Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It feels like the average reign of my kings is like 30+ years which is like 3x longer than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am playing as Agothocles (Syracuse) and have beaten the Carthegenians, meanwhile the Romans have... err

well the Sabines conquered them?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dramicus posted:

You have to import grain, fish, or livestock to stop starvation. This was a historical problem for much of Rome's (the city) existence. Many of their conquests were for the purpose of securing grain imports to sustain the city.

Granaries don't produce food, they store and preserve them. So they help with pop growth (and soon pop cap), but not with starvation. Only extra sources of food will help that.

Good to know. I had province, capital and export surpluses for the three in Rome but I forgot to stack the province modifiers past +1.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

AnEdgelord posted:

Listening to the history of rome and playing a little bit of the game I think im just running into the problem of the era not actually being all that well suited for an EUIV style grand strategy game.

EUIV has all sorts of little regional show downs all over the globe (Ottomans v Hre, Spain v Morocco, France v HRE and Britain, etc.) Meanwhile of the major power stand offs of this era are just the Rome v Carthage deathmatch and a bunch of warring greek successor states destined to get rinsed by the winner of that deathmatch.

On top of that there is no grand crisis to flip the table like the Reformation or the Mongol invasions. This entire period is marked by the unbroken and unchallenged ascendancy of Rome as a world dominating power and all of the interesting crises or table flipping (after the punic wars at least) was an internal struggle inside the empire/republic rather than some outside invading force or extranational institution breaking down. Internal struggles that the game seems mostly uninterested in modelling well.

It's not like Rome just effortlessly conquered all of that territory so I don't see a problem with this. Some parts of the map were significantly more dynamic than others (look at the rise of Parthia). At the moment the game is too static due to the AI failing to consolidate and war effectively and generally not being aggressive; part of this was the manpower change happening late in development.

As long as it's interesting to continue to win wars and gain and manage more territory then there's no reason why it's a bad thing to win every war. At the moment it starts to get a bit boring because it feels like the AI is just sitting there waiting to get beaten instead of working to get stronger themselves.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not like Rome just effortlessly conquered all of that territory so I don't see a problem with this. Some parts of the map were significantly more dynamic than others (look at the rise of Parthia). At the moment the game is too static due to the AI failing to consolidate and war effectively and generally not being aggressive; part of this was the manpower change happening late in development.

As long as it's interesting to continue to win wars and gain and manage more territory then there's no reason why it's a bad thing to win every war. At the moment it starts to get a bit boring because it feels like the AI is just sitting there waiting to get beaten instead of working to get stronger themselves.

My Rome did :getin:

jokes aside, the game seems to just work: in the beginning it was all me crushing everybody nearby, but slowly alliance networks formed, some big powers collapsed (Phrygia and Macedon, the latter thanks to me - and eventually even Maurya!), others thrived like Egypt and the Seleucids, and eventually a few tribes in Iberia and Germania emerged victorious from their own little thunderdome and formed decently-sized countries.

Carthage, despite me trying my hardest to completely kill them, managed to survive even though they're only a shadow of their former self. I might spend the last 50 years left trying to crush them for good, it will require a hellwar though because they have a big amount of friends, putting their combined armies at around 400 cohorts

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've kind of realised a peculiar problem with this game...I don't know who I'm playing as?

You see, in CK2 I'd be playing as the character who is currently in charge - i'd then adjust my play style based upon the attributes of that character. In Imperator though i'm...not? Or at least when it comes to Rome i'm definitely not. I'm sort of playing some sort of quasi omnipotent figure instead. This wasn't an issue with EUIV, but that was because characters didn't really exist other than for min/maxing attribute numbers, but in Imperator the sort of merged aspect of having CK2 characters in it results in me not really knowing who the gently caress I'm supposed to be? Should I be my Counsel? What if I didn't really like my Counsel last character, but now suddenly I am him? It's kind of...confusing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

I've kind of realised a peculiar problem with this game...I don't know who I'm playing as?

You see, in CK2 I'd be playing as the character who is currently in charge - i'd then adjust my play style based upon the attributes of that character. In Imperator though i'm...not? Or at least when it comes to Rome i'm definitely not. I'm sort of playing some sort of quasi omnipotent figure instead. This wasn't an issue with EUIV, but that was because characters didn't really exist other than for min/maxing attribute numbers, but in Imperator the sort of merged aspect of having CK2 characters in it results in me not really knowing who the gently caress I'm supposed to be? Should I be my Counsel? What if I didn't really like my Counsel last character, but now suddenly I am him? It's kind of...confusing.

I'm honestly not sure what you'd lose from the game if you just removed the character stuff entirely.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It could be interesting to sort of combine the characters and the mana together. So instead of the CK2 system where I send a guy to fabricate a claim and there's a % chance per month, I send a claim-fabricating delegation and the number of months depends on the cumulative skills of everyone in the delegation, but everyone involved also gets more popular, so there's sort of a risk/reward element. And then if this is how most of the costs in the game works, then it's another interesting choice of where and how to allocate your limited pool of nobles/senators/etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Really hope there's another way to mitigate bad rulers in monarchies; maybe do the CK2 thing of having spouses buff your stats or whatever. I'm not sure if the stability is worth getting a ruler with poo poo stats, particularly in Oratory and/or Finesse.

Also I like the game a lot but things have slowed to a crawl in 520, so I'm gonna have to wait for more performance improvements. Beating the poo poo out of Rome as a resurgent Syracuse was fantastic though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taear posted:

They definitely cost manpower to refill - so say they're 45k and I've nowhere they can stand without attrition (which when you're big is basically always) I'm always ticking down on it and can never build my own stuff.

I am reasonably sure that clan retinues do not replenish using your manpower. This particular retinue has taken thousands of losses and replenished them all while I was low on manpower. And as you see in the screenshots above, they're suffering attrition but it's not being counted in the manpower tooltip. When you hover over one of the units in the army, it states that "They [the clan leader] will take care of reinforcement and cover some of the maintenance costs." Of course, this is clearly inaccurate since they cover ALL of the maintenance costs, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to be paying manpower to reinforce them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

One thing that nobody talks about, is how different nation ranks impact diplomacy; I love how tiny city states and minor powers can't straight up get alliances with regional powers, solving the "I'll just use France as a sledgehammer" problem in EU4, and I like that the bigger you become / the more the world consolidates into bigger powers, the harder it is to make friends. It just makes a lot of sense that the only people interested in having a relation with you are those about your same size, or bigger ones that guarantee you not out of love for you, but out of hate for your enemies mostly.

I find that a straight improvement over diplomatic relations with other countries in CK2 or EU4, and ripe for expansion and fleshing out with patches and DLC, too. I'd love the character thing to actually impact relations and diplomacy more, right now it's mostly player decisions and actions, I don't think there is any character action that improves country relations (except befriending the foreign ruler? I keep forgetting to do that)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 1, 2019

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

You are whoever is leading your nations, which can be changed out when a monarch die, or by vote in a republic.

I think that adding characters is super fun, even doh it's bare boned now. they need to have a much higher impact, especially in this time period, where a single person could be the golden age or death of a country.

edit: and yea, i'm playing mauyra in India now, and if you don't arrange marries your whole royal family, they woun't have children and civil war ensues lol.

Descar fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 1, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm a kingdom now and to form Gaul I have to go to war with Rome. I don't really want to, but I felt like i should do it and see how it goes.

Without even fighting a battle, even occupying shitloads of territory, I'm at -10 warscore because attrition is so unbelievably high. I pushed them all the way back to the alps and have just quit the game now because I understand that it's going to be impossible to ever take this territory.

I honestly don't know what I can do.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I am reasonably sure that clan retinues do not replenish using your manpower. This particular retinue has taken thousands of losses and replenished them all while I was low on manpower. And as you see in the screenshots above, they're suffering attrition but it's not being counted in the manpower tooltip. When you hover over one of the units in the army, it states that "They [the clan leader] will take care of reinforcement and cover some of the maintenance costs." Of course, this is clearly inaccurate since they cover ALL of the maintenance costs, but I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to be paying manpower to reinforce them.

I made sure I deleted all of the warhosts that were specifically mine and only had the clan ones and my manpower stayed at around 2000 and was minused. I can't think where else it could be going other than a bug.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I can't find the number of unassimilated pops in a province/region. The game shows me how many pops a governor has assimilated over his lifetime (no idea if that's a brag number or if experience makes him better at his job). Or is there a way to mass assimilate ("massimilate") pops? I don't want to trigger the arthritis event on myself.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Einbauschrank posted:

I can't find the number of unassimilated pops in a province/region. The game shows me how many pops a governor has assimilated over his lifetime (no idea if that's a brag number or if experience makes him better at his job). Or is there a way to mass assimilate ("massimilate") pops? I don't want to trigger the arthritis event on myself.

No, you can do it from the "mass build" icon at the top left but it still requires fuckloads of clicking.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TorakFade posted:

One thing that nobody talks about, is how different nation ranks impact diplomacy; I love how tiny city states and minor powers can't straight up get alliances with regional powers, solving the "I'll just use France as a sledgehammer" problem in EU4, and I like that the bigger you become / the more the world consolidates into bigger powers, the harder it is to make friends. It just makes a lot of sense that the only people interested in having a relation with you are those about your same size, or bigger ones that guarantee you not out of love for you, but out of hate for your enemies mostly.

I find that a straight improvement over diplomatic relations with other countries in CK2 or EU4, and ripe for expansion and fleshing out with patches and DLC, too.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, I think this is the best feature in Imperator by far.

I think I would even suggest expanding on it so that Large power alliances or guarantees (i.e. the greek hugbox) only worked against similar size powers. If I was Egypt I think I can rely on Macedon to handle a border skirmish with a minor power without dragging me in to it.

It would also help with the way it's impossible as say Arkadia or a united Greek regional power to challenge Macedon in an offensive war. I had to dismantle them in defensive wars to get anything done.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 1, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Einbauschrank posted:

If you go to the culture mapmode, you can see how many pops of each culture are in a province by hovering over it with your cursor.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bactria is fun until all your armies disintegrate during a thousand mile march. You don't even start with elephants :smith:

Weembles posted:

What are you talking about? Have you played anything before CK2? Those games were unplayable for like a year after they came out.

Yeah and Paradox didn't release tons of DLC afterwards to try to patch them up. I had the list of games here and when their respective patch to make it kinda playable and then respective expansions (for ones not abandoned or which never got expansions, like EU2 (got support at least) or Sengoku (lol)), but I don't think we're necessarily arguing different things, you just made poo poo up to support your claim.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This is my experience also, the clan retinues do not draw from my manpower pool. As long as my own troops are 100% strength, manpower is unaffected no matter how much reinforcement the retinues are doing.

I often withdraw my own troops to avoid losing too much manpower as the war goes on, assuming I have strong enough retinues to mop up and siege.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Beamed posted:

Bactria is fun until all your armies disintegrate during a thousand mile march. You don't even start with elephants :smith:

Yeah and Paradox didn't release tons of DLC afterwards to try to patch them up. I had the list of games here and when their respective patch to make it kinda playable and then respective expansions (for ones not abandoned or which never got expansions, like EU2 (got support at least) or Sengoku (lol)), but I don't think we're necessarily arguing different things, you just made poo poo up to support your claim.

People call everything DLC now even if you want to call it some fuddy duddy name like “expansion”. You’re being a dumb rear end in a top hat over semantics

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Senor Dog posted:

People call everything DLC now even if you want to call it some fuddy duddy name like “expansion”. You’re being a dumb rear end in a top hat over semantics

Nah, he's talking about quantity. Expansion or DLC, whatever term you want to use, pre-CK2 a Paradox game would get one, maybe two and about three patches per XP/DLC. EU3's count of four was exceptional (and those DLC were pretty drat slender, truth be told).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jack2142 posted:

well the Sabines conquered them?

Revenge of the Sabine Women

Should be an achievement.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Nah, he's talking about quantity. Expansion or DLC, whatever term you want to use, pre-CK2 a Paradox game would get one, maybe two and about three patches per XP/DLC. EU3's count of four was exceptional (and those DLC were pretty drat slender, truth be told).

the post he was responding to said nothing about quantity, so i hope not

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Having played through one whole game now, I have to say I am disappointed in the lack of events and decisions - as the front and center nation to play, for Rome it certainly doesn't feel right to get 2-3 events giving claims (on Carthage and Greece) and 2 relatively minor decisions in all the game. Might have missed something by not conquering Iberia or Egypt or whatever, but still. I guess smaller tribes and nations don't have anything at all.

That's probably the easiest thing to add though, so let's hope those patches and dlc start coming :v:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Listening to the history of rome and playing a little bit of the game I think im just running into the problem of the era not actually being all that well suited for an EUIV style grand strategy game.

EUIV has all sorts of little regional show downs all over the globe (Ottomans v Hre, Spain v Morocco, France v HRE and Britain, etc.) Meanwhile of the major power stand offs of this era are just the Rome v Carthage deathmatch and a bunch of warring greek successor states destined to get rinsed by the winner of that deathmatch.

On top of that there is no grand crisis to flip the table like the Reformation or the Mongol invasions. This entire period is marked by the unbroken and unchallenged ascendancy of Rome as a world dominating power and all of the interesting crises or table flipping (after the punic wars at least) was an internal struggle inside the empire/republic rather than some outside invading force or extranational institution breaking down. Internal struggles that the game seems mostly uninterested in modelling well.

This is not at all clear. Rome could easily have failed to unify Italy at numerous different points. It's also not clear that Carthage would've dominated the entire Mediterranean the way Rome did if they had come out on top. Rome coming out on top in the Gallic Wars were also not an inevitability. Julius Caesar came within a breath of being killed at the battle of Alesia. Any of the Diadochi securing an early primacy over the others would've also radically altered things, at least in the eastern Med.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I conquered Cathago as Rome last night and didn't sack the city. I immediately regretted it. I was too swayed by the pop loss plus unrest modifier since the peace deal was going to bring me over 50 Aggressive Expansion.

Not only did I miss an achievement, but I brought shame to my ancestors.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Taear posted:

I'm a kingdom now and to form Gaul I have to go to war with Rome. I don't really want to, but I felt like i should do it and see how it goes.

Without even fighting a battle, even occupying shitloads of territory, I'm at -10 warscore because attrition is so unbelievably high. I pushed them all the way back to the alps and have just quit the game now because I understand that it's going to be impossible to ever take this territory.

Attrition is really obnoxious. I get they're trying to make a big deal out of the "early antiquity so not much development / logistics yet" thing but I can barely march an army of 20K troops through three provinces without losing 1K guys to attrition. I doubt Paradox is going to patch it any time soon though, since they seem very proud of how much attrition matters. I'll wait for the workshop mods I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to know why the manpower blessing only increases your maximum manpower and doesn't do anything for the regen rate. It's useless. The only scenario it makes any sense in is if you want to temporarily exceed your "normal" cap just before a war, knowing that once it starts you're going to lose people. But if you are planning ahead like that then you might as well just use the +discipline blessing instead.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Everything that increases manpower cap also increases production, except where it gets hit by the rounding bug / issue.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it a display issue then? I've definitely check my manpower before and after activiting the manpower blessing and it sure looked like the cap went up but not the regen rate.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sydin posted:

Attrition is really obnoxious. I get they're trying to make a big deal out of the "early antiquity so not much development / logistics yet" thing but I can barely march an army of 20K troops through three provinces without losing 1K guys to attrition. I doubt Paradox is going to patch it any time soon though, since they seem very proud of how much attrition matters. I'll wait for the workshop mods I guess.

You know you can split up your armies into smaller-sized ones that more easily navigate your supply capacity, right? Not everything needs to be a stack.

And more, smaller armies gives you a chance to get more generals out there, which is good for a few reasons -- not having to worry about families getting pissed off that they don't have jobs, less of a worry of a single super-powerful general in charge of a doomstack starting a civil war, etc.

It is more micromanagement though but at this point micromanagement of armies is pretty much the only content there is to be had in this bad-side-of-mediocre game anyway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

For monarchies I would love the ability to support a pretender but say have it force a civil war, the size of which depends on who loves the de jure heir. That would at least let you mitigate things like your prime heir having poo poo stats.

Also a bit of a modding question but has anyone found out where the succession laws are located? Laws just details the ability to switch between them. Defines might have the logic but I'm not entirely sure on how it works. Basically I want to add some enatic laws.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So has anyone here or on the Paradox forums completed a world conquest yet?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Typically, a clan retinue does not cost manpower except in some edge cases. A general leading an army who is later elected to be a clan leader will reinforce using your manpower AND also cost you maintenance money.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Is it a display issue then? I've definitely check my manpower before and after activiting the manpower blessing and it sure looked like the cap went up but not the regen rate.

Did you wait for a month to tick over? The game only updates a lot of calculations etc on the 1st of the month.

I just loaded up a save to check, switching from the -10% to +10% manpower law and regen rate definitely went up.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pax Aeterna on reddit except the achiievement was bugged :lol:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\ Doh. Too slow.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Here's one on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Imperator/comments/bjb512/pax_aeterna_a_rome_one_tag_world_conquest/

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Paradox should give him the first DLC for free.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Where can I see the maximum population that any given city can hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Zotix posted:

Where can I see the maximum population that any given city can hold?

As far as I know this is not implemented yet, i.e. a city can have as much population as you want. In the next big patch they'll change this.

Personally, I don't like this unless they make some very good mechanic for surplus growth once you hit you cap, it would be really annoying if you kept having to check which cities are near their cap so you can move their pops elsewhere.