish your weapon before fighting someone in duel servers. I hope to see some custom maps made with this in mind soon, or maybe even a duel mode. I'd prefer something more like warband's duels where you can wander around and both parties have to press a key and accept the duel before you can deal damage instead of chivalry's janky duel matchmaking. A swarm of angry nerds and the occasional admin works to keep it 1v1 for now, though!

Also probably mentioned, but there are console commands. You can open the console by pressing the tilde key (double tap to open full console) where you can votekick players. I can't check right now but there's probably a way to mute people in the console too, and if their name is messed up and untypeable you can use commands with their player number instead. playerlist will give a numbered list of the players in the server.

Their server browser also sucks very bad and needs to be improved, like the option to add favorite servers. Even if the 'recent' tab worked that'd be a big improvement.