Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

nwin posted:

What do you guys use to clean your cabinets and range top? Right above my range/microwave seems to be where all the oil ends up going and the cabinets and top of the microwave have a greasy film to them despite not doing much frying at all. Any suggestions on cleaning products?

I remove the burner grate and tray, brush off any carbon or burned food, maybe give them a light rinse, and put them in the dishwasher, because that's the cleanest they're ever getting without using serious chemicals. While those are washing, I'll use vinegar and water to lightly clean the stovetop, then I let a heavy layer of Lysol spray just sit for a few minutes before wiping it off. It always looks good after that.

For heavy grime that I can't remove with paper towels and spray, a razor blade has always been my favorite tool. This has worked well on old, lived-in, and neglected places I've moved into in the past. I don't know what they're called, but you can buy little scraper tools designed to make holding a razor blade a little easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

What do you guys use to clean your cabinets and range top? Right above my range/microwave seems to be where all the oil ends up going and the cabinets and top of the microwave have a greasy film to them despite not doing much frying at all. Any suggestions on cleaning products?
Simple Green.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DasNeonLicht posted:

I'd cook them with kale or collard greens to make something southern style like this

Do you think mustard greens would work in place of kale here? We got some in our produce box yesterday and I've not cooked with them before.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, absolutely, mustard greens can be treated pretty much exactly the same

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

nwin posted:

Along this same theme, does anyone have a range hood that actually vents to the outside? And if so, how do you clean it? I’ve been in this house for 17 years, and am moderately concerned about grease buildup, but every company I talked to that cleans hoods only does it for commercial restaurants.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

How do I go about prepping this for use in a pasta sauce? Strangely enough googling "El mexicano carne de soya" brings up a bunch of webpages and videos in spanish :v:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It looks like TVP just Google that you'll get a million results. I've never used it but it looks like the jist is reconstitute it in stock or just let it simmer in the sauce for about 10 minutes.

Maybe you can brown it in oil after you rehydrate it IDK.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

It looks like TVP just Google that you'll get a million results. I've never used it but it looks like the jist is reconstitute it in stock or just let it simmer in the sauce for about 10 minutes.

Maybe you can brown it in oil after you rehydrate it IDK.

Oh drat, it's also known as TVP. Thank you.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Do you think mustard greens would work in place of kale here? We got some in our produce box yesterday and I've not cooked with them before.

In my head, any kind of robust bitter green has always been interchangeable — slowly simmer with onion, garlic, and some sort of smoked, salty, fatty pork product (vegetarians and healthy eaters substitute more garlic and smoked paprika) (and drink the liquor) or use them in a salad if you're a masochist really hardcore.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

LongSack posted:

Along this same theme, does anyone have a range hood that actually vents to the outside? And if so, how do you clean it? I’ve been in this house for 17 years, and am moderately concerned about grease buildup, but every company I talked to that cleans hoods only does it for commercial restaurants.

Maybe see if a chimney sweep or duct cleaning company will take a look?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

effika posted:

Any local HVAC place that does residential and commercial should be able to get a guy out to you. They are going to want commercial money for cleaning your residential hood tho.

e: Residential and commercial installs, i mean. Their maintenance guys can handle all the stuff usually.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

spankmeister posted:

If you get frozen fries they will have been fried once already.

Frying twice beats fresh cut any day of the week, imo.

Always be par-frying.

Back at the bar, my process was cut, soak overnight to bleed off some of the starch, par-fry, freeze, and then finish in half peanut oil half regular fryer oil right before serving.

Worked out a treat, although they eventually cut the peanut oil for cost and allergen reasons.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 2, 2019

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

effika posted:

Totally Reasonable posted:

Any local HVAC place that does residential and commercial should be able to get a guy out to you. They are going to want commercial money for cleaning your residential hood tho.

e: Residential and commercial installs, i mean. Their maintenance guys can handle all the stuff usually.

Thanks, good ideas, although yeah, I worry about the cost.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a good recipe for shortgrain rice in an instant pot

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

What are some ideas for healthy and filling snacks that I can easily keep around to eat throughout the day? I need to gain weight and retrain my appetite to actually want to eat food, so my doctor suggested eating lots of little things throughout the day but I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking things like muesli bars, but I don't just want to buy a million boxes of those, so I'm looking for recipes I can make a lot of that will keep for a while. Any ideas would be helpful just to get me thinking of things!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I'm like a half a page late but subbing a homemade peanut butter that's a little salty in a recipe where you add commercial PB and salt should be fine.

If you're super worried about it roast an onion or something with no salt and puree it in

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

What are some ideas for healthy and filling snacks that I can easily keep around to eat throughout the day? I need to gain weight and retrain my appetite to actually want to eat food, so my doctor suggested eating lots of little things throughout the day but I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking things like muesli bars, but I don't just want to buy a million boxes of those, so I'm looking for recipes I can make a lot of that will keep for a while. Any ideas would be helpful just to get me thinking of things!

You could try making energy bars using dates. Lots of recipes available, there’s even a chef John video. Basically you pulverize pitted dates, add nuts, berries, etc, then form into bars. High caloric density and delicious; I bring them on camping trips.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gluten Freeman posted:

Lawnie posted:

You could try making energy bars using dates. Lots of recipes available, there’s even a chef John video. Basically you pulverize pitted dates, add nuts, berries, etc, then form into bars. High caloric density and delicious; I bring them on camping trips.

And if bars are too big, you can make balls, too. I use this recipe, and a 2 TBS scoop to make balls that I roll in coconut or chocolate. (Use a scoop like this: https://www.amazon.com/NORPRO-NOR-703-Scoop-Santoprene-Handle/dp/B000SSVRYM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2+tbs+scoop&qid=1556892526&s=gateway&sr=8-3)

15 medjool dates pitted (that means without the pits)
1/2 cup of your favorite nut (I use pecans, but you can use cashew, almond, walnut, whatever you want)
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (You'll get plenty of sugar from the dates)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
A few tablespoons of coconut or cocoa powder in a small bowl for rolling.

In a food processor, chop the dates and nuts until they're 1/4" pieces. Then add in the coconut, cocoa, and vanilla. Keep pulsing until the mixture has a uniform mealy look to it. Grab a pinch, and if you can roll it into a ball in your palm and it holds together, then move on to the next step. If not pulse it a couple more times, and you can even add water, 1tsp at a time to get it to the right consistency. You want it sticky enough to hold together, but not so sticky that it leaves an absolute mess on your hands when you're rolling it.

Once you've got it to the desired consistency, use the scoop to measure out 2 tbs at a time and roll it into a nice ball. Then roll that ball around in the coconut or the cocoa powder, and place onto some parchment paper. Once they're all rolled out, put them in the fridge for at least an hour. Don't skip this step or else they'll be too soft. Then transfer them to a container with an airtight lid, and they'll keep up to a week in the fridge.

Note: There is a variation I make that has 1/2 cup of egg protein powder in it. If you do this, the flavor gets a slight "meringue" aspect to it, and you get the added benefits of adding protein to your diet. Be ready to add 2 tbs of water to the mix to offset the extra dry ingredient.

EDIT: Store them in the fridge, but they travel well. I pop a couple in my lunch box every day to have instead of eating some sort of trash sweet snack in the afternoon. You don't need to keep them cold for the few hours between leaving home and eating lunch.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 3, 2019

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Gluten Freeman posted:

What are some ideas for healthy and filling snacks that I can easily keep around to eat throughout the day? I need to gain weight and retrain my appetite to actually want to eat food, so my doctor suggested eating lots of little things throughout the day but I'm not sure where to start.

I did my recovery weight gain using low-salt mixed nuts and homebrew plumpy'nut bars. Even if you can't keep stuff down, or just don't generally want to eat, you'll gain in the medium term with those. Just don't get hooked on cashews and turn into a fatass like I did.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Safe to eat or not:

Unopened package of bacon about a week past "best by date"

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Almost assuredly fine. Open and smell it. Does it smell fine?

Is the lean part still pink, or kind of a cloudy brown?

If smells good, and lean is still pink, you're fine.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Like many people here, I love cooking, but I hate cleaning afterwards.

Specifically, I hate dealing with grease.

Is there a product or something that I can, like, spray on the pan or whatever, that will allow me to safely pour the grease down the kitchen sink?

Currently I use a shitload of paper towels to suck up the grease and throw them in the trash. Feels very wasteful, and it takes a while.

I also tried pouring the grease into plastic bags and disposing them, but holding the plastic bag open with a single hand while holding the pan in the other hand is hard.

Thanks in advance.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lye but still not a good idea I reckon

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a product or something that I can, like, spray on the pan or whatever, that will allow me to safely pour the grease down the kitchen sink?

Currently I use a shitload of paper towels to suck up the grease and throw them in the trash. Feels very wasteful, and it takes a while.

I also tried pouring the grease into plastic bags and disposing them, but holding the plastic bag open with a single hand while holding the pan in the other hand is hard.

Thanks in advance.

Pour into an aluminum or steel can, dispose of can when full. If you want tipp be environmentally friendly, put it in the fridge and once is solid, scrape it into the garbage and wash the can for reuse.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

therobit posted:

Pour into an aluminum or steel can, dispose of can when full. If you want tipp be environmentally friendly, put it in the fridge and once is solid, scrape it into the garbage and wash the can for reuse.

This but instead of the trash, put it in a pan to cook other things in

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are 2 spots in my tiny city which will take oil for proper disposal. First time I started saving old oil I used water bottles or jam jars, now I just save the empty when I finish a bottle of oil.

Question - is buttercream bad to put down the sink? The oil I'm fine sitting at room temp (sealed in my laundry room) for months, but I have a batch of buttercream and I can imagine it growing into a monster.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Biodegradable trash?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just pour it out on the road, its the city's problem now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

enraged_camel posted:

Thanks in advance.

I don't generate tons of volume so when I do fry something or have a lot at once (1-4 pints) I'll just dump it along a fenceline or into the compost. It's biodegradable, just not superbly so.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I saw a video the other day where someone buries it in their vegetable garden because supposedly it's a decent enough fertilizer? I don't know if it's actually true.

But what I do is I keep an empty milk carton that pour the grease in and I just throw it out when full.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Comedy option: make biodiesel out of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m going to make cauliflower cheese today, and I’ve forgotten which recipe I used last time: all the ones I can see online recommend boiling the cauliflower for five minutes before baking in the cheese sauce: that sounds like a good way to have mushy cauliflower... What does everyone else do?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I clean up the stem a bit then put the whole cauliflower in a big pot, then steam it wtih a couple fingers of water in the bottom with the lid closed.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How long do you do that? Five minutes?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well, steaming takes longer so I'd start with 5 minutes and check for the desired doneness after that but usually it takes at least 8 minutes before it's tender enough to go to the baking stage.

If the steaming is all the cooking the cauliflower gets, it can easily take 15 minutes or more to cook the whole thing fork tender.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Really? I coulda sworn I'd steam broccoli for 5 minutes and it was fine (it was chopped up into florets, not a whole crown)

I'm also vaguely remembering Alton Brown saying something about brassicas releasing sulfur stink if they get moist heat for too long

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 5, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I’m going to make cauliflower cheese today, and I’ve forgotten which recipe I used last time: all the ones I can see online recommend boiling the cauliflower for five minutes before baking in the cheese sauce: that sounds like a good way to have mushy cauliflower... What does everyone else do?

Depends on how fine the cauliflower's cut, but I usually steam it for a few minutes as it makes the whole process faster.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I left an opened can of tomato paste on the counter overnight, will it be safe to use as part of a chicken rub?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

As with p much every time someone asks, as long as you're not feeding anyone super young or super old or immunocompromised, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Every year for my birthday I do a BBQ. Usually smoked ribs. Is there something else new I should try smoking