Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

At level 1 sleep is actually kinda OP. It does become terrible very quickly, but you can just switch it out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, Sleep falls off a cliff by like level 5 at the absolute latest, but it's fun and good for the first few levels.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why not just have your ghosts not be resistant/immune to mundane weapons. The D&D police aren't going to lock you up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Infinity Gaia posted:

At level 1 sleep is actually kinda OP. It does become terrible very quickly, but you can just switch it out then.

I know it's good at low levels, just not fun to me even when it is good.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If you're not going to take the two best low level spells, why did you ask for advice?

Just take whatever you think is fun?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Toshimo posted:

Why not just have your ghosts not be resistant/immune to mundane weapons. The D&D police aren't going to lock you up.

I'm already doing that. I'm looking for a different mechanic that feels "ghosty" to make them unique and interesting from all the other bags of HP in the MM. I like the moonlight moving around the battlefield idea.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Infinity Gaia posted:

I run a DnD game for some of my students at the high school where I teach. The kid playing a bard has saved the party's asses multiple times using sleep to give everyone the chance to heal up and reposition.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Infinity Gaia posted:

Be careful in AL. Things can get far too much HP if you're the lone level 1 in a party of level 4s.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I'm sure it can be found by digging around somewhere in the thread, but is there any decent guidelines for a Swashbuckler/Hexblade? Character is already made but I'm at a level where I can switch things around still. Variant Human, starting feat is adjustable and he's currently Level 4. My thought was to put him at 3 Swash/1 Hex for the time being and then continue on with Rogue.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna be a level 1 Bard in a party with Barbarian, a Monk, and a Warlock. Healing Word is an auto include but what should my other spell selection be for my first few level?. Cure Wounds doesn't seem worth it until later.

Thunderwave is good AoE even if the rest of the party is OK at damage, Heroism could be quite cost effective to cast on the Barbarian, Faerie Fire is a decent debuff.

Cure Wounds isn't ever worth it; never take it.

Arthil posted:

I'm sure it can be found by digging around somewhere in the thread, but is there any decent guidelines for a Swashbuckler/Hexblade? Character is already made but I'm at a level where I can switch things around still. Variant Human, starting feat is adjustable and he's currently Level 4. My thought was to put him at 3 Swash/1 Hex for the time being and then continue on with Rogue.

Decide whether you want Hexblade 1 (CHA to melee, Booming Blade), Hexblade 3 (Darkness+Devil's Sight, Imp. Pact Weapon/Book of Ancient Secrets/Mask of Many Faces), or Hexblade 5 (Extra Attack) and take only that many Warlock levels, rest in Rogue.

Personally, I'd get to Rogue 5 first before deciding since Uncanny Dodge is so nice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Wouldn't Sleep actually be more viable at higher levels in this version? My reasoning is that the flatter maths makes it more viable to design encounters at advanced levels that are "a large quantity of weak enemies", giving Sleep an ability to reduce the action advantage that the party faces in those situations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

JustJeff88 posted:

Wouldn't Sleep actually be more viable at higher levels in this version? My reasoning is that the flatter maths makes it more viable to design encounters at advanced levels that are "a large quantity of weak enemies", giving Sleep an ability to reduce the action advantage that the party faces in those situations.

Maybe in a relative sense compared to other editions, but it still doesn't hold up well in relation with enemy hp scaling.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Decide whether you want Hexblade 1 (CHA to melee, Booming Blade), Hexblade 3 (Darkness+Devil's Sight, Imp. Pact Weapon/Book of Ancient Secrets/Mask of Many Faces), or Hexblade 5 (Extra Attack) and take only that many Warlock levels, rest in Rogue.

Personally, I'd get to Rogue 5 first before deciding since Uncanny Dodge is so nice.

I'd thought about that. But the way I've got him set up, and this was from Level 1, is his stats are 10 14 14 10 10 16. Suppose sure, I could dump a couple of the other stats to get a 16 DEX early. Will need to think on it.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

HP scaling may be relatively flat, but Sleep's scaling is even flatter. An additional 2d8 per spell level doesn't even come close to making it worth keeping around. I've only seen it get worse as the game progresses, and most players I've seen stop using it entirely by level 3.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Arthil posted:

I'd thought about that. But the way I've got him set up, and this was from Level 1, is his stats are 10 14 14 10 10 16. Suppose sure, I could dump a couple of the other stats to get a 16 DEX early. Will need to think on it.
Why do you want DEX 16?

Oh, you haven't actually taken any Warlock levels yet? Then just take the one, then Rogue 5, then any additional Warlock levels you decide upon before heading back to Rogue.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna be a level 1 Bard in a party with Barbarian, a Monk, and a Warlock. Healing Word is an auto include but what should my other spell selection be for my first few level?. Cure Wounds doesn't seem worth it until later.

Dissonant Whispers. Use it to provoke opportunity attacks for the barb and monk. Warlock and yourself too if they melee. It can cause a simultaneous team beatdown on the fleeing monster.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why do you want DEX 16?

Oh, you haven't actually taken any Warlock levels yet? Then just take the one, then Rogue 5, then any additional Warlock levels you decide upon before heading back to Rogue.

Oh no no, I've got 3 levels of rogue and 1 of warlock. This guy has gotten to Level 4 already but we're able to rework before getting to Level 5. Stats had always been planned around a Warlock dip. This originally was a Fighter/Warlock and at the time I had Crossbow Expert for my Variant Human feat. Given I'm switching to Swashbuckler, I guess Lucky is a pretty obvious option unless I wanna go for something RP-focused.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Arthil posted:

Oh no no, I've got 3 levels of rogue and 1 of warlock. This guy has gotten to Level 4 already but we're able to rework before getting to Level 5. Stats had always been planned around a Warlock dip. This originally was a Fighter/Warlock and at the time I had Crossbow Expert for my Variant Human feat. Given I'm switching to Swashbuckler, I guess Lucky is a pretty obvious option unless I wanna go for something RP-focused.

The only other use of a feat I can think of is twisting your stats around a bit and using Resilient (CON) to bump your CON to 16. But Lucky probably ends up doing about the same thing and more, depending on how long your average adventuring day lasts, so it's hardly a clear-cut choice.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ritorix posted:

Dissonant Whispers. Use it to provoke opportunity attacks for the barb and monk. Warlock and yourself too if they melee. It can cause a simultaneous team beatdown on the fleeing monster.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Doing a one shot that may end up not being just a one shot.

Custom world, entire group is human. We will be level 10.

I want to play a wizard that fucks around with poo poo so I decided Arcane Trickster Rogue 4/Illusion Wizard 6. I really like that I'll have a bunch of cantrips, the ability to do some extra sweet poo poo with my illusions plus having lots of skill proficiency from Rogue as well as able to wear some armour.

Our DM is fair and our sessions are not combat heavy. In 18 hours of game time over 3 sessions we have drawn weapons two times and combat has lasted maybe 1hr total.

Reading up on some guides apparently my build isn't the way to go due to my character essentially being not great in combat however I don't think that is too much of a concern for this.

Was just wondering if anyone had some ideas or feedback on this. I was going to expertise Stealth and Sleight of Hand for the ability to deftly sneak around and steal poo poo as necessary with ease. That combined with illusion spells and invisibly and poo poo like that should make for some fun creative RP and planning.

Was just wondering if anyone had done something similar and had some feedback. As far as combat I'd like to pick maybe a couple of spells and just be able to cast with higher level spell slots (so Fireball and maybe some single target spells?). I know my cantrips and my sneak attack damage will be sub par but with our group combat has never been the focus.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I think a Bard does your concept better. They have access to tons of illusions, are excellent skillmonkeys, and can be built to handle themselves well in combat.

Bards rule.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition - Just Roll a Bard Instead

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Now triple class into Sorcerer for Subtle Spell.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

plester1 posted:

I think a Bard does your concept better. They have access to tons of illusions, are excellent skillmonkeys, and can be built to handle themselves well in combat.

Bards rule.

So thief into bard instead of wizard?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You don't need the Rogue levels if you're going Bard.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Conspiratiorist posted:

You don't need the Rogue levels if you're going Bard.

Maybe I should highlight what I'm after the most:

I am highly intrigued by the mage hand being able to sleight of hand and unlock locks and want to be able to pull that poo poo off.

While also being able to throw around more spells and poo poo that just a rogue can.

Essentially I am OK sacrificing combat optimization to be able to do a bunch of tricky jack-knife utility poo poo. But the core of that tricky poo poo is essentially a sneaky mage hand.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

doctor 7 posted:

I am highly intrigued by the mage hand being able to sleight of hand and unlock locks and want to be able to pull that poo poo off.

While also being able to throw around more spells and poo poo that just a rogue can.

Essentially I am OK sacrificing combat optimization to be able to do a bunch of tricky jack-knife utility poo poo. But the core of that tricky poo poo is essentially a sneaky mage hand.

Like... this is just Arcane Trickster Rogue isn't it?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Like... this is just Arcane Trickster Rogue isn't it?

I would have significantly more spell slots and spells available to me by multiclassing into Wizard from Arcane Trickster Rogue. As well double the amount of cantrips.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

lightrook posted:

The only other use of a feat I can think of is twisting your stats around a bit and using Resilient (CON) to bump your CON to 16. But Lucky probably ends up doing about the same thing and more, depending on how long your average adventuring day lasts, so it's hardly a clear-cut choice.

Given each session you have is basically a Brand New Day in 70% of all games, yeah. It's honestly a no-brainer.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I just hit L4 as a bard. My rolled stats are 10, 16, 14, 11, 12, 18. For setting reasons, I went v human and took resilient con. My group is BM Fighter, a Barbarian of some kind, they are swapping it in for their fighter they are replacing, a blaster wizard, and a non-bm ranger, can't remember which one they took.

I can't decide if I should do an ASI to 20 cha, or grab another feat. Partly because I am still trying to figure out what I want. My goal with the character, as the most experienced with DnD player at the table is to just fill all the gaps and smooth the edges for the group. I feel like taking the temp hp feat would help shore up a lack of sustain magic which is me and the ranger. But also 20 cha would boost lots of things.

What do you guys think?

Dameius fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 2, 2019

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Control. CHA 20 gives a better mod. Instead of temp HP, prevent the damage

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Both CHA 20 and Inspiring Leader are good picks if you're getting 2-3 short rests per long one.

You don't need 'sustain magic', though; the Ranger is going to get Healing Spirit next level (and nothing better to use their 2nd level slots on other than that), and you should be buying/crafting pots as you're able.

There are no potions that recover spell slots, but a Potion of Healing is basically a hit die for 50 gold a pop.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pass Without Trace, Silence and Spike Growth are pretty good tho. They're no Healing Spirit, but Healing Spirit is straight up OP as hell so it's not a fair comparison to make.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

doctor 7 posted:

A pure bard can do all of this.

Mage Hand is a bard cantrip. Compared to wizards, bards also don’t have to prepare their spells ahead of time. This makes them much better suited for utility stuff, especially since they have so much illusion magic.

Bards also get Expertise at 3rd level, so they can potentially be just as good at sneakthievery as a rogue. Depending on your bard college choice, you can lean more towards sneaky stuff, combat stuff, or spellcasting.

Bards are really loving good.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
By sustain I just meant healing. I've not burned slots in combat healing people and we've gotten by with pots, second wind, and between fight hit die. In combat I've been setting faerie fire and dissonant whisper traps mostly.

I am lore, so I was thinking with inspiring leader, I could use my first secrets to get a group buff, like Crusader's Mantle, and maybe something like haste. But with the wizard in the group maybe go with poaching from the non wizard list? Revivify and possibly a second counter spell for the group?

Either way, with inspiring leader, it opens up spells choices for other more fun stuff. But also, healing seems managed for now so ASI, yeah?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

plester1 posted:

A pure bard can do all of this.

Mage Hand is a bard cantrip. Compared to wizards, bards also don’t have to prepare their spells ahead of time. This makes them much better suited for utility stuff, especially since they have so much illusion magic.

Bards also get Expertise at 3rd level, so they can potentially be just as good at sneakthievery as a rogue. Depending on your bard college choice, you can lean more towards sneaky stuff, combat stuff, or spellcasting.

Bards are really loving good.

Pure bard doesn't get the invisible improved mage hand Arcane Trickster does. You can also pickpocket/reverse pickpocket with it and do stuff like pick locks and such. If his entire concept is 'wants to do cool tricks with mage hand' then he definitely should go Arcane Trickster, who is entirely based around it. Bards aren't the answer to LITERALLY EVERYTHING, guys.

Admittedly he could just take 3 levels to get Mage Hand Legerdemain and then multiclass to bard but the point stands.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I mean at a certain point you gotta realize that 5e doesn't exactly have a ton of player facing options.

What you described is an arcane trickster that multiclassed into wizard. Yep. If you're asking for more on top of that, uh, max out intelligence and maybe dexterity. That's about it. That's all the big player facing options you got.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

Pure bard doesn't get the invisible improved mage hand Arcane Trickster does. You can also pickpocket/reverse pickpocket with it and do stuff like pick locks and such. If his entire concept is 'wants to do cool tricks with mage hand' then he definitely should go Arcane Trickster, who is entirely based around it. Bards aren't the answer to LITERALLY EVERYTHING, guys.

Admittedly he could just take 3 levels to get Mage Hand Legerdemain and then multiclass to bard but the point stands.

For what it's worth I am seriously considering Rogue 4 / Bard 6 after looking through it. It seems neat for all the skills and whatnot for sure.

Not sure I want to be that good at everything and dominate so many rolls though

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The basic problem is that there's very little connection or synergy (sorry) between arcane trickster and bard, and lots of overlap. You're mostly just throwing away 4 levels there, and that's a lot.

"But Cirno I want to be an arcane trickster but with good charisma instead of intelligence!"

Too bad, 5e doesn't really support it. Change characters or move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So, a question about Kensei monks and their Kensei weapon AC buff. My player read online somewhere that he is suppose to do an unarmed attack before actually attacking with it before it'll count the +2 AC. Where is he possibly getting that from since the description of the abililty doesn't really bring that up at all? It reads like he just have +2 AC as long he's holding it.