Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Agile Vector posted:

a friend of mine works in the mental health field and said basically the same thing. they were not amused when the show came out and rolled their eyes and predicted itd cause more suicides so they were not surprised by the research just angry

i saw someone dismiss "the largest count of suicides in a month" as "p-hacking", so no worries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it certainly could be a coincidence or something else, but that would require more investigation and not dismissing it out of hand

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

i saw someone dismiss "the largest count of suicides in a month" as "p-hacking", so no worries

"i heard p-hacking was a thing once thus every study i don't agree with must have engaged in it"

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lancemantis posted:

"i heard p-hacking was a thing once thus every study i don't agree with must have engaged in it"

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

phacking

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i'm not p hacking i'm disrupting multiple comparison testing.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
phack the phlanet!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

phack and cham in your chomphuter

mystes
May 31, 2006

Who doesn't love phack?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hobbesmaster posted:

it certainly could be a coincidence or something else, but that would require more investigation and not dismissing it out of hand

its pretty consistent that any time there is mass media about suicide there is a spike following it usually using the method featured

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
pee hack

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ballsack

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

uh oh.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/uber_support/status/1122773891921928192

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
5470 likes. I need to sit down.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

El_Elegante posted:

5470 likes. I need to sit down.

tons of people love the gamer words, op

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fully automated or only partially?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

hobbesmaster posted:

fully automated or only partially?

i think a mix? from what id heard the person switched their account name, got the reply, then switched back. that certainly matches the way other personalized replies look. doesnt seem much better than ms and their easily trolled to racism ai

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Agile Vector posted:

i think a mix? from what id heard the person switched their account name, got the reply, then switched back. that certainly matches the way other personalized replies look. doesnt seem much better than ms and their easily trolled to racism ai

yeah they're exploiting a very basic script that probably does little more than copy the username into the reply and maybe if you're lucky file a ticket

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/1123599229296025600

:thunk:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:thunkher:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
how much loving public housing can thirty fuckin mil buy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

in San Francisco proper? 6 units? 7?

mystes
May 31, 2006

graph posted:

Probably a lot in a country where the government could actually build public housing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
*spends $30 million*

we have concluded that the root cause of homeless is that these people dont have any place to live

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

*spends $30 million*

we have concluded that the root cause of homeless is that these people dont have any place to live we have allowed the masses to forget what a guillotine is

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

*spends $30 million*

we have concluded that the root cause of homeless is that these people dont have any place to live

SYNOPSIS: First, picture a perfectly spherical homeless person

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

SYNOPSIS: First, picture a perfectly spherical homeless person

i can picture 4 of them, what now

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

in San Francisco proper? 6 units? 7?

Wow so what are you gonna do with your 30 mil?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

What are homeless? We just don't know.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

the unsold us housing inventory is roughly the same size as the homeless population
however could we find housing or support for these people, what could the obstacle be

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it’s capitalism. 30 million dollars, please.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

the unsold us housing inventory is roughly the same size as the homeless population
however could we find housing or support for these people, what could the obstacle be

why should dirty lazy homeless people get something for free that i had to pay for huh :colbert:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

why should dirty lazy homeless people get something for free that i had to pay for huh :colbert:

probably because it's the most cost / resource effective solution, and ideally money shouldn't even exist

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

it’s capitalism. 30 million dollars, please.

it would be funny if they just took the $30M and sent him a study that just said "its u"

wonder how the claw back would happen

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lancemantis posted:

it would be funny if they just took the $30M and sent him a study that just said "its u"

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lancemantis posted:

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

somewhere written into the grant is a fine print clause that says the study must come up with at least one viable method to scoop homeless people up in bucket loaders and dump them outside a 10 mile radius from this dude's house in a way that they can't just come back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

somewhere written into the grant is a fine print clause that says the study must come up with at least one viable method to scoop homeless people up in bucket loaders and dump them outside a 10 mile radius from this dude's house in a way that they can't just come back

ATTN: PLEASE DO NOT CAMP ON THIS MILLIONAIRE'S PROPERTY, WHICH IS LOCATED AT: