Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

thanks to the information forbes put out today, we can see where roberts was renting pre-kickstarter. it was here and still a pretty swank fuckin place in marina del ray

now, that might be around $4.5 to $7k a month but as of today they are building a custom 4+ bedroom corner lot in the pacific palisades, complete with guest house (it looks like) and a pool with hot tub

the average price of a 3 bedroom house in that neighborhood is $3.5m, so the near $5m number doesn't seem too off the mark
jesus christ

quote:

Brand New Pacific Palisades home! Loaded with natural light, this elegant Cape Cod sits on a uniquely over-sized 9512 sq ft flat lot in the Alphabet Streets. The five bedrooms are spaced comfortably around the home, each featuring a walk-in closet and en-suite bathroom. The master suite has been meticulously crafted with high-vaulted ceilings, a stone fireplace, a large open balcony overlooking the backyard, and an exceptional closet for two. Designed for functionality and entertaining, the gourmet kitchen includes a centered custom table and island, stainless steel appliances and an open floor plan that effortlessly flows into the family room. An illuminated wine room, upstairs study nook, and home theater enhance the property's entertainment appeal. Behind the home's private gates, you will find lush landscaping, a large pool and spa, a built-in barbecue, and fire pit which sits upon a grass-woven patio. Just minutes from the new Caruso development, the beach, and hiking trails.

quote:

Last Sold Price: $4,700,000
Bedrooms: 5
Baths: 5.5
5,218 Sq. Ft.
$1044 / Sq. Ft.
that's some serious rich person poo poo. like I know some rich loving people and even they couldn't loving afford a place like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Oh crap I forgot to delete the thing we discussed before pushing the article.

Maybe the Shitizen's won't look close enough.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

gently caress!

Well, I spent a whole 2 minutes on that so you get to see it!

:lol:

I’m still around just been really busy but drat that Forbes article was a :chanpop:.

I never had a problem believing the Sandi Monica bloodbath story. Some of the specific claims seemed extreme yet the overall account was completely plausible. But it begged the question, “is she hot tempered or something worse?”

But there have been a lot of other dark moments over the years. The casual cruelty of donutgate. The childish tantrums on camera after. The perpetual lying about things easily disproven.

The Forbes stories really sharpen the picture, though. And darken it. I hope for her kids sake that’s not who she is anymore.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 2, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

:lol:

I’m still around just been really busy but drat that Forbes article was a :chanpop:.

I never had a problem believing the Sandi Monica bloodbath story. Some of the specific claims seemed extreme yet the overall account was completely plausible. But it begged the question, “is she hot tempered or something worse?”

We’ve seen so many other instances of her weird pathology over the years. The casual cruelty of donutgate. The childish tantrums on camera after. The brazen perpetual lying about things easily falsified.

The stalking and assault accounts really sharpen the focus, though. She sounds legimitely psychotic.

Oh well, she and Chris deserve each other. And little more. (Heaven help their kids!)

Well, at least one of them is partially protected by a restraining order.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
lmao @ chris roberts cheating on his wife and pretending not to recognise his mistress to the point of signing a restraining order when she breaks into his house

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
there's going to be an ars technica piece on this too btw as well as a WSJ/WaPo

hope your investors enjoy that, Chris

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

TheAgent posted:

Are we sure they can read?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Are we sure they can read?
:lokiohyes.gif:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

btw Mark W Day, founder of voidALPHA, is the father of Travis Day, the producer at CIG who quit amidst some rumormill poo poo way back in 2015

What a glorious shithole! I hope it gives and gives for years to come!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

Those two clickbait sites? psshaw!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

I don't even get a mention :(

I'm there twice.

:smuggo:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

that means, by the way, doing a 30 year mortgage they Backers are at bare loving minimum paying nearly $20,000/month for their home

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I mean, half a million a year in your mortgage means you have to be bringing in, at minimum, around $2.5m a year as a family

but I'm sure chris "the backers will never know" roberts is paying himself a humble c-suite executive salary and not around $2m+ a year

I think he has nothing short of $50 mil socked away.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The kid I feel the worst for is his kid with not-Sandi. I wonder if she sees him ever.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

DapperDon posted:

I think he has nothing short of $50 mil socked away.

I think I want a vacation house, let's push the release date back a few more years. What are we shooting for now, 2025? 2027?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AlbieQuirky posted:

The kid I feel the worst for is his kid with not-Sandi. I wonder if she sees him ever.

What if this whole thing has been a long con by Sandi and the lawyer and Chris is going to be left holding the bag when everything collapses? What if he is too dumb to know he's being conned and just dumb enough to believe in his ability to deliver what he's been promising after being goaded on by the Strangler and the Vampire?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
omg lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The article also flat out confirms that Chris was caught using MS game money to pay for the Wing Commander movie.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The article also flat out confirms that Chris was caught using MS game money to pay for the Wing Commander movie.

Yeah, but not the money that was earmarked for the game. Just like he doesn't use the money that is earmarked for publicity to develop SC.

What? Money is fungible so it doesn't really matter? Buy more ships!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Most people on reddit defending this seem to think that they have unlimited money therefore it's all fine and in fact it's good that it's taking forever.

I have no idea how they look at the alpha and conclude that it's anywhere even close to being on track for eventual completion.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlhbHP9Oyg

Whole video is funny, but skip to 4m45s for Star Citizen Forbes news

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Amethyst posted:

Most people on reddit defending this seem to think that they have unlimited money therefore it's all fine and in fact it's good that it's taking forever.

I have no idea how they look at the alpha and conclude that it's anywhere even close to being on track for eventual completion.

The article itself reminds them that the money is gone, it’s not like CIG just has 200 million sitting in the bank, the money is spent. They’ve had to take on loans and angel investments just to keep their lights on. But no one in the Citizenry even acknowledges this, or any of the gross personal and corporate extravagance that has wasted their money for 7 years. I mean just the salaries for Chris, Erin, Sandi and Ortwin must run at least 5 million year. But still they cling to the belief that SC is too big to fail, and if they just keep throwing money at Chris, eventually they’ll get the game of their dreams.

And you know what? At this point I fully support them, they should give every cent they have to this sleazy fraudulent failed hack. Chris and the remaining backers deserve each other.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Holy poo poo so Taco is one of those 8chan Clownworld White Supremecists. I always knew that sperg was a mental case off his meds. That kid that just shot up the Synagogue in Cali was one of those fuckers too. gently caress EVERYTHING about THAT guy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How do they know they only had $14m in the bank in 2017? That's truly extraordinary

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Amethyst posted:

How do they know they only had $14m in the bank in 2017? That's truly extraordinary

It’s from CIG’s own released financial report.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Pictured: Sandi Gardiner (2007)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

If i'm reading that "cumulative net position" table correctly it looks like they've barely been ahead of their costs this whole time? Crazy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I know i'm late to the party here but I'm absolutely stunned by that 2017 financials page. People reacted positively to this? It's a bonfire of money

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Amethyst posted:

This guy was one of the reporters.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/#b3cdff110223

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

It’s from CIG’s own released financial report.

Which has not been embellished in any shape or form. :angel:

Amethyst posted:

If i'm reading that "cumulative net position" table correctly it looks like they've barely been ahead of their costs this whole time? Crazy.

The more money there is to burn, the faster we must burn it! -Roberts' second rule of management.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Amethyst posted:

I know i'm late to the party here but I'm absolutely stunned by that 2017 financials page. People reacted positively to this? It's a bonfire of money

Backers rationalize: if they keep buying enough Jpegs, the show goes on. Therefore this is good for Star Citizen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amethyst posted:

It was pretty much an affirmation for this thread. Several us estimated they were blowing through $30-$40 million a year. Easily.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Amethyst posted:

"The current level of JPEG sales will go on forever or even accelerate as the game really comes together in current year +1."
"Chris can scale the scope of the game/size of the company to meet the pledge level."
"CIG can license its amazing video game technologies (aka its broken Cryengine mod) to other to companies and make a fortune."
"Squadron 42 will sell 10 million+ copies and fund Star Citizen's development for years."
"Star Citizen is so amazing that investors are knocking down CIG's door to try and get a piece of the action."
"CIG can monetize its backers even more! Here's three ways they can do it! Please daddy Chris take more of my money and call me a stupid slut!"

etc..etc...

The 30,000 or so remaining whales who CIG managed to trawl from the deepest darkest depths of the internet have irreparably broken brains. 15 years from now, people will still be mailing bags of cash directly to Chris' home in the Cayman Islands.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

Which has not been embellished in any shape or form. :angel:

Oh for sure. At the very least it's obvious they had a rather large cash crunch in 2018 and had to accept the 46 million dollar angel investment with a lot of strings attached.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 2, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Amethyst posted:

My favorite angle regarding this is although their latest investors only have a small fraction of the company by comparing their investment to CIG's totally realistic "valuation," in fact they hold immense power because it's their money that's supposed to see this bonfire to the finish line. If they cash our early, it's curtains. That pretty much puts them in charge. I think that's why so many promises have been walked back as they rush to release some form of this travesty as Squadron 42. It also gives Chris his go-to excuse when it all collapses: the investors (publishers) were pushing things out before they were ready.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

colonelwest posted:

"The current level of JPEG sales will go on forever or even accelerate as the game really comes together in current year +1."
"Chris can scale the scope of the game/size of the company to meet the pledge level."
"CIG can license its amazing video game technologies (aka its broken Cryengine mod) to other to companies and make a fortune."
"Squadron 42 will sell 10 million+ copies and fund Star Citizen's development for years."
"Star Citizen is so amazing that investors are knocking down CIG's door to try and get a piece of the action."
"CIG can monetize its backers even more! Here's three ways they can do it! Please daddy Chris take more of my money and call me a stupid slut!"

etc..etc...

The 30,000 or so remaining whales who CIG managed to trawl from the deepest darkest depths of the internet have irreparably broken brains. 15 years from now, people will still be mailing bags of cash directly to Chris' home in the Cayman Islands.

Yup, at first you will receive cheap plastic blow molds of the latest ship via mail and then a sturdy carboard 4x6 print of the latest ship design and then a hastily drawn ship like figure on college ruled paper and finally a hastily scribbled note on a cocktail napkin to "please send cash quickly they are going to break my legs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Whoa. This is pretty murderous.

They dug up some weird stuff.

Overall, CR is depicted as a slimy sort of guy as his his wife.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/867731394788720640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

That sonofabitch!