Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bruce, the wage slave is not responsible for marketing promotions, just buy out the drat franchise and make them change the name like a normal billionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

X-O posted:

I feel like contextually it's pretty obvious? Someone's getting an rear end beating.

I'll just chalk this up to getting old and being white, as that slang just sounds completely nonsensical.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
That probably isn't even really Mark.

The real Batman wouldn't brandish his secret identity so brazenly.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'll just chalk this up to getting old and being white, as that slang just sounds completely nonsensical.

Yup. You're old and white.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

That probably isn't even really Mark.

The real Batman wouldn't brandish his secret identity so brazenly.

yes father, i shall become mark

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Imagine a person taking out a dog for a walk, on a leash and everything. Now imagine the dog is another person, on a leash and on all fours. If you feel that might be slightly humiliating and creepy for the person on the leash, you get the threat. If you feel slightly aroused, you are just a regular Internet user.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Animal Man #2 (1988)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darthemed posted:

Animal Man #2 (1988)

Wow, Jaime Reyes was a real dick before he became Blue Beetle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GI Joe: Sierra Muerte #3

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I love Michel Fiffe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

War of the Realms #3

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Out of curiosity, is Tony's alcoholism ever touched upon these days? Or its a done and dusted plot point?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
approximately 50% of everyone who writes an iron man book goes back to that well.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

When it's comic Cobra Commander, does he still sound like Starscream?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

It wouldn't be Cobra Commander if he didn't.

Might as well be that loser Serpentor.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Infinitum posted:

Out of curiosity, is Tony's alcoholism ever touched upon these days? Or its a done and dusted plot point?

(I didn't actually read it because i find dan slott tedious)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Hell, the "he doesn't drink" line in itself is a direct acknowledgement of that plot point.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phy posted:

Not in the Larry Hama-written continuity:

But for anything playing off the Steve Gerber-developed CC for the cartoons (I can't find the exact quote, but he said something to the effect of "once I figured out he wasn't a world conqueror, but rather a raving lunatic, I had a lot more fun with him"), hell yeah he sounds like Starscream.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

War of the Realms #3

Shouldn’t Tony know some of those dwarves already from the totally gold and not at all terrible event Fear Itself?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Shouldn’t Tony know some of those dwarves already from the totally gold and not at all terrible event Fear Itself?

Probably! I mean he even hired a dwarf to come work for him at the end of that series. And of course said dwarf was almost immediately forgotten about after Fraction left the book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

(I didn't actually read it because i find dan slott tedious)

I like that cover.

I believe Tony sacrificed his sobriety during Fear Itself because Odin needed one to do some magic whammy. So he got loaded on Asgardian ale, I think.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's not quite right. It was Tony flipping off the one person who could help him:

Edit: original post was bad. Tony was a weapon maker. He needed an Asgardian weapon to defeat whomever. To get that he needed to get an audience with Odin so he could work in his workshops. Thus the scene above. Tony loving hates gods.

There's an even better scene later where he's working with the dwarves and the narration is Tony drinking to be social, then drinking to keep working, then drinking to keep drinking.

It's telling that this is the only scene in that crossover I can remember with any clarity.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 2, 2019

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The "Demon Dans Une Bouteille" label is a nice touch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonny Nox posted:

That's not quite right. It was Tony flipping off the one person who could help him:

Edit: original post was bad. Tony was a weapon maker. He needed an Asgardian weapon to defeat whomever. To get that he needed to get an audience with Odin so he could work in his workshops. Thus the scene above. Tony loving hates gods.

There's an even better scene later where he's working with the dwarves and the narration is Tony drinking to be social, then drinking to keep working, then drinking to keep drinking.

It's telling that this is the only scene in that crossover I can remember with any clarity.

It's some really good writing in an otherwise completely forgettable event. They even had some good follow-ups in Iron Man's solo book, as he brought back an alcoholic dwarf to earth so he could join AA.

The only other notable part of Fear Itself was the montage of the X-men trying to stop the super-duper Juggernaut.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

It's some really good writing in an otherwise completely forgettable event. They even had some good follow-ups in Iron Man's solo book, as he brought back an alcoholic dwarf to earth so he could join AA.

The only other notable part of Fear Itself was the montage of the X-men trying to stop the super-duper Juggernaut.

Rockslide + Gambit should be a combo more frequently used.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

I really loving hate that "I don't believe in you" line. Tony has met Odin and lives in a world where magic is real, gods hang out in his living room, supernatural embodiments of concepts regularly appear, and all of this is testable and repeatable. As a "scientist" he should 100% believe in gods in that kind of world. But the writer just goes "scientist = atheist" without understanding either concept.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Random Stranger posted:

I really loving hate that "I don't believe in you" line. Tony has met Odin and lives in a world where magic is real, gods hang out in his living room, supernatural embodiments of concepts regularly appear, and all of this is testable and repeatable. As a "scientist" he should 100% believe in gods in that kind of world. But the writer just goes "scientist = atheist" without understanding either concept.

When they rebooted the Avengers back in the 90s with Kurt Buseik/George Perez, they had this whole bit in the first issue where the other Avengers are talking to Tony and can't believe that he still refuses to believe in magic in spite of all the crazy poo poo they've seen. At the end of the issue, Morgana Le Fay casts a giant spell over the world that turns Earth into fantasy-land, and just as it happens Captain America's final thought is,"Tony is going to hate this!" :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It also got us Kid Loki (I know he was technically brought back before JiM, but no one cared that much about him).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Random Stranger posted:

I enjoy how Legends of Tomorrow addressed this; the team starts having to deal with magic stuff, so Ray (the resident science genius because his shrinking suit costs too much to use regularly on a TV budget) says "wow, neat!" and basically starts poking mystic sigils with probes in his lab and developing vaccines for demonic possession and such. "You don't have enough strength to cast this spell we need? We can just plug you into the ship's power system if we can make an appropriate converter."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic..."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I remember the Speedball story in the Frontline miniseries being very good and way better than the main series. The Deadpool miniseries was harmless fun too.

The worst part of the event was that Nick Spencer Avengers tie-in comic about the senator who was secretly an omega-level mutant all along and was able to singlehandedly solve the invasion problem, but instead allowed himself to die on TV as a way to inspire people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

instead allowed himself to die on TV as a way to inspire people.
Inspire people to...die on TV?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Random Stranger posted:

The Bible is an entire book devoted to the idea of a magic casting god walking among people in real life and a key plot point is that not everyone believes in Jesus.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ghostlight posted:

The Bible is an entire book devoted to the idea of a magic casting god walking among people in real life and a key plot point is that not everyone believes in Jesus.

I think if Jesus were flying around shooting lightning at people it would have been a little harder to ignore, especially if Jesus were your roommate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean Tony also knows the Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange and all sorts of other beings who are absurdly powerful but not literal Gods. I can understand reasonably going "I think you're an extremely powerful being but I doubt you really created life from some old wood" or whatever.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Or just "you're obviously very powerful, and may in fact have created life, but I still don't want spiritual/moral/life advice from you."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Fear Itself as a concept was better than the story.

Like when it came out there were these amazing ads for it asking what do you fear?

And they showed things like Spider-man looking at a store going out of business and Cyclops dressed as Magneto.
I thought they were really cool and would lead to interesting introspective stories about heroes having to deal with things they feared and weren't able to properly grapple with.

Instead all those ads had nothing to do with the story.

Then I saw the preview pages for the Worthy. All these characters who get magic hammers that make them evil.
And again that seemed really groovy. Like what links the Hulk and the Absorbing Man. What character flaw makes them so susceptible to being taken over?
And then I read the books and there was no explanations. It's like they were picked out of a hat. Avengers Alliance (RIP that dumb, Facebook flash game) had more of an in depth look at why some people became the Worthy.

Then I saw the ads for the Mighty. Uru powered versions of the heroes. Why did Wolverine and She-Hulk get made Mighty. What news powers did they have?
No idea in the book they show up with a new outfit and they just win.

The more of Fear Itself I read the worse it became. Because it hinted at stuff that was really cool and sits in your head as the kernel of a great story. Then you read it and it turns to dust.
I could have read the Ironman tie in stuff about Tony failing to save Paris and going to Asguard and all that. But after being burned so many times by the event, I decided to leave it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tony doesn't believe in god or Odin because he knows they exist. It's their divinity he doesn't believe in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Journey into Mystery was also good but despite having a ton of the story be about stopping whatever the bad guy from Fear Itself was called, it really had nothing to do with Fear Itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Tony's alcoholism and Odin, here's a scene from Thor #10 in the aftermath of a fight where Thor and Odin beat the poo poo out of each other