Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Alright, I'll probably skip Stein's Gate 0, any more opinions or thoughts about Chaos Child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it sucked but I'm having trouble articulating why other than 'it killed off characters I like just to make the main character miserable'.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The ending really soured me on the game the first time I played it. I really did not like how much of the game only happens because Akane foresaw it happening. It made things feel kind of motiveless in a boring way to me.

That doesn't bother me quite as much now (The bigger issue I think is that the cast is kind of dull when you don't have the mystery of what's going on to prop them up), but it still doesn't sit super well with me.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

did you not like S;G1's ending
I think it feels more earned after having played 0, but on its own it feels way too neat and perfect to me. The phone message from future Okabe is kind of a deus ex machina too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah that's the other thing, Steins;Gate itself has one of the most overall satisfying conclusion a VN so it's like...what are you even trying to say about that story/world at this point? On its own 0 struggles to tell a story of its own for the aformentioned reasons, but its actual connection back to the original isn't actually really resolving or adding anything that you didn't already assume was the case.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Best VN endings I've read are DR3 and S;G. I dont think of VNs having bad endings as a rule though, I've liked most of them tbh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 29, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

No Wave posted:

Best VN endings I've read are DR3 and S;G. I dont think of VNs having bad endings as a rule though, I've liked most of them tbh.

Fata Morgana's ending is incredibly satisfying.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Chaos;Child is loving excellent and the best entry in the Semicolon;Series (S;G, C;C, C;H, S;G0) that I've played, IMO. Don't go into it expecting a fun slice of life thing like early S;G (the composer described C;C as 'stormy' and S;G as 'clear weather') and make sure you get the fan-made improvement patch for this as well, it fixes the untranslated map and a lot of terminology.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it sucked but I'm having trouble articulating why other than 'it killed off characters I like just to make the main character miserable'.

Did you finish it? Because that is literally the point. It's not supposed to be uplifting or give you a happy ending, it's supposed to punch you in the face. You wanna be the hero of this story, well here you loving go. That whole concept and twist was honestly one of my favourite ever.

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

No Wave posted:

DR3's ending is great. I have a love-hate relationship with that series but they really stuck the landing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aesculus posted:

Chaos;Child is loving excellent and the best entry in the Semicolon;Series (S;G, C;C, C;H, S;G0) that I've played, IMO. Don't go into it expecting a fun slice of life thing like early S;G (the composer described C;C as 'stormy' and S;G as 'clear weather') and make sure you get the fan-made improvement patch for this as well, it fixes the untranslated map and a lot of terminology.

Did you finish it? Because that is literally the point. It's not supposed to be uplifting or give you a happy ending, it's supposed to punch you in the face. You wanna be the hero of this story, well here you loving go. That whole concept and twist was honestly one of my favourite ever.

I finished it and yeah that's why it sucks.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Fata Morgana's ending is incredibly satisfying.

It's honestly one of the best endings of anything I have ever seen.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Wait Chaos;Child is legit super good or something? High school students didn't appeal to me coming from Steins;Gate and the anime adaptation seemed awfully boring (but probably mostly a bad adaptation).

edit: I've actually played Chaos;Head back in the day and while it was a neat experience then I probably couldn't stomach it today (barely could back then).

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2019

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Chaos;Child the visual novel is very good. Chaos;Child the anime is hillariously bad. Don't watch either of the Chaos; animes.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Chaos;Child VN is fine, but not better than Steins;Gate

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

I'm still halfway through Chaos;Child, I liked a lot of the characters and the grisly, bizarre murder stuff but kinda zoned out right around the time the psychic anime swords are introduced. I did really like it up to that point, though - is it worth going back to?

I liked C;C a whole lot. Much more than I expected to. While I probably like S;G more as a "whole product", I would rank C;C pretty close to it (with probably the biggest difference being that I was not very fond of the "final true route" plot twist in C;C*, which is a shame because I really liked all the character routes).

Btw speaking of character routes, my favorite one was the ridiculous Kazuki route where she unleashes monsters on the world and basically totally owns the Committee by throwing the entire world into disarray. Also Hinae unquestionably has the most personal chemistry with the protagonist.

* This left me with a lot of questions about previous events. To what extent did the events of the common route actually happen? Given that Nono was actually Senri with the psychic power to make herself look like Nono, wouldn't she still look like young Nono to the outside world (since her power is to make her into Nono)? Or at least old Senri? I cannot conceive of how she would end up looking like an old Nono (who was in the photo Serika finds in the common route). It also just felt sorta...unnecessary? Like it didn't lead to me thinking back on previous events and going "aha!" I actually really liked the Serika common route twist, though. Pretty much every twist except for the big true route one was good.

Dessel posted:

Wait Chaos;Child is legit super good or something? High school students didn't appeal to me coming from Steins;Gate and the anime adaptation seemed awfully boring (but probably mostly a bad adaptation).

edit: I've actually played Chaos;Head back in the day and while it was a neat experience then I probably couldn't stomach it today (barely could back then).

It's legitimately good and not comparable with Chaos;Head. The HS setting doesn't have much of an impact on the plot at all (you might as well just replace Okabe's lab with the newspaper club).

Colorspray posted:

I wanted to check Ever17 too but I'm lazy and from my understanding seems to require a bit of :filez: and patching on a modded psp so...someone please tell me I'm wrong.

NRVNQSR posted:

Root Double is a more modern and easier to get alternative to Ever17; it might not hit quite the same highs but it comes close and is much more solid throughout. And if you like your VNs to start with ten to fifteen hours of slice of life it has you covered; just play Route B first.

I feel like Ever17 has a very different "feel" to it. There's something about Ever17's whole setting and "atmosphere" (which is helped a lot by the soundtrack) that I really liked a lot. I don't really get the "slice of life" complaints since I felt like it was more focused on the characters (and learning about them) than the "thriller" scenario. In retrospect you can very easily see how each route is filling in the blanks with regards to the setting and characters (culminating in the final route), whereas "slice of life" implies that there's no real "progress" and scenes just exist independently for the sake of entertainment.

People mention the twist a lot, and it's good, but I also thought the cast was really good, particularly for an older VN like that. One thing that stands out is that the characters, including female cast members, act independently and pursue their own goals, rather than just revolving around whoever is being controlled as the protagonist (and the protagonists also have their own distinct personalities). You (the character) is a good example of this (and probably my favorite character in the game). Rather than giving romance-based "routes," each player-character has a singular love interest (with the exception of the Sora route, which is a bit odd), which helps contribute to good and coherent characterization.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 1, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wish we had some way to play the 360 version in English since it added routes, scenes, and trimmed some of the fat :(

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
was it not, however, also hideously 3D?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gegi posted:

was it not, however, also hideously 3D?

It wasn't particularly hideous but also not great looking.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I finished Fata Morgana after being recommended it last week here.

(full spoilers obviously)

I thought it was super short when I was already at the fifth door 7 hours in or so but ha ha ha ha that's not even halfway through. It was good, especially near the end, but I didn't like how every character became hyper-cognizant of exactly what their faults were. Also felt a little off that in the ending Mell and Nellie get to date each other in their next life, I didn't feel like that was really the point there.

Honestly I don't think it will stick with me all that much beyond how disgusting and horrible it was for Morgana to have her arm cut off. The characters' problems just didn't really resonate with me despite how high-effort their suffering was. None of what happened to Michel/Giselle/Morgana during their lives was their fault.

It's the end of door 1 that has the most emotionally confusing/interesting part for me, where Mell finds himself chasing his half sister who he was in love with and she thinks they can't be together for dumb reasons and he knows they can't be together for very good reasons and he has no idea what to say or do. The rest was still entertaining but everything just felt like it was laid out a little too bare, where most characters are conflicted but know better (which I think is why the narrative needed a character as hosed up as the swordsman to complicate it) in very simple ways.

Either way nice read, and great use of visual novel storytelling mechanics (the torture sequence in door 2's use of sound effects is great, where it makes a squishing sound each time a finger is cut off/broken and the sound continues even after Yukimasa is done with every finger). Most of this post might come off as critical but I'm only trying to understand why it's not one of my absolute favorites when it's very well done, it's well worth reading.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 2, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

is punch line worth $20

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

is punch line worth $20

Punch line is absolute loving shite not worth five cents IMHO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed the Nonary Games remake in the Steam sale and have been reading it aloud on the TV with my wife who's never really had any exposure.

The number of times I almost inadvertently said something dumb and gave something away was staggering, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

voltcatfish posted:

is punch line worth $20

As someone with the platinum trophy no, just watch the anime if you're interested

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Think I'll pass on Punch Line, especially because 428 Shibuya Scramble is $15 :eyepop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's way better

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

voltcatfish posted:

Think I'll pass on Punch Line, especially because 428 Shibuya Scramble is $15 :eyepop:

Holy poo poo, thanks for making me aware of this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I started playing Nurse Love Syndrome and so far it's a lot better than Addiction, no little sister (NBR) love interest and the only pee mentioned has been in a purely professional capacity. I'm still expecting it to go full batshit eventually it's already obvious that the main character either has multiple personality disorder or is literally possessed but it's been a much more pleasant start.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sakurazuka posted:

I started playing Nurse Love Syndrome and so far it's a lot better than Addiction, no little sister (NBR) love interest and the only pee mentioned has been in a purely professional capacity. I'm still expecting it to go full batshit eventually it's already obvious that the main character either has multiple personality disorder or is literally possessed but it's been a much more pleasant start.

That spoiler... :frogon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm reading it very slowly but I'll let you know

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

I finished Fata Morgana after being recommended it last week here.

In my opinion the most compelling Fata Morgana character is Jacopo. I like his character because he is a bad person, but in a way that is very easy to believe and even sympathize with to some extent. I can understand why he just doubled-down after realizing the person he had the arm cut off of was Morgana, even if it was obviously an evil thing to do. Mell is also a pretty good character, in the sense of having some fairly realistic flaws (especially for a teenager). I feel like people are a bit too harsh on the Mell of Morgana's period, since he had some pretty legitimate reasons to not do the "right thing" (both in terms of leading Yukimasa to Morgana and in not letting Morgana free - in both cases he'd be putting both his and his sister's life at risk). Mell from Door 1 is far more guilty, since his crime is basically being completely oblivious to why his sister might not be happy about being married off to some random man as a young teen, though even then it's not hard to understand why (as a teen himself) he might be self-centered and not realize it (plus him likely thinking it was "normal").

People also tend to like Fata Morgana for the Michael/Giselle romance, which is pretty good as far as "VN romances" go, as well as the presentation of an intersex character (Michael) which is very rare in media in general. I initially did not pick up on Michael being intersex when I first read it, but someone explained how his symptoms were more or less the same as a certain form of intersex, and I believe the developer has confirmed this interpretation.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 8, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In FM I'm guessing it was intentional that unlikable/villain characters like Nellie and Maria (though I was pretty sympathetic to Nellie even in door 1 tbh) were the nicest people in the world in year 1k and Pauline, a super nice character in door 2 was UNBEARABLE in year 1k. Mell only comes off at all badly in 1k because Morgana was so nice to him so he owes her more, but I didnt see him as a bad guy and there's a reason Michael goes for him first.

Door 3 was a little silly and reminded me a bit of that "makes me crie everytime" meme. Not really a criticism when Michael himself thinks to himself that the white haired girl was a little too much when he meets her (for some reason I really liked that last scene with the sword with her though). I agree that the little we see of 1k Jacopo was really good and I latched onto the same detail - his saying he would have called it off if Morgana wasnt missing her arm.

As for intersex vs any other reason for not having genitals, idk i dont really know the difference in this case. I dont see it as especially progressive because in the ending I'd assumed he gets to have sex with Giselle with his penis. If there's reason to believe he's still missing one i guess I missed it.

tbh I've read enough VNs at this point that I can see the devices they're using to sell Giselle (make her attractive, embarrassed about something she did that's not her fault, have some cosmetic problem that doesnt make her less attractive, feel a stranger to everyone but the main character, etc) and she's super likable obviously but its not something that sticks with me especially. maybe i should take a break for a while idk. I thought Morgana was a more memorable character, and I liked her disappointment at how she thought the guy she liked kept coming back as a submissive girl. And how she only ever offers michael her bony skeleton hand to hold.

also - was there really not a word for "albino" in any of those time periods???? Somehow a VN with five albino characters in it never used the word.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 8, 2019

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What are the thread’s thoughts on Worldend Syndrome? Looks neat.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Just started reading Steins;Gate for the first time, made it to the start of the second chapter. It's very good so far, but definitely leans hard into the whole Japanese otaku shtick. Can't imagine someone that isn't already somewhat familiar with that particular subculture would get much out of it.

Unrelatedly, this reading experience inspired me to make a little bingo card. Suggestions for changes and/or additions extremely welcome.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

tbf like a third of those go into any pop-culture sci-fi.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SG appropriately introduces the reader to akihabara/chans/otaku stuff so you dont really need to be very familiar with anything. Its one of the reasons people recommend it as a first VN despite being a harem game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 9, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There are people that like Jacapo? I’m genuinely surprised by that. He was such an unsympathetic piece of poo poo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He's scum, obviously, but the VN created a situation where he did terrible things in a believable and recognizable way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always thought he was cartoonishly evil.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I always felt that (Fata Morgana spoilers) Jacobo was the basically a really realistic depiction of a lovely person, as opposed to the cartoon villainy you see in a ton of media. Like, he was the kind of guy that was controlling and lacked trust. He was also unable to really confront his problems whenever they were personal. Brave enough to gently caress over people in power? Sure. Brave enough to face his own personal flaws, or talk about difficult issues? He couldn't. Have a real intimate relationship? He was too guarded.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 10, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Mell from Door 1 is far more guilty, since his crime is basically being completely oblivious to why his sister might not be happy about being married off to some random man as a young teen, though even then it's not hard to understand why (as a teen himself) he might be self-centered and not realize it (plus him likely thinking it was "normal").
I liked door 1 because it wasn't clear exactly what Mell did wrong. Certainly he was far, far too cruel to Nellie at the play, no question there. But Nellie being showed off at her age wasnt unusual for the time period (according to the story), and Nellie's romantic feelings for Mell went way back. I think what went wrong is he was too attentive to Nellie until one day he decided he was completely done with her, he actually had to cut her off sooner, but again that's asking a lot of someone at his age with his disposition. Relating year 1k mell to year 1500 Mell is pretty hard tbh, it's not obvious like the other two, which is probably why the ending has the very confusing resolution of letting Mell and Nellie date each other in the present. Morgana had the biggest misunderstanding about Mell's role anyways so maybe he just did not need a whole lot of cosmic justice.

MegaZeroX posted:

I always felt that (Fata Morgana spoilers) Jacobo was the basically a really realistic depiction of a lovely person, as opposed to the cartoon villainy you see in a ton of media. Like, he wasn't the kind of guy that was controlling and lacked trust. He was also unable to really confront his problems whenever they were personal. Brave enough to gently caress over people in power? Sure. Brave enough to face his own personal flaws, or talk about difficult issues? He couldn't. Have a real intimate relationship? He was too guarded.
There are a lot of details that would let someone like this let himself get away with what he did. He never actually confessed to Morgana in the past so he could pretend he never really liked her, it was a plan he'd already resolved to go through with if it hadn't been Morgana, she'd already lost his arm and he couldn't figure out a way that he could resolve this well so he almost figured the damage was done. This sort of opportunism is very believable to me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I think the strongest part of Fata Morgana's follow up was seeing Jacopo's descent into becoming The Lord. I think it was very well done, and very believable how Jacopo was able to slip into that way of thinking. I forgot his name now, but that older man who was Jacopo's adviser was probably me favorite new character in the follow up as well. You get to see how Jacopo differs from Barnier even though at some point they can become almost distinguishable to Morgana.