Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the thread consensus of how the books rate? For me, the second book is my least favorite, and I actually love love love AFFC and Slam Dancing w Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Elman posted:

The writers and show watchers probably don't remember what the Iron Bank is.

One of my favorite things from last season is the idea that somehow when the Lannister supply line carrying back everything from highgarden gets absolutely destroyed by dragonfire but the gold manages to not melt and Cersei just pays off all of the royal debt in one swoop with what they found there.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

PupsOfWar posted:

why would you give bronn the Twins
if you were in the leadership of westeros i mean
there's a lot of abandoned castles around that bronn could have

you'd give the Twins to some very credulous honorable person who be bad at negotiating onerous tolls
bronn would extort the hell out of anyone trying to travel

give the twins to like, podrick or something

the joke is cersei would only give him one castle but the twins is two so he's getting paid double

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

What's the thread consensus of how the books rate? For me, the second book is my least favorite, and I actually love love love AFFC and Slam Dancing w Dragons.

Book 2 is good in that it sets up book 3. Book 4 is “huh is this going somewhere?” And dance is “nope it sure isn’t”

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While I'm at it, does anyone else love the Witcher novels as much as these books? I do, but I think i'm one of the few.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Book 1 is very good
Book 2 is very good but not as obviously good as 1&3
Book 3 is very good
Book 4 part 1 is not great
Book 4 part 2 is very very bad and in fact makes part 1 worse

The only two curiosities left if the next books improbably ever come out are 1) can this get worse? 2) what HBO-spite fueled changes has this absolute fucker made to his books just to claim there's any reason to read them.

Edit: also a quick reminder that despite taking like an entire decade to finish book 4 parts 1&2 he moved the actual climax of that book, the battle of the bastards, into the next book for some unfathomable reason.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Once character I really had hoped to see in the series was Victarion Greyjoy. I love that dude! Wears full plate on the deck of a boat because "gently caress it, don't care if I drown" and is just an all around badass. Instead we get this limpdick amalgamation of Euron and Victarion in the show version of Euron.

Victarion in the series would likely just be The Mountain with a squid theme.

I kinda liked him in the books because he is an undeniable terror, but also because it's one of the rare first-person depictions of a guy who is a genuine _oaf_.

Sees people laughing all around and only later realizes they were laughing at him, gets played by anyone who can conceivably influence him, passes on a good alliance with his niece because it might give him cooties, and manages to miss his pet firepriest pretty much spelling out that he's going to be burned to death as soon as he reaches Meereen.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I have to credit ASOIAF for the phonetic character names.

If someone is named Jaime it's loving Jaime and not Jyaímie. Tyrion is Tyrion and not Taeryion etc.

It's very noteworthy for fantasy works.

The worst names are probably the Targaryen's but at least they're no Nynaeve al'Meara.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

chaosapiant posted:

Nobody here has given a poo poo about the books in like five years.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i forgive ADWD of a lot of things for the sake of its Northern arc, which across all PoVs is pretty great
hard to think of anything positive to say about the meereen bits, though
the rest is take it or leave it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I figured I was in the minority, but I really liked books 4 and 5. I like how I get to see what's happening to the common folk in book 4, and book 5 has lots of cool mini-stories and adventures with Tyrion and Jon. Also, both books have lots of Jaime Lannister being a bad rear end and decent tactician. Jaime has always been my favorite character, as he's the first literary character I went from hating to loving in any work of fiction. Granted, I haven't read a lot of fantasy, but that's my take.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I like AFFC also

cersei politicking is always enjoyable in the sense that watching stunt blooper reels is enjoyable

you get Jaime redemption arc which i think most people like

a lot of slower, atmospheric work which might frustrate people in a "nothing's happening" sense, but which i think is worthwhile

im, i would say, more dorne-positive than most people here

like I think the actual plot of the dorne sections is good
and could go a lot of interesting places moving forward

i get the sense that when people say "dorne sucks", often what they mean is that they don't like arianne, arys or hotah as PoVs, which is fair enough I suppose

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: also a quick reminder that despite taking like an entire decade to finish book 4 parts 1&2 he moved the actual climax of that book, the battle of the bastards, into the next book for some unfathomable reason.

It's the Battle of Winterfell and I'm pretty sure Stannis will win it, thank you very much :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I liked a lot of Dorne and was really hoping that the Dornish head dude (I forget his name, Oberyn's brother) would turn out to be a cool scheming bad rear end. But I also like the sand snakes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The last books are interesting and each little bit is more or less fun to read for what it gives you. The problem is that it doesn't loving go anywhere or resolve loving anything and just meanders aimlessly for hundreds of pages. Having sex is fun and all but it'll get pretty drat frustrating and chafe at you if you never get to nut.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jon taking the Night Watch to settle his personal family score in the books is kind of jarring and when he gets stabbed to death for it my thought was "yeah that's fair I guess"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

chaosapiant posted:

I also like the sand snakes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

im, i would say, more dorne-positive than most people here

Men call me Darkstar and I am of the night

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Katt posted:

Jon taking the Night Watch to settle his personal family score in the books is kind of jarring and when he gets stabbed to death for it my thought was "yeah that's fair I guess"

It's been a few years, but I was pretty sure Jon got stabbed because of the whole "lets wildlings south of the wall" thing. I thought the Arya mission was just a cherry on the pie. I was super impressed by how competent he was as a Lord Commander, overall though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Elman posted:

It's the Battle of Winterfell and I'm pretty sure Stannis will win it, thank you very much :colbert:

oh wait you're right it wasn't even that battle lmfao

Stannis the Mannis staying alive would get me to keep reading the books

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I liked a lot of Dorne and was really hoping that the Dornish head dude (I forget his name, Oberyn's brother) would turn out to be a cool scheming bad rear end. But I also like the sand snakes.

its weird how the show made the snakes so...interchangeable
aside from the broader structural issues with the shows abortive dorne adaptation, that was a bad decision

the cool thing about em in the books is they're all really distinctive and have their own gimmick, so even if they (probably) have the same agenda, they have such wildly different ideas of how to go about it that they cannot meaningfully collaborate

its fun

give tyene her poisons and septa's robes, cowards

hobbesmaster posted:

Men call me Darkstar and I am of the night

look, im sure every region has their own edgy hot topic guy who tries way too hard,

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Darkstar is just het Lyn Corbray

chaosapiant posted:

It's been a few years, but I was pretty sure Jon got stabbed because of the whole "lets wildlings south of the wall" thing. I thought the Arya mission was just a cherry on the pie. I was super impressed by how competent he was as a Lord Commander, overall though.

his response to the pink letter was definitely the match that set things off
whether because he decided involve the Watch in the affairs of the kingdom (which, tbf, Ramsay had already broken down that norm) or because the letter indicated the loss of Stannis as patron and ally

the wildling integration had been going...about as well as could be expected up to that point, though probably there was already a coup at least being mulled

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 1, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Katt posted:

The worst names are probably the Targaryen's but at least they're no Nynaeve al'Meara.

Why are you so made at the legend of Nyneve and Merlin?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

oh wait you're right it wasn't even that battle lmfao

Stannis the Mannis staying alive would get me to keep reading the books

Stanny B is my boy and I'd be fairly content to drop the books if he is legit dead and the letter Ramsey sent to the wall is legitimate.

He's the only person claiming the Throne to actually give a gently caress about people, even if he's a hard man and not personable.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

That was part of it but then he makes a big "hoora! speech about deploying the watch south of the wall to fight his personal family feud and that to me was the great crossing of the line. He had done some crazy stuff but all in service of the watch and his oath but this was straight up betraying the watch and its mission.

The books make a point of some historical commander who sat with some 20.000 troops at the wall while his brothers entire house got wiped out nearby because he was following his oath.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He was pretty content to do that until Arya was there. He probably would have let the other starks get butchered but not her. Of course it was Sansa/Rickon in the show which makes way less sense but hey FWOOSH DRAGOHN FLAME RAWR $$$

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My point is that the watch might have grumbled when he started recruiting wildlings but they tolerated it and followed his orders but when he was about to take the entire watch and abandon their watch to do his personal business then they were all well within their right to kill him on the spot. He was going to send them from the wall. It was an enormous betrayal of his oath and his duty as lord commander.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

imo the boltons had already indicated they were gonna gently caress with the Watch, so, while it got him killed, that probably wasn't the worst move

or even a particularly bad move by stark standards

society is collapsing all around, the apocalypse is coming, who knows what norms remain valid

like it was inevitable that jon had to respond, and also inevitable that the watch would revolt over it

the whole point of these Stark dilemmas is not "wow, look at how bad the dumb guy hosed up" but that they're no-win scenarios that naturally occur when you're trying to act like a protagonist

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sephyr posted:

Sees people laughing all around and only later realizes they were laughing at him, gets played by anyone who can conceivably influence him, passes on a good alliance with his niece because it might give him cooties, and manages to miss his pet firepriest pretty much spelling out that he's going to be burned to death as soon as he reaches Meereen.

I think GRRM might have intended to write him as on the spectrum.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

PupsOfWar posted:

the whole point of these Stark dilemmas is not "wow, look at how bad the dumb guy hosed up" but that they're no-win scenarios that naturally occur when you're trying to act like a protagonist

But that's the point, acting like a protagonist is a dumb thing to do and it means you hosed up. Every Stark dilemma is a Stark doing something extremely stupid that usually indicates heroism and valor in fake stories but gets you killed in these ones.

Which one was a no-win situation?

Robb could have won if he just figured out how to keep a side piece like every other Lord besides his dad. Or just remembered that the war is more important than marrying someone RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW and either dropping her or telling her we'll have to figure it out later.

Ned could have achieved everything he possibly could at the time if he thought about what challenging Joffrey and the Lannisters would mean for two seconds, realized there was no chance to stop the coronation (or that depending on Littlefinger to attempt it was an extremely dumb idea) and got him and his family out of KL before doing it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 1, 2019

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

MrFlibble posted:

https://youtu.be/DQAuI015FbE?t=1032

Gee preston, tell us what you really feel.

Holy poo poo. I have never watched any of the show, but I may go back and watch all of this guy's videos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Holy poo poo. I have never watched any of the show, but I may go back and watch all of this guy's videos.

https://youtu.be/g-94RDwiVFs

Watch this first. It’s a handy primer on PJakes.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Intel&Sebastian posted:

But that's the point, acting like a protagonist is a dumb thing to do and it means you hosed up. Every Stark dilemma is a Stark doing something extremely stupid that usually indicates heroism and valor in fake stories but gets you killed in these ones.

Which one was a no-win situation?

Robb could have won if he just figured out how to keep a side piece like every other Lord besides his dad. Or just remembered that the war is more important than marrying someone RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW and either dropping her or telling her we'll have to figure it out later.

Ned could have achieved everything he possibly could at the time if he thought about what challenging Joffrey and the Lannisters would mean for two seconds, realized there was no chance to stop the coronation (or that depending on Littlefinger to attempt it was an extremely dumb idea) and got him and his family out of KL before doing it.

It's also very significant that Roberts dying words is declaring Joffrey his heir and Ned changes it to "My heir" to be able to put Stannis on the throne.

The very definition of Roberts rule is that "blood does not mean poo poo when it comes to kings" Ned accepted that when he rebelled but he would betray his oldest friend for the sake of blind obedience to blood.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ned shouldn't have even agreed to be hand in the first place. That was an incredibly dumb idea, he's singularly ill-equipped for the job and he goes along with it because The Rules say you can't say no to the king even though he's maybe the only person in the entire world who could tell Robert no and get away with it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

I have to credit ASOIAF for the phonetic character names.

If someone is named Jaime it's loving Jaime and not Jyaímie. Tyrion is Tyrion and not Taeryion etc.

It's very noteworthy for fantasy works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlpJce1k8g

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Unnamed One posted:

See, you’re falling in the trap of “thinking too much about it”, and that’s a big no-no regarding the later seasons of HBO’s Game of Thrones.

Yeah there's no subtlety at all now. Everything that happens is exactly what it appears to be and there is no more than surface level thought going into every big decision.

Like Arya literally killed the Night King because heheheh that would be cool and unexpected even though narratively it made little sense.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Katt posted:

Dagon Targaryan
My brain read this in Boomhauer’s voice

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Katt posted:

It's also very significant that Roberts dying words is declaring Joffrey his heir and Ned changes it to "My heir" to be able to put Stannis on the throne.

The very definition of Roberts rule is that "blood does not mean poo poo when it comes to kings" Ned accepted that when he rebelled but he would betray his oldest friend for the sake of blind obedience to blood.

I think it's less blind obedience to blood than the idea that he thinks if he had time to convince Robert that Joff was Cersei and Jaime's that Robert wouldn't have passed the crown to Joffrey anyway. He also thinks John Arryn dying is part of a conspiracy to hide all this and he wants to thwart it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 1, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I always think Eddard absolutely got what was coming to him. He was WAY too honest and straightforward and I have no idea how he made it that far in the world as it is. Robb, however, is a different story. I absolutely do not believe that the Freys wouldn't have betrayed him if he'd kept his promise. The Freys aligned with the house they thought would win the war, and used Robb's dumb marriage as a pretext.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah, but that just sort of shifts the "dumb move" pin to "trusting them in the first place" rather than "thinking they're really totally ok with this compromise marriage"