Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pound for pound it's the best game of the 7th Gen of consoles, and one of the best games of all time.

You're describing Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

:hai:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Tei posted:

In 2019 games need to be much more complex, with more moving parts,... the average player demand more than 5 maps and replaying these 5 maps again and again.

You do realize that most competitive FPS games use the same couple of maps over and over in 2019 right, games don't "need" to be more complex, corporate marketers will tell you this but it's far from the truth.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hate games with hundreds of maps. Makes it hard to get decent servers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Isn't dust2 by far the most played counterstrike map even today?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Judge Tesla posted:

You do realize that most competitive FPS games use the same couple of maps over and over in 2019 right, games don't "need" to be more complex, corporate marketers will tell you this but it's far from the truth.

I agree, any mp fps can have 20 maps, but I'll usually only want to play on 3 or 4 if I'm given the choice. There will always be room for games that expand complexity, but sometimes this can bring confusion as well and really bog a game down.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Isn't dust2 by far the most played counterstrike map even today?

Beeline straight to Office 24/7

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 had a lot more than 5 maps, each mission was split up into 4 separate acts with its own distinctive style, there's a lot more going on that people gave it credit for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Beeline straight to Office 24/7

:dukedog:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

:ssh: Bloodborne is an 8th gen game

:flaccid:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Judge Tesla posted:

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 had a lot more than 5 maps, each mission was split up into 4 separate acts with its own distinctive style, there's a lot more going on that people gave it credit for.

Also pvp which was hilarious with friends

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:gonk:

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dear lord you have so many incredible games to play :bisonyes:

Just in the last week I’ve bought Return To Arkham, Final Fantasy XV, GTA V, Witcher 3, World of Final Fantasy, Murdered Soul Suspect, Zero Time Dilemma, and The Nonary Games, all on sale. I think I’m good til Spider-Man drops to $20 at Christmas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Be Depressive posted:

Just in the last week I’ve bought Return To Arkham, Final Fantasy XV, GTA V, Witcher 3, World of Final Fantasy, Murdered Soul Suspect, Zero Time Dilemma, and The Nonary Games, all on sale. I think I’m good til Spider-Man drops to $20 at Christmas.

Just in case you don't know, play the Nonary Games first. ZTD is the end of the trilogy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Theres a lot of Japanese games discounted on Euro PSN and I feel like I should buy something but not sure what.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

lol every resident evil game is discounted except for RE4, RE1, and RE0. Can't let switch owners know that they're paying insane prices for ports.

I might get DS2 just so I own every soulsborne game on PS4 (except ds1, which I over paid for on switch)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:flaccid:

I had a xbox360 and well, Gears of War... Yep got owned :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They won't look better but they might run better with boost mode.

I remember some people saying this early on, but are there any games that run worse with boost mode or otherwise run better on a base PS4 for whatever reason?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently Bloodborne looks worse because it messes up a frame pacing or whatever

There's a few games like Sekiro that are a (mostly) solid 30fps on base but uncapped and wobble around 45/50 on a pro which a some people hate

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

MechaSeinfeld posted:

lol every resident evil game is discounted except for RE4, RE1, and RE0. Can't let switch owners know that they're paying insane prices for ports.

I might get DS2 just so I own every soulsborne game on PS4 (except ds1, which I over paid for on switch)

Those are all on sale for Golden Week!

I was gonna get Dark Souls Remastered until I played the pre-release demo and realized I had already had my fill of Dark Souls 1, but something else about it felt fucky. I finally realized what it was thanks to some YouTube video that compares the original PC version (modded to run at 60 FPS but otherwise left alone) to the remaster -- the contrast is totally blown out. It runs well and looks "remastered" but flat and boring to look at. Bad for a game whose environments were one of its strongest suites.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sakurazuka posted:

Apparently Bloodborne looks worse because it messes up a frame pacing or whatever

There's a few games like Sekiro that are a (mostly) solid 30fps on base but uncapped and wobble around 45/50 on a pro which a some people hate

Is it weird that Bloodborne at locked 60fps would be a huge selling point for the PS5 for me?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Is it weird that Bloodborne at locked 60fps would be a huge selling point for the PS5 for me?

I'd take a smooth frame-paced 30fps at this stage tbh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Guillermus posted:

I'm gonna be so mad at you guys if I bounce off BB.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WaltherFeng posted:

Theres a lot of Japanese games discounted on Euro PSN and I feel like I should buy something but not sure what.

if you don't own them, these are things worth owning:

Nier Automata
Shadow of the Colossus
The Last Guardian
Persona 5
RE2 remaster
Monster Hunter World (easily the most game you can buy for 20 bux right now holy poo poo)
the various Souls games and/or Nioh
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Gravity Rush Remastered and 2
Ni No Kuni 2
Ys 8
Tales of Berseria
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Someone else should probably add to this but that's what caught my eye

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Sakurazuka posted:

Good to know, but you can just turn off the boost mode or whatever right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

Good to know, but you can just turn off the boost mode or whatever right?

Yes, but it's a systemwide setting so if you want to mix boost-friendly and boost-unfriendly games it's a pain. It's also completely ignored by anything with native Pro support.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1123611073964331014

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Overcooked and What remains of Edith Finch are this month's ps+ games.

Both are excellent, sadly I got overcooked a long time ago (and it wasn't ever a pricy game to begin with), and what remains was freen on the epic store 2 months ago.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

enojy posted:

Those are all on sale for Golden Week!

Oh what ! how weird. I wonder if they'll get added later on?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I just played through Edith Finch on Xbox a couple weeks ago, great game. The environments and design are very good and made me wish the house was real. Like a giant adult tree house....sort of.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Edith Finch is one of the best walking simulators (probably because of the periodic game-like interactive scenes) but I played it at release :/

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh neat I've been meaning to get both of these. First month in a while with two good games I don't have.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I already played em but these are both great choices for PS+. I'd rather get stuff like this than mediocre AAA games that I don't have time to play.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Left 4 Dead series is amazing. World War Z is fun but flawed. A couple of the levels are trash. Still had a ton of fun mowing down those huge rear end swarms.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Edith Finch is extremely good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah Edith Finch!!!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Edith Finch is really good but wasn't it already a freebie in the last year or did I buy it on sale and forget

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Seconding, thirding and fourthing the Edith Finch recommendation. Also the first overcooked is super fun co-op. It's a shame they sorta ruined the sequal by making it too easy.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

AngelesXO posted:

It's a shame they sorta ruined the sequal by making it too easy.

Is this true? If so I might have to check it out. My wife and I enjoyed playing the first game, but about halfway through it just became more stressful than fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

BisterdDave posted:

Is this true? If so I might have to check it out. My wife and I enjoyed playing the first game, but about halfway through it just became more stressful than fun.

I put in a few hours on the second and it does feel too easy but over does the gimmicks. So if you like having to deal with mice or the level shifting and less 'we need to make burgers as efficiently as possible!' then it'll work out better for you.