Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's some really good anime though, even if you hate typical anime tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Anime is good and cool.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cicero posted:

There's some really good anime though, even if you hate typical anime tropes.

For me it has nothing to do with tropes, I just don't like the art style, and I've met way too many "those people" who make me not want to associate with it at all.

Weebs ruin everything :colbert:

Finished Gathering Storm, pretty good. Started Towers of Midnight. I think I have a hard time taking Perrin seriously because every time he has a wolf dream I just think of that one episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes on a trip from eating chili and starts talking to a fox.

About half way through Calamity, David is definitely far worse than Lift or any other character Sanderson has written, IMO

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
anime is bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sab669 posted:

For me it has nothing to do with tropes, I just don't like the art style,

By 'art style' do you mean "anything animated" or what? There's no single art style to anime...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I enjoy all your "typical" pop culture, western, animated cartoons, but I don't know how to answer that. I suspect it's like trying to explain the nuances of all the metal subgenres to someone who doesn't like metal at all.

Image search "anime", click through as many pages as your hearts content. It doesn't appeal to me.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

For me it has nothing to do with tropes, I just don't like the art style, and I've met way too many "those people" who make me not want to associate with it at all.

Weebs ruin everything :colbert:
I agree with this kinda, there's so many bad, super creepy anime that seem to get most of the attention these days. I used to have friends who watched a lot of it and they knew what style I liked so they could point out the non lovely ones to me.

Sab669 posted:

Finished Gathering Storm, pretty good. Started Towers of Midnight. I think I have a hard time taking Perrin seriously because every time he has a wolf dream I just think of that one episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes on a trip from eating chili and starts talking to a fox.

Sadly Perrin doesn't change much anymore in the books you got ahead of you, even worse he has an other "I CANT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT FAILEEEEE!" moment.
On the plus side you've got A Memory of Light ahead of you where a lot of characters do amazing stuff, most importantly Mat.
So congratz, you made it through the slog and get to the really good finish of the series.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
As a baby gay in the 90s, seeing Sailor Moon with Haruka and Michiru being actual girlfriends (no "cousins" in the German translation) blew my mind and was super important to me. Not all anime is bad.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Perrin has one really great scene in Midnight IIRC.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HidaO-Win posted:

Perrin has one really great scene in Midnight IIRC.

He has a couple. But the one I think you're thinking of is awesome

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Not all anime is bad.

I certainly don't mean to suggest that it is. I fully admit that for me it's kind of a "guilty by association" thing where there were just way too many of "that weird rear end kid" between high school and college who just creeped everyone out, only ever wanted to talk about anime, makes references to it all the time when they know full well no one at the D&D table watches whatever they're referencing in addition to the general art style not appealing to me.

Kind of like how I'm reluctant to admit I watch Rick & Morty because holy loving poo poo the community sucks rear end.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 30, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RC Cola posted:

He has a couple. But the one I think you're thinking of is awesome

Please elaborate, in spoilers if necessary. I'm blanking

Unless you mean the bit where he kills that dude with a hammer because he thinks he kidnapped Faile but actually he was rescuing her, that was pretty baller

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Perrin’s big awesome moment

When he forge Mjölnir

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

HidaO-Win posted:

Perrin’s big awesome moment

When he forge Mjölnir

This.

Another one is When all of the wolves are gathering around dragonmount when Rand is making the choice to destroy the world or not. That was very cool to watch from the world of dreams.

Also his Hopper training montage. And when he just one ups Egwene in the world of dreams during the Mesaana fight.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I certainly don't mean to suggest that it is. I fully admit that for me it's kind of a "guilty by association" thing where there were just way too many of "that weird rear end kid" between high school and college who just creeped everyone out, only ever wanted to talk about anime, makes references to it all the time when they know full well no one at the D&D table watches whatever they're referencing in addition to the general art style not appealing to me.

Kind of like how I'm reluctant to admit I watch Rick & Morty because holy loving poo poo the community sucks rear end.

You might wanna try some of the films by Studio Ghibli (Mononoke Hime), they are super pretty and very fun to watch. Stay away from Graves of the Fireflies tough, that one is super depressing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RC Cola posted:

This.

Another one is When all of the wolves are gathering around dragonmount when Rand is making the choice to destroy the world or not. That was very cool to watch from the world of dreams.

Also his Hopper training montage. And when he just one ups Egwene in the world of dreams during the Mesaana fight.

Yeah, Perrin deflecting balefire with a bored wave was metal as gently caress

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

As a certified anime hater I really resent all of these comparisons :colbert:

How can you possible like Sanderson and not like anime? Sanderson is anime. Sanderson is more anime than some animated movies from Japan.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Patrick Spens posted:

How can you possible like Sanderson and not like anime? Sanderson is anime. Sanderson is more anime than some animated movies from Japan.

Not in my head. Just say no to anime, kids.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Avoiding anime or Rick and Morty just because a subset of the fanbases are toxic is silly.

Also really hilarious, given where we're posting. In case you haven't noticed, there is no shortage of hosed up goons, yet we're all still posting here.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cicero posted:

Avoiding anime or Rick and Morty just because a subset of the fanbases are toxic is silly.

Also really hilarious, given where we're posting. In case you haven't noticed, there is no shortage of hosed up goons, yet we're all still posting here.

I never mentioned the fanbase, I just never understood the appeal. Never found them interesting or cool. Just grating.

VVVV Edit - Oh, duh on my part.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 2, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I was responding more to Sab.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, Perrin deflecting balefire with a bored wave was metal as gently caress

It's just a weave

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nah that's his real beard man

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sure, but as I said I still just don't find the visual style appealing.

I really don't actively consume any video content right now at all though, my ADHD likes to just throw on reruns as background noise that I can tune in and out of - if I even have anything on at all.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

:wrong:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Lift is Kid Goku from the original Dragonball and you can't convince me otherwise.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lift is also the most annoying character. Coincidence? I think not

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Kaladin flies around and uses Stormlight to greatly enhance his body as he smashes into enemies...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Lift is Kid Goku from the original Dragonball and you can't convince me otherwise.

yes I agree. That's what I keep complaining about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Daric posted:

Kaladin flies around and uses Stormlight to greatly enhance his body as he smashes into enemies...

Lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daric posted:

And Dalinar "All Might" Kholin the Blackthron.

e: drat, Season 4 doesn't start until October.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Torrannor posted:

Like in so many other things, dead shardblades behave differently from the real ones in this regard. Kaladin's eyes become very light when he surgebinds, and they darken to their natural eye color after a some time. It's only the dead shardblade holders who become permanent lighteyes.
Does bonding a shardblade give permanent light eyes? Or is it like surebinding, summoning the blade is what causes the change in eye color?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

th3t00t posted:

Does bonding a shardblade give permanent light eyes? Or is it like surebinding, summoning the blade is what causes the change in eye color?

It's apparently the bonding itself. Those who bond a shardblade get light eyes permanently, which is the reason why darkeyes get promoted to high ranking lighteyes upon doing so.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
To join Lift chat, I found her chapters in WOK and WOR to be unenjoyable and her character annoying. Then edgedancer came out and I upgraded her to tolerable or ok. She remained OK in oathbringer.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Sab669 posted:

I enjoy all your "typical" pop culture, western, animated cartoons, but I don't know how to answer that. I suspect it's like trying to explain the nuances of all the metal subgenres to someone who doesn't like metal at all.

Image search "anime", click through as many pages as your hearts content. It doesn't appeal to me.

So racism bolstered by morons acting like morons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How smooth is your brain in order to equate not liking an art style with thinking an entire race is inferior to another? What the gently caress :psyduck: I don't watch Avatar: The Last Airbender either, and that's an American anime. Am I racist against white people too now?

As far as actual on topic posting goes, finished The Reckoners today. I like that in typical Sanderson fashion it explodes in scope in the last like 50 pages, but this series didn't seem to have the usual "Sanderstorm" for the last 1/3 of the book.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wow people get hella defensive about their anime if they're calling people racist for not liking it lol.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Everyone has different tastes and we should all be cool about it and on that note I'm nearly done with Warbreaker and power levels being measured by how much breath you have and the main girls' hair colors constantly changing and the talking black sword and the cool lazy god dude who is cool and lazy and has snappy comebacks for everything and everyone is all anime as gently caress.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'll definitely agree with you there. That book was..... okay, I guess. I couldn't really get invested in any of the characters or the setting though. Really the only thing I got out of that book were the connections to the broader cosmere. Even the magic system felt contrived, and its rules were poorly defined IMO so people could just kind of magic their way out of a bad situation without things being earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It's apparently the bonding itself. Those who bond a shardblade get light eyes permanently, which is the reason why darkeyes get promoted to high ranking lighteyes upon doing so.

I don't think this is right? I think his eyes still turn from blue back to the original color after a few hours.

There's a quote from Brandon about the reason for the change:

quote:

It is just kind of the way that the changes the Stormlight is making the body and certain people are already descended from people who had repeated, over time, changes by the body which stopped physically... That's not to say that all lighteyes that's where they came from. There are some that are natural mutations.